Breakdown of LTs

I am of the mindset that you draft a playmaker or possible franchise player at 10. I think M.Floyd will and should be that pick as he helps us win games. While we do need a LT, I don't think you need to take one at 10, nor should you unless you see him as a future Probowl Tackle. I cannot confidently say that about any LT prospect, not named Kalil. In Rieff, we don't know if we'd be getting Joe Thomas or Bulaga. I am more confident that Floyd will be a solid playmaker and really help cause some problems for opposing defenses.

All that said to ask you all if anyone has a good breakdown of the Tackles left from rounds 2-5. I think this is what we will do. Remember, if you look at Nix history, he usually doesn't use 1st round picks on OL. In my ideal scenario, there is a LT projected for round 2 that slips to Round 3. That would allow us to take the CB/OLB that they graded as 1st round, but slipped to us in the 2nd ala Aaron Williams, then grabbing our LT in the 3rd. If a LB/CB they like is still around in round 3 after our pick, it's much easier fro us to trade back into that round. It would look like this:

1. M. Floyd

2. CB/OLB

3. LT

3/4. CB/OLB

So I just put a lot of stuff out there....lol. Fellow Bills fans and (not so)professional draft scouts, please feel free to comment and offer commentary on the LTs you'd recommend we look at in rounds 2-5.

Gracias!

PS - I hope to see PTR comment on this as I usually like your posts a lot.

1333676793[/url]' post='2431464']

What are you basing your opinion of "Floyd possibly being a franchise player" on?

I'd assume he's seen Floyd play, looked at his combine and doesn't care about his off the field stuff. Just as I do. I think Floyd can be one helluva WR and eventually be our #1. Sure, there's a chance that he doesn't pan out, just like there's a chance anyone we pick at 10 doesn't pan out.

I also like Michael Floyd. Here is the problem with taking him at #10 though:

1) Our own GM stated that he doesn't think we have a capable starter at left tackle right now. We need a starter for opening day.

2) Left tackle is the hardest position to find on the offensive line, and probably the second hardest position to fill in all of football (after quarterback). Scanning the current NFl depth charts, you will see that more than half (53 percent) of starting left tackles in the league were taken in the first round. A whopping 75 percent were taken before the start of the third round. That's a small window.

3) This particular draft is considered very thin at offensive tackle, but very deep at wide receiver. If we pass on Floyd, we still could likely get a potentially starter like Alshon Jeffery, Marvin McNutt, Juron Criner, Rueben Randle or Mohamed Sanu in the second round. If we pass on Reiff, we are left with almost no options on the left side. Most of the remaining prospects like Zebrie Sanders, Bobbie Massie, Jeff Allen and Mitchell Schwartz are big projects that are better fits as right tackles.

I'm with you.

I don't think Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin are spectacular prospects, and probably grade out more as solid starters.

But with Demetrius Bell gone, I think we've backed ourselves into a corner.

Edited by mjt328

1) Our own GM stated that he doesn't think we have a capable starter at left tackle right now. We need a starter for opening day.

That's funny, I remember him saying something like he feels comfortable with Hairston.

2) Left tackle is the hardest position to find on the offensive line, and probably the second hardest position to fill in all of football (after quarterback). Scanning the current NFl depth charts, you will see that more than half (53 percent) of starting left tackles in the league were taken in the first round. A whopping 75 percent were taken before the start of the third round. That's a small window.

3) This particular draft is considered very thin at offensive tackle, but very deep at wide receiver. If we pass on Floyd, we still could likely get a potentially starter like Alshon Jeffery, Marvin McNutt, Juron Criner, Rueben Randle or Mohamed Sanu in the second round. If we pass on Reiff, we are left with almost no options on the left side. Most of the remaining prospects like Zebrie Sanders, Bobbie Massie, Jeff Allen and Mitchell Schwartz are big projects that are better fits as right tackles.

I'm with you.

I don't think Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin are spectacular prospects, and probably grade out more as solid starters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are lucky Minnesota will trade the third pick to gain choices, and therefore not drafting Kalil. Maybe then we could trade up a couple spots to get him. This isn't very likely but you never know. If Kalil is gone I don't think the other tackles are worthy of a 10th pick. I would take DeCastro, who many scouts say is the best guard prospect in 10 years. Take DeCastro and move Levitre to Left Tackle. That way you aren't reaching. DeCastro is worthy of being drafted 10th.

What do you think?

That's funny, I remember him saying something like he feels comfortable with Hairston.

Think he said something more along the lines of comfortable who we have on our team, not specifically mentioning Hairston. He better make a huge jump in 2nd year, cause looked lost first year. Watched a scouting breakdown tape of him, and it wasnt pretty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are lucky Minnesota will trade the third pick to gain choices, and therefore not drafting Kalil. Maybe then we could trade up a couple spots to get him. This isn't very likely but you never know. If Kalil is gone I don't think the other tackles are worthy of a 10th pick. I would take DeCastro, who many scouts say is the best guard prospect in 10 years. Take DeCastro and move Levitre to Left Tackle. That way you aren't reaching. DeCastro is worthy of being drafted 10th.

What do you think?

Really dude? No, seriously? Nah :thumbdown:

Think he said something more along the lines of comfortable who we have on our team, not specifically mentioning Hairston. He better make a huge jump in 2nd year, cause looked lost first year. Watched a scouting breakdown tape of him, and it wasnt pretty.

Well I'd appreciate if you would link us up with that.

I'm with you.

#1 is a complete fabrication. Please provide a link to video, audio, print, or heiroglyph, that shows Buddy Nix making this statement. All I recall Nix saying is that they would bring in "some tackles" -- which is a no-brainer simply for depth alone.

#2 is pretty funny, considering the Bills found an all-pro LT in an undrafted guy and a competent starter (when healthy) in a 7th round guy. Perhaps the Bills are the exception rather than the rule, but it's interesting.

Edited by eball

I am with you draft Floyd, or another playmaker with the first pick. The reason why I like Floyd is because he has a little attitude (which is needed on this team). Floyd kind of reminds me of Steve Smith.

I also thought about our LT position. There is no LT worthy of the 10th pick in this draft besides Kalil. I don't think we should reach here. Although we might try trading back into the first round if Martin or Adams are still there in the late 20's. I also think there is some talent late like FSU's Datko in the late rounds.

:huh:

Well...I would not expect a 4th Round Rookie with no off-season training, no mini-camps, and an abbreviated training camp due to injury, to come in a look like the next Anthony Munoz...I think considering all that Hairston did pretty well...Was he perfect? No...Can he improve? Of course...But again I pose this question...What OT in this Draft not name Kalil will beat out Chris Hairston for the LT spot in Buffalo? Anyone? B-)

2012 Draft LOT Prospects

After Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin, I think the LOTs won't be going fast till the Third Round.

BTW, Auburn's Brandon Mosley and Iowa's Markus Zecuvics must have had great Pro Days.

That was an excellent link you provided. I didn't look at the Kalil video but closely looked at Reiff and Martin. Both are very athletic and very good at positioning themselves.

There were reports that Nix stated that there were three LTs in this draft who could start right away. In all probability he was referring to Kalil, Reiff and Martin. I'm sure there are other OTs who in time could develop into credible players. But from a standpoint of getting a player on the field quickly I have to go with the three most mentioned players.