Nick Fairley arrested for marijuana possession

papazoid

I would just like to point out that my issue with the drug is I don't want my children messing with the stuff. I drink but not to excess. You know what the difference is between the two are one is legal and the other will get you arrested. That should be enough of a deterrent.

As an adult you can make your own decision. If you choose to smoke pot its your fault for getting arrested. You know it is illegal and just because you think it should be legal doesn't change the fact that if you get caught there is a consequence.

I have never touched the stuff and I really don't need a bunch of stoners trying to convince my kids that a drug is ok because I say it is.

I'm sure a lot of you people understand that there must be some kids or teens read this message board. Keep this kind of stuff to yourselves.

I smoke cigarettes and i'm an idiot for picking up the habit. I don't go on sport message boards trying to convince others why its ok.

So it's bad because it's illegal & it should be illegal because it's bad. Got it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's bad because it's illegal & it should be illegal because it's bad. Got it.

Well you have to admit that the world is a black and white place.

Let's not get into any complicated nonsense about legal things being bad and illegal things being good.

Just look at the laws… they're exactly the same regardless of where you live.

It’s been a bad week for the Lions.

A day after 2011 second-round draft pick Mikel Leshoure made the wrong kind of headlines for, among other things, allegedly treating “wacky tobacky” like chewing tobacco, 2011 first-round pick Nick Fairley has been arrested for marijuana possession.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/nick-fairley-arrested-for-marijuana-possession/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weed is not worse than someone having a couple of beers. Geesh, so you mean any player that has ever had a beer is bad? Grow up will ya'.

The biggest issue with pot is the crime associated with the profit from illegal sales. The effects on people who use it are negligible, especially when compared to alcohol.

You want to control someone high on pot? Toss them a bag of Doritos and turn on Scooby Doo. Good luck dealing with a 6'5" 270 pound body builder who has a problem with alcohol. You'll have to shoot that !@#$er to get him under control.

The only place marijuana is worse the alcohol is in the miniature minds of man.

Well said, AD.

Opiates and cocaine have been used by humans for 1000s of years too. Should we legalize them to because people like to use them as a form of recreation.

I have zero problem with people that use the drug to manage pain. If you are that bad off you should have any means at your disposal to take care of yourself.

But for the people that just want to use it to get high you get what you get. It is in fact illegal and unless you have been living in a cave all your life as an adult you should know better. Kick back and have a drink that is legal.

As you can see by my number of posts I like to come to this site for some of the best Bills talk around but I don't get involved with posting. I'm going to go back to reading about my favorite team. At this point i'm sure this thread belongs somewhere in the politics forum. As it has nothing to do with football anymore.

Go Bills

Opiates are prescribed by doctors all the time.. Coca leaves are also used as medicine in South America.. You point is nonsense. Anything can be abused.. It shouldn't be criminalized. That creates uh.. criminals.

I know MJ is NOT illegal in California.. In fact I have a prescription and I can go buy as much as I want. I can even grow it in my backyard.. perfectly legal. Maybe you have been living in a cave? You obviously know nothing about marijuana. Maybe you should read up on the subject. It's a lot more useful than just pain management.. I'm done here.. and I'm glad you don't get to make decisions for the rest of us. :angry:

You can't believe that marijuana is any worse than alcohol or tobacco? I would argue that alcohol is much worse.

I would agree with that argument, if we tallied all the drunk driving related deaths, or druken homicides one could make a good argument that alcohol is the more harmful of the two drugs.

Don't get me wrong, I have a fully stocked bar with top shelf supplies. I keep in my father-in-law's good graces with 15 year old scotch, but I am under no delusions that alcohol is not a drug.

My wife and I adopted a baby a few years ago and the of all the recreational drugs an unborn child could be exposed to, alcohol was by far the one that had the most permanent negative effects in the form of fetal-alcohol syndrome. .

I guess I am just saying, as adults we should be allowed to pick our poison as long as we are not hurting anyone else. If someone wants to fill a pipe with Captain Black for a nicotine buzz and for what I think is a terrific aroma and I no one else is forced to breath the second-hand smoke, go for it. On the other hand if someone else wants to fill his pipe with weed for the calming effects, I am not sure in the grand scheme of things how those two things are so different other than some arbitrary laws that were made a long time ago using dubious data.

Too bad for Detroit! That Dline would have been 2nd to only the Bills this year.

