Pats* O-line may be in trouble

Lothar

Not that I'm defending the Pats* or Tom Brady, but Peyton Manning was able to do a lot with a suspect line and RB by committee in Indy. A great QB can make up for a lot of deficincies in an offense.

Personally, I think what made the Patriots* so great over the years was their line. I think the proof of that is in the 2008 season, I know some posters want to say it was all Bellicheck, but he wasn't the one out there throwing the ball. Matt Cassell came in and the Patriots* didn't skip a beat, besides missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

If the Patriots* line truly is falling apart, I think this team won't be nearly as competative as some sports writers would have you believe.

actually they went 11-5. One of a very few teams to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I pointed out in another thread, if it were the Bills with these same O-line issues we would be jumping off the Peace Bridge. But because it's the Pats* they are picked to go to the Super Bowl. I don't care how great Brady is. You aren't going to win many games with no o-line or running game.

PTR

Look at the 2006 Colts & 2010 Packers. Heck even the 2009 Saints & 2011 Giants weren't great running attacks.

I'd rather have a go to top 5 pass offense than a top 5 rush attack.

Look at the 2006 Colts & 2010 Packers. Heck even the 2009 Saints & 2011 Giants weren't great running attacks.

I'd rather have a go to top 5 pass offense than a top 5 rush attack.

i hate to be the guy that always chimes in with "no the saints were great in 2009" however its one of the easier squads for me to toss around stats for and i believe the rushing attack was top 5 in the league, 4.5+ yards per carry, and 2000+ (and thats a decent sized plus tacked on the 2000) for the regular season and had 3 probowl lineman.

that said, i generally agree with your point. as long as you can keep your 3rd down conversions, and red zone productivity together having a league leading rushing game is not that big. a qb like brady who should be near 66% completions with really good targets in those areas should still survive.

Edited by NoSaint

It's going to be a tall order just replacing Light, who was a rock for them at LT. Mankins will be lucky to return before mid-season, which would put him at 9 months post-ACL surgery, and rushing it as it is. Koppen, another rock, is nearing the end and Connolly is an average player and won't be surrounded by Pro Bowlers. Vollmer has back issues and can't be counted on. And as for Waters, I doubt you'll see him back. He's 35-1/2, coming off the longest season he's ever had, and scheduled to make just $1.2M this year.

What is the status of Waters? Has he reported is he hurt? Multiple pro bowls and played at a high level last year. On what seems to be a weak line, it could make a huge difference if he plays or not. If it's just money, it would make sense for NE to up the ante. Of course Belicheck is a stubborn SOB. So who knows?

What is the status of Waters? Has he reported is he hurt? Multiple pro bowls and played at a high level last year. On what seems to be a weak line, it could make a huge difference if he plays or not. If it's just money, it would make sense for NE to up the ante. Of course Belicheck is a stubborn SOB. So who knows?

You're screen name is classless and considering the odds of the team leaving town after Ralph passes I don't get what you are so optimistic about.

PTR

The entire AFC East (except the Bills) are having some major "issues" - The Cheatriots are definitely having issues with their O-Line

And they have no pass rush to speak of.

The plan, apparently, is to use their TE's even more this year than last for quick strikes. To stoip them the Bills will have to play up close and force

Brady to go over the top - and quickly.

Brady is obviously a great QB and can do this effectively but it is my impression that if he takes enough hits he will start to flinch and throw early and

less accurately.

That's how I see the Bills-Cheats game. If the Bills knock Golden Boy around enough then they will probably outscore them.

So...I likey what I am hearing out of Cheatriot camp. Yep

Ray-Ray pretty much said that was the game plan v pats. They'd get in Brady's face early and often.

Seemed to work for them several times in the playoffs.

They had the pataies on the ropes last year then lee dropped the winning td and their kicker missed a Tieing Close range field goal. But they kept Timmy boy under wraps.

You're screen name is classless and considering the odds of the team leaving town after Ralph passes I don't get what you are so optimistic about.

PTR

"I really appreciate that Mr. Wilson brought our town a Pro team and I sure do love rooting for the Bills. He seems like a classy guy, but man does he give us a lousy team more often than not. He will likely pass away from old age this decade, and I sure hope the new owner brings us a consistent winner" seemed unwieldy as my screen name. So I just went with "life improves after Ralph."

My mind is warped and I appreciate dark humor, what can I say.

