Kelsay, Johnson, or Edwards, who gets cut?

TPS

locks:

mario, kyle, marcell, kelsay, anderson

almost locks:

merriman, troup - big investment protects them somewhat; both need to show injury problems are over or they could be released to make room for other promising youngsters

likely to stay:

edwards, s.johnson - edwards for his quality play and veteran savvy and johnson because he plays all line positions

battling for final spot:

heard, carrington, moore

Edited by Meathead

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1338916316[/url]' post='2480956']

Probably because theres a roster limit, and there are alot more positions other then DL that you have to have players to play. They can't just stock pile d-linemen, someone will have to be cut so they can trim the roster down to its limit

That doesn't mean we have to cut Edwards, Johnson or Kelsey. If they are among the 8 best DL, I expect them to make the team.

Alex Carrington

He blocked a PAT and a Field Goal. Also had 2 big batted passes (one was intercepted). Also had a sack and several tackles for losses. Kelsay didn't record a single tackle for a loss last year despite getting way more playing time.

Sacks aren't tackles for loss?

i do actually think the bills will keep 10 dlinemen, especially if merriman is really healthy

first of all, they will be playing with fewer than three lbs about half the time so they really only need to keep five there, maybe even as few as four if they think scott can do more than cover the tes. they also can have several of their dlinemen drop back if they want/need them to, including merriman, johnson, and in an emergency carrington, and anderson

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

Merriman or Kelsay? You can't keep two part-time players at nearly $6 million per year.

Merriman or Kelsay? You can't keep two part-time players at nearly $6 million per year.

You can for a year. Not likely more than that. We're still in transition for our defense. We may keep extra to find out who excels in the new system, or to cover our behinds for a year if some can't.

This. Too much money for backups. Kelsey, Johnson and Edwards go, 10 million in cash/cap space freed up for much needed extensions, cheap young players with good upside kept. All assuming no DL injuries in camp which is of course wishful thinking.

Why are these three our only options. I don't see any getting cut. Nix said "it takes a village to stop the run." Well, we finally have a good looking tribe. As much as we run nickel, and dime, I say drop a linebacker. Having a lot of them dosent make them good. Keep the quality guys.

i do actually think the bills will keep 10 dlinemen, especially if merriman is really healthy

first of all, they will be playing with fewer than three LB's about half the time so they really only need to keep five there, maybe even as few as four if they think scott can do more than cover the tes. they also can have several of their dlinemen drop back if they want/need them to, including merriman, johnson, and in an emergency carrington, and anderson

I can't see them keeping fewer than 6 LB's, 7 if you count Scott. Backup LB's are pretty big special teams players and if you keep only 4 or 5 and an injury or two hits then you're screwed.

Edited by biglukes

1338919547[/url]' post='2480999']

This. Too much money for backups. Kelsey, Johnson and Edwards go, 10 million in cash/cap space freed up for much needed extensions, cheap young players with good upside kept. All assuming no DL injuries in camp which is of course wishful thinking.

We can for THIS year. It's doubtful we are going to cut one of those and then sign a FA with that money. Why not keep them (if they are deemed one of the best 8 DL on the roster), let them play this year and hopefully produce and help us win some games? The only way I see them being cut before the season is if they plann on resigning levitre and byrd during the season. I envision Buddy trying to lock them up before FA starts in the off season. If that's the case, cut the DL then and get their production during this season. I hope they plan on extending levitre and Byrd before the season is over, but I don't see that happening for both of them.

my roster is ----

mark anderson/shawne merriman

kyle williams/alex carrington

marcell dareus/dwan edwards/kellen heard

super mario/chris kelsay/kyle moore

i think we all agree we keep the top 4 des

mario, anderson, merriman, kelsay- they all started last year...

i think they keep the 4 dts dareus, williams, edwards, carrington- they all started last year.

so with 2 spots open, ( just guessing they keep 10),

you have heard, troup, gilbert and ross for the last dt spot. IT WOULD BE DUMB TO CUT HEARD and i dont think troup beats him out with the back problems.

if troup is healthy, he might, but thats a big if. its probably going to be heard...

then you have johnson, moore, eddins, dotson, competing for the last de spot. moore is younger, taller,longer, and has better pass rushing ability at de. he fits wanny more....

ross and eddins go to the ps

If Troup is healthy, can't see Heard making the team. He isn't the athlete that Troup is and Heard struggles changing directions once starts going a way. Troup is more suited to the new defense if can stay healthy in my opinion.

Even if Troup isnt healthy, wouldnt shock me if someone beats out Heard, with the change of play style they are putting in honestly. Do agree you on rest of your statement however.

Edited by rstencel

This. Wanny specifically mentioned that Edwards "is an athlete" and they're not asking the DTs to "take up blocks." Wanny wants to attack.

So in that case, how can Troupe possibly make the team - healthy or not? He's purely a NT from what we've seen of him so far.

So in that case, how can Troupe possibly make the team - healthy or not? He's purely a NT from what we've seen of him so far.

He's going to have to show something during TC.

Sure you can for a year and Merriman is still relatively young.

Fair arguement but there are still lots of situations where run stuffers are needed. Goal line and short yardage packages may have Dareus at DE and Williams and Troup at DT. Run oriented offensive opponents will require more heft up front and more rotations of the DT's.

If there are no injuries before the season starts (a big IF with guys like Troup and Merriman), there are too many bodies on the DL, and one of these 30+, higher paid guys won't stick around. Who goes? I say Edwards is the odd man out.

Kelsay