Marcus Easley....the new James Hardy

K-Gun10

"Marcus Easley appeared to be getting squeezed out of reps with the second unit Monday. Ruvell Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt were all getting reps ahead of the former fourth-round pick Monday. It’s only one day. We’ll monitor it to see if it continues."

Starting to see quotes such as this day in and day out...not good. At least he has "a great upside" and "unlimited potential". He is probably going to wait until his 4th or 5th year to "unleash" it....kind of like McKelvin is according to people on this board.

Edited by Booger

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Marcus Easley appeared to be getting squeezed out of reps with the second unit Monday. Ruvell Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt were all getting reps ahead of the former fourth-round pick Monday. It’s only one day. We’ll monitor it to see if it continues."

Starting to see quotes such as this day in and day out...not good. At least he has "a great upside" and "unlimited potential". He is probably going to wait until his 4th or 5th year to "unleash" it....kind of like McKelvin is according to people on this board.

This sounds a lot like: "Three men enter, only one survives". I believe the coaches are giving these three guys reps to see who gets cut next.

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

That's how you make a football team being too valuable. I like Roosie way more than Easley, just because he has done it in games before and I think Fitz trusts him which cant be underestimated when the coaching staff talks about who to cut.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else think this way

Sorry, I just think this comparison was way off.

Hardy was considered one of the top WR's in that entire draft. Hardy looked awful when he was on the field, then got hurt, then beat up his dad.

Easley was a mid-round sleeper pick, who has looked pretty good when he has been on the field. He Blew out his knee and had heart problems.

Sure, they both got hurt, but that's a comparison you could make with about 1000 other NFL players...

This time of year, these types of quotes make perfect sense. Martin, Clowney, and Roosevelt all are somewhat long shot's to make the team. The Bills are probably giving these guys extended looks right now to see who (if any of them) survive the next round of cuts. I don't know that it necessarily mean Easley is bombing out.

Judging from what I have seen of Clowney, this guy is as good as gone... Or should be anyway, he stood out to me as the worst player on the roster on Thursday.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else think this way

In regards to the amount of dropped passes, I compare him to Josh Reed as Reed had a ton of dropped passes in his first four seasons as a Bill. Easley is a big, physical WR, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy, and has been too inconsistent.

This sounds a lot like: "Three men enter, only one survives". I believe the coaches are giving these three guys reps to see who gets cut next.

I think it's down to Martin and Roosevelt.

Martin: (+) Solid on special teams (-) Having a good camp but not known for having good hands.

Roosevelt: (+) Velcro hands, even when getting hit. Made plays in real games. (-) Probably a good punt catcher but otherwise of no use on special teams.

PTR

Easley was a mid-round sleeper pick, who has looked pretty good when he has been on the field. He Blew out his knee and had heart problems.

When has he been on the field? His NFL career stat's.............................all zero's.

When has he been on the field? His NFL career stat's.............................all zero's.

On the field, yes that's what I said. I didn't say regular season games. Training camps, pre-season games, ect...

I'll explain my stance on Easley a bit more for further clarity.

My point, and that post, was simply that his situation was not comparable to Hardy's. Hardy was a guy that failed miserably on and off the field as a high draft pick, his injury was just a foot note.

Easley has looked pretty good at times, but doesn't seem to catch the ball consistently. I don't think he's "great" (how could anyone, no ones seen enough), but I definitely think hes good enough to beat out the other scrubs the Bills have at WR.

I think his reported reduction in playing time today, was simply to get a closer look at the guys on the bubble (I'm thinking Clowney doesn't survive the next round of cuts). All other accounts of Easley seem to have been good.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think is boils down to their are people that believe in potential and people that believe in Results....

Easley is the very common blend of potential with limited results...

as a Bills fan you HAVE to want him to be sucessful, but as Bills fan you have to be a realist

Don't even in say that because Roosevelt would be a great Wes Welker understudy. You can see him excelling at the role. :sick: :sick: :sick:

I agree to a certain extent.

Did you see his first catch in the NFL? Then the one against the Giants?

He does seem to have velcro hands and has no fear to go after the ball. Those two qualities tend to do one well in the NFL, even without elite NFL speed.

The Chargers and Dolphins thought Welker was camp fodder too.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I agree to a certain extent.

Did you see his first catch in the NFL? Then the one against the Giants?

He does seem to have velcro hands and has no fear to go after the ball. Those two qualities tend to do one well in the NFL, even without elite NFL speed.

The Chargers and Dolphins thought Welker was camp fodder too.

Welker in any NFL system would be but Belichick knows how to use him. Much like Brady, the Patriots take good players and make them look like superstars.

Welker in any NFL system would be but Belichick knows how to use him. Much like Brady, the Patriots take good players and make them look like superstars.

