Seeing is bill-ieving - reality check

I see your point but I actually liked some of the things he did last off-season like signing Barnett, drafting Dareus and Williams. Could he have done a little more to sure up the offense, like sign a more competent backup QB or another capable WR on the other side of Stevie, maybe. As for this season, I like that we drafted Glenn and I believe he'll be a difference maker on the o-line.

Agreed with the maybe, but we need to keep in mind that last year's offseason was a mess due to the lockout. The FO didnt really have a chance to address as much as they wanted. Especially if this offseason is any indication of how they really work. I dont think it would have had the big FA signing like Mario, but we probably would have had Stevie's contract done and more.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams run first if they can. They may not succeed up the middle this season, but the past few years they've had a heyday on the outsides and there's not a lot of reason to expect that to change this year.

The pass rush has been weak, but not as bad as the run D which over the past three seasons has been the worst in the league.

What NFL are you watching? It's a pass first, pass happy league. The Bills run D has been bad largely in part because the other teams builds a lead and then runs to keep the clock moving.

Edited by Ramius

Seems to me that our biggest problem defensively in the past few seasons has been the inability to stop the running game of our opponents, usually featuring RBs not even in the top 10 in the NFL.

2011: 28th yardage, 27th YPA

2010: DFL in both yardage and YPA

2009: 30th in yardage, 31st in YPA

The latter two on Nix's watch.

Teams run first if they can. They may not succeed up the middle this season, but the past few years they've had a heyday on the outsides and there's not a lot of reason to expect that to change this year.

The pass rush has been weak, but not as bad as the run D which over the past three seasons has been the worst in the league.

Like most stats....the run stats with the bills are misleading. I go by what my eyes tell me when I watch the games.

- The NFL is a pass first league.....and that is what teams did.

- When you cannot stop the pass.....you have to make defensive switches that create leaks in your run game defense....holes in a damn

- Opposing offenses spent a LOT of time on the field....Time of Possession.....because our defense could not force PUNTS....when opposing offenses spend a lot of time on the field.....they are gonna run the ball a lot.

Soooooo

- When you create a dominant pass rush (this includes players that play on the OTHER side of the line of scrimmage....ever notice how our DL and LB's always seemed to be on OUR SIDE of the line of scrimmage......that also disrupts plays and plays into run defense....blockers cannot get to the second level and get second level blocks because our defenders are past them and in their running backs lanes forcing him to go where he doesnt want to go.......

- When you create a dominant pass rush....teams will want to run the ball more or throw quick passes......making them much more predictable.....playing into the defenses hands

The improvement of that set of Down linemen affects things so much in so many other areas that it cannot be discounted.

I see your point but I actually liked some of the things he did last off-season like signing Barnett, drafting Dareus and Williams. Could he have done a little more to sure up the offense, like sign a more competent backup QB or another capable WR on the other side of Stevie, maybe. As for this season, I like that we drafted Glenn and I believe he'll be a difference maker on the o-line.

I agree with you about Barnett. That was an excellent pickup. But lets face it, my 10 year old could have made the Dareus pick :)

Next draft Nix works on the offense, and he is starting in a much better position than he was with the defense.

It certainly appears to me, a self proclaimed realist, that the Bills have turned the corner.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I will not be satisfied with merely making the playoffs or being relevant again. The Bills have to become good enough to go to the SuperBowl. That is what it is all about - and Nix and Gailey are on the same page with that.

However, considering what type of team Nix inherited, and the constraints that were there or appeared to be there - the Bills have seemed to make very obvious gradual steps in the right direction since Nix took over. This will be year three, and I think to date he has succeeded in totally replacing a weak, shallow (depth-wise) team, with a bigger, fast, talented, and now competitively deep team. We're no longer going to be run over or overlooked.

