Would you trade Fitz for ....

Well, it goes both ways...Andre Johnson was a good receiver, until Matt Schaub came to Houston, he became an elite reciever.

I am not really trying to knock Fitzpatrick, but I honestly think the person making the point that the only difference between Schaub and Fitz is the talent around them, is just a little off...Schaub is more accurate, and has a substantially stronger arm. Big difference for an Andre Johnson type to have to adjust to catch every ball, as opposed to catching them in stride...

I have to agree on Schaub's talent as well as talent around him. But then I've liked Schaub and felt he was an underrated QB for a long time. I am pulling for him to stay healthy this year and come back strong.

On the other hand, one can say SJ was warming the bench and catching passes on the scouting team, until Fitz took over. He was a backup WR, now he's at least top-15 in the league.

So is that all SJ or does that say something about Fitz?

I will say that the best WR seem to be able to adjust and haul in the amazing catch. Manning certainly benefits from this, as does Romo. We still don't seem to have someone like that on the Bills.

I think Schaub is better but let's get real here. Johnson was the 3rd overall pick. Our highest drafted receiver is a 7th rounder who had like 200 yards prior to Fitz. Fitz doesn't throw the best deep ball in the world, but if he was throwing to Andre Johnson instead of a UDFA from Youngstown State, more than 50% of them would be caught. This is the reason I wanted Floyd. What Qb would light up the NFl with our receivers? Nelson was a 4th option in college and he was our 2nd leading wr.

That is my biggest disappointment with the draft and FA so far - not acquiring a truly elite WR.

So who would you have drafted this season?

I would have liked to see us draft Cousins or Wilson. I think from various snippets the Bills probably had them on their board, and intended to take one of them early in the 4th.

I think the Bills were surprised that the Redskins drafted Cousins after giving up so many draft choices to take RGIII - do they really need no upgrades anywhere else but QB?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost no one will argue fitz was an upgrade to losman and Edwards. But those guys are crap, beating them out hardly qualifies a QB as elite. SJ getting seperation on Revis HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FITZ. Stop blaming the line and not giving WRa any credit. Your fitz man-love has me believing you're his relative.

In your chosen 10 year period no journeyman backup with a weak arm has won a ring. Now go back your pocket pool lol

The question wasn't whether the QB in question will win the Superbowl.

The question was whether it makes any sense to trade someone who has proven they can play in the NFL, for an unproven rookie who has only played 16 college games or a chap who is just starting to learn how to QB in the NFL at the same age as Fitz. The point, since it seems to need further explanation, is that just because a QB is drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, they aren't guaranteed to be able to play in the NFL. Over 10 years, 2/3 of these would not be an improvement on Fitz at all and many would be worse. Maybe Tannehill or Weedon will win the Superbowl, but the odds are greatly against it.

The crack about "pocket pool" is funny on you. It tells way more about you and your pastimes than me and mine, as well as showcasing your level of wit and writing ability to their very best advantage.

Once a determination is made your QB is unlikely to get you a ring, it makes all the sense in the world to give someone else a chance where the ceiling could be a lot higher.That is of course if you set your sights on winning.

Asking me if i play Poker when you have no clue about strategy.

Stick to pocket pool, no strategy there. Lol

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I have to agree on Schaub's talent as well as talent around him. But then I've liked Schaub and felt he was an underrated QB for a long time. I am pulling for him to stay healthy this year and come back strong.

On the other hand, one can say SJ was warming the bench and catching passes on the scouting team, until Fitz took over. He was a backup WR, now he's at least top-15 in the league.

So is that all SJ or does that say something about Fitz?

I will say that the best WR seem to be able to adjust and haul in the amazing catch. Manning certainly benefits from this, as does Romo. We still don't seem to have someone like that on the Bills.

That is my biggest disappointment with the draft and FA so far - not acquiring a truly elite WR.

I would have liked to see us draft Cousins or Wilson. I think from various snippets the Bills probably had them on their board, and intended to take one of them early in the 4th.

I think the Bills were surprised that the Redskins drafted Cousins after giving up so many draft choices to take RGIII - do they really need no upgrades anywhere else but QB?

And they weren't available in the 4th. Therefore your comment that the FO failed to address the QB position is a result of who was available, not their refusal to draft one. Huge difference.

Edited by Marauder24

Reading an article on Cousins today he's already talking about playing someone where else:

Cousins isn't naive. He said things like, "If I'm as good as I hope to be someday, then I'm going to get that opportunity whether here or somewhere else," and he talked about having "a great relationship" with Griffin "for as long as we're teammates and beyond that, if or when someday we're not."

That situation is so messed up. I wonder what it would take to trade with skins for him now. Next years 3rd + conditional 7th? He'd be so psyched to get rescued out of there. Much better prospects of displacing fitz in starting role than RG3, who owns it for probably 3 years

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Reading an article on Cousins today he's already talking about playing someone where else:

Cousins isn't naive. He said things like, "If I'm as good as I hope to be someday, then I'm going to get that opportunity whether here or somewhere else," and he talked about having "a great relationship" with Griffin "for as long as we're teammates and beyond that, if or when someday we're not."

