DE and $$$

Im not a bean counter......but if Merriman returns to form, does someone get cut???? we have crazy depth at DE now but can we have this much $$$ tied up at 2 positions. Merriman, Kelsay, Anderson, and Mario Williams all have sizable contracts, not to mention Kyle Williams and Dareus arent cheap either. Just doesn't sound right with Levtire and Byrd needing contracts soon. I have to believe that Kelsey at 33 will get cut or that 2012 is his last rodeo as a Bill.

Im not a bean counter......but if Merriman returns to form, does someone get cut???? we have crazy depth at DE now but can we have this much $$$ tied up at 2 positions. Merriman, Kelsay, Anderson, and Mario Williams all have sizable contracts, not to mention Kyle Williams and Dareus arent cheap either. Just doesn't sound right with Levtire and Byrd needing contracts soon. I have to believe that Kelsey at 33 will get cut or that 2012 is his last rodeo as a Bill.

It would be a nice problem to have.

GO BILLS!!!

It would be a nice problem to have.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll agree with this. Let's worry about this year, THIS year. Not saying We shouldn't worry about Byrd, Levitre and any other player up for FA but in all seriousness, they are contracted through this season. Let's make sure they keep up thier play and at the same time some of these DEs work out the way they are supposed to. We can worry about those guys and next years salaries, NEXT year.

Merriman money is already spent meaning of the dollars owed most of it is guarnateed, so they don't win by cutting him. Possibly a restructured contract for Kelsey if things get tight. I still think Chan and Buddy look at the Giants keys to success, with rotational pass rushers and interior lineman push, and they see Brady looking uncomfortable. rotational rushers means all stay healthy. Darius came cheap given the new CBA. Secondary looks better as they have to cover for one less second, and LBs are more natural in a 4-3. We're fine. I wouldn't get so excited as some of these posts, but we're going to be markedly better with better depth, so it's not an oh crap when one guy gets hurt.

Why do people always try and find problems

The contracts on the D line will have zero impact on whether or not Levitre and Byrd get extended or resigned

The bills have shown they are willing to spend especially to keep their own players so there is no reason to believe they won't do the same with Levitre and Byrd assuming they both want to stay

Merriman is only guaranteed 3 mil which is basically a non factor these days.

Edited by Max997

1338516784[/url]' post='2478237']

I'll agree with this. Let's worry about this year, THIS year. Not saying We shouldn't worry about Byrd, Levitre and any other player up for FA but in all seriousness, they are contracted through this season. Let's make sure they keep up thier play and at the same time some of these DEs work out the way they are supposed to. We can worry about those guys and next years salaries, NEXT year.

Hopefully they are open to resigning before the hit FA. The closer they come to the end of the season, I think the less chance there is of extending. Get the contracts done soon. I think we got lucky with Stevie not hitting the market. I don't want to see either guy get an offer from another team. Lock em up

Hopefully they are open to resigning before the hit FA. The closer they come to the end of the season, I think the less chance there is of extending. Get the contracts done soon. I think we got lucky with Stevie not hitting the market. I don't want to see either guy get an offer from another team. Lock em up

I generally agree with this philosophy however things se a little different from what used to make me feel that way. Nix has shown that we will resign OUR guys. Stevie, Kyle, Fitz, Pears, Ubrik, Freddy, Chandler, Theres a few more I think that I'm missing. It tells me they are finally making good football descisions and recognizing what they have. It's also good that the better we get on the field the easier it will be to sign some of these guys that are looking to play for a winning franchise. If we win and make the playoffs this year the odds go of resigning these guys is multiplied IMO.

I wouldn't rule out veteran contracts like Kelsay's, Spencer's, or Dwan's becoming casualties in the near term but as you project this team 1-2 years from this moment all of them could be gone.

In addition, other healthy-sized contracts such as the ones for Moorman, Lindell, Thigpen, and Brad Smith could be gone within the next 1-2 years.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Bills will have any trouble making room for Levitre, Byrd, and Wood.

Thankfully most of the recent deals (Stevie, Pears, Freddy, Chandler) have been very club friendly and as a result, the Bills are not burdened with too many long term, bad deals.

Basically it's a non-concern for me.

I'd start by looking at the actual numbers before getting worries for no particular reason at all.

Merriman's 2012 salary is low.

Dude Really :doh: Didn't you see Chan just talking about Kelsay being a good good player and he started at RDE? Kelsay isn't going anywhere and Ralph doesn't care about the money right now.

Dude Really :doh: Didn't you see Chan just talking about Kelsay being a good good player and he started at RDE? Kelsay isn't going anywhere and Ralph doesn't care about the money right now.

Ralph's not ordering any green bananas from Meijer right now.

I believe he made similar statements about Florence.

2012 isn't an issue, as others have stated, they are significantly under the cap. If you want to look ahead to 2013 and signing Levitre and Byrd, there is a lot of flexibility. Right now they have a lot of money tied up in the DL, and based on this season that should sort itself out. The 3 key pieces are:

1. Spencer Johnson and Merriman are in the last year of their contracts (I don't know if both make the team)

2. They will probably have to make decisions on Kelsay and Dwan Edwards (one may be gone this year)

3. We should find out this year if Carrington and Troup can play in the league

Also keep in mind that the TV contract (I think starting in '14) is going to be worth a lot more money to the teams so with Byrd and Levitre they can structure contracts with bigger bonuses and a low '13 salary so they amortize a big chunk of the money in the big TV money years.

If there's one thing the team has done well even through the dark years is manage the cap. Some may call them cheap but if you look at the numbers they haven't been shy about spending, they just haven't spent on the right guys (exhibit 1: Dockery, Walker, Hangartner).

We would have to re-sign Byrd or Levitre this season as we cannot apply the Franchise Tag on both of them. If this OL gels at the beginning of this season, I think Levitre hits the jackpot. On the other hand Byrd could be signed for a lot cheaper than Levitre now.

I think Wood has 2 years remaining in his contract and will be up next year and so would Urbik.

Here are the fact. 2012 Salary of the aforementioned players:

Shawne Merriman $2.5 Mill

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/shawne-merriman/299873?q=shawne-merriman

Chris Kelsay $2M

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/chris-kelsay/140497?q=chris-kelsay

Mark Anderson $2.5M + 6M/4 signing bonus so he would count ~4M towards the cap in 2012.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/27/2906144/buffalo-bills-mark-anderson-contract-details

and well you have Mario Williams ~$14M

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/mario-williams/401223?q=mario-williams

Obviously you have Mario's contract but not really much to see when it comes to Kelsay, Merriman, and Anderson they all should all be able to fit under the cap with tons of room left.

I think we'll be fine. As long as we sign the guys before they hit the open market. Ralph is spending now, which is interesting. I wonder if the problem was that the past GM's were just so awful that he didn't trust them to have "free reign" to bring in a guy like Mario, etc. Looking at some of the past spending those guys did, it never worked out. Ralph trusts Nix, so perhaps he's opening the wallet. Hopefully this good work gets rewarded w/ a SB ring!