Fred Jackson signs new contract

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If those numbers are correct, and we got Freddy for the next 3 years at ~$11M, then that's an absolute steal for us. Wow.

It looks like he and Stevie believe in this team enough to give home town discounts.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Rather than scour the 'net for this official announcement, I'm surprised you guys didn't just listen Fred Jackson and Buddy Nix discussing it live during the 2 PM press conference that just ended :beer:

I could have but I usually prefer to read Jboyst's speed-typed transcripts in situations like this.

Thanks!

Re: Byrd/Levitre, that would be the final bit of evidence to conclude, unequivocally, that Bills nation is collectively enjoying an offseason-long wet dream!! We're all going to wake up as the Pats* finish off a Super Bowl blow out over the Giants!

I thought we all agreed it was the leprechaun that the team took captive.

And the MF'er is LOYAL. Damn, just listening to him speak it makes you want to run out onto the field wearing the Bills' colors and hit something. Total class act.

There is no more deserving current player than Fred Jackson . . . who could not like this guy? Congrats Fred! you represent this team, its fans, and this region so well.

Well, eball just called him a MF'er…

:)

Thank you Marv for finding Fred.

Maybe the only good thing Marv did as GM.

But I can't give him too much credit because the signing was probably nepotism more than anything else.

Both Marv and Freddy are former Coe running backs and Marv is the guy who drafted CJ Ah You whose father he had coached years earlier.

In other words I doubt Marv saw a diamond-in-the-rough so much as he was tickled to sign another Coe guy who plays the same position he did.

I was on the road so this is the first chance I have to post on this. Excellent news, obviously. A bit surprised the deal was for such reasonable money and years. Never let it be said Fred is not a team-first guy. Had to listen to Schoop/Bulldog/Sully pontificate. I swear if it's good news those three have no idea what to say!

PTR

Jackson had one year left on a deal he signed in 2009. It averaged $1.87 million a year. His extension, through 2014, includes $8.7 million in new money, and that could rise to $11 million if he hits all incentives, a source with access to the contract told The News. The deal includes a $3 million signing bonus.

Jackson has led the Bills in rushing three straight seasons. He produced 1,376 yards from scrimmage in 10 games last season, accounting for 40 percent of the Bills' offense. Jackson led all NFL running backs in yards per carry, at 5.49 yards an attempt. That was the best total by a Bills running back since O.J. Simpson averaged 5.52 a carry in 1975.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article845779.ece?twobillsdrive

Good to see Fast Freddy get some.

Excellent news that Fred was extended, obviously.

Now I wonder if people could stop calling him "Fast Freddie". I've read that at least three times in the last day or so.

Speed is not Jackson's strength, it's vision, fluidity and perseverence IMO. And to compare him, purposely or accidentally, to Jonathan "Fast Freddy" Smith who we drafted in 2004 is an insult.

It looks like he and Stevie believe in this team enough to give home town discounts.

It's either a hometown discount or that Freddie's age reduces his market value.

Either way, I'm happy he's locked up for a couple years more.

And it was pretty cool that Fitz showed up at the press conference wearing a "FredEx" t-shirt.

http://www.buffalo.com/sports/blog/fitzs-fashion-strikes-again-in-fred-jackson-signing/

My favorite part of the interview/video on buffalobills.com is his sweat level progression through it. He practically pouring buckets out of his head by the end. Yes I know, those production lights get hot.

No details yet, but the Bills posted this on Facebook

Nix continues to do every thing he says he's going to do. Not only is he doing what's best for the team now, but he is building confidence and a good reputation for the Bills FO ( never thought that was possible...).

This isn't a tangible thing, but I believe signing Williams, getting contract extensions done for all of your best players, and living up to your word, will go along way towards keeping good players and attracting new FA's... Unlike the last 10+ years, it certainly seems like the FO is actually trying to win, not just survive...

I think a lot of the Bills players are truly happy to be on this team right now, I can't remember a similar feeling since the mid 90's...

Edited by Turbosrrgood