That situation is so messed up. I wonder what it would take to trade with skins for him now. Next years 3rd + conditional 7th? He'd be so psyched to get rescued out of there. Much better prospects of displacing fitz in starting role than RG3, who owns it for probably 3 years

One bad hit and he gets an audition. Saints could have a big bounty on RG3 week 1.

Once a determination is made your QB is unlikely to get you a ring, it makes all the sense in the world to give someone else a chance where the ceiling could be a lot higher.That is of course if you set your sights on winning.

Asking me if i play Poker when you have no clue about strategy.

Stick to pocket pool, no strategy there. Lol

And the clueless teach strategy - while revealing way too much information about what they do in their spare time

*plonk* <----- sound of falling into the pool of ignored

And they weren't available in the 4th. Therefore your comment that the FO failed to address the QB position is a result of who was available, not their refusal to draft one. Huge difference.

Not to pick a nit - I wasn't the one who commented that the FO failed to address the QB position, that was someone else.

Likely it was confusing for me to respond without pointing out I wasn't the one you were asking.

I personally agree with the strategy our FO seems to be adopting - we need a whole team to win, and QB who can carry a team like Manning are few and far between.

I guess to someone who feels the QB is the only thing that matters, the reason we haven't drafted a QB doesn't matter.

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill NO WAY

Weeden NO WAY

Flacco yes

Big Ben yes

Dalton NO

Schaub NO

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Palmer NO

Rivers yes

Cassell no

I've got ....

6 yes & 9 no. Of course, I expect at least three of those "yes" men to make the Hall of Fame one day.

I've always thought that Fitzpatrick is good, but not elite. He is getting paid as such and will keep his job until he gets too old or we find someone elite to replace him.

I strongly disagree with your opinion about Schaub. The numbers argue Schaub is a top-5 QB. Over the course of his career, he's averaged 7.9 yards per pass attempt; which is a better career average than either Peyton Manning (7.6) or Tom Brady (7.5). By way of contrast, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5 yards per attempt; and these last two seasons Fitz has averaged 6.8 and 6.7 yards per attempt. Fitz has an interception percentage of 3.7%, as compared to 2.5% for Schaub. Fitz and Schaub aren't even part of the same conversation. Nor will they be, until or unless Fitz greatly improves the quality of his play.

Brady yes

Sanchez no

Tannehill yes

Weeden yes

Flacco yes

Big Ben yes

Dalton yes

Schaub yes

Luck yes

Hasselback no

Gabbert no

Manning yes

Palmer yes

Rivers yes

Cassell no

I've got ....

11 yes

4 no

Carson Palmer? He has been mediocre at best since he tore his knee up in the playoff game against Pittsburgh. I am one who thinks Fitz might be one of the weak spots on this team now, but I still take him over Carson Palmer? Did you watch Palmer last year? Not sure I would take Weeden for him either, but if I was trying to win "Now" I might take Hasselbeck over Fitz.

Homerism at its finest. I saw one no to big Ben. I saw all no's to Hasselbeck? You all watched the second half of last season, no?

Oh but I forgot.. when I bring up that he was hurt during that time and that's why we need a new backup, I get told he was OK to play and it had nothing to so with how god-awful thigpen is.

Can't have it both ways boys. Either Fitz is really the first half QB or the second half. He was either badly hurt and we have a POS backup and need a new one, or he wasn't hurt and just sucks under any pressure of success.

No to big Ben. You've got to be !@#$ing kidding me.

Carson Palmer? He has been mediocre at best since he tore his knee up in the playoff game against Pittsburgh. I am one who thinks Fitz might be one of the weak spots on this team now, but I still take him over Carson Palmer? Did you watch Palmer last year? Not sure I would take Weeden for him either, but if I was trying to win "Now" I might take Hasselbeck over Fitz.

I see where you're coming from and it's not like on some kind of Palmer fan. But I think Palmer at his best > fitz at his best. And since I don't think fitz has what it takes (would love to be proven wrong since he's our guy this season), I opted for Palmer. Hasselback I like too, very athlletic and under rated. Been deeper in playoffs than Palmer or fitz. But at his age I opted to stay with fitz, conceding its a close call.

Homerism at its finest. I saw one no to big Ben. I saw all no's to Hasselbeck? You all watched the second half of last season, no?

Oh but I forgot.. when I bring up that he was hurt during that time and that's why we need a new backup, I get told he was OK to play and it had nothing to so with how god-awful thigpen is.

Can't have it both ways boys. Either Fitz is really the first half QB or the second half. He was either badly hurt and we have a POS backup and need a new one, or he wasn't hurt and just sucks under any pressure of success.

No to big Ben. You've got to be !@#$ing kidding me.

Fitz over Big Ben and Romo has to be the worst call ever. I know some people don't watch regular season Cowboys games (I guess). Big Ben on the other hand there is no excuse to not want big ben a million times over, Fitz doesn't belong in the same sentence as Big Ben really IMO. Big Ben is a warrior who gets it done.