Aaron Maybin and Scam Charities

If I'm not mistaken a non profit event or organization is only required to donate 10% of it's profits.

What's even worse, a lot of charities like this are increasingly getting rather creative on what they spend their money on - that 10% could go entirely to administrative costs - salaries, rent, vehicles, utilities, etc. and not on what the mission of the organization is. Fortunately, there are websites like Charity Navigator ( http://www.charitynavigator.org/ ) and others that actually rate Charities on such things as their financial health and transparency and accountability (you know, things that are pretty important). I'm pretty sure most people in the nonprofit world take these ratings pretty seriously, so if a charity isn't listed there (can't locate Maybin, Ferguson or CC's), they're probably not real charities.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

What's even worse, a lot of charities like this are increasingly getting rather creative on what they spend their money on - that 10% could go entirely to administrative costs - salaries, rent, vehicles, utilities, etc. and not on what the mission of the organization is. Fortunately, there are websites like Charity Navigator ( http://www.charitynavigator.org/ ) and others that actually rate Charities on such things as their financial health and transparency and accountability (you know, things that are pretty important). I'm pretty sure most people in the nonprofit world take these ratings pretty seriously, so if a charity isn't listed there (can't locate Maybin, Ferguson or CC's), they're probably not real charities.

or one of my favorites being "fundraising expenses" that can be promotional items manufactured and sold to them by a company with ownership on the board. take in 5 million, sign a contract for 5 mil worth of cheap plastic stuff to be made and pocket 4.5 mil in cash after you manufacture it yourself.

or one of my favorites being "fundraising expenses" that can be promotional items manufactured and sold to them by a company with ownership on the board. take in 5 million, sign a contract for 5 mil worth of cheap plastic stuff to be made and pocket 4.5 mil in cash after you manufacture it yourself.

What a scam. I never give to those charities in the grocery story checkout for that reason. I'd rather buy a deserving homeless person a meal. Which my wife and I did on numerous occasions. Or a family down on their luck camped out in a city park.If their sober they can get some cash.No United way fund needed.

Very few charities give 100% of their donations. One exception I am aware of, and I'm sure there are more. Is Elton John's Aids fund. Every penny goes into the charity.

A lot of scams were exposed in the Haiti earthquake Some by big name entertainment people.

the only way to be sure these days is to hand deliver the items/money to the people in need

Well, not necessarily. There certainly are plenty, plenty of good charities that try to keep administrative costs low and benefits to the community as high as possible.

A couple of things to look for: Is it named after a person? If so, is it locally based rather than nationally recognized? And is a family member of the person on the board or otherwise an administrator? Compare, for example, Gilda's Club or the Susan G. Komen foundation to some of the organizations in the article (and their local counterparts).

Has it been around for a long time? Is the organizer or namesake (if alive) actively involved in philanthropy?

Finally, and maybe most importantly, can you trace the organization's activities to a societal benefit? Two of my local favorites, Food Bank of WNY and Ronald McDonald house, have visible and tangible benefits. I can think of others, even some run by or on behalf of former Buffalo athletes, that seem to specialize in fundraising, advertising, lobbying, and golf tournaments--but I couldn't tell you what they actually do for the community. These, I avoid.

Maybin will make the Jets team this year, I am fairly certain. As much as he was a punching bag for NBills fans, he is a fan favorite on the JEts and contriuted actually, with multiple sacks.

Now a full off season to strengthen and work with the coaches, they will give him at least one more year.

If he does ok again this year, Maybin may have a nice 8-10 year NFL career.

Go figure.

He may only be a fan favorite with the jets fans because he was a Bills castoff who lucked into a few sacks. If they didn't get him from the Bills, the jet delusionals wouldn't care about Maybin in the least. He'd just be another former 1st rounder who busted into a borderline NFL player. He's just something they want to try and hold over out heads.

He may only be a fan favorite with the jets fans because he was a Bills castoff who lucked into a few sacks. If they didn't get him from the Bills, the jet delusionals wouldn't care about Maybin in the least. He'd just be another former 1st rounder who busted into a borderline NFL player. He's just something they want to try and hold over out heads.

i didnt realize they were so fixated on us.

i didnt realize they were so fixated on us.

I could very well be totally wrong, but I kind of see it like they just get rid of Vernon Gholston who was a first rounder who totally busted for them then turn around and sign Gholston 2.0 in Maybin. He lucks into a few garbage sacks and now he's a weapon. I kind of feel like the only reason a Jets fan would have to really talk about Maybin is to try and get the goat of Bills fans. Because outside of a handful of plays he was still pretty worthless. Again, I could be way off base. And if I amdodo ahead and tell me. Just kind of the way I read it.

there's most likely some truth to that...

they're still pissed about one of my all time favorite Bills, Lou Piccone... I distinctly remember his name always being announced in the same sentence as "... first down Buffalo!", by the stadium PA guy...in the offenses of today's nfl, he'd probably be an all-pro.

Well, not necessarily. There certainly are plenty, plenty of good charities that try to keep administrative costs low and benefits to the community as high as possible.

A couple of things to look for: Is it named after a person? If so, is it locally based rather than nationally recognized? And is a family member of the person on the board or otherwise an administrator? Compare, for example, Gilda's Club or the Susan G. Komen foundation to some of the organizations in the article (and their local counterparts).

Has it been around for a long time? Is the organizer or namesake (if alive) actively involved in philanthropy?

Finally, and maybe most importantly, can you trace the organization's activities to a societal benefit? Two of my local favorites, Food Bank of WNY and Ronald McDonald house, have visible and tangible benefits. I can think of others, even some run by or on behalf of former Buffalo athletes, that seem to specialize in fundraising, advertising, lobbying, and golf tournaments--but I couldn't tell you what they actually do for the community. These, I avoid.

Great call! these are charaties that really do something tangible.