Fitz working on mechanics with new QB coach

Golfing mechanics and throwing mechanics are not even close to the same things. Throwing is a much more natural motion and golfing goes against the natural kinetics of the body. I've never heard of a QB going David Duval one day.

You're right that golf and throwing mechanics are very different, but overhand throwing is NOT a natural motion, ask any orthopedic surgeon. Our arms are not designed to move that fast, in that direction, over and over and over again. It's why pitchers' shoulders and elbows always break down.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whats its worth, Fitz has a career 59.2% completion percentage, and went 62% last season. Jim Kelly for comparison had a career completion percentage of 60.1%.

I think accuracy is so much more than completion percentage...just as important to me is the ball thrown in the right place to get YAC.

To be clear, I am all in on Fitz, even named my dog Fitzy two years ago..but he hits to many guys back shoulder on routes where if he hits guys in stride it's another 10 yards or better..Andre was so good at YAC because Jimbo always had the ball in the right place

If Fitz can correct some of his bad habits the sky is the limit for this team. This quote from Fitz about his new coach shows that he's accountable and knows he needs to be better.

“I’ve never really had a technician as a coach,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve kind of always just gone out there and thrown. And I don’t know why I go out and throw like I do. I just go out and do it. To have a coach like him that’s able to sit there and say, ‘Hey you missed this throw six times last year and you missed it low every time. Here’s why…’ That makes a lot of sense for me. That’s something that I can process and now I understand why I’m doing it and can correct it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Fitz-already-improving-mechanics-under-Lee/b7a3494c-e52a-4e0e-88e8-9076dd90aefe

I was surprised Fitz had never received much coaching on his mechanics before. I can see that being neglected at Harvard. But in the NFL until now? The NFL is the big time and you would think coaching staffs would coach anything and everything that might help them win on Sunday.

The other thing I thought notable about this article was that Lee is a technician. Some folks here speculated that Lee was hired by Gailey specifically to better implement the wildcat. Lee is far more than a wildcat guy. It's great to read that he may help Fitz become a more accurate QB with better fundamentals.

Kelly played in 1991, fitz played in 2011. the number one issue.

Not really. Passing concepts haven't changed. Formations and personnel implementation have. Some spreads are variations of the west coast offense and some are variations of the old vertical passing games. Colt Mccoy had a 76% completion rate one year in college but threw the ball under 10 yards 90+% of the time. The offenses now are tailored to take advantage of match-ups, getting big guys running with small guys.

Disregard Fitz's stats and just watch the games. The guys throws are rarely on target. This new coach is going to make Fitz a better QB which will give the Bills a great shot at the playoffs.

You're right that golf and throwing mechanics are very different, but overhand throwing is NOT a natural motion, ask any orthopedic surgeon. Our arms are not designed to move that fast, in that direction, over and over and over again. It's why pitchers' shoulders and elbows always break down.

Pitchers break down because of improper "scapular loading". Qbs don't injure their shoulders or elbows from throwing, they injure them from falling on them like Bradford and Brees did. Pitchers go down every other day. The mechanics of a pitcher and a QB are not even close. Read about scapular load.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/ScapularLoading.html

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2010/2/7/1299683/pitching-mechanics-terms-to-look

Edited by John Cocktosten

Golfing mechanics and throwing mechanics are not even close to the same things. Throwing is a much more natural motion and golfing goes against the natural kinetics of the body. I've never heard of a QB going David Duval one day.

I'm sure that Lee had a nice long talk about Fitz's play-fakes as well. He just got straight up lazy at the end of the year and wasn't fooling anyone.

I agree with CodeMonkey that this is as big as any off season move. It shows that the coaching staff is evolving and the players are accountable. This has truly been a dream off season. :beer:

I used golf as an example because it was likely to be more universal. I used to pitch, believe me, the same principles apply. It applies to all sports. Running, swimming, shooting a basketball--all these things that require proper mechanics to maximize efficiency. Sometimes players get away with TERRIBLE form, but it's very rare. More often than not they max out at a certain level, and when they try and undo years of muscle memory, when they start performing UNinstincitively and have to THINK through the motions, go through the mechanics in their head, that's when their game falls apart.

Now that Fitz is becoming conscious of his throwing motion, there is a very real possibility that it will disrupt his in-game concentration. Remember Chuck Knoblach in the 1999 World Series? Do you think the starting second basemen for the New York Yankees suddenly forgot how to make a less than 90' throw to first? No. He got in his head about his mechanics, and he was winging it all over the place.

Cerebral guys like Fitz are more prone to having their brains getting in the way of their instincts. That's a real fear I have. BUT, like I said before, Fitz has also shown an incredible ability to process and execute information. I hope that's the case with his new-found throwing knowledge!

This too.

Not really. Passing concepts haven't changed. Formations and personnel implementation have. Some spreads are variations of the west coast offense and some are variations of the old vertical passing games. Colt Mccoy had a 76% completion rate one year in college but threw the ball under 10 yards 90+% of the time. The offenses now are tailored to take advantage of match-ups, getting big guys running with small guys.

