Junior Seau Dead @ 43

We used to see Junior out and about quite frequently here in San Diego. People always used to come up to him all the time and he was very cool about it. I just left him alone. It wasn't uncommon to see Junior at numerous events at local hotels. One in particular was for a charity involving wheelchair athletes who played football. We hear a lot about athletes getting into trouble (especially in San Diego). But as for helping charities on another Saturday night, Junior did a lot of that. Junior helped a lot of the less fortunate in San Diego. I saw him do it.

Suicide sucks. I have lost too many friends this way. It is hard to understand. I lost one of my very first and best friends about a year ago. He was a big Bills and Sabres fan. I still don't get it. Why? He had kids but also some broken relationships. His heart was broken and apparently he felt empty. I insist I could have stopped my friend if I known how bad things were. To think that someone would throw their life away is difficult. And painful for those of us left behind. There isn't anything funny about it.

The local media is scrambling for answers. Speculation is beyond control right now. A number of my friends knew Junior personally. I did not. We don't have the answers right now.

In regards to the comments regarding our returning vets and their struggles with PTSD, I agree that their care should be a national priority. We have a lot of vets in San Diego. There have been numerous stories of vets committing suicide and struggling with adjustment in my neighborhood. We see them before they leave and we see some of them when they come back. They deserve better.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad, this is obviously another case of the collisions having their long term effects on guys. I am glad the NFL has finally started taking the proper steps in preventing at least SOME of the big time collisions, but sad that its too late for many guys.

It is NOT obvious. Many of these players were high string people before NFL and there is no proof this kind of thing would not occur otherwise if they got a job where they got millions of dollars and attention of millions.

Hearing his mother on the radio weeping and asking why he didn't talk her about whatever it was that was bothering him, makes me think it was a highly selfious act.

The radio guy that got that interview is the selfish one, if you ask me...

Interesting. Well if you get time, please PM them to me if you don't mind. Many medical issues are not an exact science, which is why I say he's seem to act prudently given the info at hand, but I may just not have seen the same reports you have. Thanks brother.

AJ, not sure if this helps..but this malcolm Galdwells articles from the New Yorker that really got the ball rolling in the head injury/trauma awareness. Interesting read if you have not read it.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

Just as interesting, there are much safer helmets avaialbale than the ones most players wear. They like the slimmed down look of the old..remember 23 year olds rarely worry about things that will happen when they get old and turn 40.

The NFL likes the players having the choice..relieves somewhat the liability of enforcing a certain helmet and players still getting hurt.

Sorry to hijack this thread..

AJ, not sure if this helps..but this malcolm Galdwells articles from the New Yorker that really got the ball rolling in the head injury/trauma awareness. Interesting read if you have not read it.

Just as interesting, there are much safer helmets avaialbale than the ones most players wear. They like the slimmed down look of the old..remember 23 year olds rarely worry about things that will happen when they get old and turn 40.

The NFL likes the players having the choice..relieves somewhat the liability of enforcing a certain helmet and players still getting hurt.

That's the stuff I want to read more about...I didn't know that about the helmets, but I'm glad to hear the safer ones are available to them if they choose to take advantage of that. Life presents all sorts of risks, and while I don't always want the decision to be made FOR me, I do think there is a responsibility for government, sports organizations, employers, etc to make you AWARE of the risks. That's why I think KD brought up an interesting point earlier, and it's why I want to learn more about what Buftex was saying. If nothing else, horrible events like Seau's suicide at least keep the dialogue and awareness moving forward. Appreciate it, man

Edited by ajzepp

There is something to the notion of common humanity that is lost on a lot of people...especially on message boards...I suspect that not everyone here is as big a dick in the real world as they present themselves here... who, beside you, is saying that people who feel kind of sad about the Seau situation don't care about military vets, or the "8-5 joes"? What a strange place to try to pick a fight like that.

Expressing your opinion is not "picking a fight" It's just my point of view. Should I get all gushy about Seau[Who frankly I could give a crap about] so I fit in in with the professional mourners?

But of course you are properly upset, So I am a heartless Dick.

Expressing your opinion is not "picking a fight" It's just my point of view. Should I get all gushy about Seau[Who frankly I could give a crap about] so I fit in in with the professional mourners?

Oooooh, I'm telling Booster.

Prepare yourself for a tsunami of self-righteous guilt trips.

Edited by Jauronimo

That's the stuff I want to read more about...I didn't know that about the helmets, but I'm glad to hear the safer ones are available to them if they choose to take advantage of that. Life presents all sorts of risks, and while I don't always want the decision to be made FOR me, I do think there is a responsibility for government, sports organizations, employers, etc to make you AWARE of the risks. That's why I think KD brought up an interesting point earlier, and it's why I want to learn more about what Buftex was saying. If nothing else, horrible events like Seau's suicide at least keep the dialogue and awareness moving forward. Appreciate it, man

I just PM'd you a 35 page PDF that calls into serious question, the NFL's handling of concussion study information, as recent as 2005. Enjoy!

Marcellous Wiley, literally balling his eyes out over Seau...apparently they were good friends...also, Adam Schefter reporting that Seau never once, in his NFL career, was listed as having a concussion, or head injury...doesn't mean it didn't happen...but interesting.

I didn't say heartless.

I know, you reserve your right, like everyone, to tell people who give a **** about something, that you don't give a ****...but they are phonies, because they don't (you seem to assume) care about things that you think are more important.

btw- almost nobody in this thread is getting "gushy" about Junior Seau, just expressing the bigger implications that his death might have on something we all (I think) have in common, a love of football. Sorry our "professional mourning" and being "properly upset" doesn't fit in with your rugged individualism.

Edited by Buftex

Thanks for the link. That is some powerfully sad testimony by Turley. Does anyone think he's the exception? The outlier? I don't. We've been hearing these sad tales for years. Lineman are particularly susceptible, it seems.

Mike Webster, HOF center and a mainstay on four SB teams, sleeping on the floor in an Amtrak station? The NFL and the NFLPA should be ashamed.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't say heartless.

I know, you reserve your right, like everyone, to tell people who give a **** about something, that you don't give a ****...but they are phonies, because they don't (you seem to assume) care about things that you think are more important.

btw- almost nobody in this thread is getting "gushy" about Junior Seau, just expressing the bigger implications that his death might have on something we all (I think) have in common, a love of football. Sorry our "professional mourning" and being "properly upset" doesn't fit in with your rugged individualism.

So without the heartless part, I am just a dick? I have often been compared to John Holmes so I will accept that.

I just PM'd you a 35 page PDF that calls into serious question, the NFL's handling of concussion study information, as recent as 2005. Enjoy!

Much appreciated! I'm interested to see what's up with this...thanks man!

Since you claim to not really give a crap about any of this, I suppose what you could have done is displayed some dignity and self-restraint by keeping your piehole shut instead of intentionally trying to upset people who were already bothered about the death of somebody they respected. But I guess that's just not the kind of man you are.