Jenkins for Leodis

stony

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer to keep him around for the last year of his contract.

I think he might surprise some people this year.

I agree, let's see what he can do, a contract year tell the true value of a player, does he have it or not!!!

Leodis, for all his shortcomings, is a gifted athlete in the final year of his contract.

As Buddy Nix suggested, Leodis will be motivated.

On top of that, he will have the benefit of a pass rush for the first time in his NFL career.

I'm very interested to see what kind of season he turns in.

what he said.....

I usually don't like discussing/proposing trades of players because rarely do they ever happen. Generally it's a player for draft picks. However with word out of Dallas being that the Cowboys will look to trade Jenkins perhaps the Bills and Cowboys would be interested in swapping their 2008 1st round picks.

Jenkins is the better CB IMO but is currently injured.

Leodis has all the physical skills one could ask for but seems to lack the fundamental trait of looking back for the spiral shaped object when its in the air. He does have ST value as well.

Maybe it's a change of scenery type deal where both teams hope a new team can jumpstart the respective player's career.

It would be pointless, both have their moments, and both have their liabilities. What is the gain?

I agree, let's see what he can do, a contract year tell the true value of a player, does he have it or not!!!

How do you figure? Contract years have guys going balls to the wall so they get paid.

McKelvin has 5 INTs for his career. The difference of 3, when Jenkins has had a very good rush in front of him, does not sell me on him over McKelvin. I like Leodis. I think he is a good player and will have a good year and hopefully several more in a Bills uniform. Williams, Gilmore, McKelvin and Brooks are going to be pretty darn good in the Dime with Wilson and Byrd roaming behind them.

There is a reason why McGee is still a favorite to start and Leodis was benched for the 2nd half of the season. There are many variables that went into the decision, I'm sure. But it is quite obvious he has no balls skills whatsoever.

I usually don't like discussing/proposing trades of players because rarely do they ever happen. Generally it's a player for draft picks. However with word out of Dallas being that the Cowboys will look to trade Jenkins perhaps the Bills and Cowboys would be interested in swapping their 2008 1st round picks.

Leodis has all the physical skills one could ask for but seems to lack the fundamental trait of looking back for the spiral shaped object when its in the air. He does have ST value as well.

Maybe it's a change of scenery type deal where both teams hope a new team can jumpstart the respective player's career.

:wallbash: One problem for another problem although Leodis is probably better on returns, which may be the only thing he does for the Bills this year with the quality group of young CB's we have.

And, Leodis will be elsewhere next year at which time we will be probably drafting another CB to keep that backfield full.

There is a reason why McGee is still a favorite to start and Leodis was benched for the 2nd half of the season. There are many variables that went into the decision, I'm sure. But it is quite obvious he has no balls skills whatsoever.

As long as he isn't on the outside, who cares? Leodis is a blanket as a cover guy and will be great in the dime (and on special teams). Even if he's our 5th DB, you need 5 in todays NFL. Unless some team gets desperate and is willing to give up a solid pick, you keep him. And you sure as hell don't trade him for a player who is arguably even or worse and always hurt.

Jenkins was a pro bowler in 09 and an alternate in 2010. He has 8ints for his career. I have a few friends who area Cowboya fans who have always spoken highly of him.

I have no grudge w Leodis and have gone out of my way to defend him here on many a thread. I think he lacks ball skills like no other CB I can remember. I don't know if a pass rush will fix this because Leods has actually done a good job of covering people it's just when the ball is in they air he doesn't make a play on it.

Actually, as a grey head, I can remember one other Bills CB who was worse, almost like McKelvin. James Williams, in the 80's was a specimen, could run like the wind, and couldn't play football at all. Leodis is much better, but the comparison of not making a play on the ball is identical. Anybody else out there remember this?

NOT !! Mckelvin as you said has some ST value WHY would you trade a team ESPECIALLY THE COWBOYS!! for an injured player to take up a roster spot ???

Think about what you are saying before you put forward the time & energy to put it in a post !!! :blink:

Actually, as a grey head, I can remember one other Bills CB who was worse, almost like McKelvin. James Williams, in the 80's was a specimen, could run like the wind, and couldn't play football at all. Leodis is much better, but the comparison of not making a play on the ball is identical. Anybody else out there remember this?

