Belicheat Strikes Again!

And that prompted a lot of questions as to whether or not the Pats violated any "unwritten" rules of NFL transactions. Bill Belichick, who was asked those questions, scoffed at the notion on Wednesday.

Tom Landry used to do this. Every year after the final cuts he'd pick up some guy from the team they played in the opener. Curly Lambueu George Halas and those guys probably used to do it too.

"unwritten" rules only means there ain't a rule against it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is ample evidence to know when he'll likely be returning and what the odds of him returning will be, given his injuries. But yes, as I've said before, it's a low-risk move.

Sorry, I don't buy that all teams (but the Pats and Giants) believe that Ballard's injury is a career threatening one.

Sorry, I don't buy that all teams (but the Pats and Giants) believe that Ballard's injury is a career threatening one.

Why would not one of the 30 other teams not do the same thing the Pats did, given it was such a low risk move? You think the Pats have some special knowledge of Ballard's situation? And I don't even know if I'd say the Giants don't believe his injury is career threatening, considering they were willing to risk losing him rather than cut the 90th-best player on their roster in order to keep him.

Why would not one of the 30 other teams not do the same thing the Pats did, given it was such a low risk move? You think the Pats have some special knowledge of Ballard's situation? And I don't even know if I'd say the Giants don't believe his injury is career threatening, considering they were willing to risk losing him rather than cut the 90th-best player on their roster in order to keep him.

I often wonder why a bunch of teams don't do what the Pats do on a regular basis but have stopped wondering about that for some time now. It may well be that the other teams believe Ballard's injury is career threatening but, outside of having his medical charts and papers, they'd be wildly guessing.

The Giants made a blunder is what happened. Reese admitted they expected Ballard to make it through waivers in order that they could retain him. What Reese miscalculated is that the Pats would jump in and steal him away.

My link

My link

I often wonder why a bunch of teams don't do what the Pats do on a regular basis but have stopped wondering about that for some time now. It may well be that the other teams believe Ballard's injury is career threatening but, outside of having his medical charts and papers, they'd be wildly guessing.

The Giants made a blunder is what happened. Reese admitted they expected Ballard to make it through waivers in order that they could retain him. What Reese miscalculated is that the Pats would jump in and steal him away.

My link

My link

Wait, who would be "wildly guessing?" The Pats, who didn't have Ballard's medical charts and papers before claiming him off of waivers, or the 30 other teams who also didn't have his medical charts and papers but said "no thanks?" Again, the Giants had his medical charts and papers, and were willing to expose him to the waiver wire, where all it takes is one team to claim him (which is exactly what happened!), rather than cut a future fast food worker so as to ensure they could keep him. Regardless of what Reese expected.

Wait, who would be "wildly guessing?" The Pats, who didn't have Ballard's medical charts and papers before claiming him off of waivers, or the 30 other teams who also didn't have his medical charts and papers but said "no thanks?" Again, the Giants had his medical charts and papers, and were willing to expose him to the waiver wire, where all it takes is one team to claim him (which is exactly what happened!), rather than cut a future fast food worker so as to ensure they could keep him. Regardless of what Reese expected.

Rather than wildly guessing, the Pats actually claimed Ballard and will now employ a medical and training staff to decide his health and help nurture him back to the field.

Didn't we get Brad Smith from the Jets last year? Didn't we sign Anderson away from the Patsies this year? Didn't we sign Ty Law when he was cut on the last cut about 10 or so years ago? Maybe we do it too?

Edited by reddogblitz

Rather than wildly guessing, the Pats actually claimed Ballard and will now employ a medical and training staff to decide his health and help nurture him back to the field.

Do you think that if the Giants believed Ballard could make it back to the field this year, or come back to his previous form, they'd have cut him and subjected him to waivers? No. And again, they had his medical history while the Pats didn't.

Do you think that if the Giants believed Ballard could make it back to the field this year, or come back to his previous form, they'd have cut him and subjected him to waivers? No. And again, they had his medical history while the Pats didn't.

I would be wildly guessing with my answer to this question. :P