Titans WR dead in apparent suicide

Police say a Tennessee Titans player has died of an apparent suicide.

Tampa police spokeswoman Andrea Davis says officers found 25-year-old O.J. Murdock inside his car Monday morning with what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The car was parked in front of Middleton High School, where Murdock attended school.

He was taken to Tampa General Hospital, where he later died.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/07/30/oj-murdock-dead-suicide.ap/index.html

These things are terrible. I always get a sickening feeling in my stomach when I read/hear stories like these when people take their own lives. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family members.

Terribly sad story.

Here's a few interesting facts about the deceased, O.J. Murdock.

His name is actually Orenthal James, obviously named after O.J. Simpson. He was 25 years old and was born in 1987.

O.J. Simpson became infamous when he was accused of the double murder in 1994… meaning that Murdock was named for O.J. Simpson before Simpson's fall from grace.

The second interesting fact is that Murdock spent two years at South Carolina where he was teammates of Kenny McKinley, the Denver Broncos wideout who committed suicide in 2010.

I expect that one of you sensitive soles, will delete this post. However in the meantime.... What a cowardly act. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "mental health disorders are complicated, at least he didn't harm someone else" blah,blah, blah.

Bottom line is he was too weak to deal with life so he took the easy way out and left family and friends to deal with the questions and pain.

*Life Improves after Ralph* I hope your post isn't deleted either. It's horrible that O.J. Murdock came to a point in his life that he couldn't handle it anymore and ended it all. It's just as tragic that his family and friends have to deal with his loss and thoughts of whether they could have intervened. You have a right to your opinion and for it to be heard. It promotes thought. I'm not going to agree or disagree with you at this point; it's just a sad situation for all concerned.

On a side note, in accordance to what Rob stated, your

screen name does you no favor.

Edited by Pilsner

I expect that one of you sensitive soles, will delete this post. However in the meantime.... What a cowardly act. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "mental health disorders are complicated, at least he didn't harm someone else" blah,blah, blah.

Bottom line is he was too weak to deal with life so he took the easy way out and left family and friends to deal with the questions and pain.

This post paired with your screen name makes me question your character.

This is a moronic response to a tragic event.

Sadly, it is not unexpected from someone with such an offensive screen name.

"sensitive soles" lets you know right away....and then a glance at the name.

"Life A R" - This situation calls for compassion and empathy for his this young man's friends and family; and I would add, for you as well. I hope his friends and family, are surrounded by people who will bring comfort and kindness.

Life, it's interesting, that we on this board talk about a lot of things, many times things not related at all to football. Incidents like this, should be a quiet reminder, that there is much more to life than football. I've grown to appreciate (and I think many others do as well), that there is much more to the posters on this board than their passion for the Buffalo Bills. We are all humans, with families and friends that we love--and lives that go way beyond these computer screens. The loss of a life that is way too young to die--no matter how it happened, is a vivid reminder to all of us here that there are things in each of our lives much more important than who will be playing Middle Linebacker for the Bills this season. I think for the most part, we all understand that, and when situations like this occur, the compassion and the things that we truly value in life, are demonstrated to each other.

Lifer, please try to "get that" as you become a part of this odd, but in its own unique way, community of TBD Buffalo Bills fans. We do really care about people and life, more than who the next owner, or number 2 reciever, of the Buffalo Bills will be.

Edited by CSBill

Your lack of education is apparent, and I'm not just referring to your feeble attempt to spell "souls." Mental health disorders are actual diseases of the brain. Succumbing to one is not an act of cowardice any more than would be dying from cancer. This young man did not handle his illness responsibly, but that has nothing to do with a lack of character.

From a person that has studied depression and anxiety and lives with it on a day to day basis, your post is insensitive at best and offensive at worst.

See what your trying to do is rationalize irrational thoughts. A person dealing with depression (which I am assuming the victim was going through) cannot do that. Simply cannot. I would never wish depression on my worst enemy. It is horrible, to battle your own thoughts, not be able to eat, sleep, think, socialize, anything really.

Try this. Go home. Sit in a closet for 24 hours. Then put ear muffs and gloves on and sit there for a week. Tell me then how rational your thoughts are. Thats what depression is like. Or maybe youd like my episodes where my heart rate skyrockets, I sweat uncontrollably, my mind races and its like having 500 people at once talking in your head each one telling you to do something different, to scream, to cry to run to lash out in anger, to slump over. Do that in a board meeting, during a test, on a date, in line at the grocery store. Then try telling yourself you are normal. Try dealing with that everyday for 20 years and calling someone weak you insensitive !@#$.

I'm lucky. I got help and plenty of people that never let me get to that point, but one or two things go differently when i was 19 and it might have turned out very differently

I hear where you’re coming from, I too despise people who whine about sensitive soles … darn it if your feet are too tender walk around for a few days without shoes … develop a few calluses … put your big boy panties on and … Ohhhhhhh you mean sensitive souls ……

nevermind

Hi , I don't post here very often , but I enjoy the information and discussions get on MY Bills . I am greatly heartened by the responses to " Lifer". Truly great fans , and more importantly great people.

Commiserations to the family, friends , and team mates of O.J Murdock.

Very well said Cap. I have a similar story to yours and totally relate to what you describe. Mental health issues are still taboo in the alpha male world sports. These guys have a lot of trouble asking for help because of the culture that surrounds them. God forbid someone accuses them of being weak. Or maybe they are accused of "being a headcase" or "bad for the locker room" (see Young, Vince). The only thing cowardly about a situation like this is the anonymous judging of a deathly ill young man.

From a person that has studied depression and anxiety and lives with it on a day to day basis, your post is insensitive at best and offensive at worst.

See what your trying to do is rationalize irrational thoughts. A person dealing with depression (which I am assuming the victim was going through) cannot do that. Simply cannot. I would never wish depression on my worst enemy. It is horrible, to battle your own thoughts, not be able to eat, sleep, think, socialize, anything really.

Try this. Go home. Sit in a closet for 24 hours. Then put ear muffs and gloves on and sit there for a week. Tell me then how rational your thoughts are. Thats what depression is like. Or maybe youd like my episodes where my heart rate skyrockets, I sweat uncontrollably, my mind races and its like having 500 people at once talking in your head each one telling you to do something different, to scream, to cry to run to lash out in anger, to slump over. Do that in a board meeting, during a test, on a date, in line at the grocery store. Then try telling yourself you are normal. Try dealing with that everyday for 20 years and calling someone weak you insensitive !@#$.

I'm lucky. I got help and plenty of people that never let me get to that point, but one or two things go differently when i was 19 and it might have turned out very differently