As for the pot debate, legalization would be a very good government policy shift, which is why it will never happen. :wallbash:

When I was young, I thought it would but after the last 40 years of watching the government, just have to say it isn't going to happen. Too bad, the US, Mexico and South America would be a whole lot safer with some responsible policies on drugs.

I was reading that one of the problems with legalizing medical marijuana, etc. is that there is no real way to tell if a driver is impaired because it stays in the blood so long.

I don't know how you get around that issue right now.

There would be one hell of an economic recovery if we legalized it and taxed it like cigarettes.

Oh yeah, and then played commercials about people talking out of their stomas. Because its not a parents job to tell their kids what is right and wrong, it's the television.

Opiates are prescribed by doctors all the time.. Coca leaves are also used as medicine in South America.. You point is nonsense. Anything can be abused.. It shouldn't be criminalized. That creates uh.. criminals.

I know MJ is NOT illegal in California.. In fact I have a prescription and I can go buy as much as I want. I can even grow it in my backyard.. perfectly legal. Maybe you have been living in a cave? You obviously know nothing about marijuana. Maybe you should read up on the subject. It's a lot more useful than just pain management.. I'm done here.. and I'm glad you don't get to make decisions for the rest of us. :angry:

This is in fact true, BUT ,and this is a huge point, the US Federal Government still considers MJ illegal. So while your average Joe Smith California policeman won't arrest you, you better believe a DEA or FBI agent is completely within their right to do it. This is why you have Federal Agents raiding dispensaries in CA. But having lived in CA for many years, it is nice to partake in the use of MJ without looking over your shoulder for Police. It just feels much more accepted and yet people are still very productive in CA.

As far as the which is worse look at the effects of quitting MJ vs. Alcohol. Quitting Alcohol cold turkey can in fact kill you you, ie Amy Winehouse. I don't see too many(or any?) people dying over quitting MJ. So I'm not quite sure what the problem is besides the illgality of it.

That's pretty much the "lahjik" currently being used by our politicians, zealots, and alcohol moguls to keep it illegal. Bet Mexico and the US border states are loving the violence that marijuana profit is currently bringing them.

Well, since this is a political discussion:

1. Politically, going forward this issue is a loser for those that support criminalization. Their position is 90% based on emotion, nostalgia, ignorance, or unwillingness to admit its failure. The only thing they have is the argument that says "the #1 root cause of children being put at risk(of everything) is drug abuse, and if drugs are legalized, that creates more risk". Even if that argument is logically sound, I have yet to see any numbers that quantify it. It assumes that drug abuse will increase if they were made legal. Did alcohol abuse increase as a result of the repeal of Prohibition? Nope. If anything, Prohibition stifled the treatment of alcoholics, because nobody wanted to come out and admit they had a problem and the helpers were afraid of the stigma of working with "criminals".

2. That last sentence above is key: drugs, like guns, cars, boats, alcohol and power tools, all require humans to perform poorly for problems to arise. The contrapositive: taking away drugs/booze/cars/power tools NEVER means that a problem person's problems, or their tendency to make bad choices, will magically go away.

3. The notion that kids are driving the illegal drug market is ludicrous. The vast majority of drugs are purchased by adults. Few kids can afford to buy a QP of weed, or an 8 ball, once a month. However, I continue to be a bit shocked by the # of very senior, very educated, very successful men and women I encounter, who can, and do. The kid who chooses to make drugs part of their life, can also choose to do well in school, go to college/trade school, etc. Or, they can choose to be a d-bag.

Ultimately, if one is objective about this: the facts and the numbers do not support the case for criminalization. Neither does history.

The truth is: more often than not drugs are the excuse problem people use to avoid facing their bad choices, or, as a poor replacement for sound problem solving in dealing with what life has dealt them. You don't get "mixed up" in drugs, you choose them. Freedom is good, but a minority of people can't handle it. The minority's failures can't be the cause for the majority to be restricted. It is impossible for the illegal drug trade to be a $4 billion market, and for the majority of illegal drug users to be all be on welfare, criminals, etc. Therefore, the majority of illegal drug users must be able to handle their lives in some fashion.