"I really appreciate that Mr. Wilson brought our town a Pro team and I sure do love rooting for the Bills. He seems like a classy guy, but man does he give us a lousy team more often than not. He will likely pass away from old age this decade, and I sure hope the new owner brings us a consistent winner" seemed unwieldy as my screen name. So I just went with "life improves after Ralph."

The grass is always greener, ain't it?

PTR

No idea what the status of Waters is other than he hasn't reported to the Pats. He joined them September 4th last year and played all 16 games, so he doesn't necessarily need training camp, but he's coming off the longest season of his career and he's scheduled to make just $1.2M this year. With Mankins likely being out at least another 3 months and Gallery retiring, he's probably looking for a lot more money to return. He doesn't owe the Pats anything and the chance to play for a SB (and lose again ;)) probably doesn't appeal to him anymore.

I don't disagree that the Bills line has issues, but some of your assertions...seem..like rather large leaps.

I'm curious what leads you to believe that Young is going to be cut? It seems likely they will keep 8-9 lineman.

i don't see the leaps. anyway, i figure Young may be cut based on the fact he was cut last year, wasn't he? thought he was on the PS. let's see... assuming starters are Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears, that leaves 3 or 4 spots:

1.) Hairston

2.) Rinehart

leaving Colin Brown, Mike Jasper, Zebrie Sanders, Sam Young, and a couple other undrafted fighting it out for 1 or 2 spots. i guess he could make it, if we keep 4 OT's (and with depth at other positons that may be hard), but he's a bubble player at best i'd think. point being, our starting 5 against the Skins would be one of the lowest rated in the league if it was our real lineup.. even if Hairston starts. much like what posters were saying about the Pats.

Edited by Brainiac72

Don't think that's humor at all. More stupidity and ignorance than anything else.

:thumbdown:

As I pointed out in another thread, if it were the Bills with these same O-line issues we would be jumping off the Peace Bridge. But because it's the Pats* they are picked to go to the Super Bowl. I don't care how great Brady is. You aren't going to win many games with no o-line or running game.

PTR

Given the Brady/Bellicheck track record, it's hard to pick against the Pats to repeat in the AFCE. But, their defense was truly bad last year and now their O Line looks to be in trouble. The Pats seem vulnerable. Just not sure if we - the Bills - have enough to overtake them.

I don't understand why everyone is so frightened by the Patriots and its a given that they will sweep us/win the division. First off, their offensive line is in trouble. Matt Light was a major piece to their success and he is done. They have to put in Solder who has very little experience to replace one their top linemen. Brian Waters looks like he is in trouble as well; not sure whether he will be able to go.

The Bills have completely reset their defense. We've brought in one of the top DE's in the NFL in Mario Williams. We stole the Patriots top pass rusher in Mark Anderson. Kyle Williams will be at 100% for the first time since 2010; don't sleep on that fact. Marcell Dareus looks he is ready to blow up entering his 2nd year after a very good rookie season in which he led the team in sacks. We have a true X-Factor in Shawn Merriman whom could offer up some big plays if healthy. With a line of that caliber, offenses are going to have some very tough decisions on whom to double team and what plays they will be able to run, I can see Anderson and Williams both having double digit sacks.

We were also able to beat NE last season with a lesser team then we have now; there is no arguing that this team hasn't improved drastically. I think this team can split with NE again this season. If they want to have a shot at taking away the division crown from NE, they will have to at least split with them for the tie break.

People are afraid of the Patriots, because the Bills have been perrenial whipping boys. They always find a way to lose. Let's just look at the 2003-2011 seasons. 1 win at home last year, 8 losses at home and another 9 losses on the road. That's 1-17. They'be been retooling this team every year, so optimism is nice, but it doesn't make it reality before they've even played a down.

Against the Jets, they fared a little better (albeit not much recently). 4 wins at home and 3 wins on the road. That's 7-11. Not horrible, but not where we would like to be. Miami on the other hand they have 5 home wins and 4 on the road. 9-8. At least that's a winning record.

At the end of the day, I don't think fans so much "fear" the Patriots as they recognize that they've had the Bills number for a long time. I definitely want to see the turnaround happen. I hope this defense is as good as their hype.

you can only spend so much time worrying about the opposition. what makes this year different is that the plan is in place to defend all things patriot. you have to hope our guys are good enough, stout enough, tough enough to work the plan installed by the dc. i like the fact that they are trying to mould a specific type of defense. i literally could not spend another year of watching brady stand back there and pick us apart for 60 minutes. could our system fail, yup, but they did some major work and let's hope it plays out.