Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen battle for Bills backup role

Here's what we know about the Buffalo Bills quarterback position:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick is paid like a franchise quarterback. Despite his struggles at the end of last season, he's going to be treated like an entrenched starter, unless he massively struggles this offseason.

2. Brad Smith has worked out almost exclusively at quarterback this offseason. (On Friday, he was at receiver.) Tim Graham of the Buffalo News passed along word Friday that coach Chan Gailey plans to use Smith as the team's No. 3 quarterback this year.

3. Gailey confirmed that the team will still use plenty of Wildcat offense with Smith at the helm.

4. Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen are battling for the backup job. With Smith's spot as the No. 3 quarterback secure, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the loser of the Thigpen/Young will be out of a job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829dd9c4/article/vince-young-tyler-thigpen-battle-for-bills-backup-role?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what we know about the Buffalo Bills quarterback position:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick is paid like a franchise quarterback. Despite his struggles at the end of last season, he's going to be treated like an entrenched starter, unless he massively struggles this offseason.

2. Brad Smith has worked out almost exclusively at quarterback this offseason. (On Friday, he was at receiver.) Tim Graham of the Buffalo News passed along word Friday that coach Chan Gailey plans to use Smith as the team's No. 3 quarterback this year.

3. Gailey confirmed that the team will still use plenty of Wildcat offense with Smith at the helm.

4. Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen are battling for the backup job. With Smith's spot as the No. 3 quarterback secure, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the loser of the Thigpen/Young will be out of a job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829dd9c4/article/vince-young-tyler-thigpen-battle-for-bills-backup-role?module=HP11_headline_stack

I think it's a very good situation for everyone involved. I love having competition on this team. Let them battle it out and may the best QB win!

After watching Thigpen last year, it's hard to imagine how bad VY would have to be to lose that competition.

Sage, Thigpen took 8 total snaps last year. He didn't lose any games (nor did he win any) based on those 8 snaps. Vince Young played complete games ... and was BEYOND horrible in every single one of them. I'm not saying Thigpen will or should win the number 2 spot. I'm just saying that if we're going to take last year into consideration, then I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Vince Young being on any sideline other than Buffalo's.

I think this is going to end up being VY or Brad that makes the team instead of Thigpen with Young running the wildcat plays if that's the direction they go. Just a hunch on my part

I really like the Young signing. Yes he has issues but is still only 28, is big, has a strong arm and can run

Sage, Thigpen took 8 total snaps last year. He didn't lose any games (nor did he win any) based on those 8 snaps. Vince Young played complete games ... and was BEYOND horrible in every single one of them. I'm not saying Thigpen will or should win the number 2 spot. I'm just saying that if we're going to take last year into consideration, then I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Vince Young being on any sideline other than Buffalo's.

Thigpen took more than eight snaps last year. He made eight pass attempts with three completions and one interception. It's hard to compare the two based on such a small amount of playing time compared to Young, but Young's completion percentage was much higher. And, if you compare their career stats, Young has had a much more productive career.

I'm certainly not a fan of Vince Young. I was highly skeptical when they signed him. But, now that he's here, we have to take the best QB for the job who can step in and be dynamic. Thigpen ain't that guy.

I think it's a very good situation for everyone involved. I love having competition on this team. Let them battle it out and may the best QB win!

Yes! Not only at QB, but there will also be big competitions at DE and DT, OT and OG, CB and LB, plus at RB we have our speedster draft pick coming into his own, and pushing our All-Pro performing vet. Camp ought to be really interesting this year! :thumbsup:

i hope young finally manages to put everything together and win the job, but frankly i dont think he has it in him. if he does manage to beat out thigpen it wont be because he outperforms him, it will be because chan see something he thinks he can work with should the time come when they have to start him. thigpen looked awful last preseason, but the fact remains that he was a sub-decent starter for kc and he knows the offense intimately. thats a ton for vy to overcome and i dont think he will. but he still might win the job based on his physical tools and perceived upside. if i had to bet, though, i would still put my money on thigpen

i hope young finally manages to put everything together and win the job, but frankly i dont think he has it in him. if he does manage to beat out thigpen it wont be because he outperforms him, it will be because chan see something he thinks he can work with should the time come when they have to start him. thigpen looked awful last preseason, but the fact remains that he was a sub-decent starter for kc and he knows the offense intimately. thats a ton for vy to overcome and i dont think he will. but he still might win the job based on his physical tools and perceived upside. if i had to bet, though, i would still put my money on thigpen

Interesting, I think Thiggy has a chance too, did you see him whipping the ball around in OTAs? To me it looks like he is throwing a better looking ball this year (from very limited film available on BB.com). I always thought maybe Chan was not all that pleased that his guy, had a former star brought in to compete not that I think he minds a lot but....it bares mention. Competition is always good. One of these guys, whoever wins the battle, has to be able to win if Fitz goes down. My only thought about Young is that he has won before (although it was a long time ago in the what have you done lately league) and that does help, plus he can run. Who ever wins I hope we don't see them much at all except when we are wiping the floor with a team.

I think this is going to end up being VY or Brad that makes the team instead of Thigpen with Young running the wildcat plays if that's the direction they go. Just a hunch on my part

I really like the Young signing. Yes he has issues but is still only 28, is big, has a strong arm and can run

This means nothing. Everything you described here, also describes Jamarcus Russell. He's big, cannon for an arm and mobile. Maybe we can get him to run the wildcat.

This means nothing. Everything you described here, also describes Jamarcus Russell. He's big, cannon for an arm and mobile. Maybe we can get him to run the wildcat.

Seriously?

It also describes Cam Newton but that's not the point here

Those are all qualities everyone wants in a QB and the fact the Bills got him for nothing with those qualities is a bonus which was my point

Try and keep up cool guy

Edited by Max997

Interesting, I think Thiggy has a chance too, did you see him whipping the ball around in OTAs? To me it looks like he is throwing a better looking ball this year (from very limited film available on BB.com). I always thought maybe Chan was not all that pleased that his guy, had a former star brought in to compete not that I think he minds a lot but....it bares mention. Competition is always good. One of these guys, whoever wins the battle, has to be able to win if Fitz goes down. My only thought about Young is that he has won before (although it was a long time ago in the what have you done lately league) and that does help, plus he can run. Who ever wins I hope we don't see them much at all except when we are wiping the floor with a team.

One guy's opinion:

Easley had another TD catch in the corner of the end zone on a ball thrown by Thigpen. Any practice I have seen in OTA’s Thigpen has struggled mightily with his accuracy, but this was a very well thrown ball. Early in practice Thigpen had Easley alone behind the defense, but underthrew it which allowed Searcy to get a hand on it.

link

the reports from OTA are creating a perception of competition. Both guys are hitting receivers now for deep passes. it's a load of hooey. Ryan is throwing spirals to beat the corners downfield woo hoo! thats because the defense is giving them something to feel good about.

Thiggy has no football awareness. Thats why he took one to the head after Fitz got pounded by London. It's all Hollywood snapshots and positive propaganda in the last week of these get togethers. Nothing wrong with that but just take it in with that in mind.

The upside is that our offense might be practicing against one of the better defenses in the NFL. They will improve just because of that.

Just wait till game day and Wanny takes the D off the leash.

yep.

good luck with that, every other team that has to play us this year.