is this the most likeable bills team ever?

i've been a bills fan since somewhere in the late 80's, and while this team is unproven and hasn't "done anything yet", are they the most likeable bills team ever. i remember loving the 90's bills, but i also remember hearing stories of some of the players at the time not being the most humble, polite, or sociable people.

but this team, as currently constructed, seems to be full of great personalities with stories that make you really root for them. even the coach and gm seem to be wildly popular right now. and i'm glad to see that mr. wilson is being talked about with respect once again.

my memories of the bills' teams of the past do not stretch that far, but i know the general feeling right now so i ask the mighty collective of this board if there has ever been a more likeable cast of characters to wear the red, white and buffalo blue?

To quote Spinal Tap "Is this a joke"?

Talking about Duke Fame: "We had to apologize for him with our set. People were still booing him when we were on the stage."

Greatest quote in move history?

Perhaps that statement in of itself is as hyperbolic as the original post. Perhaps not.

At any rate, this Bills team is absolutely very likeable right now but may not be by about week 8 if they're not living up to the very lofty expectations we've created for them.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

They will be if they win the Superbowl. :)

Exactly, they could put together a team of gun-toting, wife head-butting, dwi-getting, scumbags, and if they win the Bowl, they're the most likeable Bills team ever...but yes, this is a very easy team to root for.

obviously if they win, they become more likable, but i think the OP's point is the individual personalities on the team and how easy it is to root for them

i agree, this team, without some of the egos like they've had in the past, combined with a bunch of late-round or undrafted longshots is a likable bunch...probably the most likable that i can remember

having said that, i believe that the main missing ingredient on this team will prove to be some sandpaper...in football, you need to have a few nasty, take-no-prisoners kind of players...as much as we hate wilfork, he's a perfect example

obviously if they win, they become more likable, but i think the OP's point is the individual personalities on the team and how easy it is to root for them

i agree, this team, without some of the egos like they've had in the past, combined with a bunch of late-round or undrafted longshots is a likable bunch...probably the most likable that i can remember

having said that, i believe that the main missing ingredient on this team will prove to be some sandpaper...in football, you need to have a few nasty, take-no-prisoners kind of players...as much as we hate wilfork, he's a perfect example

I think guys like Dareus, K. Williams, Levitre and Wood fit the sandpaper type.

yes, this is what i was getting at.

The most likable teams? The four superbowl team I guess. The second most likable team? the AFL champion teams. Winning makes a team likable in my book.

I flip-flop these. Todays athletes are merely mercenaries. The mid-60's teams were fun lovin' and much more closer to the area. Hell, they had to have other jobs in the off-season. The stories of Maquire, Dunaway etc live on in Buffalo lore. It was a time when you could take your own beer into the Rockpile and if you didn't like the way the Bills were playing, you shelled them with the emptys. Thankfully, that wasn't often, but opposing teams were scared to play here. That cast of characters launched our modern day team and Ill likely go to my grave believing they'll never be topped, SB win or not. JMO.

Talking about Duke Fame: "We had to apologize for him with our set. People were still booing him when we were on the stage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8lRXKctPI

Greatest quote in move history?

Perhaps that statement in of itself is as hyperbolic as the original post. Perhaps not.

At any rate, this Bills team is absolutely very likeable right now but may not be by about week 8 if they're not living up to the very lofty expectations we've created for them.

"We'd like to stand around and chat but we've gotta sit in the lobby and wait for the limo… "

This is a great team to root for. The best to root for? Perhaps. This is the best combination of hard working, determined yet humble, focused, self driven, team oriented, physically and mentally talented individuals full of potential that we've seen in a long time. Another strong draft and this will be revised. This team just has to win games now and live up to our expectations. Character-wise I cannot think of another team I would root for more in any era I've lived through as a fan.

Edited by Pilsner