NBA Playoffs thread...

Buftex

i rarely watch. this just seemed a good match up and it turns out it is. but basketball is based on dribbling and passing and not travelling (walking). hell, i doubt the kids in parochial grammar school league get away with it these days. we sure didn't and shouldn't have. it's not really basketball if you can walk around like that with the ball in your hands.

I still enjoy the game, but there was a point (during the MJ era) where it seems the refs were encouraged to put their whistles away, if it meant cancelling out a great athletic play. The one that drives me crazy (and every team gets away with this one) is when a guy is driving to the basket, and at about the foul line, they tuck the ball under their arm, take about three steps and launch themselves in the air...it is almost always a blatent travel, and to make it even more galling, often the call "blokcking" on the defender, when, in my mind, it should be a charge by the ball handler, or a travel at the very least. But peolple want to see guys flying through the air...best way to do that, is to get a running start.

That said, some guys look like they are traveling, and they are not. Some are so good at moving everything, but their feet, to create space, and create their shot.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the "crab dribble"? Aside from the travelling, a lot of the ball-handling moves you see would easily be double dribbles by the book.

The NBA has grown more entertaining over the last few years, but I'll take the college game.

I watch more college, and the NBA just looks kind of different to me. Like they are going at half speed most of the time, and in a very upright position - not crouched down defending (think of Duke teams in the past slapping the floor saying bring it on). Not moving without the ball - just isolating. And, they also don't seem to crash the offensive boards. It seems a shot goes up and there are no offensive players even under the boards........In college, your really wouldn't even shoot unless you had some guys ready to go for the rebound.

I still enjoy the game, but there was a point (during the MJ era) where it seems the refs were encouraged to put their whistles away, if it meant cancelling out a great athletic play. The one that drives me crazy (and every team gets away with this one) is when a guy is driving to the basket, and at about the foul line, they tuck the ball under their arm, take about three steps and launch themselves in the air...it is almost always a blatent travel, and to make it even more galling, often the call "blokcking" on the defender, when, in my mind, it should be a charge by the ball handler, or a travel at the very least. But peolple want to see guys flying through the air...best way to do that, is to get a running start.

That said, some guys look like they are traveling, and they are not. Some are so good at moving everything, but their feet, to create space, and create their shot.

Why do they have that area under the basket where apparently you will never get a charging call, and always a blocking?

I watch more college, and the NBA just looks kind of different to me. Like they are going at half speed most of the time, and in a very upright position - not crouched down defending (think of Duke teams in the past slapping the floor saying bring it on). Not moving without the ball - just isolating. And, they also don't seem to crash the offensive boards. It seems a shot goes up and there are no offensive players even under the boards........In college, your really wouldn't even shoot unless you had some guys ready to go for the rebound.

Why do they have that area under the basket where apparently you will never get a charging call, and always a blocking?

yup, that's the first time i'd seen it (told ya, don't watch the nba much). i can kinda see it...sort of like the strict contact rules on defensive backs in the nfl. but traveling? that's like keeping the current nfl rules for receiver possession on the sideline and blowing off every time a big name guy gets only one foot inbounds. "oh, it's all good. he's selling tickets". don't think that would be ignored in the nfl.

Derek Rose is one of the best at that move. I brought it up before... His move looks like a fullback going to the hoop... :wallbash:

They say people want to see this, I don't know who they are. It seems here that everybody is complaining about not calling the game by the classic rules.

I thought the game last night proved to me that Durant is a better clutch player than King James.

Durant has been doing this all post season. He turns it up in the 4th and its fun to watch.

On the other hand when they showed D. Wade saying that its LB's team now really didn't go down to well with me. It was his team for yrs. Not saying that King James deserves the role but Wade won a title without him.

I still don't see the Heat winning the title yet. Think OKC has the better team and coach right now. I will be surprised if the Heat won but this next game is the biggest one with the next 3 games in miami after that.

Agreed... and it did all start with Jordan. :thumbdown:

Jordan did not respond well to physical play AT ALL, and the Pistons owned him & the Bulls in the late 80's. The late great Chuck Daly wrote an outstanding book called The Jordan Rules, detailing how he wilted when you beat him like the dog that he is(slightly paraphrasing lol). The league did not approve & instituted their own set of Jordan Rules, which remain to this day.:thumbdown:

Derek Rose is one of the best at that move. I brought it up before... His move looks like a fullback going to the hoop... :wallbash:

They say people want to see this, I don't know who they are. It seems here that everybody is complaining about not calling the game by the classic rules.

