If Fitz doesn't improve

No where did I ever say I want a rookie to start over Fitz. I've said in many different posts and threads that I want a rookie to sit behind Fitz at least a year if not more. If we draft Tannehill, Cousins, Coleman or whoever they need to be groomed behind Fitz who the Bills know he isn't the final solution due to his year to year contract status.

How is Fitz's contract status year to year? He just got a long extension last season. It's not like he's playing out a series of 1 year deals.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so funny. The fans that love fitz call the fans that don't like Fitz "supposed fans". They aren't fans because they don't think our current qb can lead us to the SB we desperately crave. I just like to stand outside and look in. Getting involved in this type of Thread (which originally started out asking us what our options are, if fitz doesn't improve) has headache written all over it.

:huh:

Have you ever seen Luck play? He's high rated for a reason...You know that right? A completion % over 70% for 2 College Seasons Andrew Luck...A Kid with similar athletic ability to Cam Newton...that Andrew Luck...One of the most cerebral QB's to come out of College since Peyton Manning...And comparing Luck to Ryan Leaf in any way...are you kidding me?

You do understand the comparison is pre-draft Andrew Luck to pre-draft Ryan Leaf, right? Before the 1998 draft, many smart people considered it a toss-up/pick'em between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf, some even feeling Leaf had more potential. Well, he got to the NFL and proved (and continues) to be a complete dumpster fire.

So, it's easy to look back now and say "ridiculous!" But the comparison isn't that ridiculous. No, I'm not saying Luck wouldn't be an improvement over Fitz. I'm saying Luck hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL, and despite all the best analytics in the world, the future is not always crystal-clear.

Edited by jimmyo

Its all about "fit" and team. Saying that Fitz cannot be the guy is insane. He does what we are trying to do really well. I find it comical that people who so obviously have no sense of what it actually takes to play the position talk like Steve Young or Trent Dilfer about quarterbacks. 1 player can only be as good as the 10 others around him. This isn't the NBA where you can 1 great player and fight for a title. This is game that takes all 53 on the roster to win. We have a guy who can play the game the way Chan wants it played, and since he is the HC he gets to determine how the Bills play. I'm pretty certain the Luck will be a great player in the NFL as long as he is in the right situation. Suppose he comes into the League and the Colts struggle for the first 3 years, never winning more than 6 or 7 games. First they fire an OC in his 2nd season, then the entire staff after his third. Say his D is no good and he has to outscore everybody but he has a poor Oline because they've been trying to fix the D in the Draft. Then his 2 of his top 3 Wrs go down...Etc Etc Etc. My point is that if Luck comes into a bad situation, then he is destine to fail. Like Gabbert in Jax. (I realize the potential is totally different) With Del Rio being fired in his first season, that is a bad situation. It happened to Losman and Edwards here in Buffalo. He happened to plenty of players. We have a guy that is producing. We'll be fine. We need to ride it out.

Fitz "fits" ? for this team? He's a career backup who many of you want to give shot after shot. This is probably the same crowd that wanted to give Edwards shot after shot.

The bottom line is Fitz is average.....This is his make or break year and he should be banished from the land if he starts throwing those girly armed INT's again. Cincy Kid and Fear the Beard obviously billieve a lil too much in this guy.

Fitz "fits" ? for this team? He's a career backup who many of you want to give shot after shot. This is probably the same crowd that wanted to give Edwards shot after shot.

The bottom line is Fitz is average.....This is his make or break year and he should be banished from the land if he starts throwing those girly armed INT's again. Cincy Kid and Fear the Beard obviously billieve a lil too much in this guy.

Shot after shot ... he's entering his second year as the undisputed starter.

Average ... 3,900 yards with 24 TDs is an average year I will take any day from a starting QB.

I'm not saying Fitz is in the same league as Brady, E. Manning or Aaron Rodgers, by any means. But this notion of "probation" is ridiculous. He put up great numbers on a team that had the worse defense in the league and that was decimated by injury at the WR position. A simply "average" QB doesn't do that.

