The NFL Finally Gives Us First Place in Something…..Where Were You

Living in a small apartment in NYC and watching the game on TV. I was obviously pissed as hell watching that drubbing -you all know the misery. Nice guy that I am, I shared the misery with my wife (actually my girlfriend then). I finally couldn't take it any more - just shut off the TV and starting going off on the Bills. Because it was a small apartment and my wife couldn't get away from me, she made me turn the TV back on so at least my attention would be focused on the TV - BEST. MOVE. EVER.

There are numerous reasons I made that woman my wife, but her forcing me to turn the TV back on ranks high on the list.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in my home (at that time) in California with my wife (at that time) watching the game on TV. My wife wanted to do something that day and was bugging me to leave when the score got out of hand.

I told her, "They can come back."

She asked, "Has any team ever come back from a score like this?"

Like a sad sheepdog, I replied, "No, never." But then added, "But anything is possible."

I continued to watch the game but wasn't actually very hopeful. I was like an addict doing his drugs even though I knew full well this wasn't good for me.

As I recall, the Oilers had dominated us just the week before in the final regular season game. So here was 6 consecutive quarters of pain leading to a 35-3 deficit in a playoff game. Houston was a good team and seemed to have our number. With Kelly being hurt, life was pretty grim there for a while.

I was there with my father. I wanted to leave at halftime, but he convinced me to stay for the Bills first drive of the 2nd half. That drive resulted in a pick six and I was up in the aisle walking out and he again convinced me to stay until Houston scored again. Of course we didn't end up leaving when Houston scored their next points with a FG to tie it at 38. I have my father to thank for not only being one of the few who actually attended that game, but of also being in the even further minority of fans who didn't have to rush the gates to get back in.

It was a Saturday game i believe. I was sitting on the couch at my parents house in Atlanta. I was 17. My dad was at work and kept calling me for updates. He was the pessimist and me the optimist.

He quit calling by halftime....i started calling him as the comeback mounted.

Sports and in particular Buffalo Bills football was about the only thing he and i could talk about. It was a great day for a father and son. Sounds like more the a few of us had a special day that day, and not just because Buffalo won. Just another reason why Sports are so important and great.

We were watching it on TV in Syracuse, I was 16. During the second half commercials my dad kept switching the channel to some old Humphrey Bogart movie. As soon as he did that, the Bills started scoring.

During every commercial break we would switch back and forth. The "remote" was one of those old cigar box-sized jobs with a cord that ran to the cable box. It had 3 rows of 13 channels. You had to use big buttons and a toggle switch on the side to reach the desired channel. Seemingly low tech for 1993, but that is really what they gave us then.

It was like yesterday . . .

I was working on a systems conversion at a Buffalo bank. We had the game on a boom box.

During the first half we we saying that

- We were glad this travesty wasn't on TV;

- That we couldn't expect them to win without Kelly & Biscuit and with Bruce nursing bruised ribs - he was less effective, then Thurman hurt his hip(I think) - we were done;

- That we'd rather be working than freezing in the stadium watching this.

Because I am a die-hard at heart, I kept the game on despite my co-workers pleas to put on some music.

After the pick-six to start the 2nd half (35-3), the groaning got louder. Then the Bills finally scored (35-10) and I laughed - "we got 'em just where we want 'em!!!"

Then we recovered the onside kick & scored again - quickly (35-17) and I remember telling everyone out of earshot that MAYBE they're gonna make a game of it. Then they scored again (35-24). It was as if the field were tilted!! We were now just watching the boom box, listening to Van Miller and cheering them on.

Then we scored again - a 4th down pass to Reed - 35-31 !! And it was still in the 3rd Quarter!!!

We were hysterical!!!

Unfortunately the Oilers started to move the ball again and were lining up for a field-goal - they fumbled the snap!! Bills ball!! This is destiny - "we're meant to win this game" we crowed!!

With about 3 minutes left, Reich hit Reed for the go-ahead score. We were no longer working!!!

The Oilers forced overtime and won the coin toss - they received the ball and turned it over in about 3 plays. Nate Odomes picked it off and had his face mask tugged on the tackle - 1st down at the Houston 20 - it was all but over. On 3rd down Christie kicked the winner. We were exhausted and all trying to figure out how we can get a tape of the game.