Disregard Fitz's stats and just watch the games. The guys throws are rarely on target. This new coach is going to make Fitz a better QB which will give the Bills a great shot at the playoffs.

Pitchers break down because of improper "scapular loading". Qbs don't injure their shoulders or elbows from throwing, they injure them from falling on them like Bradford and Brees did. Pitchers go down every other day. The mechanics of a pitcher and a QB are not even close. Read about scapular load.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/ScapularLoading.html

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2010/2/7/1299683/pitching-mechanics-terms-to-look

Quarterbacks don't put NEARLY the kind of stress on their arms as pitchers. The motion, the intensity and the repetitions are DRASTICALLY less.

1337868809[/url]' post='2473740']

Now that Fitz is becoming conscious of his throwing motion, there is a very real possibility that it will disrupt his in-game concentration. Remember Chuck Knoblach in the 1999 World Series? Do you think the starting second basemen for the New York Yankees suddenly forgot how to make a less than 90' throw to first? No. He got in his head about his mechanics, and he was winging it all over the place.

Cerebral guys like Fitz are more prone to having their brains getting in the way of their instincts. That's a real fear I have. BUT, like I said before, Fitz has also shown an incredible ability to process and execute information. I hope that's the case with his new-found throwing knowledge!

I agree with what you're saying, to some degree. However, you have to think about it another way... what would you rather have Fitz do?

We all know that accuracy has been a big flaw in Fitz's game. And most any fan of the Bills has some measure of skeptisicm towards him becoming the guy because of this accuracy issue. So, he's gotta work on it. He knows it. His coaches know it. We all know it. And there's only one way he can improve his accuracy - improve his mechanics. So, he and the coaches have to do this and with all hope, his game will begin to improve because of it. I just wouldn't expect him to become Drew Brees over night, that's all.

Its kinda like bringing in Mario Williams. We had to improve our pass rush, so they did the right thing and brought in the best FA pass rusher out there. But, there's no guarantee that he'll immediately get bunches of sacks and improve our D. But, you gotta try. That's what the FO did there. And that's what the coaches are doing with Fitz.

In some sense, you could say they're all doing exactly what they should be doing... working every day to improve this team. Will it work? We'll see. But, I'd much rather see Fitz trying to do what we all knows he needs to do, than just blindly ignoring the biggest hole in his game.

i agree that the scheme helps him but so do the major rule changes in how defenders can cover receivers. average yardage, completion percentage etc has gone up greatly. if adjusted for time you could probably tack on about 1000 yards an 6-8% to kellys numbers. his numbers put him top 5 at the time, and would barely be average today. theres a reason about 5 guys had shots at marinos record last year, and brees completed close to 72% of his passes. though the qbs putting those numbers up are VERY skilled players, its also easier to complete a pass today than it was 20 years ago.

I agree with what you're saying, to some degree. However, you have to think about it another way... what would you rather have Fitz do?

We all know that accuracy has been a big flaw in Fitz's game. And most any fan of the Bills has some measure of skeptisicm towards him becoming the guy because of this accuracy issue. So, he's gotta work on it. He knows it. His coaches know it. We all know it. And there's only one way he can improve his accuracy - improve his mechanics. So, he and the coaches have to do this and with all hope, his game will begin to improve because of it. I just wouldn't expect him to become Drew Brees over night, that's all.

Its kinda like bringing in Mario Williams. We had to improve our pass rush, so they did the right thing and brought in the best FA pass rusher out there. But, there's no guarantee that he'll immediately get bunches of sacks and improve our D. But, you gotta try. That's what the FO did there. And that's what the coaches are doing with Fitz.

In some sense, you could say they're all doing exactly what they should be doing... working every day to improve this team. Will it work? We'll see. But, I'd much rather see Fitz trying to do what we all knows he needs to do, than just blindly ignoring the biggest hole in his game.

i dont think anyone is knocking the effort, just cautious optimism over whether it will ultimately work.

If Fitz can correct some of his bad habits the sky is the limit for this team. This quote from Fitz about his new coach shows that he's accountable and knows he needs to be better.

“I’ve never really had a technician as a coach,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve kind of always just gone out there and thrown. And I don’t know why I go out and throw like I do. I just go out and do it. To have a coach like him that’s able to sit there and say, ‘Hey you missed this throw six times last year and you missed it low every time. Here’s why…’ That makes a lot of sense for me. That’s something that I can process and now I understand why I’m doing it and can correct it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Fitz-already-improving-mechanics-under-Lee/b7a3494c-e52a-4e0e-88e8-9076dd90aefe

It will be interesting whether or not lee can do the same thing for Vince young...

I was surprised Fitz had never received much coaching on his mechanics before. I can see that being neglected at Harvard. But in the NFL until now? The NFL is the big time and you would think coaching staffs would coach anything and everything that might help them win on Sunday.