Hence the original statement that I can see Roosevelt pning that Wes Welker role for the Pats and that would make me :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

How was Marcus a sleeper pick when has he ever played in a regular season game. That is crazy to call him a sleeper pick

Are you familiar with his career at UConn?

Easley is the poster boy for sleeper pick.

How was Marcus a sleeper pick when has he ever played in a regular season game. That is crazy to call him a sleeper pick

This is just a confusing post...How can a guy play a regular season game before he is drafted? He certainly played at UConn.

I'm not sure what you consider a sleeper pick to be, but for me it's a guy with big skills potential that doesn't get the same hype as other players at that talent level. After he was drafted the term "sleeper pick" was used quite frequently to describe Easley, I didn't make it up. A guy taken in the 4th round, with 2nd round potential (again, yes I know he hasn't shown it yet).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So if Welker went to SD now, or Denver, or NO or GB, they wouldn't know how to use him? He would suddenly no be able to catch the ball from the slot?

On the field, yes that's what I said. I didn't say regular season games. Training camps, pre-season games, ect...

The only thing that matters is Sunday. All that rest doesn't translate into W's. We have not seen the playoffs in 12 years so there is no time to get sentimental about guys that can't get to the field and help you win on Sunday.

You mention he played a lot at U Conn......................not according to this, couldn't get off the bench for 3 years

http://www.nfl.com/player/marcuseasley/497286/draft

So if Welker went to SD now, or Denver, or NO or GB, they wouldn't know how to use him? He would suddenly no be able to catch the ball from the slot?

Sure he'd catch passes with those teams but I highly doubt he'll have the kinda success he's having with the Patriots. The Patriots were the ones that practically discovered his abilities and used it to their benefits. Thats why they forked over a 2nd rounder for him. ANY team could've had him for a 2nd rounder or 1st. That's my point. If the Patriots hadn't traded for him and not given him the opportunity, Welker would be another white possession WR like Stokely. He was camp fodder before the Patriots made him who he is today.

You honestly think if we traded our 2nd round pick for Welker in 2007, and had him play for our team, he'd have 100 receptions, 1000 yds and close to 10 TDs? Sorry if I don't smoke the same stuff you're puffin.

Sure he'd catch passes with those teams but I highly doubt he'll have the kinda success he's having with the Patriots. The Patriots were the ones that practically discovered his abilities and used it to their benefits. Thats why they forked over a 2nd rounder for him. ANY team could've had him for a 2nd rounder or 1st. That's my point. If the Patriots hadn't traded for him and not given him the opportunity, Welker would be another white possession WR like Stokely. He was camp fodder before the Patriots made him who he is today.

The Patriots offered a 2nd round pick for camp fodder? I seriously doubt that. He had almost 70 receptions his last year in Miami. And he hurt the Pats* on occasion. He put himself on Belichick's radar.

GO BILLS!!!

The Patriots offered a 2nd round pick for camp fodder? I seriously doubt that. He had almost 70 receptions his last year in Miami. And he hurt the Pats* on occasion. He put himself on Belichick's radar.

GO BILLS!!!

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2788847

Yea you're right. I was wrong. Patriots never traded a 2nd and a 7th rounder for a Camp Fodder.

This is what I'm talking about. If the Bills did this, you'd be calling for someone's head and there's NO WAY Welker would be what he is today. Patriots pulled the trigger. Patriots made him a household name. If Welker was so AMAZING, why didn't we trade our 2nd for him? Why didn't ANY OTHER team make the move?

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Yea you're right. I was wrong. Patriots never traded a 2nd and a 7th rounder for a Camp Fodder.

This is what I'm talking about. If the Bills did this, you'd be calling for someone's head and there's NO WAY Welker would be what he is today. Patriots pulled the trigger. Patriots made him a household name. If Welker was so AMAZING, why didn't we trade our 2nd for him? Why didn't ANY OTHER team make the move?

Welker's situation was effected by his status as a restricted free agent. Perhaps that's one reason why other teams didn't get in on him? Then again, we don't know how many teams Welker did talk to, either. Another reason might be the contract that NE* signed him to. Maybe teams thought Welker wanted too much? If Miami wouldn't have matched the offer that NE* was going to make, they would have received a 2nd rounder anyway as compensation for losing their restricted FA.

I'm not sure where you're going with the "if the Bills did this..." argument. Although I think it's safe to say that Brady has had a lot to do with Welker's success and we haven't had a QB like him since Kelly, I wouldn't have minded the Bills doing it at all if they really thought Welker was a guy that could help. I give credit to NE* for specifically targeting the slot receiver they wanted.

GO BILLS!!!

You honestly think if we traded our 2nd round pick for Welker in 2007, and had him play for our team, he'd have 100 receptions, 1000 yds and close to 10 TDs? Sorry if I don't smoke the same stuff you're puffin.

Actually, no. As you see, I didn't list the Bills amongst those teams. Our OC doesn't use the slot like that.

