Bills Over/Under at 6.5

1337325466[/url]' post='2469607']

Only two teams, the Colts and Texans, are without win totals.

Below are the full odds, courtesy of 5Dimes.

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Over 7.5 (-130)

Under 7.5 (-110)

ATLANTA FALCONS

Over 8.5 (-175)

Under 8.5 (+135)

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Over 10.5 (+115)

Under 10.5 (-155)

BUFFALO BILLS

Over 6.5 (-140)

Under 6.5 (+100)

CAROLINA PANTHERS

Over 8.5 (+100)

Under 8.5 (-140)

CHICAGO BEARS

Over 8.5 (-165)

Under 8.5 (+125)

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Over 7.5 (-165)

Under 7.5 (+125)

CLEVELAND BROWNS

Over 6.5 (-130)

Under 6.5 (-110)

DALLAS COWBOYS

Over 8.5 (-160)

Under 8.5 (+120)

DENVER BRONCOS

Over 7.5 (+125)

Under 7.5 (-165)

DETROIT LIONS

Over 8.5 (-165)

Under 8.5 (+125)

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Over 12.5 (+160)

Under 12.5 (-210)

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Over 6.5 (-120)

Under 6.5 (-120)

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Over 8.5 (-160)

Under 8.5 (+120)

MIAMI DOLPHINS

Over 8.5 (-195)

Under 8.5 (+155)

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Over 7.5 (-120)

Under 7.5 (-120)

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Over 11.5 (-150)

Under 11.5 (+110)

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Over 11.5 (-120)

Under 11.5 (-120)

NEW YORK GIANTS

Over 10.5 (+100)

Under 10.5 (-140)

NEW YORK JETS

Over 9.5 (+120)

Under 9.5 (-160)

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Over 7.5 (-120)

Under 7.5 (-120)

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Over 9.5 (-160)

Under 9.5 (+120)

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Over 9.5 (-230)

Under 9.5 (+170)

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Over 9.5 (-125)

Under 9.5 (-115)

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Over 10.5 (+120)

Under 10.5 (-160)

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Over 6.5 (-195)

Under 6.5 (+155)

ST. LOUIS RAMS

Over 6.5 (-130)

Under 6.5 (-110)

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Over 6.5 (-160)

Under 6.5 (+120)

TENNESSEE TITANS

Over 8.5 (+110)

Under 8.5 (-150)

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Over 6.5 (-125)

Under 6.5 (-115)

Where did you find these odds? Miami at under 8.5 is +155 while the over is -195?? One of the worst lines ever.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you put down $140 on +6.5 wins and buffalo wins 7 or more games, you win $100 AND you get your $140 back for a total of $240.

if you put down $100 on -6.5 wins and buffalo wins 6 or less games, you win $100 AND you get your $100 back for a total of $200.

This is exactly right, which makes it even more puzzling- these oddsmakers actually think the Bills have a better chance of finishing with 6 wins than 7 wins.

Where did you find these odds? Miami at under 8.5 is +155 while the over is -195?? One of the worst lines ever.

Exactly. Why wouldn't they just make it 7.5 with even odds? It doesn't make any sense. I use sportsbetting.com and you would never see these type of shenanigans on there.

1337338357[/url]' post='2469632']

Hey man, you're out there. Can you look into this for me? Might have to ask you to -- er -- "assist" with a little wager. ;)

Sure thing. This is the busiest weekend of the year for me, so I probably won't be able to do any research until Tuesday. I'd love to help out with a wager

1337318071[/url]' post='2469589']

I'm sorry to disagree with you guys, but the odds posted in Vegas are for the week one games in which the Jets are favored by 5.5 and the over/under is 42.5. Here's a handy Wikipedia link that explains the over/under pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Over-under

The only future odds that I know of beyond week one are for AFC, NFC, and Super Bowl championships. Currently, btw, the Bills are 50/1 for the SB.

While I'm at it, here's another link that carries most of the Vegas sports book odds. You can expect to see some very different numbers once the preseason starts.

http://www.vegasinsi...ds/las%2Dvegas/

All depends on which sports book you look at. I bet the bills to win the SB at 85-1 last week at the Wynn. $400 to win $34,000. The bet wasnt placed to collect 34,000, but to hedge against them if/when they make the playoffs. A playoff birth will yield at least a $6,000 gain.

