Fitz working on mechanics with new QB coach

For whats its worth, Fitz has a career 59.2% completion percentage, and went 62% last season. Jim Kelly for comparison had a career completion percentage of 60.1%.

Yeah but Fritz has mostly UDFAs and low round picks. Jimbo had some really decent 3rd and 4th round picks and even a few higher ones. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fitz can correct some of his bad habits the sky is the limit for this team. This quote from Fitz about his new coach shows that he's accountable and knows he needs to be better.

“I’ve never really had a technician as a coach,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve kind of always just gone out there and thrown. And I don’t know why I go out and throw like I do. I just go out and do it. To have a coach like him that’s able to sit there and say, ‘Hey you missed this throw six times last year and you missed it low every time. Here’s why…’ That makes a lot of sense for me. That’s something that I can process and now I understand why I’m doing it and can correct it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Fitz-already-improving-mechanics-under-Lee/b7a3494c-e52a-4e0e-88e8-9076dd90aefe

God I hope so, if he can get his arm together we will finally have a franchise QB 0:) 0:) 0:)

Not really. Passing concepts haven't changed. Formations and personnel implementation have. Some spreads are variations of the west coast offense and some are variations of the old vertical passing games. Colt Mccoy had a 76% completion rate one year in college but threw the ball under 10 yards 90+% of the time. The offenses now are tailored to take advantage of match-ups, getting big guys running with small guys.

Disregard Fitz's stats and just watch the games. The guys throws are rarely on target. This new coach is going to make Fitz a better QB which will give the Bills a great shot at the playoffs.

Pitchers break down because of improper "scapular loading". Qbs don't injure their shoulders or elbows from throwing, they injure them from falling on them like Bradford and Brees did. Pitchers go down every other day. The mechanics of a pitcher and a QB are not even close. Read about scapular load.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/ScapularLoading.html

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2010/2/7/1299683/pitching-mechanics-terms-to-look

If that's your perspective, Here's a very interesting link you may want to check out.

Niners QB mechanics

I think the complication to the picture is that Fitz isn't been uniformly poor. Sometimes he can thread the needle, sometimes he throws these "WTF?" ducks. In that situation, it's probably not enough to just work with a QB coach. It's necessary to work with someone who is motivated and able to take the time to slice-n-dice a season or two's worth of film, to look for patterns.

I'm not sure the Bills would be happy handing over two seasons of team film to someone not on the payroll? Fortunately, they have a good QB technician on the payroll now.

Since Fitz doesn't have to rebuild everything from scratch, if he could just make 2-3 additional completions a game and eliminate some INTs, that would have a big impact on the team's success.

:lol: Eliminate some INT's? How about say.... Half. At least that would knock the total down to around 12 next season.

The problem is that once Fitz gets rattled he starts racking up the INT's. -A pattern he solidified in last season's second Patriots game.

As far as the completions go, I'd be interested to know how much of that 59.2 completion percentage is based on passes north of 15 yards. Seemed like half the time Fitz Attempted anything remotely long he either UNDER or OVER shot the WR.

Bottom line: Even if Fitzpatrick had a 70% percent completion rate, if that stat is based on a bunch of eight yard passses that resulted in failed drives, it's isn't worth jack squat to this offense.

Edited by #34fan

I just cannot believe the starting qb for a highly regarded univerisity and a seven year pro is making comments indicating he hes never been analyzed technically to optomize his talent.

With the money these guys makes and their desire to win it's just hard to believe.

If fitz can be coached to hit the deep left sideline throw, game on.

If Fitz can correct some of his bad habits the sky is the limit for this team. This quote from Fitz about his new coach shows that he's accountable and knows he needs to be better.

“I’ve never really had a technician as a coach,” said Fitzpatrick. “I’ve kind of always just gone out there and thrown. And I don’t know why I go out and throw like I do. I just go out and do it. To have a coach like him that’s able to sit there and say, ‘Hey you missed this throw six times last year and you missed it low every time. Here’s why…’ That makes a lot of sense for me. That’s something that I can process and now I understand why I’m doing it and can correct it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Fitz-already-improving-mechanics-under-Lee/b7a3494c-e52a-4e0e-88e8-9076dd90aefe

It shows the ineptness of the Bills front office in the past vs now. Pray, Pray to whatever God or Gods you pray to (and if you don't have any, make one up and pray) this guy can fix Fitz. He is always going to be THE reason we don't get to or win a SB with his erratic play. If this new guy can shore him up then we are good.

And if the Gods do not listen...Den to hell wid dem!

