What position should we draft in round 1 next year?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we table this till we get into the season several games.

Anything that any one has to say at this time is total crap. How people play, injury, contracts will all tell what will happen.

CAN WE GET THIS SEASON STARTED BEFORE WE START THIS discussion .

Either trade up and get the first choice out of all QBs (if there is someone we like that much), or go best OL, DL, or LB.

WRs and the like can be found in later rounds. Keep stacking the trenches and Defense.

Especially after what we have seen in the last few years. It is amazing that some of the top WR's are already on Gooddell's naughty list, and just think how little it will take to get them to the next suspension? In todays NFL that's not much.

Yeah what Alphadawg said!

Good breakdown.

The only place I'd add is CB. The reality is as expected it depends on this year. Where are we drafting? How does Fitz do? Can McGee make the team, and how does he do in the nickel? Can McKelvin figure out how to pick off a ball? Do we have a talented Kuechly type LB available? TE? Nuff said. WR? We'll see.

Bottom line is let's focus on this year as there are so many variables no one can predict a good pick for next year.

I love the wiseass comment on searching high schools. Nice belly laugh on that one.

Second post but seriously don't you think this is a little early. You don't know how the unknowns shake out this year. You don't know who gets a career threatening injury this year. You don't know which older player starts to slow down. You don't know how the divisional talent develops this year. You don't know where we will be drafting. And finally you don't know how college talent develops if its the AB class of 83 again that's very different than a first round with six starting quality DEs

Can we table this till we get into the season several games.

Anything that any one has to say at this time is total crap. How people play, injury, contracts will all tell what will happen.

CAN WE GET THIS SEASON STARTED BEFORE WE START THIS discussion .

^ This.

I find it laughable that some people are even trying to answer this question before we're even finished with training camp, let alone the full 16 game season.

WR, LB, etc are our biggest needs on paper - but it would be a mistake imo to simply draft in the order of need. Chan's offense works without elite WRs and Wanny's defense emphasizes DLs and DBs, so probably will work without elite LBs (we'll see I guess). If we could pull an 1st round OG pick like Pittsburgh did this year, I would be ecstatic.

Edited by SoFFacet

I find it laughable that some people are even trying to answer this question before we're even finished with training camp, let alone the full 16 game season.

While we will have a much more accurate idea of what we really need by the end of the season, the question can still be answered based on a general drafting strategy.

My answer from earlier in the thread stands whether we are 0-16 or 19-0. Whether he performs at an all-pro level or not, Fitz will be done at the end of his contract and either way we sure could use a groomable back-up/future starter.

If we cant get the #1 QB in the draft, then keep stockpiling the trenches with the best talent possible. Maybe look at LB, but Im interested in what Carder and Bradham will bring to the table this year.

Either trade up and get the first choice out of all QBs (if there is someone we like that much), or go best OL, DL, or LB.

WRs and the like can be found in later rounds. Keep stacking the trenches and Defense.

^ This.

Really? Laughable?

I find it to be an entertaining exercise to consider this query. Even though it will mean next to nothing come draft next year. Not a bad way to measure a perpsctive on on drafting progress so far.

By the way "Franchise" QB is always at the top of the list. Even if i am not sure what that means anymore. I just want to win and realize we dont have Luck or Griffin so..

My answer, obtained by computer, based on my making both QB and WR a P2 this week!

Scroll Down to #16.

very interesting Astro. 6 5 wow zip line passing? wow again

Glad you feel we are going to have improved in the win loss column too!