Most books have it at 40 or 50-1.

So, if someone put down $700 on the Bills to win 7 or more games, and the Bills do, they would only get back $500 for a total of $1200.

If they put down $700 on the Bills to lose 6 or less, and the Bills do, they would get $700 and $700 back for a total of $1400.

The point I ask is, the original poster said Vegas isn't favoring the Bills(maybe because they set the game total at 6.5). But the pay out is bigger for putting the same amount of money down on them losing less than 6. Doesn't that mean Vegas thinks the Bills will win 7+, therefore they are in fact favoring the Bills to do well?

Crayonz? Is that you?

So, if someone put down $700 on the Bills to win 7 or more games, and the Bills do, they would only get back $500 for a total of $1200.

If they put down $700 on the Bills to lose 6 or less, and the Bills do, they would get $700 and $700 back for a total of $1400.

The point I ask is, the original poster said Vegas isn't favoring the Bills(maybe because they set the game total at 6.5). But the pay out is bigger for putting the same amount of money down on them losing less than 6. Doesn't that mean Vegas thinks the Bills will win 7+, therefore they are in fact favoring the Bills to do well?

They have their built in margin. If more people bet the over, which is what Vegas is anticipating, then they could stand to lose money.

Say 1000 people bet $140 on the Bills over...Vegas pays 100,000 out of their pocket plus the original bet, if the Bills win 7 or more

Say only 500 people bet $100 on the Bills under...Vegas takes in 50,000

If the Bills win 6 or under in the above scenario, Vegas collects $140,000 and pays out $50,000, so it depends on how many bet each side before saying what Vegas is rooting for. Vegas is hoping the even money bet would tempt the gambler and the 140 to win 100 would scare the average gambler. They will adjust the over/under based on the betting action, so get your bets in now to capitalize on the 6 1/2 number, because I'd see this line going up to 7 1/2 or higher.

Plus, I would think Vegas would collect interest on the money they are holding while the bet is active for four plus months.

Yeah, that just looks foolish -- I'd expect the moneylines to be reversed.

They have their built in margin. If more people bet the over, which is what Vegas is anticipating, then they could stand to lose money.

Say 1000 people bet $140 on the Bills over...Vegas pays 100,000 out of their pocket plus the original bet, if the Bills win 7 or more

Say only 500 people bet $100 on the Bills under...Vegas takes in 50,000

If the Bills win 6 or under in the above scenario, Vegas collects $140,000 and pays out $50,000, so it depends on how many bet each side before saying what Vegas is rooting for. Vegas is hoping the even money bet would tempt the gambler and the 140 to win 100 would scare the average gambler. They will adjust the over/under based on the betting action, so get your bets in now to capitalize on the 6 1/2 number, because I'd see this line going up to 7 1/2 or higher.

Plus, I would think Vegas would collect interest on the money they are holding while the bet is active for four plus months.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for.

I'm not a betting man. But I'm tempted to make an exception this year when I hear the Vegas odds-makers have the Bills over/under at 6.5.

Apparently, there's not a lot of optimism for the Bills outside of Buffalo.

I am not betting man, either, but geepers we should pool our money and all get on board and stick it to them and then rub it in when we get paid.

"Ah yes, that's right: The Stadium Wall, $50,000 on the Bills."

:P

This is exactly right, which makes it even more puzzling- these oddsmakers actually think the Bills have a better chance of finishing with 6 wins than 7 wins.