The other thing I thought notable about this article was that Lee is a technician. Some folks here speculated that Lee was hired by Gailey specifically to better implement the wildcat. Lee is far more than a wildcat guy. It's great to read that he may help Fitz become a more accurate QB with better fundamentals.

Fitz was the backup guy trying to make the team. The QB coach worked mostly with the starter (I would presume). So Fitz had to figure it out himself. He did OK. Hopefully, now with proper coaching, he can really take the next step as a QB. I'm excited we could have Rich Gannon II here.

i agree that the scheme helps him but so do the major rule changes in how defenders can cover receivers. average yardage, completion percentage etc has gone up greatly. if adjusted for time you could probably tack on about 1000 yards an 6-8% to kellys numbers. his numbers put him top 5 at the time, and would barely be average today. theres a reason about 5 guys had shots at marinos record last year, and brees completed close to 72% of his passes. though the qbs putting those numbers up are VERY skilled players, its also easier to complete a pass today than it was 20 years ago.

i dont think anyone is knocking the effort, just cautious optimism over whether it will ultimately work.

What he said.

I'll go ahead and echo a claim somebody else on here made that this could turn out to be one of the best off season moves made this year. And yes, I understand the gravity of that statement!

Even though the Bills have greatly improved on paper, the media still down plays the ability of the Bills to improve that much... They keep referring to our poor QB situation... A starter with little skills to improve upon and a back up with all kinds of problems... Our new QB coach is taking a strong approach to improve the QB situation... Fitz is a fast learner and willing... Now if Young can step up and take the same approach to learning from our QB coach this team will improve rapidly. I expect to see the QB position a lot stronger with coaches like David Lee, & Chan Gailey at the helm... Both will improve the QBs and make this a much more interesting season.... You really have to like what this team is capable of on paper... Is there a glaring weakness anywhere?

Fitz was the backup guy trying to make the team. The QB coach worked mostly with the starter (I would presume). So Fitz had to figure it out himself. He did OK. Hopefully, now with proper coaching, he can really take the next step as a QB. I'm excited we could have Rich Gannon II here.

of course the qb coach would be most concerned with qb1 - but to say fitz wasnt getting attention is (i would presume) not true.

would be awesome if he comes out firing like a sniper out there. i just worry we as fans overstate what a change at position coach and some extra offseason reps will do to a player. it could happen though and the only way is to try.

Edited by NoSaint

The way I read the article, it is not that he did not get attention from his QB coaches, it was that he got the WRONG attention from the QB coaches. Fitzy said this is the first technician coach he has had, that is looking at his throwing motion from the foundation; hips, legs and feet. Not surprising.

The way I read the article, it is not that he did not get attention from his QB coaches, it was that he got the WRONG attention from the QB coaches. Fitzy said this is the first technician coach he has had, that is looking at his throwing motion from the foundation; hips, legs and feet. Not surprising.

Good points! What the hell did the old QB coach, George Cortez do with the QB's?

This was my first reaction as well

That was an excellent read.

To bad Fitz had not be coached up like this before. Good players that get great coaching become better.

If Fitz can cut down on his INT's I'm telling yall we may be in businees for a playoff spot.

Thumps up to The Chan for hiring the new QB coach. :thumbsup:

I used golf as an example because it was likely to be more universal. I used to pitch, believe me, the same principles apply. It applies to all sports. Running, swimming, shooting a basketball--all these things that require proper mechanics to maximize efficiency. Sometimes players get away with TERRIBLE form, but it's very rare. More often than not they max out at a certain level, and when they try and undo years of muscle memory, when they start performing UNinstincitively and have to THINK through the motions, go through the mechanics in their head, that's when their game falls apart.

I agree with this. Trying to change the habits of a lifetime can at first really screw up a performer even if he needs to do it in order to ultimately get better. The comparison I had in mind is, believe it or not, the great violinist Yehudi Menuhin. He was a natural prodigy, playing with symphony orchestras when he was seven years old. He had a lot of different teachers. Then, when he was in his thirties, he realized that the way he was playing was technically incorrect. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"After building early success on richly romantic and tonally opulent performances, he experienced considerable physical and artistic difficulties caused by overwork during the war as well as unfocused and unstructured early training (reportedly he said "I watched myself on film and realized that for 30 years I'd been holding the bow wrong")"

He tried to fix this and for a time his playing fell apart. It took him several years to incorporate what he learned and get back to playing as well and better than he did originally. He is now considered one of the greatest violinists of the 20th century.

Kelly played in 1991, fitz played in 2011. the number one issue.

muscle memory will be the problem, not ego, clearly.

its like all the talk over tebows throwing motion - hes a good guy and a hardworker but when things breakdown, its hard to use your new throwing motion. you revert to whats natural. (already regretting the tebow reference in anticipation of a bunch of totally non-relevant responses)

That's why you use the off season to train the new motions into your muscle memory.

I've changed shooting motions in basketball a few times, all it takes is repetition, and then it's there, even when things breakdown.