Name a Superbowl winning team with a mediocre QB at the helm...

MClem06

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there been enough named yet to satisfy the question?

I mean, over half the Super Bowls have been won by big name QB's, and Fitz isn't a big name, like Rivers, Vick, Ryan, Flacco, or Dalton, or Schaub, or Cassel.

And how many Super Bowls have those guys been to? And did you really put Cassel and Dalton in there?

Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Joe Namath, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon. The fact that these guys have won a Super Bowl and names like Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morral, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Dan Fouts have never won a Super Bowl says you know nothing.

Brad Johnson had a pro-bowl caliber season in 2002. He'd a huge reason why the Buccs finally won it all.

Yeah, and Rypien had a great year in 1991 (92 SB) but he still was mediocre at best.

Name a really bad thread that gets several pages of riled up responses simply because it's the offseason.....

You didn't have to pay attention to it or respond to it.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Seems like every six months or so I gotta come along and remind some of you football illiterates that Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw are in the HOF for a reason: they were great QBs. Period.

Carry on.

GO BILLS!!!

I never said anything about mediocre, but I stand by the "low impact" designation.

Really not in the mood to split hairs, but the name of the thread is "Name a Superbowl winning team with a mediocre QB at the helm..." and your simple two-word response was "Eli Manning." Not sure how we were all supposed to read those two words and think "Oh, he didn't mean 'mediocre,' he meant 'low impact.'

Regardless, he is neither low impact nor mediocre. He was balls-to-the-walls stand-in-the-pocket fearless and accurate when it was needed, especially in crunch time.

Seems like every six months or so I gotta come along and remind some of you football illiterates that Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw are in the HOF for a reason: they were great QBs. Period.

Carry on.

GO BILLS!!!

Joe Namath was a great QB? LOL !!!!!!

Joe Namath was in the league for 12 years. 10 of those years, he had more INTs than TDs. 173 TDs and 220 INTs. 198 yds per game and posted a 62-63 record.

Yea those are HOF worthy numbers to me. :wallbash:

Yeah, and Rypien had a great year in 1991 (92 SB) but he still was mediocre at best.

I agree with you, but Rypien and Brad Johnson fall into a 3rd category of super bowl winning QBs...guys that aren't great, but had a great season that was used by their teams to propel them to a SB win. I feel Fitz falls into that category. He may never be great, but he's shows flashes of brilliance where its not impossible for him to go on a run, play a great season or latter 2/3rds of a season, and propel the Bills very far into the playoffs.

Joe Namath was a great QB? LOL !!!!!!

Joe Namath was in the league for 12 years. 10 of those years, he had more INTs than TDs. 173 TDs and 220 INTs. 198 yds per game and posted a 62-63 record.

Yea those are HOF worthy numbers to me. :wallbash:

The statistical argument never cuts it, especially for QBs. And especially for QBs that played in an entirely different era. The reasons would take too long to list and explain here. The stats argument also lacks the context of his actual prowess at the position. Although Namath had as fine an arm and release as anyone that ever played, it was his ability to call plays and execute a game plan that made him great. It's the difference between being a passer and being a QB. He was a great QB in every sense of the word. There's a reason he's in that HOF. And it ain't just because he won the first SB for the AFL. That was icing on the cake.

GO BILLS!!!

Eli lost 7 regular season games last year with great receivers and a top notch defense. If they had a reasonably tough division they wouldn't have cracked .500

I don't call that elite. He's certainly played well in the playoffs, even if he was a whiny baby when San Diego drafted him and he refused to play for them. Sorry but as nice as the guy seems now, that was a classless move and a horrible precedent to set for college athletes coming into the league thinking they can dictate where they go based on which city their daddy tells them they should be in.

Lame. He's lucky he got Cruz or that first ring he got would've been his last.

I think i hate everyone except the Bills now. That kind of makes me an elitist.

Trent Dilfer.

It doesnt officially count, but Brad Smith for the Ravens. He didnt win it all, but took the team far. He was far from flashy, but good enough to get the job done. I think if you plug Fitz into one of those teams, you would get just as far as Dilfer or Smith... Atleast lets hope so!

I completely agree with this. I mean, I was average prior to dating Kate Upton, but now I'm in the elite category.

Same basic principle.

And the point of this thread is whether an average guy can score Kate Upton, irrespective of how much his stock may increase afterwords. So you can see why ranting about how clutch Eli was in Super Bowls is pretty pointless.

Big Ben was pretty average in hist 1st SB...Of course he made up for it with that Final "Elwaysque" drive for 92 yards against Arizona in the next one.

The bottom line is that teams win SB due to a dominating defense, great special teams and good offense. There has rarely been a team that won purely on excelling on one side of the ball game. Even in the Baltimore win, Dilfer/Shannon Sharpe combination was pretty lethal. Even Brady's 3 SB wins have come with more of dominating defense and the one year they tried to win with their offense, god took it away with a miracle play.

i cant believe eli is on some of those lists. dude gets it done. i would be so stoked if eli was the bills qb.

This is a simple concept. The Eli Manning of 2007 is not the same quality of QB as the Eli Manning of 2012. If the Bills get anywhere as a team, I think it'll be based on the Giant's template. The Fitz of 20010/11 is very much like the E. Manning of 2007-2010.

Anybody mention Jim McMahon?

And how many Super Bowls have those guys been to? And did you really put Cassel and Dalton in there?

Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Joe Namath, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon. The fact that these guys have won a Super Bowl and names like Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morral, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Rich Gannon, Dan Fouts have never won a Super Bowl says you know nothing.

Earl Morrell and Johnny U both have SB rings... They won SB IV