Exactly. Why wouldn't they just make it 7.5 with even odds? It doesn't make any sense. I use sportsbetting.com and you would never see these type of shenanigans on there.

the difference in the "moneyline" is the "vig"....this is how the bookie makes their money. it's probably easier to explain in a straight bet first. most straight bets are 11 to 10 odds. meaning you give vegas $110 to win $100, if you win the bet you get back $210. lets say the bills are 3 point favorites against an opponent. so, in a perfect world vegas wants to collect or have wagers placed on both teams for the same exact amount of money. say they collect $11 million on each team for a total of $22 million. they will pay out $10 million plus the original $11 mil for a total of $21 mil to the winner. they collected $22 mil and paid out $21 mil and will profit $1 mil NO MATTER WHO WINS. if action on one team gets lopsided, that is when they change the spread to influence money towards the other team, with the goal of having the same exact money bet on both teams. same theory applies to the over under bets for total wins, except there is no plus or minus 3 points to even things out. so they use a money line where the "vig" (bookies profit) is derived by the difference in the money spread of 140 to 100 and 100 to 100. if they made it even odds , no matter the outcome, there would be no "vig. in your sportsbetting.com scenario you probably need to lay $120 to win $100.

Edited by papazoid

Correct me if I'm wrong here but to place a bet on the Bills winning more than 6.5 games you'd have to put down $140 and you'd only get back $100. But if they are under 6.5 games its $100 for $100. So you'd basically be betting more money(if you think they'll win more than 6.5), but getting less than double your money back. Doesn't that mean they think we'll win more than 6.5 games which is why your return isn't as great?

As I said, I'm not a betting man. You and Papazoid helped clarify things for me so thanks. Given that I have to bet $140 just to win $100 for the "over" it seems more bettors are expecting more than 6.5 wins than think less. It turns out to not be such a great bet after all.

But it wouldn't have surprised me that the betting nation underestimated the Bills this year. We haven't been over .500 in a looong time and unless you follow the Bills or NFL very closely, I doubt if the expectation for this year would be high either.

• 2 months later...

As I said, I'm not a betting man. You and Papazoid helped clarify things for me so thanks. Given that I have to bet $140 just to win $100 for the "over" it seems more bettors are expecting more than 6.5 wins than think less. It turns out to not be such a great bet after all.

But it wouldn't have surprised me that the betting nation underestimated the Bills this year. We haven't been over .500 in a looong time and unless you follow the Bills or NFL very closely, I doubt if the expectation for this year would be high either.

Just as an update, this from Bill Barnwell on Grantland..contained in an post about line movements

The biggest move, though, belongs to the Bills; they've shifted all the way from over 7.0 wins at even money to over 7.5 wins at a whopping -160. They could hit a total of eight wins very shortly, and will likely do so before the season begins.

Best get your bets in boys if you like the over..rest of story

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8172893/checking-vegas-super-bowl-contenders-ncaa

Just as an update, this from Bill Barnwell on Grantland..contained in an post about line movements

The biggest move, though, belongs to the Bills; they've shifted all the way from over 7.0 wins at even money to over 7.5 wins at a whopping -160. They could hit a total of eight wins very shortly, and will likely do so before the season begins.

Best get your bets in boys if you like the over..rest of story

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8172893/checking-vegas-super-bowl-contenders-ncaa

Yep, the sharps are all over the Bills (and Bears).

I was able to make a small wager on o/7 at -150 about a month ago. Just for fun of course. ;)

I'm sorry to disagree with you guys, but the odds posted in Vegas are for the week one games in which the Jets are favored by 5.5 and the over/under is 42.5. Here's a handy Wikipedia link that explains the over/under pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-under

The only future odds that I know of beyond week one are for AFC, NFC, and Super Bowl championships. Currently, btw, the Bills are 50/1 for the SB.

While I'm at it, here's another link that carries most of the Vegas sports book odds. You can expect to see some very different numbers once the preseason starts.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las%2Dvegas/

You just doubled down on silly and not reading before typing.

These are over/under on wins for the season, dude, and yes, they do exist.

Edited by BobChalmers

I looked at the over/under for wins for the season just last week at the Green Valley Ranch (just outside of Vegas) and was surprised to see the Bills sitting at 6.5 while the Dolphins were at 7.5. I get that the Dolphins had the best defense in the division last year. That's not disputed. They allowed 121 less points than the Bills on the season. That's over a touchdown a game less than the Bills. However, they've completely turned over their coaching staff; they lost their best player in Brandon Marshall; they have major quarterback issues; and they're starting a brand new defensive scheme. I would parlay the Bills for the Over and the Dolphins for the Under here.