NBA Playoffs thread...

Buftex

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat NBA champions. Give props now even if you hate them...they earned it and won in spectacular fashion

No. It was a tainted season... Not a real season. I don't hate them. I will give them credit when they can do it in a real season like the other champions. Illegitamate champs.

:P

I am with Crayonz... The NBA is scripted.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That was lame...I don't know what to think. After game one I thought for sure the Thunder would pretty much handle these blowhards...tonight was a disgrace.

That was lame...I don't know what to think. After game one I thought for sure the Thunder would pretty much handle these blowhards...tonight was a disgrace.

I now hate the Thunder for laying down. I had been thinking I wanted the Spurs in there, because I wasn't sure if the Thunder were ready. After game one, I thought they obviously were........But they weren't.

I wish the Heat would have rolled through the playoffs. Three times the media had them counted out, and they're going to have to trade Bosh and maybe Wade and all this.....Down 2-1 to the Pacers (they just can't win this series without Bosh), 3-2 to the Celtics (they don't have the heart like the Celtics) and 1-0 to the Thunder (though the whole playoffs, and esp. after game one, all of the media was saying it didn't matter who came out of the East, the Spurs/Thunder will kill them).

Damn!!

A couple of years ago... I think he predicted 2012 was gonna be the year? The NBA is unvbelieveably rigged... Whoever didn't see this coming was duped!

??

Crayonz has predicted, correctly, every finals winner correctly, since 2008, when Boston won. Last season was a little murkier...before the playoffs started, however, he did say that neither Boston, the Lakers or Miami would win it...it would be a dark horse team...I know he mentioned Dallas and/or Denver as the most likely winners. IIRC, he predicted, well in advance, when Lebron would get his first ring...and it was 2012.

I have been arguing with him about the whole "NBA is fixed" thing for years. I still won't concede...but he does seem to know what is going to happen.

Crayonz, if you read this, just let me know when Boston gets back to the winners circle so I can save myself some stress.

All in all, a pretty fun playoff season for the NBA. Honestly, I would have been happier to see just about any team win the whole damn thing, rather than Miami. The hate that fueled these playoffs was fun...I am one who thinks there is plenty of room in sports for hate... hate to say it, but Miami winning a ring with there "big 3" was inevitable...might as well get it over with. Deep in my heart, I was really hoping for a Lakers/Celtics finals...just one more time...but I think we are about to hit a stretch where either Lebron, Durant, or both, are in the finals for some time to come.

I now hate the Thunder for laying down. I had been thinking I wanted the Spurs in there, because I wasn't sure if the Thunder were ready. After game one, I thought they obviously were........But they weren't.

I wish the Heat would have rolled through the playoffs. Three times the media had them counted out, and they're going to have to trade Bosh and maybe Wade and all this.....Down 2-1 to the Pacers (they just can't win this series without Bosh), 3-2 to the Celtics (they don't have the heart like the Celtics) and 1-0 to the Thunder (though the whole playoffs, and esp. after game one, all of the media was saying it didn't matter who came out of the East, the Spurs/Thunder will kill them).

Damn!!

You guys could...ya know...give credit for great defense and shooting really well when it counted most...ya know...admit the Heat are good and played hard and earned the championship...

Biggest surprise for me was contributions from non-stars/bench. Like everyone else I thought that would be OKCs main advantage. Instead they disappeared and miamis came alive: Battier early on , chalmers game 4, miller out of no where 7 for 8 from 3 point last night ..... &@#%$

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Crayonz has predicted, correctly, every finals winner correctly, since 2008, when Boston won. Last season was a little murkier...before the playoffs started, however, he did say that neither Boston, the Lakers or Miami would win it...it would be a dark horse team...I know he mentioned Dallas and/or Denver as the most likely winners. IIRC, he predicted, well in advance, when Lebron would get his first ring...and it was 2012.

I have been arguing with him about the whole "NBA is fixed" thing for years. I still won't concede...but he does seem to know what is going to happen.

Crayonz, if you read this, just let me know when Boston gets back to the winners circle so I can save myself some stress.

