Aaron Maybin and Scam Charities

I've heard before how charities run by athletes (and rich people of all stripes) can sometimes just be vehicles to enrich friends and relatives. I've never actually seen anything that lays it out like this. Pretty disgusting. TBD's favorite son is also involved:

Gang Green linebacker Aaron Maybin claims on his Web site that he has a nonprofit to help poor kids and that donations are tax-deductible. But his charity is registered as a for-profit company.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_jock_crock_rb6wV1sD4xhjejETfpRP3I

I was at a fundraiser for Tashard Choice's charity a couple months ago. I ended up bidding on (and winning) a signed Thurman Thomas full-size helmet. But the entire time I was there, it didn't really feel like a charity thing. I dont know. I dont have any evidence that Choice, or the guys running the production, were in it to keep the money, but that is kind of the way it came off.

The signed helmet for under $200 was a good deal in my book regardless, but I'd be interested in knowing exactly where the money ended up.

I don't know about that.

If I have to choose between Maybin being clever enough to run a charity scam, and Maybin being enough of a knucklehead to file a charity as a for-profit corporation, I know which way I'm leaning...

If I have to choose between Maybin being clever enough to run a charity scam, and Maybin being enough of a knucklehead to file a charity as a for-profit corporation, I know which way I'm leaning...

To that I would say he did neither… I'm guessing his people set it up for him and that Maybin was in a state of blissful ignorance.

the fact that maybin made tens of millions of dollars playing in the nfl---when he couldnt start for any SEC team--proves that he is brilliant and very aware.---or maybe I'm wrong--and it proves just how football stupid the Buffalo Bills were.

I've heard before how charities run by athletes (and rich people of all stripes) can sometimes just be vehicles to enrich friends and relatives. I've never actually seen anything that lays it out like this. Pretty disgusting. TBD's favorite son is also involved:

Gang Green linebacker Aaron Maybin claims on his Web site that he has a nonprofit to help poor kids and that donations are tax-deductible. But his charity is registered as a for-profit company.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_jock_crock_rb6wV1sD4xhjejETfpRP3I

Athletes and other rich people create foundations with a minumum investment of $250,000. From then on, all income is deposited into their foundation and it becomes tax free. All they have to do is donate 2% of their income to keep the foundation alive. It's usually not about philanthropy, as much it is about greed and avoiding paying income tax.

Maybin will make the Jets team this year, I am fairly certain. As much as he was a punching bag for NBills fans, he is a fan favorite on the JEts and contriuted actually, with multiple sacks.

Now a full off season to strengthen and work with the coaches, they will give him at least one more year.

If he does ok again this year, Maybin may have a nice 8-10 year NFL career.

Go figure.