In his third year he's managed to elevate the players - across the board this is a good team, now - with a lot hangin on the QB position, but after last year he had to give Fitz a chance. One thing Nix has been doing that deserves a lot of credit - he's been signing most of the players to average or below average contracts, and he's managed to make it so that the Bills can get rid of players - like Fitz - without being committed to them long-term, if the need arises. So, he's done an excellent job with that, and if the QB position turns out to be in need of an upgrade, it'll be next year's top pick.

The coaching is better.

Players will want to come here now - at least, big names will not balk at coming to Buffalo.

You couldn't have turned this mess of a team around, a few years ago, any quicker than he has, without having done it the wrong way. This team is in good shape salary-cap wise, it is full of young players, and it is only going to get better for the quite foreseeable future.

And, he's already got his replacement (Whaley) on board and learning, who is considered a talent and a very wise selection as a young up-and-comer; and the transition will not disrupt the team's identity.

This team - if you ask me - is in an ideal place right now. There aren't many better looking teams, when it comes to being set up for success for the near future. All we're lacking is a unanimous franchise QB. I'll take this team, right now, and be happy with it, and I can't remember it being better off since the beginning of the 90's.

Edited by sllib olaffub

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

Wideouts - still need a complimentary receiver for S Johnson.

Linebacking is average at best

Corners - plenty of potential, but still green

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

No need to play out the season then, it seems you have it already figured out. Everything you mentioned here points to an 8-10 win season, that I agree with, and if it's 10 wins, then you made a strong case for fans to be excited, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make in all seriousness. Just looking at what has been added to the roster in the last few off-seasons, I'd say it would be pretty hard to do any better, and you can't fill every hole with one draft. What would you not have fixed, or what move would you have sacrificed in order to repair the deficiencies in your list? When there are 15 holes in the dam and you only have 10 fingers, you plug the ones you can, and that's the reality of what the front office has been dealt.

• 2 months later...

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

Good assessment.

To say that the corners are green is to understate matters. McKelvin stinks as a starter and all the rest of the corners combined have about as many starts as there are corners on the roster. It's all rookies and second year corners that didn't play last season and have no experience. Could derail the gains made on the DL.

Otherwise, future concerns are that Jackson will fall off any year. We all know he's "low mileage," but age catches up to all players and RBs hit a wall at 31/32 almost w/o exception. Is Spiller his heir?

Fitzpatrick had the fewest sacks of any QB but the most INTs last season. He also ranked 23rd in yards-per-attempt behind Tarvaris Jackson and Rex Grossman. How does a QB do that? For the same reasons that they designed an offense around another QB that was even worse, Trent Edwards, whom Gailey supported lock, stock, and barrel in coming to Buffalo. Huge question marks surrounding Fitz's play.

Otherwise, Nix and Gailey have won 10 games in two seasons. Until they win that many in one season, they could find themselves looking for new work next season.

Is it not possible that both are in over their heads? It's nice that they signed Mario, but how many times did he lead the Texans to the playoffs or 10 win seasons? ... oh that's right, none.

The Bills were 1-7 on the road last season and this season four of their first six games are on the road. 7 of their first 11 are on the road. If they don't start winning some road games, the home games at the end of the season won't matter. I don't know whether to thank the NFL for allowing us to play the Jags, Rams, Seahawks, and Fins in December, or hate them for giving us all these road games up front.

Yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn ....

DML is right.

No matter what happpens, whether it is getting a new Billionaire owner who is hellbent on revitalizing the franchise, or a new GM who knows how to build a team, Buffalo fans should never be happy or optimistic... :rolleyes:

Right. Souther man, we don't need you around anyhow.

While nothing in the NFL is ever guaranteed, anyone with half-a-mind for football can see what Buddy Nix has done the last 3 years and believe the Bills will be better. Anyone talking about "12 years, no playoffs", as if prior regimes have anything to do with today, is just showing their ignorance.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Right. Souther man, we don't need you around anyhow.

True enough, Chymp

BTW, why has this thread been resurrected ? Not that there was some great revelation or prognostication that has now been proven true. Probably just another miserable person looking for his daily dose of depression

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Agree whole Heartedly.