That's exactly right. I don't know anybody who likes that traveling isn't called. They should change the rules officially and then I don't think we'd hate it.

Doesn't Rondo have a move where he pretends to throw behind his back, then pulls it back over and then goes in for a layup..........That sure seems like traveling to me.

I thought the game last night proved to me that Durant is a better clutch player than King James.

Durant has been doing this all post season. He turns it up in the 4th and its fun to watch.

On the other hand when they showed D. Wade saying that its LB's team now really didn't go down to well with me. It was his team for yrs. Not saying that King James deserves the role but Wade won a title without him.

I still don't see the Heat winning the title yet. Think OKC has the better team and coach right now. I will be surprised if the Heat won but this next game is the biggest one with the next 3 games in miami after that.

Oooooh... It is a 2-3-2 series... YIKES... I think MIA may win this thing... :-(

Agreed... and it did all start with Jordan. :thumbdown:

Jordan did not respond well to physical play AT ALL, and the Pistons owned him & the Bulls in the late 80's. The late great Chuck Daly wrote an outstanding book called The Jordan Rules, detailing how he wilted when you beat him like the dog that he is(slightly paraphrasing lol). The league did not approve & instituted their own set of Jordan Rules, which remain to this day.:thumbdown:

Actually, Sam Smith wrote the book (he's on Tony Kornheiser every week, so that's how I know that). I think Daly's Jordan Rules were how the Pistons referred to the way they were defending him. And, I'm sure Sam got the name from Chuck's name.

Oooooh... It is a 2-3-2 series... YIKES... I think MIA may win this thing... :-(

I'm still not sure who that favors. It seems to me that I'd rather have games 6 & 7 at home...........I heard something like the home team has swept those middle three games only 2-3 times in like 28 years...........I like the NHL style finals best.

Actually, Sam Smith wrote the book (he's on Tony Kornheiser every week, so that's how I know that). I think Daly's Jordan Rules were how the Pistons referred to the way they were defending him. And, I'm sure Sam got the name from Chuck's name.

Thanks, it's been quite a while since I read it. It did indeed go into detail on how to beat Jordan.

That's exactly right. I don't know anybody who likes that traveling isn't called. They should change the rules officially and then I don't think we'd hate it.

Doesn't Rondo have a move where he pretends to throw behind his back, then pulls it back over and then goes in for a layup..........That sure seems like traveling to me.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't...it's what I meant when I said, in an earlier post, what looks like traveling isn't always so....though it is often enough. I am kind of on the fence on this stuff...when I played little league ball, or jr high, even if we could have done the things that the NBA guys do, athletically, the rules would have prevented us from doing it. Personally, I find Rondos fake move pretty awesome...but it does border (or cross the border sometimes) into traveling. It is just funny to me, the arbitrary way they call it. Being a C's fan, I can't notice that they call it on Pierce and Garnett, normally about once a game...and it always comes at a key time in the game...officials seem to really hate Pierce.

This doesn't really fit anywhere, with what we were talking about, but you mentioned Rondo, and I thought of a play from Game 7 that totally cracked me up....Rondo with a completely legal, playground move...only 1.2 seconds on the shot clock...genius!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpCosIQ2Qo

Edited by Buftex

Not just travelling but palming too. MJ got away with both. I think they keep them on the books just so you don't have someone taking it up the court like a running back.

Atleast only people they want doing that doing it!

yup, that's the first time i'd seen it (told ya, don't watch the nba much). i can kinda see it...sort of like the strict contact rules on defensive backs in the nfl. but traveling? that's like keeping the current nfl rules for receiver possession on the sideline and blowing off every time a big name guy gets only one foot inbounds. "oh, it's all good. he's selling tickets". don't think that would be ignored in the nfl.

Nfl stars get the benefit of the doubt too. Revis doesn't Interfere, roddy white doesn't push off, Larry fitz doesn't bobble passes, Tom Brady doesn't ground the ball (wr clearly runs the wrong route, duh).... It goes on, but you gt the idea. Obviously not 100% but certainly more leeway.

Didn't they call Brady for grounding and a safety on the first play of the Super Bowl?

They did. On a very blatant play. I'm also sure James has travelled before. My point was on a close call the refs can use the justification, like the earlier comment, the great ones are so great that they don't have to cheat- they probably did it right.

You can't say colt McCoy gets the same calls Tom Brady does.

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly. I saw Nick Collison take about 3 steps and dunk it a few times yesterday. Never dribbled once. I don't think they're protecting their stars there by giving him the benefit of the doubt.