Fred Jackson contract next on horizon

I think Nix needs to address a contract extension for Fred Jackson over the next 30-60 days and lock Fred up as a "Happy" Bill for the next few years. This serves several purposes, not the least of which are rewarding his performance, making one of our best players happy and securing him beyond next year. But it also speaks to the rest of the roster that he is indeed a man of his word and someone who does what he says. Fred was at camp last week and didn't complain or make any Osi-statements about the GM. It's time to reward Fred with a 3-year extension at $6M+.year.

I give FredEx a lot of credit. Anyone can look at his contract next to Spillers and see the gross inequity.

Based on performance, those 2 contracts should be swapped. But it is what it is and kudos to Fred for not being a whiny B word about it.

I agree that Nix should step up. No reason he has to of course, but Fred is being a man about it and now it's time for Nix to be one as well.

I am really surprised. Last offseason he seemed a little upset about carries. It wasn't a huge deal, but I wasn't expecting him to be so awesome about the contract thing. I just hope it works out. I would hate for the bills to lowball him and for him to get upset. That would throw all the good stuff into turmoil. We had such a good offseason by re-signing our guys, signing big free agents, and drafting well, it would suck to give all that a black eye

Keep in mind, cap for 2012 is now essentially done; so Bills know (within a few dollars) how much they will spend on their picks --- I don't think there is a key FA lurking --- I also agree it's interesting how calmer Freddie is now then last year --- there MUST have been some strong assurances from Nix --- last point -- Nix said on GR that he didn't want to see new contracts or extensions drag out like with Stevie -- I say this gets done before end of May

Right after the rookies sign, it's Freddy time.

PTR

+1. I don't see Freddy as a "me" kind of guy. He's always team first. If Nix said his contract will get done, I don't think Freddy has any doubt. He is a football player that any coach would dream of having on their team.

Nix said the other day that the next order of business is to work on Fred's contract as well as start the ball rolling on trying to lock up Byrd and Levitre -- or other players whose contracts are up after this year -- although that was a generic statement he made about wanting to talk to these guys (re:agents) early rather than have it last until like when Stevie re-signed right before free agency. And he said that in two weeks they start working on the 2013 draft. ;)

I am hoping that we'll have all our key guys taken care of by the end of the offseason. I think Buddy wants it that way, and I think they players prefer it that way. I am sure someone will act up about it (maybe Merriman because he seems like a difficult negotiation for a number of reasons) but I think its in everyone's best interest to have it done sooner than later.

+1. I don't see Freddy as a "me" kind of guy. He's always team first. If Nix said his contract will get done, I don't think Freddy has any doubt. He is a football player that any coach would dream of having on their team.

Fred was very pissed last year about his contract and vocalized it to some people, including the Bills front office. But he is not the kind of guy that is not going to put in the 100% effort when it comes to working and playing on the practice field and game. Buddy promised and convinced him that they will re-do his contract after the draft and before training camp and Fred has just put his trust in Nix's word. And while I'm 100% sure they will enter negotiations and make a decent offer, it remains to be seen if Fred will be happy with it.

Now is the time they will sit down and try to hammer out a deal with CJ Laboy, Fred's agent. Hopefully, the Bills will not lowball him, although he is one of the hardest players in the league to evaluate. The last time the Bills did lowball him and he was pissed about that, too. This time, I think they will do it right, and he won't get a huge contract, nor likely what he is hoping for, but it will be enough that will make him happy and ready to go. Too much is riding on the goodwill the team has created in the city and locker room to screw this up. Fred is one of if not the leader and heart and soul of the team. The Bills have been VERY willing to spend money lately and it would be foolish not to take care of Fred, even as a 31 year old RB. It doesn't have to be a lot. I would say 3 years 15 mil with half of that guaranteed.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

That's fair to Fred and easily digestible for the Bills...

I think the offer will likely be half that 3 years, 15 m offer. I'd say look for 3 years and 7 million.

Fred is a stud and has been playing terrific and hes an emotional leader- that's why he gets an offer

Otherwise he is an over 30 year old backup coming off a leg injury.

Let's watch this and hope Fred is smart about not asking for too much money

I think the offer will likely be half that 3 years, 15 m offer. I'd say look for 3 years and 7 million.

Fred is a stud and has been playing terrific and hes an emotional leader- that's why he gets an offer

Otherwise he is an over 30 year old backup coming off a leg injury.

Let's watch this and hope Fred is smart about not asking for too much money

If the Bills offer him 3 years and 7 million, I would bet that Fred explodes, demands a trade, holds out, and the locker blows up in turmoil.

If the Bills offer him 3 years and 7 million, I would bet that Fred explodes, demands a trade, holds out, and the locker blows up in turmoil.

Yeah. There's a difference b/w being frugal, being cheap, and then being disrespectful.e

Three years and $15-17M likely already is skirting the line of frugality. And for a guy who was on Freddy's pace, what he meant to the team which was evident when he went down, you pay the man his due. Just b/c the Bills had all the levers on their side every time a contract came up doesn't mean that how they handled his deal was right. The waters aren't necessarily poisoned, but there's less leeway for Overdorf to come to them with a lowball without it being taken personally.

It's amazing how many people are more concerned about Fred's Contract than he is..

I never say trust me because I never trust anyone who says trust me.

So just believe me... ;)

After hearing it from people with direct knowledge of the situation over the years.

Fred isn't concerned about being re-negotiated at all. He knows it's going to happen and he trusts Nix because Nix gave him his word. He's VERY concerned about how much money he is going to be offered, he's just not going to worry about something until the deal is put on the table. If it is a lowball offer (which I don't think it will be), he will explode. And he has every right to.

