NBA Playoffs thread...

Buftex

Rondo is the only Celt youth and talent else to hang with heat stars, had game of his life and team still came up short. Paltry 7 pts from celts bench is telling flaw: old starters + lack of depth will be their downfall.

You may be right, but keep in mind, bench players don't traditionally play as well on the road, during the playoffs, for whatever reason. Also, with Rondo taking as many shots as he did, playing the entire game, and making so many, it maked it harder for reserves to get chances. So, that is a little deceiving. Because Rondo was in such a zone, Garnett didn't get the type of shots that he is most effective at. Only so many possessions in a game.

I am not enamroed with the Celtics bench, by any means, but I suspect, on Friday, they will make a better showing, in Boston. Also, not to belabor a point, but the Celtics substitution plan was blown out of the water, almost immediately, by over zealous officials. Greg Steisma, maybe the C's best bench player in the playoffs (in terms of consistence) was whistled 4 times in the games first 6 minutes. All the fouls were of the ticky-tacky (at best) to phantom variety. Rivers had planned on giving Garnett a little more rest early, but KG ended up playing longer than planned, because of Steisma's foul situation.

I am not under the illusion that the Celtics are the better team, or even have a good chance of winning this series...but officiating played a much bigger role in the outcome of that game than it should have. But, that is the way it goes...C's have gotten lucky a few times over the years as well.

Honestly, the Celtics have already made it father than I thought they would...I could say that for every year since they won it all, in 2008. I love the core of this team. Rondo grows every year, and gets better and better...if the result of the C's getting too old is that Rondo gets better, I can live with that. He has developed a jump shot the last 2 months, gotten better at the free-throw line. Having one of the top point guards in the leauge isn't a bad consolation prize!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please ask Buftex and see what he thinks. The plan was described on this site starting in February 2009 and here we are in our 4th NBA playoff season since and somehow everything has come true thus far.

I acknowledge that crayonz has been remarkably accurate with his "predictions"...I also acknowledge, if the Celtics don't win it all, it is all a croc of ****! :lol:

Celtics rebound from Game 2 disappointment, with a great showing at home...even though the Heat made a surge in the 4th qtr, I never had a feeling the Celtics were going to give up their lead. C's may lose, as JSP points out cuz of age and depth issues...but they will never lose because the other team has a mental edge over them...they always respond to a disappointing loss. The Heat looked old and tired tonight! ;)

I follow Andrew Nicholson, Bonaventure star and soon to be first round NBA pick, on twitter. I think he's been talking to crayonz:

Andrew Nicholson ‏@nicholaf44

This is scripted!

I think almost every team, pro and college, are horrible at the end of games. Especially, when the game is tied. They usually dribble down the clock and when things don't go perfectly, as they hardly ever do, they end up turning into a Chinese fire drill and they throw up a horrible shot.

I watch more college and it's bugged me for years, but now I see where they get it from - the pros. The only thing is the pros can throw up garbage sometimes and still have it go in just because they are that good of shooters or in one on one.

Maybe the passage of time has clouded my memory and elevated their status, but I think the top teams of the past like lakers magic, Jordan's bulls, byrds celtics, pistons etc ... would have gotten off a better shot or if something wasn't there at least made a quality attempt to draw a foul. But you're right on the current crews, undisciplined and apathetic at times like this. To me that mostly reflects poor coaching

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Maybe the passage of time has clouded my memory and elevated their status, but I think the top teams of the past like lakers magic, Jordan's bulls, byrds celtics, pistons etc ... would have gotten off a better shot or if something wasn't there at least made a quality attempt to draw a foul. But you're right on the current crews, undisciplined and apathetic at times like this. To me that mostly reflects poor coaching

I think Wade was betting/hoping that Daniels was going to foul him on that last shot...Daniels, wisely, just let him shoot it, with almost no resistance...almost like, "okay, if you want to take the hero shot and win this game, go for it...you can win it with a 3, but you aren't going to beat us on the foul line."

I don't mean to bag on the Miami Heat (because few want them to win, me included), or brag on the Celtics. But, there are teams that normally can come up with plays in those situations, to ensure they will get a quality attempt. Miami is just not one of them...and honestly, I think sometimes, they (LeBron, Wade especially) feel the pressure of the moment, because they listen to the clowns at ESPN too much, instead of just playing the game they way they, obviously, know how. How many times, in the last 5 years, have the Celtics run a pick and roll, only to kick it out to Ray Allen, or Paul Pierce, coming off a screen, for an open shot? It almost always works...they don't always hit the shot, but they almost always get a quality attempt. Like this...bread and butter play:

Miami, as talented as they are, just doesn't seem to have that kind of comfort with eachother.