Because we weren't paying attention? Because we reserve our 2nd round picks for guys like Troup and Hardy and Roscoe and.... Poz?

I suspect the meaning is that most don't use the number of quick passes to the slot to the degree bellicheat does...

You probably did name the few offenses that might do something similar with him.

I don't expect he would get many touches in Baltimore of frisco.

I wouldn't

I suspect the meaning is that most don't use the number of quick passes to the slot to the degree bellicheat does...

You probably did name the few offenses that might do something similar with him.

I don't expect he would get many touches in Baltimore of frisco.

I wouldn't

Quick slants to your slot receiver are a staple for any spread formation. The middle of the field invites it and it's the higher percentage pass.

GO BILLS!!!

so Easley had a good catch against Gilmore today in practice does this mean he gets a roster spot or is he still on the bubble

Not only a roster spot but also a spot on the Bills Wall of Fame

Why must you be so consistently negative about Easley? You continue to berate posters for being optimistic about his potential to be a contributor to this offense. Do you have something personal against him? Did he cut you off in traffic or something? Easley is a guy with great athletic ability who, because if serious injuries, remains to be unproven in regular season action. Why can't you just root for the kid, and let the cards fall where they may. Maybe he makes the roster and surprises us all....maybe he gets cut, never catches on in the NFL, and is a complete disappointment.

My point is...neither you or I (or anyone else on this board) can predict what will happen with Easley. I, personally, will continue to suspend my disbelief and hope for the best. Perhaps you should take that stance rather than being so negative.

Why must you be so consistently negative about Easley? You continue to berate posters for being optimistic about his potential to be a contributor to this offense. Do you have something personal against him? Did he cut you off in traffic or something? Easley is a guy with great athletic ability who, because if serious injuries, remains to be unproven in regular season action. Why can't you just root for the kid, and let the cards fall where they may. Maybe he makes the roster and surprises us all....maybe he gets cut, never catches on in the NFL, and is a complete disappointment.

My point is...neither you or I (or anyone else on this board) can predict what will happen with Easley. I, personally, will continue to suspend my disbelief and hope for the best. Perhaps you should take that stance rather than being so negative.

Because Booger is a "realist"

DIdnt you know? When posters go onto the board and do nothing but post negative bs they are "realists".....and everyone else is drinking the cool aid.

Isn't this what this board about people making 53 man rosters when we aren't in the offices, guessing how many WRs were keeping it's all speculation I was being serious with my question about if his catch over our "star" corner got him a spot on the roster or it if it's too late and his ticket is punch I try not to be negative about The Bills but if we keep him because we want to test his RAW talent and then in turn get rid of a solid guy like Roosevelt then I don't see the point. He's two years behind everyone and it's never good to be out of the game that long. So I'm not trying to kill the guy I'm trying to understand where he's at as a football player

Why must you be so consistently negative about Easley? You continue to berate posters for being optimistic about his potential to be a contributor to this offense. Do you have something personal against him? Did he cut you off in traffic or something?

Perhaps he lost to Easley in a chicken wing eating contest.

Just a thought.

Welker's situation was effected by his status as a restricted free agent. Perhaps that's one reason why other teams didn't get in on him? Then again, we don't know how many teams Welker did talk to, either. Another reason might be the contract that NE* signed him to. Maybe teams thought Welker wanted too much? If Miami wouldn't have matched the offer that NE* was going to make, they would have received a 2nd rounder anyway as compensation for losing their restricted FA.

I'm not sure where you're going with the "if the Bills did this..." argument. Although I think it's safe to say that Brady has had a lot to do with Welker's success and we haven't had a QB like him since Kelly, I wouldn't have minded the Bills doing it at all if they really thought Welker was a guy that could help. I give credit to NE* for specifically targeting the slot receiver they wanted.

GO BILLS!!!

IIRC, the pats* were going to "steal" Welker away from miami using a poison pill in the RFA contract offer. They are scum for using those tactics, but the situation would have been avoided had Miami not been cheap asses and simply put 1st or 1st/3rd tender on welker. Another 500k would have been the small cost to go from a 2nd to a 1st round tender.

http://www.boston.co...lker/?page=full

The Patriots were prepared to sign Welker to an offer sheet that included a "poison pill" that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match. Yet in hopes of avoiding the bad blood that sometimes can accompany offer sheets - the Seahawks and Vikings recently engaged in a nasty back and forth with offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and receiver Nate Burleson exchanging teams via offer sheets - the Patriots instead called the Dolphins and proposed a trade.
Edited by Ramius

WRT to Easley, Chan and co thought high enough of him that they started him the last two games of the preseason. If he is on the bubble, hopefully he puts it together. That said, what has Donald Jones actually done for the team? I mean really, 23 catches out of a starting receiver in 7 games? That is a freaking joke.

Miami was stupid for letting Welker go when he was starting to break out in their system. The Fish were epicly dumb for letting him go to New England*