All in all, a pretty fun playoff season for the NBA. Honestly, I would have been happier to see just about any team win the whole damn thing, rather than Miami. The hate that fueled these playoffs was fun...I am one who thinks there is plenty of room in sports for hate... hate to say it, but Miami winning a ring with there "big 3" was inevitable...might as well get it over with. Deep in my heart, I was really hoping for a Lakers/Celtics finals...just one more time...but I think we are about to hit a stretch where either Lebron, Durant, or both, are in the finals for some time to come.

It's basically saying at the time obvious things that were most likely to happen...then a non-prediction for last year...then that LeBron would finally get one in 2012....anybody could have made those predictions. In fact of all of those predictions the best one was that a "dark horse" would win last year ... and yet he did not name the dark horse specifically...

In any event...predicting the future doesn't mean it's rigged. I've basically called the CFB champion for 5 of the past 6 years...does that mean there's a script?

Heres my bold prediction:

OKC should be back. Who else in the west can challenge them ? Spurs and lakers are old and older. 

I actually think heat will have a more difficult time getting back because there's better competition in the east. 

But as it stands now, this won't be last time these teams meet in the finals.

You guys could...ya know...give credit for great defense and shooting really well when it counted most...ya know...admit the Heat are good and played hard and earned the championship...

Uh, no.

Gee celts fans still sucking the sour grapes. Like the "classy" Garnett and rondo walkkng off the court with time left refusing to shake hands with victorious heat. I wonder if those 2 sour pusses turned off the TV with 5 mins left in last nights game too? Lol

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I actually did not write anything about Boston winning in 2008. I prefer not to call these things predictions as they are more an ability to read the script. Your note above sells me short in a few areas but also gave me credit going back too far. All of what I stated can be verified by going through old threads. A lot of it is in threads dedicated to the NBA/NBA playoffs. I believe it started in a regular season thread and my first relevant post was in roughly February 2009.

In summary:

In roughly Feb 2009 the Celtics had won the Finals the previous year. I stated that the 09 Finals would go to the Lakers over an "upstart" team. I named that team to be either the Hawks or Magic. It turned out to be the Magic. At some point I predicted the series would go 5 games, which it did. I also stated that the Celtics excuse would be an "injury" to a prominent player. Not long later KG got "injured".

Still in that thread I believe, I said that the following year the Lakers/Celtics would be in the Finals and that the Finals would go 7 games. I said that game might even be played as a legitimate basketball game but that it would certainly go 7. I said I slightly favored the Lakers in a game 7 but that the Celtics would be allowed to have a chance. Lakers won in 7.

I followed up by saying that in the 2011 Finals an unusual team would be allowed to win. Again, i did this in 2009. I did a little speculation at the time but most of it was reserved until the field of 16 playoff teams was set in 2011. At that point I named several teams I saw as "eligible" and tried to zero in on a few. It can be easily documented that my top pick, although not by much, was Dallas. THIS WAS LAUGHED AT. I also mentioned Chicago, Denver, the Knicks who were obviously a major long shot, maybe OKC I can't remember but there was someone else too. It would definitely not be C's Lakers or Heat as you pointed out. I also didn't like the Spurs.

The main rationale for me picking Dallas was that Mark Cuban had been quiet for a long period indicating he and Stern had some sort of deal. In addition, Cuban was making guest appearances on ABC's "Shark Tank" cross promoting the NBA on its broadcast network in a way that had to be pleasing to Stern. Do you think Cuban, a major business mogul, enjoyed sitting their as housewives pitched him on ideas like gourmet dog food? I can imagine Stern laughing like crazy at that.

Even back in 2009 the 2012 Finals were easy. It was always going to be LeBron and the coming of age was always going to be in the playoffs. There would be doubts sprinkled in and he would overcome stuff like the game 5 loss to Boston and the Bosh injury. This Finals even 3+ years ago was the easiest to figure out from all of them

To be fair, Stern fooled me on a few. The most prominent was the landing spot for LeBron. I never really saw Miami coming until late in the process. I had guessed that it would be staying in Cleveland, the Knicks, or the Bulls as my top 3. I probably got out of my realm trying to pick that and Stern did a great job with the hero turned anti-hero turned hero again thing.

I am sure I missed a few things in the summary above, but Buftex is right stating I showed the results of four Finals in a row....not 5 though IIRC.