This series is a little confusing for me. I still feel like Miami will win (younger, stronger, home-court advantage), but then I remember, the Celtics "could have" won game 2 of this series, and they would be up 3-1. Crazy.

btw- JSP, I will concede, you may be right about the Spurs/Thunder series....the Thunder, IMO, have seized control of that one...should be a good game tonight...likely won't get to see all of it...

Edited by Buftex

I think Wade was betting/hoping that Jamison was going to foul him on that last shot...Jamison, wisely, just let him shoot it, with almost no resistance...almost like, "okay, if you want to take the hero shot and win this game, go for it...you can win it with a 3, but you aren't going to beat us on the foul line."

I don't mean to bag on the Miami Heat (because few want them to win, me included), or brag on the Celtics. But, there are teams that normally can come up with plays in those situations, to ensure they will get a quality attempt. Miami is just not one of them...and honestly, I think sometimes, they (LeBron, Wade especially) feel the pressure of the moment, because they listen to the clowns at ESPN too much, instead of just playing the game they way they, obviously, know how. How many times, in the last 5 years, have the Celtics inbounded the pass, run a pick and roll, only to kick it out to Ray Allen, or Paul Pierce, for an open shot? It almost always works...they don't always hit the shot, but they almost always get a quality attempt.

Miami, as talented as they are, just doesn't seem to have that kind of comfort with eachother.

This series is a little confusing for me. I still feel like Miami will win (younger, stronger, home-court advantage), but then I remember, the Celtics "could have" won game 2 of this series, and they would be up 3-1. Crazy.

btw- JSP, I will concede, you may be right about the Spurs/Thunder series....the Thunder, IMO, have seized control of that one...should be a good game tonight...likely won't get to see all of it...

I dont think it was Jamison playing d last night - I don't even think he is on the Celts. I'm pretty sure it was Petrus but what a pump fake from d wade. I agree that Boston could be up 3-1 but they could also just as easily be down 3-1. The whole reason I came to this thread though was for this:

What happened to d wade? This playoffs (and some of last year) he really has turned into a punk. From making fun of Dirk, to the cheap shot/crying in the pacers series, to moping in this series. I have lost so much respect for him as a player. Meanwhile LeBron has earned a ton of respect. He is literally carrying this team ala his Cleveland days. As for the clutch gene convo I think he made 2 great clutch plays last night - the 3 in the last minute to tie and drawing the foul on kg to get a chance to win.

I am enjoying both of these series and I wouldn't be so sure about okc gaining control of that series. It will be crazy if san antonio loses 3 in a row after running off 20 straight esp at home, this series has 7 games written all over it.

I dont think it was Jamison playing d last night - I don't even think he is on the Celts. I'm pretty sure it was Petrus but what a pump fake from d wade. I agree that Boston could be up 3-1 but they could also just as easily be down 3-1. The whole reason I came to this thread though was for this:

What happened to d wade? This playoffs (and some of last year) he really has turned into a punk. From making fun of Dirk, to the cheap shot/crying in the pacers series, to moping in this series. I have lost so much respect for him as a player. Meanwhile LeBron has earned a ton of respect. He is literally carrying this team ala his Cleveland days. As for the clutch gene convo I think he made 2 great clutch plays last night - the 3 in the last minute to tie and drawing the foul on kg to get a chance to win.

I am enjoying both of these series and I wouldn't be so sure about okc gaining control of that series. It will be crazy if san antonio loses 3 in a row after running off 20 straight esp at home, this series has 7 games written all over it.

Sorry, I meant Daniels...Marquis Daniels. Don't know where I got Jamison. :unsure:

As for Wade, I think he is feeling more pressure than LeBron, because, overnight, he went from being "the man" in Miami, to the second option...LeBron has always gotten too much crap... to be fair to Wade, at this point in time, he is more affected by Bosh's abscence than Leron is. Sounds like Bosh will be back for game 5.