I don't remember Williams, but Chris "Toast" Watson has to be the worst Bills CB ever.

I have a long history of being the last to sour on players/coaches.

I fully supported Jauron up until about two weeks before we canned him.

I continue to defend Chris Kelsay.

Part of me wishes JP was back... :pirate:

With that being said, I honestly believe Leodis is a very talented player, with all the physical attributes one could hope for. I take most armchair player analysis with a grain of salt, because quite frankly, ones evaluation capabilities are DRASTICALLY limited by the televised view of the game. And since that's how I watch just about EVERY Bills, I confess that my player diagnosis is just as suspect.

But, from my vantage point, Leodis is a player that has had an otherwise extremely solid career that's been marred by a handful of monumentally boneheaded plays. So, for me, he's a push. I'm not an unabashed supporter, I'm also not a hater.

And the bottom line is: I'm willing to give the guy one more chance here in the last year of his contract. It's getting crowded as hell in our secondary, so he has no choice but to put up or shut up. Given what appears poised to be an unprecedented pass rush in front of him, I'm very optimistic about what his performance could be.

I am uber-confident that McKelvin has a career year this year. In addition to this being the first year he will actually benefit from a pass rush, it's also his contract year. Recipe for success. Go Bills.

NOT !! Mckelvin as you said has some ST value WHY would you trade a team ESPECIALLY THE COWBOYS!! for an injured player to take up a roster spot ???

Think about what you are saying before you put forward the time & energy to put it in a post !!! :blink:

What the hell does the fact that it is the Cowboys have to do with anything. Put your bias aside.

It's a one year trade most likely given that Leodis is probably not going to be resigned.

And it's the some old mindset that guys with ST value trump better positional players. Of course I don't want him if he can't pass a physical. But if healthy, he's a better option than Leodis. What other than the lack of pass rush can you use to defend Leodis' poor play these past few seasons? I'm curious, as I've supported him too in the past and then I realize just how bad he's been.

And it's not like the lack of rush has hindered other secondary member's ability to make plays and record ints.

Edited by stony

I have a long history of being the last to sour on players/coaches.

I fully supported Jauron up until about two weeks before we canned him.

I continue to defend Chris Kelsay.

Part of me wishes JP was back... :pirate:

With that being said, I honestly believe Leodis is a very talented player, with all the physical attributes one could hope for. I take most armchair player analysis with a grain of salt, because quite frankly, ones evaluation capabilities are DRASTICALLY limited by the televised view of the game. And since that's how I watch just about EVERY Bills, I confess that my player diagnosis is just as suspect.

But, from my vantage point, Leodis is a player that has had an otherwise extremely solid career that's been marred by a handful of monumentally boneheaded plays. So, for me, he's a push. I'm not an unabashed supporter, I'm also not a hater.

And the bottom line is: I'm willing to give the guy one more chance here in the last year of his contract. It's getting crowded as hell in our secondary, so he has no choice but to put up or shut up. Given what appears poised to be an unprecedented pass rush in front of him, I'm very optimistic about what his performance could be.

i agree that if you take out a handful of just dumb plays and his draft slot, the view of him would be much different. hes a decent enough player but certainly not one that i would argue is all that good. as a guy that can play as a broderline starter, im happy to have him for the year.

+1

It was rather amazing how frequently he was in the right position and how frequently the pass was completed anyway.

I have always been amazed at his potential, he seemed to be right where he should be, was rarely beaten badly, he just didn't play the ball right. I just find it hard to believe that with some intensive coaching he couldn't turn into a great player. That said, I'm just not sure who could be "that coach" for him to become the player he could be.

I have always been amazed at his potential, he seemed to be right where he should be, was rarely beaten badly, he just didn't play the ball right. I just find it hard to believe that with some intensive coaching he couldn't turn into a great player. That said, I'm just not sure who could be "that coach" for him to become the player he could be.

It's a simple fix though, just take him off the outside and move him to the slot. Let him blanket the underneath receivers.

Gilmore and Williams don't make Leodis expendable, they make him better because they allow him to move inside.

This is actually an interesting idea, but I don't think Nix and Gailey want to shake up the position further this offseason. McKelvin also has a pretty big role to play on special teams, so don't discount that.