It shows the ineptness of the Bills front office in the past vs now. Pray, Pray to whatever God or Gods you pray to (and if you don't have any, make one up and pray) this guy can fix Fitz. He is always going to be THE reason we don't get to or win a SB with his erratic play. If this new guy can shore him up then we are good.

(tying threads together)

Let me get this straight.

You believe that Bills fans should tar and feather Fitz and our FO should spit him out like a grapefruit seed because he's just the only reason the Bills lack success. He's just not a Star as a QB. He's holding us back, Man. Kick him out and order those SB rings. On the other hand, you believe, N'Orleans fans should run Drew "Greedy" Brees out of town and his FO should ditch him because, despite leading the league - the LEAGUE, man - in completion percentage the last 3 years, leading overall QB rating 2 of the last 3 years, and being a top-five QB in rating or completion percentage for 3 years before that (since 2006), well, you think he's just not that good - just playing the system. I mean, when he was a rookie, and a 3rd year guy, he just wasn't that hot and we all know QB never mature or progress.

Can you explain, please,

1. what exact strategy you believe a FO should follow with regard to their QB? Evidently if the guy isn't stellar, they shouldn't keep him 'cuz he's "holding them back", but if the guy IS stellar, they shouldn't keep him 'cuz he's just a product of their system and Joe Draftpick could do as well?

2. How do you recommend that we should assess a QB and decide whether he is truly talented, or a product of a good system/team? Does the same procedure work to assess a QB and discern if he is truly talentless vs a product of a poor system/team?

Edited by Hopeful

(tying threads together)

Let me get this straight.

You believe that Bills fans should tar and feather Fitz and our FO should spit him out like a grapefruit seed because he's just the only reason the Bills lack success. He's just not a Star as a QB. He's holding us back, Man. Kick him out and order those SB rings. On the other hand, you believe, N'Orleans fans should run Drew "Greedy" Brees out of town and his FO should ditch him because, despite leading the league - the LEAGUE, man - in completion percentage the last 3 years, leading overall QB rating 2 of the last 3 years, and being a top-five QB in rating or completion percentage for 3 years before that (since 2006), well, you think he's just not that good - just playing the system. I mean, when he was a rookie, and a 3rd year guy, he just wasn't that hot and we all know QB never mature or progress.

Can you explain, please,

1. what exact strategy you believe a FO should follow with regard to their QB? Evidently if the guy isn't stellar, they shouldn't keep him 'cuz he's "holding them back", but if the guy IS stellar, they shouldn't keep him 'cuz he's just a product of their system and Joe Draftpick could do as well?

2. How do you recommend that we should assess a QB and decide whether he is truly talented, or a product of a good system/team? Does the same procedure work to assess a QB and discern if he is truly talentless vs a product of a poor system/team?

I haven't followed Toshiero's position on Drew Brees, and as such I can't address the inconsistency in his view you believe you've seen. But I would like to address the point he made about Fitz.

1) Nine out of the last ten Super Bowls have been won by teams with franchise QBs. A franchise QB elevates your team to a higher level. Without that, odds are strongly against you coming away with a Super Bowl ring.

2) The proper measure of a QB's success is not yards over the course of a season (which can be inflated by a lot of passing attempts) or completion percentage (which can be inflated by Trent Edwards-type tactics). The correct measure is yards per passing attempt. Jim Kelly averaged 7.4 yards per passing attempt over the course of his career. Trent Edwards averaged 6.5 yards per attempt. Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8 yards per attempt in 2010, and 6.7 yards per attempt in 2011. In other words, he was a step above Edwards, but two steps below Kelly.

3) With all the other pieces Nix has assembled this off season, a franchise QB might be enough to make this team into a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

4) Fitz is good or very good at most aspects of the game. His Achilles Heel is his inability to throw the ball with consistent accuracy. If he solves that problem (for example by fixing his mechanics) he could become very good. He has not been very good up to this point.

5) Even when Fitz was putting up good numbers (early in the season) it was despite the fact he was (characteristically) throwing a number of inaccurate passes. He went up against some very poor pass defenses early in the year. That doesn't mean he can't learn to play at or a near a franchise level--just that he has not done so thus far.

6) If the coaches fix Fitz's mechanics, there's a chance of him becoming significantly more accurate. I don't claim to know whether it's a 1% chance or a 50% chance. But it's the only real chance the Bills have of becoming a legitimate Super Bowl contender--at least for the near future.

I was going to say something about the other teams he played for before realizing it was cincyand the rams.