Edited by Buftex

Sorry, I meant Daniels...Marquis Daniels. Don't know where I got Jamison. :unsure:

As for Wade, I think he is feeling more pressure than LeBron, because, overnight, he went from being "the man" in Miami, to the second option...LeBron has always gotten too much crap... to be fair to Wade, at this point in time, he is more affected by Bosh's abscence than Leron is. Sounds like Bosh will be back for game 5.

dang guess we were both wrong 0:)

It will be interesting to see what Bosh can do for the heat. He will finally give them an answer for garnett or he will screw up their chemistry. I think the heat have been playing excellent without him but am sure he will be a welcome addition back to the team. The "Heat" is really on for coach spo though. If he can't get it done this year (smart money says even if they beat Boston the okc/sa winner will beat them) I think he's a goner. Phil has been mentioned as wanting back in and Miami would be a natural landing spot for him (team on the cusp needing that final something extra) but I don't know if he could mesh with Riley.

As an aside I am a Lakers fan and was disgusted with myself for rooting that hard for the Celtics last night. I guess my dislike of how the Heat went about being assembled makes me despise them more. (I can't believe I just typed that) :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I dont think it was Jamison playing d last night - I don't even think he is on the Celts. I'm pretty sure it was Petrus but what a pump fake from d wade.

Making a jump shot, much less an NBA three pointer, is so hard to do when your feet have been planted, especially after a pump fake........That might have been an open shot, but there was very little chance of it going in.

I was an excellent outside shooter (the rest of my game, not so much), and I can count on one hand the number of times I made a shot after a fake pass or something.

Of course, NBA players do surprise me more often when they do make them. But from three point land, that is not a good % shot.

Making a jump shot, much less an NBA three pointer, is so hard to do when your feet have been planted, especially after a pump fake........That might have been an open shot, but there was very little chance of it going in.

I was an excellent outside shooter (the rest of my game, not so much), and I can count on one hand the number of times I made a shot after a fake pass or something.

Of course, NBA players do surprise me more often when they do make them. But from three point land, that is not a good % shot.

Pierce made an incredible three-pointer earlier in the game, under much more duress than Wade was under. Mind boggling thing, to me, about Wade's shot, he could have easily moved to the net, and hit a two-pointer to tie it up..."hero shot" is what Doc Rivers calls that.

As cliche as it is, in the NBA, you live by the 3pt shot, you die by the 3pt. The Celtics couldn't miss them in the first half, but in the second, as they started to ware down, they just kept throwing them up, and missing, while Miami chipped away at the Celtics lead. As happy as I am for the win, that is why I don't feel overly confident about the C's pulling this out...not saying it won't happen, but Miami still has a physical edge. And as great as Boston has been shooting the last 3 games, overall, they are just as likely to have one of their brick-heavy games tomorrow night. Rondo really is the key for them, at this point. He has to keep up the great play, and not get too caught up in the verbal sparring. The kid is a tough little ****, but he has a bit of a temper... if he says the wrong thing in front of the wrong ref, he could have a short night. The refs don't want to lose control of this series.

Pierce made an incredible three-pointer earlier in the game, under much more duress than Wade was under. Mind boggling thing, to me, about Wade's shot, he could have easily moved to the net, and hit a two-pointer to tie it up..."hero shot" is what Doc Rivers calls that.

As cliche as it is, in the NBA, you live by the 3pt shot, you die by the 3pt. The Celtics couldn't miss them in the first half, but in the second, as they started to ware down, they just kept throwing them up, and missing, while Miami chipped away at the Celtics lead. As happy as I am for the win, that is why I don't feel overly confident about the C's pulling this out...not saying it won't happen, but Miami still has a physical edge. And as great as Boston has been shooting the last 3 games, overall, they are just as likely to have one of their brick-heavy games tomorrow night. Rondo really is the key for them, at this point. He has to keep up the great play, and not get too caught up in the verbal sparring. The kid is a tough little ****, but he has a bit of a temper... if he says the wrong thing in front of the wrong ref, he could have a short night. The refs don't want to lose control of this series.

Was he flat footed, though? That is just so hard, although I do see NBA players do it. Almost never have I seen college players do it.

I had the game on the radio for the first three quarters as I was driving around...And, they called the Celtics three pointers "fools gold." You know that first half run of them isn't go to last, but you're going to keep heaving them.

Grantland (Bill Simmons' site) breaks down the final play:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/28570/how-did-the-heat-botch-their-final-possession

Had to watch the game tonight, on tape delay...all I can say is: yeah!

Jeez, I love this team...whatever happens the rest of the way, this is the kind of effort I crave from every team I root for...love watching the ESPN idiots spinning their wheels...just goes to show, "nobody knows nothin'"

Edited by Buftex