FA Safety Jim Leonhard Visiting Bills

McGee had the same injury at about the same time so they’re probably on about the same pace to recovery…which doesn’t bode well for JL getting signed at this point but you never know, people do heal differently.

We cut JL because we had an up and coming safety named Ko Simpson. :doh: If healthy enough to contribute, signing JL would be a good for depth. I haven’t seen enough out of Searcy to know if we can count on him if Wilson or Byrd goes down. JL could pick up our defense in no time so even if we waited awhile to sign him, the lost time wouldn’t hurt him too badly.

Since we are thin at safety and looks like we might have to cut a decent CB, I wonder if McGee could play FS?

Only CB could see playing safety for us is Aaron Williams honestly. Think is only one that has skills that translate well to safety, and pretty sure he will be a starting CB this year. McGee is more of a slot CB if not starting than Safety skills wise.

My point really wasn't that against bringing him in, but that would like to see a younger player that they can develop step up than sign and older player on downside of career for 4th safety spot. But either they don't apparently have one they think can develop or they have some reason to be concerned about health of our current starters.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its pretty much a done deal that the Bills are going to bring him into camp. Obviously its going to be a camp tryout with no penalty of cutting him in the final cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the Bills scour the waiver wire for a veteran LB as a back up ESP if we suffer an injury there.

He cant play football for another month.

i can see he is a sentimental favorite, but we dont need veteran exp back there at all. and who ever we grab and we will get someone, better offer special teams ability. i hope we get a youngster from a team that has too much quality depth at the position. and i wish Jim well. good guy!

Two mentions of Jim Leon-hard in CB's Inside the Bills Blog:

Said safety George Wilson who was teammates with Leonhard for 3 years:

"I have a deep debt to Jimmy. When I first made the transition to safety Jimmy was that one guy who took time out of his own schedule to help me grasp the defense, to learn the playbook from a defensive standpoint. He helped to smooth that transition out for me."

And Chris Brown added what he heard about Leon-hard's physical condition following surgery for a torn patellar tendon last year:

"The feedback I was able to get concerning his workout with the Bills Friday morning is that he’s not all the way back yet from his surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. The situation is much the same with Terrence McGee, who if you’ve been out to practice have seen him laboring through drills at times.

Leonhard is about three to four weeks behind McGee in recovery. So signing him really isn’t an option right now.

I myself was wondering if the Bills doctors felt his knee would be ready in a month, could the Bills sign him now and place him on Active/PUP. That unfortunately is not allowed under league rules. Only a player that was already on the roster, but did not report to camp on time could be placed on Active/PUP once training camp has already begun."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Two mentions of Jim Leon-hard in CB's Inside the Bills Blog:

Said safety George Wilson who was teammates with Leonhard for 3 years:

"I have a deep debt to Jimmy. When I first made the transition to safety Jimmy was that one guy who took time out of his own schedule to help me grasp the defense, to learn the playbook from a defensive standpoint. He helped to smooth that transition out for me."

And Chris Brown added what he heard about Leon-hard's physical condition following surgery for a torn patellar tendon last year:

"The feedback I was able to get concerning his workout with the Bills Friday morning is that he’s not all the way back yet from his surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. The situation is much the same with Terrence McGee, who if you’ve been out to practice have seen him laboring through drills at times.

Leonhard is about three to four weeks behind McGee in recovery. So signing him really isn’t an option right now.

I myself was wondering if the Bills doctors felt his knee would be ready in a month, could the Bills sign him now and place him on Active/PUP. That unfortunately is not allowed under league rules. Only a player that was already on the roster, but did not report to camp on time could be placed on Active/PUP once training camp has already begun."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

this is the article i based most of my opinion upon. thanks for the post up.

Dont worry guys Buddy will find us a gem :thumbsup:

Signed with Denver, according to sources the Bills made an offer as well.

My link

That's interesting as it's not totally consistent with what Chris Brown reported.

Brown suggested that Leon-hard was not sufficiently recovered so I would guess that any offer by the Bills was filled with contingencies.

If the Bills made an offer, I'm confident that it was a fair offer and that they weren't committed to signing Leon-hard at any cost (see Tyson Clabo, Robert Meachem).

Said Chris Brown:

Leonhard signed with the Broncos over the Bills because he has a good chance to play on them, and little chance to play on the Bills. Brian Dawkins retired, and the other starting safety hurt his knee a week ago I think. Leonhard could even start if he is healthy enough. On the Bills he would be the #4 safety and not get in the game unless there were two injuries.

According to Chris Brown, the Bills did not offer Leon-hard a contract.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Whaley-likes-personnel-in-camp/f4c86e17-350b-4615-946e-3ea3544e0c96

That's because Ralph is cheap and nix went to sleep. Leonhardt just keeps taking his teams to the playoffs.

I am so done with this team.

(sarcasm meter value= 278/100)

as a backup if hes healthy sure I still don't understand the love affair with the guy though. He was awful when he was here. Consistenly behind in coverage and slow to react, and the only reason he ever started with the ravens is cause Dawan Landry was hurt. He wasn't all that good with the Jets either. Not bad for a depth player. As a special teams player for the Bills he's kind of useless. He's not gonna be a punt returner here. He's a ok tackler in the run game when he keeps the play infront of him. In coverage a liability.

Agree 100% If the knee is ok I would sign him as a backup Mark kelso type smart nose for the ball .