Would you trade Fitz for ....

Point taken. He SHOULD be a career back up. :thumbsup:

Only for definitions of "should be a career backup" that encompass at least 1/3-1/2 of the starting QB in the NFL, including a bunch of high 1st round draft picks :flirt:

I know ravens fans that would absolutely trade Flacco for fitz.

Ayup. Jets fans that would trade Sanchez for Fitz too.

Joe, your two threads prove your point nicely. ie the Bills might be improving but still do have the qb to go far.

So you think they can go far with Fitz, then? Some how I don't think that was Joe's point....I hope you're correct though!

Brady no - This would be like taking a cop out. My #1 priority is to beat this C%#K sucker.

Simmer down big boy with the FUs. We seem to be (sort of) talking statistically/in terms of skill here, not intangibles and fan emotion.

Other than that, I drink to this priority! :thumbsup::beer:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty surprised that people on this thread are so easily willing to dismiss Fitz as an average (or worse) QB. Everyone on this forum should know his history and what makes him valuable. He is one of the smartest players in the league. (In fact, I read an article last year that cited him as one of the smartest professional athletes in all of sports.) His early success last season should be taken seriously, and the poor finish to last season should have been a surprise to no one (even without his busted up ribs). At the start of last season the number one criticism of the Bills was that they "lacked depth." We read this ad nausuem. Turns out that it was true. Fitz may not be the most athletic QB in the league. But, it takes a lot more than a good arm to be a great QB. Fitz has the intellect to be our franchise QB. I would take a smart QB with an average arm over a dumb QB with a great arm ANY DAY. I believe history would prove that wise. And, by any measure, Fitz is considered a genius.

The best player on offense at a "talent" position last year was Freddie. He was a league leader. There's no freaking question about it. Fitz is not the offensive MVP or centerpiece. Ideally if you want to win it all as QB he ahould be But that's simply not the case here.

Brady yesyes but only with a very good line, so no... JK I do want a HOF QB so yes1

Sanchez no 1

Tannehill yes this is a joke right? no prove it first rook

Weeden yes this is a joke right? no prove it first rook

Flacco yes Fitz was out playing Joe until his line ribs and RB all were hurt and Flacco has one thing in his favor a decent long ball, otherwise he isn't as good so why trade for the same QB? no 2

Big Ben yes RAPE!! lol, but still yes2

Dalton yes yes maybe....okay yes, hmmm IDK... maybe 1

Schaub yes yes maybe....okay yes, hmmm IDK... maybe 2

Luck yes 3

Hasselback no 3

Gabbert no 4

Manning yes yes maybe....okay yes, hmmm IDK... maybe, the guy is almost as big a question mark as a rookie or maybe Fitz with the type of injury he had 3

Palmer yes no effing way 5

Rivers yes 3

Cassell no 6

I've got ....

3 yes

6 no

3 maybe (maybe's count as no because of the unsureness so

3 yes 9 no

nice summary - those were essentially my thoughts and i was thinking 2012 season only- RG3 and Luck may be awesome but i don't expect much this year, Manning is either going to be great or aweful etc.

Brady no - This would be like taking a cop out. My #1 priority is to beat this C%#K sucker.

Sanchez no - Not in a million years.

Tannehill no - You have to be kidding me on this one.

Weeden no - Where do you get such stupid ideas.

Flacco no - He is not better than Fitz

Big Ben no - good QB... lacks more important qualities

Dalton no - No NFL experience

Schaub no - Not better than Fitz

Luck no - no NFL experience

Hasselback no - too old

Gabbert no - he has a long ways to go

Manning no - not sure he would be able come back from his neck problems

Palmer no - Good QB but old

Rivers no - Good QB but he isn't right for this team

Cassell no - no way

Fitz is a unifying force on this team. While there are better choices from a statistical point of view, there is no way I trade Fitz in favor of them. Now if you want to talk about trading Thigpen that's different. Fitz....that's just crazy talk.

BTW, all of you who would trade Fitz in favor of Brady FU.

Speaking of being high...

It's like there is a bunch off non Bills AFC east fans on 2 bills dr.. shame on all of you. Remember

Rob johnson?

the 4 time superbowl loser jim kelly?

trent edwards?

Jp losman?

Well??

WTF western NY be happy we have fitzpatrick. Be happy we have someone who isnt a proven loser

So Disrespectful!!!!!!

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill yes

Weeden yes

Flacco yes

Big Ben yes

Dalton yes

Schaub yes

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Palmer yes

Rivers yes

Cassell no

I've got ....

11 yes

4 no

I would not trade Fitz for Joe Succo, no way, no how. Don't really want Matt Scrub, Hasselbeck, Tannehill, or Weeden either, Palmer maybe, Eli hell yes.

Edited by Rico

That's why you see so many Rhode Scholars in the Hall of Fame, right? Dan Marino can barely read but if it they were the same age I'd take him over Fitz in a heartbeat.

Gimme a break. Look at the man's career numbers for what they show, not what you want to see. He hasn't had success yet. He hasn't reached the playoffs yet. He has only completed over 60% of his passes in one season out of 3 as a starting NFL QB.

Dam Marino can barely read? Are you high? Along with being a well respected football analyst, he is a successful businessman and active in numerous foundations including his own.

And, are you honestly suggesting that intelligence is not a requisite for being a good quarterback? Seriously?!

But if you really want to talk numbers, Fitz's passer rating for the first seven games of last season averaged out to 98.2. That's pretty good. "Career numbers" cannot simply be taken at face value. Most of the statistics we use in analyzing football are meaningless without taking into consideration numerous variables which include the performance of other players on the field and the situation they are playing in. If you're really making an argument that intelligence in a QB doesn't matter, I'll bet I could name 32 head coaches that would disagree with you.

