Nike uniform unveiling discussion

Wayne Cubed

Those spikes/cleats/shoes/whatever look awesome on photo 6 but those arent the ones Wilson was wearing.

The huge "NIKE" on the back of the shoe seems completely unnecessary though. Luckily that shouldn't show up on tv.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The collar isn't a design or marketing gimmick, but a specific technological improvement that requires a solid color on the V portion of the collar. That's why the Bills, as well as about 8 or 9 other teams, now have a revised color-block design on the collar.

Furthermore, while the Bills reverted to royal blue as their primary color, the uniforms unveiled last year are not a "design from the 70s." The sleeve striping, "Bills" on the front, logo on the back, were all modern touches that are a significant change from what was worn in the OJ days. The helmet and pants are very modernized as well.

so..... what does it do?......technologically speaking

I always liked Nike best anyways. Do all players HAVE to wear Nike shoes now? Can't find an answer.

More than likely yes. It's a league mandated uniform. Kinda like when people were fined when they wore different gloves and shoes.

I will say that the way Nike presented the uniforms they kinda' did resemble those Leaked uni's we've been seeing since last year (and brushing off as fake). Not as outlandish though. AT the time those crazy photos were leaked the BIlls still had red helmets.

so..... what does it do?......technologically speaking

Basically it's a kind of stiching that makes the jersey lighter and provides what Nike calls a "lockdown" fit over the shoulder pads of the player.

Little vague on what exactly a lockdown fit is, someone else may be able to help.

No, really:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nike+Flywire+jersey+collar

First news link, TBO.com about the Bucs has a good overview:

Most of the uniform changes relate to the construction and materials used, rather than individual team designs. Included is a "Flywire" collar used in the Nike Pro Combat line by several college football teams.

"Designed and engineered from the inside out, the new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert," Nike claims in press releases announcing the new Elite 51 line.

Not all NFL franchises embraced the new technology. Nine teams chose not to adopt the Flywire collar, which Nike claims provides a "lockdown" seal with shoulder pads, and five teams decided not to use the "uniform system" at all.

I just really want to see what the new jerseys look like when your not wearing pads because I dont know about you guys but I wont be wearing shoulder pads at the ralph while tailgating. I wish the had some photos of just the jersey hanging on a hook or something... Guess we will just have to wait to see them in stores for that!

Basically it's a kind of stiching that makes the jersey lighter and provides what Nike calls a "lockdown" fit over the shoulder pads of the player.

Little vague on what exactly a lockdown fit is, someone else may be able to help.

Lockdown from what Nike and George Wilson have said makes the jersey almost attach itself to the shoulder pads. Making it harder to pull or tug. If it doesn't separate from the pads less likely to see jersey tackles or holds.

I just really want to see what the new jerseys look like when your not wearing pads because I dont know about you guys but I wont be wearing shoulder pads at the ralph while tailgating. I wish the had some photos of just the jersey hanging on a hook or something... Guess we will just have to wait to see them in stores for that!

I would also like to know what a non-tailored replica/authentic jersey will look like. As a fan, I have no need for lockdown collar etc.

found this...

Van Horne notes that Nike uses nine different materials in their uniform, but the Flywire neck takes what traditionally was three or four different fabrics merged together into one bulky, easy-to-grab feature and turns it into a tension system -- similar to what is used in footwear -- to reduce the amount of fabric needed while giving a "lock-down fit" opposing players can't hold onto, as it form-fits the padding.

Brian Urlacher said it will be "harder to get held, which is good since I get held on every play." Along with the uniform's ability to help Urlacher skirt past offensive players, the linebacker praised its ability to ventilate his body and provide added comfort.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/04/03/nike.nfl/index.html#ixzz1r5YyT0X1

I'm with ya - as I mentioned pages ago, I hated the collar on last year's Reebok jersey, it looked like I was wearing a deep V T-shirt. Not a good look in Football :D

Here's a cool interactive overview of all of the tech in the new unis:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-04-03/nike-new-uniform-design/53982596/1

Sorry but your friends are misinformed... not surprising as they work on different product and would NEVER have had visibility to the actual uniforms.

Key ways to spot fake renderings:

• Shoulder stitch motif- was used on 2009 Pro Combat line, now only exists on the most basic high school and college uniforms, not technical enough for NFL... guess we know where the fan got his base image from

• Schutt helmets are never used on official renderings, always Riddell... mostly Revo Speeds.

• Horrible PhotoShop job... look at the field lines going in different directions, weird perspectives, chopped together. You can see where he tried to blend the background, poorly.

Please stop perpetuating a rumor that was proven untrue.

Direct from the NFL PR Guy:

"just to clarify, the artist renderings of NFL uniforms floating around ARE NOT from the league or Nike. stand down"

http://twitter.com/#!/NFLprguy/statuses/5699213849530368

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/19/those-supposed-nike-uniform-sketches-are-fake/

That's what it is.

yah ima still take their word for it as they work there. these are also designers not janitors.

Did anyone point out that the Nike jerseys that you can buy (in 10 days) are up on their site?

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,buffalo_bills

I'm in...

And 808, I have actually seen pre-production renderings of Nike gear and I'm with Blanco_Diablo, it's pretty obvious that these are fakes not put out by Nike.

Thanks so much for that, I hadn't seen that. definitely helps to see it this way instead of all the pics with the pads!! I think they look better then I expected actually when you look at them like this, but maybe thats just me.

I always liked Nike best anyways. Do all players HAVE to wear Nike shoes now? Can't find an answer.

Footwear is athlete specific. Out of approx. 1700 guys in the league...1400 have Nike contracts. Some UA, Addi, etc.

And 808, I have actually seen pre-production renderings of Nike gear and I'm with Blanco_Diablo, it's pretty obvious that these are fakes not put out by Nike.

The fan definitely used this Va Tech pro image from 2009 to create his faux looks:

http://www.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Virginia-Tech-Nike-Pro-Combat-Uniform.jpg

Pretty obvious that the blur tool was used on the sleeve to get rid of the gradient stripe.

This fake version still has the Va Tech glove band on it:

http://cdn.jockpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Saints-440x390.png

Some tidbits about 3rd jerseys....from uniwatch.com

1- NYG have a red 3rd jersey w/pic

2- Jax, Balt, Car &...ahem...Wash have black alternates

3- Rams no longer have gold pants, just 4 different blue/white top/bottom combos.

4. Miami's road white tops have 2-tone collar...UGLY w/pic

5. More alternates to be shown at draft.

6. Don't think Buffalo has alternate jersey in 2012.