It was like yesterday!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

I was in either N2 or N3, had seasons low in N2 but we moved up to the top row at halftime. Why? Because my fiancé (wife now), her brother and a friend of ours had snuck in a bunch of beer in a duffle bag and with so many people leaving, we didn't want to get caught. Security then wasn't what it is nowadays, plus we had a couple friends that worked security that actually came up and would bring confiscated beer up to us (thanks to all the Canadians that always got caught btw).

Anyway, we watched the exodus of people from up top while I bitched that we should probably leave too and listen to Van on the way home. My wonderful fiance(whom I met at a game several years prior) talked me out of leaving and we enjoyed one of the greatest games (still love the raiders and phins championship games) that I've ever been too. A truly amazing day to be at a Bills game.

Edited by flomoe

i watched the game at casa de pizza on elmwood. had to have a ticket or some such to get in or it was 'knock three times and ask for luigi'. great day. remember pulling out on elmwood after the game, everyone honking their horns and hanging out their windows.

I was front row at about the 10-yard line. I remember Reed spiking the go-ahead touchdown and running right in front of me. At no time, did I think we would lose that game.

i didn't think they would lose either because back then the bills always found a way. my godfather and his friend were all doom, but i definitely believed.

it was the perfect storm really. any team with a real offense could have run the ball some to make it tough on the bills, but houston ran the run and shoot. not built to run time on the clock.

I was at the game start to finish and my two friends a couple rows in front left after the int in the 3rd. I remember having tears of excitement when one of my friends from college called to discuss the game. I said "was that not the most incredible thing you have ever seen"?! I totally had forgotten he was a die hard Houston fan, totally forgot

I, like most of the people posting truthful responses, was in a basement listening on a radio.

It is funny, for a game that did not sell out, there sure were a lot of people there.

I was at home in Victor, and was lucky enough to have Finger Lakes cable. Time Warner cable in Rochester had the game blacked out, but Finger Lakes cable was out of Syracuse I think. I was so bummed how the game was turning out. I started flipping chennels to find something else to watch, and would flip back to push the dagger in a little farther.

The Bills started to turn the game around, a score, a score. Then the amazing Steve Christie suicide onside kick, aptly named because the kicker follows the ball and falls on it. I started screaming, I started shouting and I was on my feet. The dog went and cowered by the back door. My neighbors heard me from across the road 300 feet away. I couldn't talk for a week after and saw the doctor b/c my throat was so raw.

To this day my voice has never been the same, but it doesn't matter. Now I sit in south Florida a a little local bar every Sunday and always will. Bills for life.

I was a kid in WI, so I started watching the game at home on tv, but down by 3 scores I headed out to the local rink to play hockey. When I got back home my dad informed me that the Bills had found a way to win, and that I should shovel the damn driveway.

I was in NYC (visiting for art stuff, before I made the move there) watching the game on a TV in a bar, my girlfriend and I drank a bit too much beer and were kind of tanked after the 1st quarter. At half time we decided to call an artist (who is really old now and was from Buffalo or has some kind of Buffalo connection and was actually pretty old then) we knew and go visit his studio, it was a great studio visit and we both enjoyed it.

The next day on the subway I saw someone reading the Post. On the back cover was a picture of a Houston play with his hands on his head and a headline that read "they choked!". I said "no effing way!" My girlfriend looked at me funny and said "what"? I pointed it out and we went to buy the paper. I couldn't believe I had missed it. I still have never seen the whole second half just the highlights. :wallbash:

I was in NYC (visiting for art stuff, before I made the move there) watching the game on a TV in a bar, my girlfriend and I drank a bit too much beer and were kind of tanked after the 1st quarter. At half time we decided to call an artist (who is really old now and was from Buffalo or has some kind of Buffalo connection and was actually pretty old then) we knew and go visit his studio, it was a great studio visit and we both enjoyed it.

The next day on the subway I saw someone reading the Post. On the back cover was a picture of a Houston play with his hands on his head and a headline that read "they choked!". I said "no effing way!" My girlfriend looked at me funny and said "what"? I pointed it out and we went to buy the paper. I couldn't believe I had missed it. I still have never seen the whole second half just the highlights. :wallbash:

Meh. You didn't miss much.

GO BILLS!!!

Unfortunately I wasn't into football back then I was more of a basketball guy My how the tables have turned. I bleed football now but unfortunately all I know from the Bills is that we suck. We have hope and then we get disappointed. I became a fan the year we got Bledsoe in I believe '02. So for me the greatest moment in "my" Bills history would have to be the comeback win against the Patriots last year and the Oakland game wasn't too shabby either (cuz I was there for that one).