Now, in Nick Fairely's case: should we blame the weed? Or, after having undoubtedly been trained on what will happen if caught, and also having a year of NFL experience under his belt, should we blame Nick Fairley? Who made the bad choices here? Who can learn from this, and make better ones? I assure you: the weed will just sit there on the table and do nothing.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

This is a rare occasion where my bleeding heart is in agreement with Darin. Hell, even in England, certain jurisdictions found that it was cheaper to put junkies in a halfway house and GIVE them drugs than it was to incarcerate them. The drug laws force our gov't to spend way too much on enforcement, while incentivizing the cartels at the mexican border and the british columbian growers. More lax drug laws would keep more money from escaping our country while encouraging the decreasment of enforcement and prisons. Furthermore, we can tax the hell out of this to reverse the dent the drug trade takes on our gubmint.

Big Buff, cna you please elaborate on your experiences of smoking pot?

As for the personal question: in my opinion, that's irrelevant. If I did smoke pot at some point, how does that change the passion of my opinion? If I didn't smoke pot, how does that alter my belief that marijuana laws should be harsher in NYS?? Neither is pertinent to the discussion. It's also irrelevant if/when I drink alcohol...what we're missing here, is the much larger depth of issue that ranges from marijuana and it's deleterious effects on society and people individually over the course of time and "if" marijuana "can" lead to additional drug use and how the average individual's life is constructed compared to the average marijuana user's life is constructed at the present time....Yes, I know, many people will "experiement" with marijuana at some point in their life, but look at where their life is/was at the time when they were "experimenting" with weed....in college? in high school? during a rough point in their life? under stress or duress?...just food for thought....

And as to the people who attempted to sling pejorative statements toward me for my opinion and make it personal toward me, I have kept this discussion decent toward all and respectful of both sides of the opinion column, and will not sink to your level....all I can say is, we're all entitled to our opinions, and trust me, I knew this would not be a popular one for this board, but it doesn't change my mind in the least and I'm sure I've done nothing to change the mind of those in opposition to my own opinion....the discussion itself has merit and appreciate anyone who disagrees with me but has done so with mutual respect and good communication....

As for legalizing weed and "taxing" it, there's many more levels to that discussion and one that would require a great deal more time, so in this particular topic, I'll just let this post be my last regarding marijuana....will continue to post, I'm not being a silly schoolgirl about running away from the board, I just realize to continue to argue this point is well....pointless and we'll all just go back to our respective corners and continue discussing football and the BILLS!!! Something we can all agree on....BILLS....JUST - GET - BETTER!!! :thumbsup:

The biggest reasons for not decriminalizing drugs; It would put half of law enforcement, legal council, judiciary, and penal system employees out of work.

Oops , forgot about the industry of drug testing and all the court ordered "rehab" centers, manufactures of electronic monitoring ect. ect. the list goes on.The war on drugs has become an industry in this country. That is the real problem.

Wonder which catagory some of our posters fall under?

Edited by JinWPB

pass the Dutchie on the left hand side

It's actually "Pass the Coochie" by the Mighty Diamonds. When Musical Youth covered the song they sanitized it with "Dutchie" which is a cooking pot. Mmmmmm...cooking pot.

My insane conspiracy theory on why the Feds won't make pot legal is because the CIA funds certain black ops with drug sales.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

My insane conspiracy theory on why the Feds won't make pot legal is because the CIA funds certain black ops with drug sales.

PTR

There is nothing insane about this at all. Truth is, the DEA brings in billions every year through siezing drug assets and the drugs themselves (by reselling them). Yet, the DEA still needs to spend taxpayer money to operate. All those profits mysteriously vanish, so it's pretty safe to assume the government is using it for things they'd rather not talk about, and I'm sure DEA agents split up a little pie amongst themselves. Isn't this common knowledge?

PTR

Agreed with you and mountain. It's not insane at all. It's good money, and we all know it is our government's favorite thing. Especially untraceable cash-money!

If you want to take it a step further into actual craziness, I've noticed from the administration changes between Clinton to Bush, and Bush to Obama, that when the Republicans are in power, coke is everywhere and easy to come by. And when the Democrats are in power, weed is everywhere and easy to come by. Of course, both are always pretty easy to find if you know where to look. But there seems to be a surplus of those specific drugs on the streets depending on which party is running the show. It can also be traced back to the 80s, when Reagan/Bush was in power and coke was the drug of choice. Coincidence, maybe. But I have no doubt that "those in power" control the drug trade to some extent. There is simply too much cash involved for them not to be.

Edited by DrDareustein