Game of Thrones Season 2

Season 2 concluded this past Sunday...What did we all think of it?

I don't like that they changed a LOT of the story, but I understand why. The books are so detailed it would be hard to translate some of it.

The battle of the blackwater was epic! Again, it strays from the book but I thought HBO did a great job with it. I'm disappointed they left out the chain though.

Season 2 concluded this past Sunday...What did we all think of it?

I don't like that they changed a LOT of the story, but I understand why. The books are so detailed it would be hard to translate some of it.

The battle of the blackwater was epic! Again, it strays from the book but I thought HBO did a great job with it. I'm disappointed they left out the chain though.

Season 2 got me hooked. Haven't seen season 1 yet. So by your comment I should read the damn books then huh? And what the hell were those zombie things at the end?

Edited by Kevin

I highly suggest reading the books. They're about 1,000 pages each (there are 5) but they are awesome. The books explain things in much more detail, which makes watching the HBO show much easier to understand.

I watched season 1 before I read any of the books and was instantly hooked. The "zombie things" at the end were the "white walkers"...You need to go read the first book "The Game of Thrones" :)

I read all 5 books before Season 2 aired because I couldn't stand not knowing what happened. I don't read many books so for me to read 5... back to back...it's a great series.

ALSO do NOT go to the wikipedia page for "Game of Thrones" if you don't want to see spoilers...it summarizes the entire series there so don't ruin it for yourself if you plan on reading the books!

Edited by cantankerous

The first three books in this series were some of the best sci if I have ever read. However, the last two did little to advance the story, and were litttle more than bloated descriptions of what everyone ate, or wore, or what their flag looked like sprinkled in with some Martin classic lines such as about 1000 " you know nothin John Snows", " if I look back I am lost" and gratuitous sexual content. A more appropriate title for book 5 would have been, "A Lacking of Editors". I fear this series will go much like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and never be completed...

Edited by TheMadCap

Season 2 got me hooked. Haven't seen season 1 yet. So by your comment I should read the damn books then huh? And what the hell were those zombie things at the end?

How did you understand the plot/know who the characters were?

How did you understand the plot/know who the characters were?

It took me a few episodes to figure some of it out. But I have a TON of questions. I'm gonna sit down this weekend and watch the first season. My wife's also gonna get the books so we can read those as well.

I started reading the books a couple of months ago and am currently about halfway through #4. You should definitely read them. There's far more depth there than they get into with the series, not to mention that they're better.

Question... at the current rate of progress, how many more seasons is this going to be on?

Really like Peter Dinklage's portrayal.

Haven't read the books either, but it's something I might get around to. Still, there's a whole 'I don't want to spoil the show' factor there that's the corollary to the old complaint.... Despite my academic achievements (3.9 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa) I am a really slow reader. Might put it on my iPad and run the text-to-audio thing while I'm washing dishes and such.

I have all the books and started reading through the first after season 1 ended. Not much of a reader though, so I never finished. My wife read into book three but said it kind of ruined the show as they change some of the details.

I'm just going to ride out the HBO series, as hard as it is to now have to wait until March 2013.

Peter Dinklage rocks in the show.

Books 4 & 5 definitely drag a bit, as it was supposed to be 1 story, but Martin apparently had more to say. So the story ended up being a bit awkwardly split in two, as some major characters don't really appear in a lot of book 4. But with the pacing of the HBO show, a lot of that can be cleaned up. Although book 5 ended with enough to hopefully keep me intrigued until book 6. Unless Martin takes another 6 !@#$ing years to write a book. I hope it only took 6 years because he spent so much time getting the TV show underway...

I think there are supposed to be 7 books total (but it used to be 6 at one point, so 7 could turn into 10 or 12...)

At the pace of the show I think they are trying to do a book a season. At least that's what they did with season 1 and book 1.

Good book series, and good TV show (at least season 1, since I'm too cheap to pay for HBO).

Oh, and Peter Dinklage rocks. Perfect guy for an awesome role.

Peter Dinklage rocks in the show.

Books 4 & 5 definitely drag a bit, as it was supposed to be 1 story, but Martin apparently had more to say. So the story ended up being a bit awkwardly split in two, as some major characters don't really appear in a lot of book 4. But with the pacing of the HBO show, a lot of that can be cleaned up. Although book 5 ended with enough to hopefully keep me intrigued until book 6. Unless Martin takes another 6 !@#$ing years to write a book. I hope it only took 6 years because he spent so much time getting the TV show underway...

I think there are supposed to be 7 books total (but it used to be 6 at one point, so 7 could turn into 10 or 12...)

At the pace of the show I think they are trying to do a book a season. At least that's what they did with season 1 and book 1.

Good book series, and good TV show (at least season 1, since I'm too cheap to pay for HBO).

Oh, and Peter Dinklage rocks. Perfect guy for an awesome role.

To your point about taking so long between books (only to have Martin lay the turd that was Book 5), I am very hopefull that the HBO series will get him to come out with books a bit faster. He has been on record before saying that he'll take as long as he wants, and will NOT be forced into rushing something out due to fan impatience. Perhaps corporate influence will spur him on where the fans could not...

Edited by TheMadCap

Just watched the first two episodes. :censored: Lanisters.

This is not really a spoiler, because I am not going to reveal any details, but highlight to read this about the Lannisters:

Jaime Lannister becomes the most sympathetic character in the series in the later books. You WILL feel sorry for him and begin to like him! I guarantee it!

Finished season one on HBOgo.com. DAMN. Almost a year til the next season. My wife went to our local library and tried to rent the books, and there is a 30 person waiting list.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't really know anything about the show, but for some reason decided to check it out by renting the first couple of episodes through Blockbuster two weeks ago. I was immediately hooked and just finished the entire two seasons last night. It's one of the few things I've ever watched where you can't predict where it's going. More precisely, who dies. So many interesting characters, especially the women characters.

As the 3rd season starts, I'm not looking forward to having to wait a week between episodes.

Didn't really know anything about the show, but for some reason decided to check it out by renting the first couple of episodes through Blockbuster two weeks ago. I was immediately hooked and just finished the entire two seasons last night. It's one of the few things I've ever watched where you can't predict where it's going. More precisely, who dies. So many interesting characters, especially the women characters.

As the 3rd season starts, I'm not looking forward to having to wait a week between episodes.

The unpredictability will continue.

• 2 months later...

Holy crap! I had a difficult time sleeping after last night's episode. That was disturbing.

Game changer to be sure...haven't read the books so that was not completely expected. :cry:

Edited by Buftex

I

Yes a wedding took place. It was a stunner.

Nice. Unfortunately I am a year behind on the HBO series. I have to wait until next year to buy them when they come out.

I tried to get my wife to watch them with me, but the season 1 finale pissed her off too much. She likes very predictable shows, and doesn't like it when harm comes the characters she likes.

Holy crapper - heck of an episode!

I was traveling and saw the tweets (GOT was Crazy! Gamechanger!, etc.). As I watched and was near the end I thought "well, there were some big moves made, pretty crazy.", then it got real. :D

Best show out there, you just never know what to expect...

I'm not sure if I would like the series so much if I had read the books first? I read the first book after watching the first season and was amazed at how closely the series followed the book. Haven't read the rest of them though.