Kelsay, Johnson, or Edwards, who gets cut?

TPS

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Edwards is a quality player, but he might be a square peg trying to fit into a round hole at DT. He would be my guess too if one of the 3 are cut. Kelsey isn't going anywhere.

Edwards strikes me as the most likely out of the 3, considering his style suits the 3-4 much better and his somewhat sizable salary for a backup D-Lineman. The coaching staff is seemingly big on Kelsay and his leadership while Johnson's versatility buys him another year.

Most people are thinking Edwards (as well as I am), but the fact of the matter is so far Edwards was lining up next to Marcell first while Kyle was out in camp. I have a feeling the coaching staff really like Edwards (especially Wannstedt with his comments about his quick feet) because the like lighter quicker fast DT's as opposed to the big plugger types

Out of these 3, I’d say Edwards is the odd man out. I believe he is better suited to be a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT. I’d like to see him get traded so we could get something for him but I don’t think that’s very likely. Like it or not, I believe Kelsay is here for at least one more year and Johnson can play both DT and DE.

Most people are thinking Edwards (as well as I am), but the fact of the matter is so far Edwards was lining up next to Marcell first while Kyle was out in camp. I have a feeling the coaching staff really like Edwards (especially Wannstedt with his comments about his quick feet) because the like lighter quicker fast DT's as opposed to the big plugger types

This. Wanny specifically mentioned that Edwards "is an athlete" and they're not asking the DTs to "take up blocks." Wanny wants to attack.

Kelsay will be here till he retires. Not a fan of his, just being realistic. Spencer and Dwan are good players. I prefer Dwan, but it could go either way. Flip a coin. Perhaps both get cut in favor of younger guys like Carrington and Kellen Heard. I'd bet money that Troup gets the axe. He just hasn't done squat and can't stay healthy.

If Edwards has been lining up with the 1st team in Kyle’s absence, can you tell me who the 2nd team DTs have been? I’m curious to see what’s going on with Carrington. He was a high draft pick a few years ago that we’ve moved all over the place and I don’t recall him really making many plays so far in his brief career. This is a make or break year for him and Troup and it sounds like they are competing against each other for one of the last D-Line spots.

Kelsay is our depth at DE and if Anderson and Williams stay healthy he helps as a rotation player. That leaves Johnson and Edwards as possible candidates. To me it seems like Edwards is the likely candidate out of the two. He has an injury history makes about 4 million (Which seeing as we are likely going to have to extend Byrd and Levitre is valuable space).

Johnson also worked well in a 4-3 in the past while D.Edwards seems more so like a 3-4 type player.

Why cut any of them??

Edwards will slim down and will likely be the first DT off the bench. Wanny wants DTs and DEs who can rush the passer, not plodding, heavy, space-eating DTs.

Even Troup is going to try to get down from 327 lbs to 315 lbs.

Sp. Johnson already fits the mold of a pass rushing DT. Apparently, some people think he can also play DE, but not at 305 lbs. he too is trying to go from 305 lbs to 295 lbs.

We're looking at a new kind of DT here folks and a new type of D-line altogether.

I see the Bills keeping more DLs than they have in recent memory because:

1. They will be primarily in a 4-3 alignment.

2. They have a lot of good DLs and the thought will be to keep as many of their best players as possible.

I could see the Bills keeping the following DLs on the final roster:

DE: Ma. Williams/Anderson/Merriman/Kelsay.

DT: K. Williams/Dareus/Edwards/Johnson/Troup/Carrington.

Notes:

1. This defense will be dominant if Merriman can play "lights Out" again.

2. Johnson and Carrington can also play DE at times, which is good reason to keep them both.

3. I think the only reason that Edwards would get cut would be because he carries a pretty high cap figure currently (about $4.2M).

4. Some will argue that Heard should make the roster, but I don't see him fitting the mold of DT that Wanny is looking for. Still, he's a good player who I'd like to see the Bills keep around.

If Edwards has been lining up with the 1st team in Kyle’s absence, can you tell me who the 2nd team DTs have been? I’m curious to see what’s going on with Carrington. He was a high draft pick a few years ago that we’ve moved all over the place and I don’t recall him really making many plays so far in his brief career. This is a make or break year for him and Troup and it sounds like they are competing against each other for one of the last D-Line spots.

First team snap in June mean squat...

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the, make the team. If they want to make a serious run this season, they need to keep the DL healthy. The DL is the key to the Staches defense., as everyone knows. Edwards, while may be expensive and thought be out of position playing in the 4-3, is probably the best DL reserve we have (outside of a healthy Merriman at DE). If he's better than carrington, troupe and heard, which I suspect he is (when healthy), I can see him being kept, even with the price tag. If we aren't going to sign a player with the money saved from cutting Edwards, why not keep him and let him go after the season. Then use the money to resign Byrd and levitre. Johnson is a good player IMO. Last season didn't show how good he is, with him lining up at OLB. He's a valuable player in a 4-3. Kelsey, while not great, and Defintely overpaid, is a decent player that provides us with more depth. It looks as if he'll get ample PT. If he's a top 4 DE on this team, he should be kept, even though he is overpaid. Like Edwards' situation, if we aren't going to use the money opened up by cutting Kelsey to add a player that can help us win this year, keep him and cut him next year. Then use the money to resign/sign players.

Our DL is THE strength of this team. Let's keep it that way.

Why cut any of them??

Probably because theres a roster limit, and there are alot more positions other then DL that you have to have players to play. They can't just stock pile d-linemen, someone will have to be cut so they can trim the roster down to its limit

Alex Carrington

He blocked a PAT and a Field Goal. Also had 2 big batted passes (one was intercepted). Also had a sack and several tackles for losses. Kelsay didn't record a single tackle for a loss last year despite getting way more playing time.

my roster is ----

mark anderson/shawne merriman

kyle williams/alex carrington

marcell dareus/dwan edwards/kellen heard

super mario/chris kelsay/kyle moore

i think we all agree we keep the top 4 des

mario, anderson, merriman, kelsay- they all started last year...

i think they keep the 4 dts dareus, williams, edwards, carrington- they all started last year.

so with 2 spots open, ( just guessing they keep 10),

you have heard, troup, gilbert and ross for the last dt spot. IT WOULD BE DUMB TO CUT HEARD and i dont think troup beats him out with the back problems.

if troup is healthy, he might, but thats a big if. its probably going to be heard...

then you have johnson, moore, eddins, dotson, competing for the last de spot. moore is younger, taller,longer, and has better pass rushing ability at de. he fits wanny more....

ross and eddins go to the ps

Alex Carrington

He blocked a PAT and a Field Goal. Also had 2 big batted passes (one was intercepted). Also had a sack and several tackles for losses. Kelsay didn't record a single tackle for a loss last year despite getting way more playing time.

That's right, how did I forget about the blocked kicks?!?!? Maybe in the future I need to wait until halftime to crack that first one. :beer:

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

Agreed.