NBA Playoffs thread...

Buftex

People can differ on that one issue but I think being in either of arenas during these games would be electric...def. OKC. Pretty good atmosphere IMO probably better than most NFL games.

I used to have season tickets for the Austin Wranglers...and indoor Arena Football team. You know what? The games were pretty entertaining, but I stopped going to afternoon games, because there were too many kids with those !@#$ing "thunder sticks"... I used to get migranes so bad, I would literally vomit...

When I see NBA games broadcast from Orlando, Miami or OKC, as exciting as it is, all I can think about is how I would hate being in those arenas. Crowd noise, chanting is cool...but thunder sticks (they kind of make sense for OKC) are awful, and, sorry, but "white outs" look silly. The music thing doesn't bother me as much, to a point.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think nba is ok if it's loud and raucous as thats the nature of things. But I hated when they started playing that crap at the old Yankee stadium, doubly worse because they had a horrible sound system. Really took away from a slower paced cerebral sport like baseball. Idk about new stadium, only been in a luxury suite which is like watching from a hotel room

What would send me running for the exits at a miami game is when they play that horrible "heat is on" song by Kenny loggins

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I used to have season tickets for the Austin Wranglers...and indoor Arena Football team. You know what? The games were pretty entertaining, but I stopped going to afternoon games, because there were too many kids with those !@#$ing "thunder sticks"... I used to get migranes so bad, I would literally vomit...

When I see NBA games broadcast from Orlando, Miami or OKC, as exciting as it is, all I can think about is how I would hate being in those arenas. Crowd noise, chanting is cool...but thunder sticks (they kind of make sense for OKC) are awful, and, sorry, but "white outs" look silly. The music thing doesn't bother me as much, to a point.

I hadn't been to an NBA game in a long time when we went to the Cavs vs. Celts in Cleveland in 2009. It was a non-stop barrage of music, T shirt shooting and all that, which is like Sabres games now.........But, when they started playing music during the actual action, I'm like this is ridiculous and my friends said You're not a Braves game!

Back in the good old days they would play nba games in sub-zero temperatures, uphill both ways...and they wouldn't even jump when they shot baskets. And it was so quiet they actually had a maternity ward with newborns at half court. Yup those were some good times. You young greasers today have it too good.

I hadn't been to an NBA game in a long time when we went to the Cavs vs. Celts in Cleveland in 2009. It was a non-stop barrage of music, T shirt shooting and all that, which is like Sabres games now.........But, when they started playing music during the actual action, I'm like this is ridiculous and my friends said You're not a Braves game!

yea its a bit much. at some point the product on the court needs to be the showcase - not manufactured excitement from constant and random noise

What an ugly end for Westbrook and okc as a whole

Team doesn't look ready for this stage. It's been said time and time again - okc needs to be Durants team not Westbrook if they will win.

Edited by NoSaint

What an ugly end for Westbrook and okc as a whole

Team doesn't look ready for this stage. It's been said time and time again - okc needs to be Durants team not Westbrook if they will win.

Yeah they're just not disciplined enough right now. Theyre where Miami was a year or two ago.

Yeah they're just not disciplined enough right now. Theyre where Miami was a year or two ago.

I'm surprised they didn't hit harden worse on air for tying up for the jump ball. Would have been a 24 violation and Westbrook never gets a chance to mess up.

Seems they just weren't sharp on the rules or situationally aware. Young team that will grow a lot.

If I remember right, didn't Jordan's first title come when the Bulls split at home and then went to LA and swept them on their own court?

Yah, they crushed it on the road in the finals throughout their first 3peat and were actually very mediocre at home. The 2nd 3peat post-baseball was just the opposite.

They keep asking why hardens off his game and not scoring. Pretty obvious it's because he's getting the crap beaten out of him trying to cover James. It's like here go ride this bull for 30 seconds, then run the length of the court, then try to keep your breath and wits about you ... Good luck with that

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Just an odd series...OKC has been into every game up to the end, but it never feels like they will win them. The Heat having such a tough time with the Pacers may be the turning point for the Miami "dream team"...if nothing else, that series is what made Lebron take that last step in his development. He isn't going to let them lose...

I owe Exiled In Illinois an apology...I never thought Miami would win this in 5, but OKC looked pretty dis-spirited at the end of tonight's game. Not saying they won't win Thursday night, but I wouldn't bet on it...

I owe Exiled In Illinois an apology...I never thought Miami would win this in 5, but OKC looked pretty dis-spirited at the end of tonight's game. Not saying they won't win Thursday night, but I wouldn't bet on it...

exactly, never seen such a look of resignation from a team that was technically still alive, especially considering the closeness of the games as you say

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The refs have made way too big of an impact in this series. OKC needs to play better but the calls definitely seem slanted towards getting LeBron a ring. He creates contact all the time but when someone on OKC does it, it's a foul. That said, the NBA wants more games so look for the refs to hook the Thunder up big time in game 5.

The refs have made way too big of an impact in this series. OKC needs to play better but the calls definitely seem slanted towards getting LeBron a ring. He creates contact all the time but when someone on OKC does it, it's a foul. That said, the NBA wants more games so look for the refs to hook the Thunder up big time in game 5.

Refs have had too large of an impact on NBA series for qutie a while...this is nothing new. Decades.

It used to be isolated controversial calls (JoJo White vs Bob McAdoo in playoffs, etc)...they happned infrequent enough that you rememmbered them. It was really the Jordan era where things got so painfully out of hand. I am not blaming it all on Jordan...I am sure superstars beofore him got the benefit of a doubt...but it was during the Jordan era, to my recollection, that the phantom calls really started to become pronounced... I understand bad calls, and, I do think the NBA would be one of the harder games to officiate...the players are big, the court is small, the action happens fast. You can't review every play. One result of Jordans' success, agressive movements toward the net are now the norm, when they used to be spectacular. Now, there is so much contact...

I am happy to see that Stern is taking a serious stand toward addressing the flopping issue. It really is bad. But, honestly, without reviewing the plays on the spot (thus slowing the game down to an unnatural degree) I don't know how they will be able to enforce it. They are saying, starting next season, there could be "retro-active penalties" for flopping. Meaning, just becasue the refs don't catch it during the game, all game tapes will be reveiwed, and if it is deemed you took a flop last night, you could pay for it next game...which is about as good as you could ask for...but in a playoff game (particularly ones as close as these finals have been), a bad call resulting from an flop or two, could realistically be the difference between winning and losing.

As much as I love the NBA, over the last few years in particular, I get so pissed off when I hear analysts harping about how a guy "needs to get to the free-throw line more" to improve his game.... Broussard was going off yesterday about Durant having to step his game up, and getting to ther charity stripe more often...what a bastardization of the game. It's a complex issue, and there is no perfect solution...but Stern and Co., I think, can do better.