I think Nix needs to address a contract extension for Fred Jackson over the next 30-60 days and lock Fred up as a "Happy" Bill for the next few years. This serves several purposes, not the least of which are rewarding his performance, making one of our best players happy and securing him beyond next year. But it also speaks to the rest of the roster that he is indeed a man of his word and someone who does what he says. Fred was at camp last week and didn't complain or make any Osi-statements about the GM. It's time to reward Fred with a 3-year extension at $6M+.year.

If Fred goes for $6m / year for 3 years, you do that deal. His agent won't let him take it though, as this will be his last "big" contract. I expect him to be franchised at $8-9m for next year and say goodbye the year after. In this era of big time player agents,etc, that is just the way I think this is going to go. Don't like it, but you don't pay people for past performance, you pay them in the NFL for future performance. You are already paying them for past/present performance. No gold watches in the NFL.

I love Fred. I want him to end his career with the Bills. The only issue that he has is his age and the market for running backs in this day and age. On the flip side, he has a lot fewer miles on him and is a high character guy and team leader.

I love Fred. I want him to end his career with the Bills. The only issue that he has is his age and the market for running backs in this day and age. On the flip side, he has a lot fewer miles on him and is a high character guy and team leader.

95% or more of contracts are for the future. What are you worth to us in the next 1-5 or more years based on what you have done in the recent past for us, or some other team. With only that in mind, because of Fred's age, his contract would seem to be relatively small. But, sometimes, as is the case here, the contract needs to reflect what you have done for the team in the past, and what you were paid in the past, and what affect you have on the team on the field and in the locker room and for the fans. This is one of those rare instances. The Bills need to pay him more than they normally would for his future because of what he has meant and what he means. And I think they will.

I don't buy "less wear and tear argument" completely, but there is some merit -- nothing compares to NFL in terms of hitting --- I think Fred's agent is smart enough to know the leverage is minimal and if Fred hits open market after this season, he will only get "some" interest --- given his age -- just look at lack of interest in other players after age 30 --- The Bills should give him 3 year extension with an obvious out after year 2 -----

You think it is the same?!?

You think he was being hit by pillows by Victoria's Secret models?

Are you saying that Fred dogged his workouts because he wasn't in the NFL?

Edited by jeremy2020

Grow up...they are all me first and if i was a 30+ running back looking for one last big pay day i would not risk getting hurt. Freddie can set himself up for life with one signature. This is a very tricky spot for Nix. He seems to do what he says so I see it getting done, but he can't hamstring his ability to reup Levitre, Byrd, and Wood either. Hopefully Freddie will realize his best chance at getting paid is with the Bills and his agent will be reasonable.

It's amazing how many people are more concerned about Fred's Contract than he is..

If you think Jackson is not concerned about his contract they you are incredibly naive.

This is his livelihood and future we are talking about.

He is concerned, just not making a public spectacle out of himself.

If Fred goes for $6m / year for 3 years, you do that deal. His agent won't let him take it though, as this will be his last "big" contract. I expect him to be franchised at $8-9m for next year and say goodbye the year after. In this era of big time player agents,etc, that is just the way I think this is going to go. Don't like it, but you don't pay people for past performance, you pay them in the NFL for future performance. You are already paying them for past/present performance. No gold watches in the NFL.

:huh:

FJ is currently under contract (if memory serves he has two years left). He is not a Free Agent so why would the Bills be franchising him and then letting him walk, when those aren't even the parameters? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you hit The reply button and let loose the clichés.

This is an extension or new contract and rip up the old one type deal.

95% or more of contracts are for the future. What are you worth to us in the next 1-5 or more years based on what you have done in the recent past for us, or some other team. With only that in mind, because of Fred's age, his contract would seem to be relatively small. But, sometimes, as is the case here, the contract needs to reflect what you have done for the team in the past, and what you were paid in the past, and what affect you have on the team on the field and in the locker room and for the fans. This is one of those rare instances. The Bills need to pay him more than they normally would for his future because of what he has meant and what he means. And I think they will.

Agree 100%. This has to do with much more than current/future player value. It has to do with team psyche and character. I want to root for the kind of team that pays a guy like Fred Jackson based on what he has (cheaply) already contributed and on what he means to the team overall. And I want to attract the kind of player that wants to play for a team like that.

Agree 100%. This has to do with much more than current/future player value. It has to do with team psyche and character. I want to root for the kind of team that pays a guy like Fred Jackson based on what he has (cheaply) already contributed and on what he means to the team overall. And I want to attract the kind of player that wants to play for a team like that.

Yeah, look what Kelsay got (4 years, $28.2 million) he's nowhere near the player Fred is...

Edited by Lurker

Let's see, he was undrafted in 2003.

He played for the Sioux City Bandits (albeit not Victoria's Secrets) from 2004-2005. He then played for the Rhein Fire for a year in the WLAF.

My guess is that, while the competition was not Adriana Lima, it also was not the NFL. Thus, my comment about Fred having fewer "miles" than he would have otherwise.

Just my two cents.

You think he was being hit by pillows by Victoria's Secret models?

Are you saying that Fred dogged his workouts because he wasn't in the NFL?

We certainly love this guy and want the best for him and his family. He is a younge 30. But listen to us. One contract and he is set for life- etc. He makes over a million now. How many of us could even dream of this? Thats alot of money. He should be happy with how many millions?? This is planet earth. Come down to it. Nix will be fair and he should be happy with it. Stick in a big bonus factor and see if it happens. He is not Super Man.

If we extend Fred, Byrd and levitre this will probably go down as the best off season in Franchise history. Next on the list. Getting a really good QB and upgrade our WRs