DE Anderson on list of 2012's most overpaid signings

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't worth $5 million a year.

Why not? $5 million is not that unusual any more and the Bills can dump him relatively easy next year if he flames out.

More noodlings by nattering nabobs with a publishing deadline...

What if Mario is consistently double teamed and ends up with 8 sacks while Williams and Dareus each get 4-5 and Anderson nets 10-12 while faicng one on one blocking. Who is then over/under paid? This DL is truly a unit. Each part helping the other. If a team is only going to run to one side how long will it take to compensate for that - not more than a quarter. Plus Mario will switch form right to left and occasionally rush from a two point stance up the middle. And lastly who runs the ball in the NFL anymore anyways? Just be competent against the run and don't worry about it. The NFL went from run and stop the run to pressure the passer and protect the passer a long time ago.

Per Evan Silva of Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40242

5. Bills defensive end Mark Anderson

After re-signing Stevie Johnson, the Bills turned all of their attention to upgrading the front seven, and that aggressiveness was honorable. They made Mario Williams the highest paid defender in NFL history, and then followed it up by signing Anderson to be Mario's weak-side bookend. Buffalo had a plan, and it executed. But Anderson was overpaid in the process, and there are likely people in the Bills' organization who would acknowledge as much. He isn't worth $5 million a year.

Anderson is going on age 29. He's been in the league for six seasons, and in just two of them recorded more than five sacks. Anderson is consistently washed out in run defense and is essentially a one-down end. The Bills will give him a chance to be an every-snap player, but it almost certainly won't end well. While Buffalo's team sack total will rise in 2012, offenses will know exactly which front-four member to target on running plays: Mark Anderson.

I still like the signing - even if you gotta rotate Kelsay in for run support - and it weakens the enemy at the same time is strengthens us (lot of Pats* fans were upset at losing him). But Evan does have a great point - we'll find out pretty quick if Anderson's a 3-down player or not, because that's definitely where teams are going to try and run at.

Rest of the article is also a good read.

Its not like have great run support from the LB currently slotted to play behind him either.

Particularly football players in my opinion. A million dollars a game base salary for one player is insanity.

Amen to that. I think some of the best jobs in the world are:

2nd string quarterback in the NFL

7th-13th man off the bench in the NBA

Bench player in MLB

You get paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to watch more games than you participate in.

That being said, nobody knows if Mark Anderson is overpaid. He's not a car. He didn't immediately lose value signing the contract and walking off OBD premises.

Edited by dpberr

Not to mention that with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcel Dareus alongside him, if the Bills paid Mark Anderson a 7 year contract for $1.45 total, teams would know which guy to run at on our defensive line. It's a stupid article with bad conclusions based on ridiculous premise.

This. He's not "the guy" -- He's one of the guys. Considering how dangerous the other three are, and how much attention they will garner, Anderson could silence the critics quite nicely.

Did Demetress Bell make the list?

Nah...He is not playing for the Buffalo Bills, but with the mighty Philadelphia Eagles...It is so awful to hear the pundits describe this as a great signing, when they were crying the past three seasons that the Bills don't have a starting LT.

That is the most truthful thing i have ever read on a sports blog !! Thank you for that !!

Especially when these guys are on a basketball court or a baseball field. I feel bad for the football and hockey players. They give up so much of their body and don't get paid nearly as much as the guys in the shorts and the guys who constantly spit.

Per Evan Silva of Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40242

5. Bills defensive end Mark Anderson

After re-signing Stevie Johnson, the Bills turned all of their attention to upgrading the front seven, and that aggressiveness was honorable. They made Mario Williams the highest paid defender in NFL history, and then followed it up by signing Anderson to be Mario's weak-side bookend. Buffalo had a plan, and it executed. But Anderson was overpaid in the process, and there are likely people in the Bills' organization who would acknowledge as much. He isn't worth $5 million a year.

Anderson is going on age 29. He's been in the league for six seasons, and in just two of them recorded more than five sacks. Anderson is consistently washed out in run defense and is essentially a one-down end. The Bills will give him a chance to be an every-snap player, but it almost certainly won't end well. While Buffalo's team sack total will rise in 2012, offenses will know exactly which front-four member to target on running plays: Mark Anderson.

I still like the signing - even if you gotta rotate Kelsay in for run support - and it weakens the enemy at the same time is strengthens us (lot of Pats* fans were upset at losing him). But Evan does have a great point - we'll find out pretty quick if Anderson's a 3-down player or not, because that's definitely where teams are going to try and run at.

Rest of the article is also a good read.

I find nothing out of line in the article. Buffalo typically overpays for free agents and over the last 10 years it usually ends badly.(Derrick Dockery,Langston Walker,Marcus Stroud,etc.) They overpay for Kelsay and he produces virtually nothing. Heck, it's not my money so who cares what Anderson gets paid. I just think it won't make the Bills significantly better, but it is worth a gamble. The problem I see is the LB's are not strong run defenders. An emphasis on pass rush can leave the defense vulnerable to a running attack. The Bills have not exactly been stout on run defense. (28th out of 32 in 2011 and 32nd in 2010) Clearly, the run defense sucks as bad as the pass rush. There is massive room for improvement, but will it happen? The optimists will say definitely yes because of Mario Williams and Anderson will transform the defense into a powerhouse. The realists might say there are still plenty of holes in this defense and it remains to be seen and proven.

Particularly football players in my opinion. A million dollars a game base salary for one player is insanity.

Amen to that. I think some of the best jobs in the world are:

2nd string quarterback in the NFL

7th-13th man off the bench in the NBA

Bench player in MLB

You get paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to watch more games than you participate in.

That being said, nobody knows if Mark Anderson is overpaid. He's not a car. He didn't immediately lose value signing the contract and walking off OBD premises.

That is the most truthful thing i have ever read on a sports blog !! Thank you for that !!

Wow. I disagree with football players being overpaid.

Baseball and basketball, yes.

Football, no way?

You do know that football players have shorter careers, shorter lives, and more medical problems than athletes who play the other major professional sports?

I find nothing out of line in the article. Buffalo typically overpays for free agents and over the last 10 years it usually ends badly.(Derrick Dockery,Langston Walker,Marcus Stroud,etc.) They overpay for Kelsay and he produces virtually nothing. Heck, it's not my money so who cares what Anderson gets paid. I just think it won't make the Bills significantly better, but it is worth a gamble. The problem I see is the LB's are not strong run defenders. An emphasis on pass rush can leave the defense vulnerable to a running attack. The Bills have not exactly been stout on run defense. (28th out of 32 in 2011 and 32nd in 2010) Clearly, the run defense sucks as bad as the pass rush. There is massive room for improvement, but will it happen? The optimists will say definitely yes because of Mario Williams and Anderson will transform the defense into a powerhouse. The realists might say there are still plenty of holes in this defense and it remains to be seen and proven.

You're in the vast minority with your belief that adding Williams and Anderson to the duo of Williams and Dareus "won't make the Bills significantly better." Considering it's a passing league now, loading up on pass rushers it the way to go. Not to mention it allows the Bills to blitz a LB which can help generate more pressure and stop/disrupt the run. But we'll see how the season plays out.

Saying a free agent is overpaid before you see his impact on the new team is like grading a draft right after it happens. You have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you're talking about, and neither does anybody else until the scenario plays out.

I think Anderson will make the starting lineup as the 4th man on the dreamteam front line, but Wanny will adjust his first and second down rotations based on how he is handling the right tackle on running plays.

He's definitely undersized for a typical 43 DE but he'll still see half the snaps over there this year I'll bet.

Can we start the NFL season already? These inferior sports are killing me man.....