Taxi

All In The Family

Cheers

Seinfeld

Mary Tyler Moore

Soap

Friends

Entourage

But first all-time, and the only sitcom I own on DVD - Fawlty Towers!

Gotta add to this list another Brit comedy - The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (at least the first 2 seasons)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta add to this list another Brit comedy - The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (at least the first 2 seasons)

Yeah, the Brits have had so many great comedies over the years. From Monty Python's Flying Circus, to The Benny Hill Show, to Fawlty Towers.

Has anyone mentioned Flight of the Conchord's yet?

Married with children #1 of all time

Fresh prince #5

Martin #3

Saved by the bell #2

Seinfeld #4

Family matters #6

Now my kids like good look charlie

Married with children and the simpsons developed fox into the beast it is now.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Married with children #1 of all time

Fresh prince #5

Martin #3

Saved by the bell #2

Seinfeld #4

Family matters #6

Now my kids like good look charlie

Married with children and the simpsons developed fox into the beast it is now.

I was reading through this thread trying to think of anything I could add to this thread... and then you nail it with the last post I read. Married with Children was amazing.

Other than that, I would list a whole lot of what has been said already:

Cheers

Seinfeld

Fresh Prince

Let me add Petticoat Junction. As a young lad the opening theme song with them naked in the water tower was something to look forward to every week.

There's Uncle Joe

He's a movin' kinda slow

At the junction

Petticoat Junction

Let me add Petticoat Junction. As a young lad the opening theme song with them naked in the water tower was something to look forward to every week.

Yeah, that was quite an intro. Lori Saunders (Bobbie Jo) to me is one of the most beautiful females ever:

http://www.lorisaunders.com/pictures/N09.jpg

My favorite from that group of shows was Green Acres. It was utter nonsense and cracked me up.

Green Acres was just on... Anybody mention that?

Yeah, that was quite an intro. Lori Saunders (Bobbie Jo) to me is one of the most beautiful females ever:

http://www.lorisaund...ictures/N09.jpg

My favorite from that group of shows was Green Acres. It was utter nonsense and cracked me up.

:oops: :oops: :wallbash:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I just tivo'd a bunch of episodes on TV Land and I must say that it was not nearly as good as I remember.

No love for "who's the boss?"

Come on - Who's the Boss over Family Ties? That's not even in the same league. It's like thinking that Three's Company was better than MASH in the 70s.

Best episode ever was Tom Hanks as Elyce's alcoholic brother.

Forgot old Reggie. Leonard Rossiter was a fine comedy actor. Fall and Rise is being remade with Martin Clunes who starred in another fave:

Men Behaving Badly.

Also, the Young Ones did kind of live on in 'Bottom' with two of the stars continuing the anarchic (and violent) nature of the former show.

Finally Absolutely Fabulous had some pretty fine episodes as well.

Surprised no one has mentioned it. Frasier. What, it didn't win enough Emmys? It was many times better than it's offshoot source.

Ten years ago this would've been sacrilege, but Seinfeld has NOT aged well. Not at all.

I agree with your takes. A buddy of mine hit the nail on the head when he said that Frasier was the "wittiest" show on television. A bit high-brow for some but really well-written and developed characters.

I agree about Seinfeld… overrated and silly stupid… not really clever.

Fraiser has aged fairly well. I never enjoyed it during its airing but can enjoy reruns of it often. Friends, the other NBC show of the time did not age well at all!

Seinfeld was never a favorite of mine, I never watched it, never was impressed with it and I still hear about how everyone still loves the show.

Agreed.

Thank you. Seinfeld, to me, was a show with hilarious concepts and dreadful delivery. The best example is Festivus...the whole idea is funny, but that episode doesn't even scrape the surface of its potential humor. (In my opinion)

Plus, Jerry is just annoying and Kramer is semi-funny, but why does there need to be uproarious laughter and applause just because he enters a room? I get a kick out of George Costanza sometimes, though.

George is by far the funniest character on that show, IMO.

In pure ability to just make laugh, Beavis & Butthead does it every time for me.

Me too. For stupid, low-brow humor although I guess it lumps into the sub-category of animated shows.

Green Acres was just on... Anybody mention that?

I was gonna. Green Acres over Petticoat Junction for me. Hilariously corny and I could NEVER get enough of Hank Kimball's confusion or Mr. Haney's shucksterism. Classic corny shtick.

Glad to see a lot of love for The Larry Sanders Show. HBO has done so much to raise the bar on television serials. Dream On was groundbreaking too.

Specific episodes? The one Larry Sanders where Larry and Hank are feuding all show (Hank's feeling underappreciated and Larry's feeling insecure about his stardom).

At the end, they're live on set during a show that's going south and finally there's an awkward silence before Hank bails Larry out and salvages the show. There's a real nice moment right afterwards where they realize they need each other.

I loved Sage's write-up of Louie… makes me want to watch an episode.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

In no particular order:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (glad to see it getting a lot of love here)

Arrested Development

30 Rock

Trailer Park Boys

Better off Ted (short lived but really funny)

Cheers

Night Court

Reno 911

Saw some people mention Saved By the Bell and Soap, those didn't come to mind immediately but I enjoyed both of those a lot as well.

I agree about Seinfeld… overrated and silly stupid… not really clever.

You know, it's WAY over-used, but in this case it applies with how I look at Seinfeld now --- 9/11 changed everything about that show. Whenever I catch a bit of it in syndication, it's like a time capsule now. These four totally narcissistic self-ensconced people. Maybe I would see it differently in 50 years, maybe later generations will be able to appreciate it w/o connecting it to that day and everything that went on... but I doubt it.

The city, which was itself a character on that show as much as the Island was a character on LOST, in reality proved that either everything had changed or it wasn't that way to begin with. I can appreciate that they really applied the meta-criticism themselves and accepted the mantle that it was a "show about nothing." But at the same time, it really confined itself to its own very small corner of history.

The only thing that tarnishes Seinfeld for me is the fact that Seinfeld himself is a d-bag. Costanza rules, though, and I've had a thing for JLD ever since she was on SNL back in the early 80s.