When RealityCheck is laughing at a post entitled "reality check" you know the OP made a bad decision. :lol:

Sometimes the truth is hard to handle. While we have gotten better at certain spots we are by no means a serious contender. Who knows, maybe these changes are what we neede but the OP made valid points regarding voids in our team. You just dont want to see them.

Isn't talent what we're really looking for? Who is to say, definitively, that a talented #2 won't emerge from the group that includes Easley, Jones, Graham, Hagan, Roosevelt, and Aiken?

No one says they cant but half cant stay healthy the other half cant get off the PS. Getting Stevie in th 7th and having him progress the way he has is 1 in a million. These guys just dont have it.

To every corn flake pisser that comes in and does this I ask the same question.

"What is the single biggest problem with this bills team over recent years"

PASS RUSH

then

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO FIX THAT

- We went out and got the single best DE that we have had on our team since probably Bruce Smith (and I was a big time Aaron Schrobel fan)

- Then we backed that up with bringing in a 10 sack DE for the other side

- This is to add to the returning Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Blue Chip monster Marcel Darius

- But see.....the bills didn't stop there. They didnt get greedy with their dollars....they KEPT the guys that started for us last year instead of jettisoning them.....giving us DEPTH

Now.....lets examine how the additions to to this position piss all over YOUR opinions

- A dominant pass rush makes average linebackers better

- A dominant pass rush covers up the green in your corners......

TAKE THAT PENBRIDGE SCHOLARS!

Really? How about a QB? and consistent play at WR and secondary, the fact that the prior regimes shat the bed means nothing now. You are missing the OPs point AGAIN. He is simply pointing out obvious defficiencies that I am sure all teams share. Why is this so hard to comprehend? I Want this team to win just as much as the next guy and argue with friends and football fans to the bitter end. This team is definetly better on paper lets see if it translates to the field.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

Buddy's grade as a GM remains incomplete with signs pointing up and down. 2010 draft, 2010 and 2011 UFA acquisitions aren't so hot. 2011 draft looks better, 2012 UFA signings excellent at this point. Still, it's a team under Nix working on their 2nd defensive scheme, have already fired a coordinator, have some offensive personnel challenges, and went 10-22 in their first 3 seasons. It's a make or break season and nothing less than a playoff appearance is acceptable.

Buddy's grade as a GM remains incomplete with signs pointing up and down. 2010 draft, 2010 and 2011 UFA acquisitions aren't so hot. 2011 draft looks better, 2012 UFA signings excellent at this point. Still, it's a team under Nix working on their 2nd defensive scheme, have already fired a coordinator, have some offensive personnel challenges, and went 10-22 in their first 3 seasons. It's a make or break season and nothing less than a playoff appearance is acceptable.

How were the 2011 UFA aquisitions bad? Last I checked Barnett was very good for us last year, both he (obviously) and Morrison are starters this year, and Gailey has a full offseason to add new wrinkles for Brad Smith. What about those acquisitions were no good?

How were the 2011 UFA aquisitions bad? Last I checked Barnett was very good for us last year, both he (obviously) and Morrison are starters this year, and Gailey has a full offseason to add new wrinkles for Brad Smith. What about those acquisitions were no good?

Good point but they didnt solve all of our problems in a single offseason, so people will never be happy. Nevermind that we got lucky that the Clabo deal didnt work out, as he would have been overpaid.

Ladies and gentlemen, TSW's **** cloud has returned, and it looms lower than ever!

Firing George Edwards, bad.

Designing a scheme to fit our current talent, then getting the best talent available to plug in, also bad.

We have one outstanding receiver, a handful of situational receivers, a receiving threat at tight end and two dynamite backs, "personnel challenges"

Couldn't do it last year, won't do it this year (easy schedule bedamned).

Oh, boy. You never fail to deliver!

At this point, I'm convinced this is some drawn-out performance piece.