I'll play

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill no

Weeden no

Flacco yes

Big Ben no

Dalton yes

Schaub no

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning no

Palmer no

Rivers yes

Cassell no

I've got ....

5 yes

It's like there is a bunch off non Bills AFC east fans on 2 bills dr.. shame on all of you. Remember

Rob johnson?

trent edwards?

Jp losman?

Well??

WTF western NY be happy we have fitzpatrick. Be happy we have someone who isnt a proven loser

So Disrespectful!!!!!!

with all due respect what has Fitz won?

Fitzpatrick was tearing it up until after the Washington game in which he broke his ribs. That plus the injuries to key personnel leaves me with the impression that there's still hope he can still be our version of a little less accurate Drew Brees or Eli Manning type of QB. The classic late bloomer.

I was hoping the Bills could trade up for RGIII, but since that didn't happen I see no reason to want any other team's starting QB for the Bills. This includes older HOF guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. They aren't Bills. I wouldn't want them as Bills. We tried that with Drew Bledsoe and you see now that he has no allegiance with this team. It's as if he has wiped it from his memory bank. I don't care that he feels that way, I'm just pointing it out as a real reason not to want another team's established QB.

The only QBs that I'd like over Fitz are Newton, Luck or RGIII. That's it. Since that isn't happening, I'm excited to watch Fitzpatrick try to prove that the first part of 2011 was no fluke and that he has what it takes to lead this team to a Superbowl win.

Yep, ditto that.

Guys - I'm ok with Fitz and everyone who is so desperate to win just calm down. I know each of you want to win as much as I do. I'm so sick of losing and never faced it in my own sports career as I'm sure many of you are used to winning.

Before I write off Fitz, he had cracked ribs, lost Wood, much of his line week by week, and all of those defensive losses. I'm very hopeful as the one thing you can't teach is judgement.

I believe in Fitz.

Why is this post even up?!?!?! Fitz deserves another year of starting. He showed some glimpses of greatness and he is a natural leader. He doesn't have all the natural talent but does have some intangibles that I like. He deserves to lead one more time with a defense that can actually keep the offense on the field and see what he can do!!!!!

That's why you see so many Rhode Scholars in the Hall of Fame, right? Dan Marino can barely read but if it they were the same age I'd take him over Fitz in a heartbeat.

Gimme a break. Look at the man's career numbers for what they show, not what you want to see. He hasn't had success yet. He hasn't reached the playoffs yet. He has only completed over 60% of his passes in one season out of 3 as a starting NFL QB.

The comparison that the OP posted is to mostly average-or-less QBs; he posted every starting Q (or those expected to start) in the AFC. Joe Flacco ain't Dan Marino and never will be.

Rob johnson?

trent edwards?

Jp losman?

Well??

So Disrespectful!!!!!!

To be fair ... Fitz's winning percentage is 35%. So technically, he is a proven loser. Not that facts ever matter.

Dam Marino can barely read? Are you high? Along with being a well respected football analyst, he is a successful businessman and active in numerous foundations including his own.

And, are you honestly suggesting that intelligence is not a requisite for being a good quarterback? Seriously?!

But if you really want to talk numbers, Fitz's passer rating for the first seven games of last season averaged out to 98.2. That's pretty good. "Career numbers" cannot simply be taken at face value. Most of the statistics we use in analyzing football are meaningless without taking into consideration numerous variables which include the performance of other players on the field and the situation they are playing in. If you're really making an argument that intelligence in a QB doesn't matter, I'll bet I could name 32 head coaches that would disagree with you.

The Dan Marino "can't read" is in reference to a previous thread from years ago about Marino failing the wonderlick. And he's a Dolphin so his intelligence as joke fodder is always fair game. Key word being joke. The point wasn't that you don't have to be bright to play QB successfully in the NFL but rather that you don't have to be "brilliant".

As for the rest of your post I get it. You only want to look at the numbers you want to look at. That's cool. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting against Fitz. I like watching him play because he's fearless. But you can look at last year's drop off one of two ways:

1. He simply regressed back to his mean. If you look at his career numbers, he pretty much matched them during the slide. It wasn't so much he was playing badly (for Fitz) but more that he was just wasn't playing lights-out like he was in the first 7.

2. Injuries caused the drop off. To Fitz and the rest of the roster. Hard to play well with a MASH unit in front of you.

We'll find out this year which it was.

The comparison that the OP posted is to mostly average-or-less QBs; he posted every starting Q (or those expected to start) in the AFC. Joe Flacco ain't Dan Marino and never will be.

Again, the Marino thing was a joke. I know I'm not funny, but I didn't think I was so obtuse. :bag:

Edited by tgreg99

The only QBs I would consider trading Fitz for from the abovementioned list are:

Brady yes

Big Ben yes

Luck yes

Manning yes

Rivers yes

Sanchez No

Tannehill NO

Weeden NO

Flacco no

Dalton NO

Schaub NO (injury prone)

Hasselback No

Gabbert No

Palmer NO.

Cassell no

I would trade Fitz for a fried baloney sandwich. I have ZERO feelings for the guy. I think it's definitely time for this franchise to look to the future. The guys on your list are OK, but there's some fine young quarterbacks coming in next years draft class. Chas Dodd from Rutgers is a personal favorite of mine. Landry Jones would be nice too. Matt Barkley, and Arkansas' Tyler Wilson round out the list.

No more looking back for us. -And no more drooling over 35 year old QB's who have had successful careers. Once Fitzpatrick proves once and for all, that he is career backup, we can move on to greener, and younger pastures.

this shows a complete lack of knowledge of the game or any understanding how it's played