Belicheat Strikes Again!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19345178/belichick-no-unwritten-rules-for-ballard-claim-very-disappointed-coughlin-agrees

When the Giants waived injured tight end Jake Ballard on Tuesday, they certainly didn't expect anyone to claim him. After all, Ballard's probably going to miss all of 2012 after tearing his ACL in the Super Bowl. But the Patriots -- who, as you know, lost that Super Bowl -- snatched him off waivers.

And that prompted a lot of questions as to whether or not the Pats violated any "unwritten" rules of NFL transactions. Bill Belichick, who was asked those questions, scoffed at the notion on Wednesday.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All's fair. Ballard won't play in 2012, seeing as how he tore his ACL and had the repair plus microfracture surgery in February. And after this season, he'll be a RFA.

is he an RFA next year? I heard them quoting his salary for next year. Of course it could have been an assumed level of tender but it certainly wasnt specified, and they didnt mention any compensation possibility when discussing it. They being espn who easily could have dropped the ball.

is he an RFA next year? I heard them quoting his salary for next year. Of course it could have been an assumed level of tender but it certainly wasnt specified, and they didnt mention any compensation possibility when discussing it. They being espn who easily could have dropped the ball.

Rotoworld has his listed as making $540K this coming year and being a RFA in 2013.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19345178/belichick-no-unwritten-rules-for-ballard-claim-very-disappointed-coughlin-agrees

When the Giants waived injured tight end Jake Ballard on Tuesday, they certainly didn't expect anyone to claim him. After all, Ballard's probably going to miss all of 2012 after tearing his ACL in the Super Bowl. But the Patriots -- who, as you know, lost that Super Bowl -- snatched him off waivers.

And that prompted a lot of questions as to whether or not the Pats violated any "unwritten" rules of NFL transactions. Bill Belichick, who was asked those questions, scoffed at the notion on Wednesday.

why work any harder to dislike the pats than you have to? an unwritten rule simply means there is no rule at all. as much as i despise bb, i'd scoff too.

Lol, this is lame...there is no unwritten rule and there is nothing to see here. This happens all the time, and Giants took a risk and it back fired. They are stupid for taking the risk on a guy they did not want to give up.

Meh...it's actually kinda funny to watch these two girls (Belicheat* & Coughlin) kick and scratch and pull each other's hair!

Ballard's 1-yard TD catch with 17 seconds to go ends a NE* 20-game win streak at home (Foxboro*) last November, then NJ beat NE* in the SB. In an extremely petty move by a guy* already well -stocked at the TE position, Belicheat* sees an opportunity to tweak Couglin's nose by taking a guy who can't play a down this season, and becomes an RFA when the season ends.

The Patriots are well-stocked at tight end with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, but Bill Belichick has made these types of unconventional moves before. Belichick scoffed at the notion he broke some unwritten rule about claiming an injured player.

“First of all, there aren’t any unwrittens,’’ Belichick said in New England. “Any time you put a player on waivers, you know there are 31 teams out there that can take him if they want him. We all know that.”

Ballard, 24, caught 38 passes last season, was a revelation for the Giants and wanted to stay. He arrived at the Giants facility on Tuesday figuring he’d cleared waivers but was informed that the Patriots claimed him at 3:50 p.m., 10 minutes before the waiver deadline. “Obviously he built a reputation here, he’s very close with the guys here, the staff, the team,’’ tight end Travis Beckum said, “and I think if he could have picked he would have picked to stay here, but that is not how the NFL works.’’

(link - NY Post)

Would be a real pisser if the Giants signed him back next Spring! :lol:

(Personally, I loved it when Buddy and Chan grabbed NE* 5th-round pick - Marshall TE Lee Smith - off waivers last season just before Belicheat could sign Smith to the NE* PS!)

GO BILLSSS!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!! :beer:

It sucks most for Ballard. Pats really don't have a need for him, but he is sort of in limbo...

Exactly what I was thinking; he's probably broken hearted. It's one thing to change teams for a better opportunity, but he's unlikely to ever play for the Pats and now loses his connection to the Giants while rehabbing his injury.

What about Lawyer Milloy? He wasn't on waivers, but the Bills did grab him less than a week before the home opener against the Pats*.

Yeah...a bit different in that the Cheats* weren't trying to keep Milloy, or 'hide' him on IR, PUP, etc. They just outright released Milloy 5 days before the start of the season after failing to agree on a renegotiated deal.

(Still, I'm pretty sure Belicheat* was caught a bit 'flat-footed' whe the Bills signed Milloy the next day - just in time to get the entire NE* game plan and trounce the Cheatriettes* 31-0 !!!!!!)