The guy played 16 games last year (and I don't want to hear the "that's only because Chan didn't trust Thigpen" crap) half of those games with bum ribs ... all of those games with no defense ... most of those games trying to overcome huge deficits from the mid-first-quarter of the game.

To put up those kinds of numbers, to me, is anything BUT "average."

Peace. Go Bills!

I think Fitz is a lot better than we give him credit for. I'd put in him in the 10-15 slot for Qb's which isnt bad. We could do a lot worse

After seven weeks last year I don't recall anyone calling for Fitz to sit. Then he had his ribs cracked and started throwing to guys off the practice squad.

After seven weeks last year I don't recall anyone calling for Fitz to sit. Then he had his ribs cracked and started throwing to guys off the practice squad.

That is simply not true.

He was also throwing to the #2 RB and #3 QB. With a #3? #4? C/#2OT snapping him the ball.

What makes you think that Luck in buffalo would be better than Fitz anyway? Becuase he is "rated high" coming out of college. So was Ryan Leaf. Its about getting the right fit. Not a huge name.

Then why are the colts not on the phone calling is offering us the #1 pick for Fitz and the number 10 pick? I will tell you why...because Fitz has never had a good full season, is massively turn over prone, makes too many bad decisions, and has yet have a winning season ever.

There isn't a GM in football that would take Fitz over Luck, and you won't even be able to make that trade in Madden lol...Luck is a SUBSTANTIALY better prospect than Fitz.

And what has Fitz done as this so called "right fit"? Only lead the league in INT's and was 9th last year (despite playing only 13 games) an led us to losing seasons just like he has done every year he has been in the league. So why is Fitz such a "right fit" over an sensational QB prospect like Luck?

So sick of people boasting how Fitz is the "right fit" as if MORE talented QB's somehow won't be the "right fit".

Edited by Alphadawg7

Average ... 3,900 yards with 24 TDs is an average year I will take any day from a starting QB.

I'm not saying Fitz is in the same league as Brady, E. Manning or Aaron Rodgers, by any means. But this notion of "probation" is ridiculous. He put up great numbers on a team that had the worse defense in the league and that was decimated by injury at the WR position. A simply "average" QB doesn't do that.

The guy played 16 games last year (and I don't want to hear the "that's only because Chan didn't trust Thigpen" crap) half of those games with bum ribs ... all of those games with no defense ... most of those games trying to overcome huge deficits from the mid-first-quarter of the game.

Peace. Go Bills!

SO you are saying Fitz is above average, but below great and as such should not be questioned? What makes him "anything BUT average"? Is it his accuracy, arm strength. league leading interceptions or his willingness/necessity to play hurt?

We all know injuries are not excuses, just facts. Well, if it wasn't for the "facts" the Bills would of surely made the playoffs last season...right? I wonder about the fact that the HC seemed somehow unaware of the injury to fitz. IF HC knew, his playcalling comes into question... We can question the HC or is he also anything but average??

The two main problems...err..I mean facts were too many players hurt and insufficient depth to cover those losses. We'll see how much they can minimize those issues this year.

Oh and Kelly the Dog... if the chances to "make or break a season" are eternal then what's the point.

Edited by kidprison

Not even remotely true...there were lots of people still questioning him as our starter and so many that were pissed about his extension so early in the season

Peace. Go Bills!

We have had this convo in the shoutbox before. IMO fitz is bottom tier. I hope I am wrong, all qb's went crazy offensively the first few weeks last year. I am glad somepeople are real fans and support whatever QB we throw back there. IMO better qb's are everywhere, I don't wanna settle for this ragged-arm qb/Edwards replacement.

Not even remotely true...there were lots of people still questioning him as our starter and so many that were pissed about his extension so early in the season

Reading comprehension. It's a wonderful thing.

Reading comprehension. It's a wonderful thing.

Huh? This doesn't even make sense. You said there wasn't anyone calling for Fitz to sit...I said you were wrong, there were people saying Fitz isn't our answer even before the broken ribs. Maybe they were not calling for Pigpen because he is clearly a worse option, but they were calling for an upgrade.

He played wonderfully for the first seven games, lets hope we get that for a full season. :)