It really is possible he hadnt gotten good coaching since high school!

That said, and being serious now, you'd think even with moderate pay in his pocket he would've pursued some coaching on his own for mechanics somewhere along the way. It's just odd. Probably a huge exaggeration in a throw away comment for an interview in may though.

I haven't followed Toshiero's position on Drew Brees, and as such I can't address the inconsistency in his view you believe you've seen. But I would like to address the point he made about Fitz.

1) Nine out of the last ten Super Bowls have been won by teams with franchise QBs. A franchise QB elevates your team to a higher level. Without that, odds are strongly against you coming away with a Super Bowl ring.

2) The proper measure of a QB's success is not yards over the course of a season (which can be inflated by a lot of passing attempts) or completion percentage (which can be inflated by Trent Edwards-type tactics). The correct measure is yards per passing attempt. Jim Kelly averaged 7.4 yards per passing attempt over the course of his career. Trent Edwards averaged 6.5 yards per attempt. Fitzpatrick averaged 6.8 yards per attempt in 2010, and 6.7 yards per attempt in 2011. In other words, he was a step above Edwards, but two steps below Kelly.

3) With all the other pieces Nix has assembled this off season, a franchise QB might be enough to make this team into a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

4) Fitz is good or very good at most aspects of the game. His Achilles Heel is his inability to throw the ball with consistent accuracy. If he solves that problem (for example by fixing his mechanics) he could become very good. He has not been very good up to this point.

5) Even when Fitz was putting up good numbers (early in the season) it was despite the fact he was (characteristically) throwing a number of inaccurate passes. He went up against some very poor pass defenses early in the year. That doesn't mean he can't learn to play at or a near a franchise level--just that he has not done so thus far.

6) If the coaches fix Fitz's mechanics, there's a chance of him becoming significantly more accurate. I don't claim to know whether it's a 1% chance or a 50% chance. But it's the only real chance the Bills have of becoming a legitimate Super Bowl contender--at least for the near future.

And the offense that they play in doesn't affect that yards per throw average?

- Jim Kelly was a cannon armed QB with vertical threats.

- Fitzy is a average armed QB in a offense where they throw to the sticks for first downs and have been going deep very very little.....they have been attempting to stretch the field sideways rather then vertical

This has no affect on yards per attempt?

This is the best Bills news I've heard in a very long time.

If Fitz can correct his throwing motion that could plug the biggest remaining hole on the team.

He still has a noodle arm. He also needs to hit the weights to improve that any.

What's tough is turning that into second nature physically. It's tough to turn 30 years of slinging the rock into precision in just a few months. If he can, perhaps he has a shot at that late career spike, but its rare for a reason - its very hard. I don't doubt his will (though did he not see the issues? Why not seek help earlier?), so fingers crossed!

I tend to agree. Correcting his throwing motion, or teaching him proper positioning of his feet, would have been more likely to have succeeding in his teens, or possibly into his very early 20's. I fear that he may make some changes but it the heat of the battle, he's fairly likely to revert to what he and his body have been doing for years. Any consistency he adds, however, would be very welcome, very welcome indeed.

I just cannot believe the starting qb for a highly regarded univerisity and a seven year pro is making comments indicating he hes never been analyzed technically to optomize his talent.

With the money these guys makes and their desire to win it's just hard to believe.

If fitz can be coached to hit the deep left sideline throw, game on.

Harvard? Followed by being a back up for the majority of his career...I can believe it. I look around the league and see a lot of it actually...including our 1 and 2 QBs...in college you just do what works you don't have all the time in the world and in the pros it will depend on where and to whom you go....

And the offense that they play in doesn't affect that yards per throw average?

- Jim Kelly was a cannon armed QB with vertical threats.

- Fitzy is a average armed QB in a offense where they throw to the sticks for first downs and have been going deep very very little.....they have been attempting to stretch the field sideways rather then vertical

This has no affect on yards per attempt?

One of the reasons last year's Bills team didn't attempt many deep passes is because Fitz's long ball is . . . less than stellar. In fact it's hit or miss, with the emphasis here being on the miss. That's one of the things I hope gets fixed as Fitz works on his mechanics.

That said, I'll grant that Kelly had a stronger supporting cast than Fitz, thereby increasing his yards per attempt. On the other hand, the rules were less pass-friendly back in Kelly's day; a fact which would tend to decrease Kelly's yards per attempt.

This past draft improved the starters and depth on the OL, and added a deep threat to the Bills' offense. Fitz should have ample opportunity to complete his share of deep passes--assuming he's up to the task.