From this point forward I am not really sure what I can offer in terms of the future. I am not sure how much longer Stern will be around and it is really all about him IMO. Will he care in his last few years? Will he set up his successor for success or failure? We'll see. If I were forced to make any predictions, and these would be guesses unlike the previous readings of the script, I would speculate two things only:

1. During the next two years the Heat will win another Finals; but not both

2. Somehow, someway before 3 years are out, so by the end of the 2015 season, it will be very clear that the Knicks are on the rise and that their drought will finally be over. At this point I don't see how this can happen but I feel that it will.

This all depends on the benevolence of Stern which is like depending n the politeness of Don Rickles, and that is why I am hesitant on both items.

I actually did not write anything about Boston winning in 2008. I prefer not to call these things predictions as they are more an ability to read the script. Your note above sells me short in a few areas but also gave me credit going back too far. All of what I stated can be verified by going through old threads. A lot of it is in threads dedicated to the NBA/NBA playoffs. I believe it started in a regular season thread and my first relevant post was in roughly February 2009.

In summary:

In roughly Feb 2009 the Celtics had won the Finals the previous year. I stated that the 09 Finals would go to the Lakers over an "upstart" team. I named that team to be either the Hawks or Magic. It turned out to be the Magic. At some point I predicted the series would go 5 games, which it did. I also stated that the Celtics excuse would be an "injury" to a prominent player. Not long later KG got "injured".

Still in that thread I believe, I said that the following year the Lakers/Celtics would be in the Finals and that the Finals would go 7 games. I said that game might even be played as a legitimate basketball game but that it would certainly go 7. I said I slightly favored the Lakers in a game 7 but that the Celtics would be allowed to have a chance. Lakers won in 7.

I followed up by saying that in the 2011 Finals an unusual team would be allowed to win. Again, i did this in 2009. I did a little speculation at the time but most of it was reserved until the field of 16 playoff teams was set in 2011. At that point I named several teams I saw as "eligible" and tried to zero in on a few. It can be easily documented that my top pick, although not by much, was Dallas. THIS WAS LAUGHED AT. I also mentioned Chicago, Denver, the Knicks who were obviously a major long shot, maybe OKC I can't remember but there was someone else too. It would definitely not be C's Lakers or Heat as you pointed out. I also didn't like the Spurs.

The main rationale for me picking Dallas was that Mark Cuban had been quiet for a long period indicating he and Stern had some sort of deal. In addition, Cuban was making guest appearances on ABC's "Shark Tank" cross promoting the NBA on its broadcast network in a way that had to be pleasing to Stern. Do you think Cuban, a major business mogul, enjoyed sitting their as housewives pitched him on ideas like gourmet dog food? I can imagine Stern laughing like crazy at that.

Even back in 2009 the 2012 Finals were easy. It was always going to be LeBron and the coming of age was always going to be in the playoffs. There would be doubts sprinkled in and he would overcome stuff like the game 5 loss to Boston and the Bosh injury. This Finals even 3+ years ago was the easiest to figure out from all of them

To be fair, Stern fooled me on a few. The most prominent was the landing spot for LeBron. I never really saw Miami coming until late in the process. I had guessed that it would be staying in Cleveland, the Knicks, or the Bulls as my top 3. I probably got out of my realm trying to pick that and Stern did a great job with the hero turned anti-hero turned hero again thing.

I am sure I missed a few things in the summary above, but Buftex is right stating I showed the results of four Finals in a row....not 5 though IIRC.

From this point forward I am not really sure what I can offer in terms of the future. I am not sure how much longer Stern will be around and it is really all about him IMO. Will he care in his last few years? Will he set up his successor for success or failure? We'll see. If I were forced to make any predictions, and these would be guesses unlike the previous readings of the script, I would speculate two things only:

1. During the next two years the Heat will win another Finals; but not both

2. Somehow, someway before 3 years are out, so by the end of the 2015 season, it will be very clear that the Knicks are on the rise and that their drought will finally be over. At this point I don't see how this can happen but I feel that it will.

This all depends on the benevolence of Stern which is like depending n the politeness of Don Rickles, and that is why I am hesitant on both items.

You got all this from Howard Stern?