If Fitz doesn't improve

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic of how fitzpatrick "fits" chans scheme I believe to be interesting. Chan devised much of his offense to fit the players we have. Everyone on our roster "fits chans scheme". If we had different players, chans scheme would be based on their talents.

He played wonderfully for the first seven games, lets hope we get that for a full season. :)

I don't think Fitz's play dropped off as much as defenses figured out Gaileys gameplan and Gailey did not respond, as well as injuries (particularly FredEx).

I would rate Fitz's arm as below average (mainly due to mechanical flaws in his throwing motion), but everything else average to above average.

I expect Fitz to be the same this coming season as he has always been. The difference in the offensive result rests with how the running game can take some of the pressure off of the passing game, and Gailey adapting the entire season and not forcing an offensive scheme that has been solved by defensive coordinators.

In short, I think this season is considerably more "make or break" for Gailey than it is for Fitz. Fitz is what he is, he is a well known quantity by this time in his career. It's time to see the heralded offensive genius in Chan Gailey come out. I think Nix is showing us the baby, now its time for Gailey to do the same.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You do understand the comparison is pre-draft Andrew Luck to pre-draft Ryan Leaf, right? Before the 1998 draft, many smart people considered it a toss-up/pick'em between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf, some even feeling Leaf had more potential. Well, he got to the NFL and proved (and continues) to be a complete dumpster fire.

So, it's easy to look back now and say "ridiculous!" But the comparison isn't that ridiculous. No, I'm not saying Luck wouldn't be an improvement over Fitz. I'm saying Luck hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL, and despite all the best analytics in the world, the future is not always crystal-clear.

I think you underestimate the level of Prospect and human that is Andrew Luck...

I was around for Manning/Leaf....What you are talking about is little more than rumor and innuendo...Most thought Manning was clearly the better Prospect...And certainly the more cerebral one...The truth is there may have been one or two teams, or one or two Scouts, that felt Leaf was equal to Manning...But they were in the clear minority...The Colts lost no sleep over that selection...Polian is on record about it...And the rumors were already out there about Leaf at the time...There were definite warning signs...

There is no comparison between the way Teams felt about Leaf in comparison to Luck today...It's not even close...It certainly is ridiculous...To me at least it is...Think whatever you wish for yourself...It's a free world... B-)

I don't think Fitz's play dropped off as much as defenses figured out Gaileys gameplan and Gailey did not respond, as well as injuries (particularly FredEx).

I would rate Fitz's arm as below average (mainly due to mechanical flaws in his throwing motion), but everything else average to above average.

I expect Fitz to be the same this coming season as he has always been. The difference in the offensive result rests with how the running game can take some of the pressure off of the passing game, and Gailey adapting the entire season and not forcing an offensive scheme that has been solved by defensive coordinators.

In short, I think this season is considerably more "make or break" for Gailey than it is for Fitz. Fitz is what he is, he is a well known quantity by this time in his career. It's time to see the heralded offensive genius in Chan Gailey come out. I think Nix is showing us the baby, now its time for Gailey to do the same.

Gailey will need to prove he can run an offense not based and focused on the spread. He has built his offensive philosophy around Fitz. Fitz is the guy for this year and most likely next year, win or lose. Gailey is way too deep in this to consider another Quarterback unless Fitz goes down big time.Myself I would rather have Gailey strictly as the OC. Sometimes his game plan and clock management were superb (just ask the hoody). Other times he seemed out of sync when the run game could have kept us going, he had us throwing, and sometimes very poorly. I could never figure out what he was trying to prove.

Recall that the teams that now possess elite quarterbacks Drew Brees and Peyton Manning did so without drafting them.

already said that in opening post.

How is Fitz's contract status year to year? He just got a long extension last season. It's not like he's playing out a series of 1 year deals.

Yes he is, the Bills can terminate his contract at the end of every year without penalty.

No where did I ever say I want a rookie to start over Fitz. I've said in many different posts and threads that I want a rookie to sit behind Fitz at least a year if not more. If we draft Tannehill, Cousins, Coleman or whoever they need to be groomed behind Fitz who the Bills know he isn't the final solution due to his year to year contract status.

Like I said, its incredibly difficult to find that one franchise guy. You did make the statement below which you led me to think that simply changing the QB will fix the offense.

It's a lot easier to get one player to improve the team versus improving everyone else around Fitz. One pass doesn't make up foe all the knuckle balls he throws cuz his arm isn't strong enough.

What you fail to realize is that the normal progression for any rookie QB is a 3-4 year development period. That statement is providing the said QB gets drafted by a decent team that will allow him to develop properly. Not every QB drafted is a Dan Marino- Big Ben, and make an instant impact right out of the gate.

QB's like Joe Flacco (2008)and Mark Sanchez (2009) went to already good teams when they were drafted. Both those teams had a top defense, a top O line, good cast of WR's & TE's. Both teams had great running attacks and won because of defense and that running game, not because of the QB per se. Now both teams want the QB to throw more and win games for them. More specifically they want their QB's to lead them to a SB and win it. After all, that allotted progression period has been taken up. You could even throw Atlanta QB Matt Ryan into this, drafted in 2008.

Question: Do the Bills currently possess the type of offenses that the Ravens-Falcons or Jets have? O line, WR corps, TE?

IMHO the Bills currently have a QB as good as Sanchez, Flacco, and Matt Ryan. Fitz has been able to get more out of less then all 3 of those QB's the last two years. The Bills currently have the RB's as good if not better then all 3 of those teams.

The Bills need to build a better line, I can't state this emphatically enough. Fitz needs better protection that will enable him to throw those deep patterns and passing plays that require time to develop. The Bills need to get some better WR's, get a TE that can stay healthy and can make big plays.

We Bills fans honestly don't know if Fitz is good enough to win a SB as he has had to deal with sub par talent all around him and yet managed play pretty good despite that lack of talent. Like Mr Ralph Wilson said, lets get him some runners, some WR's, a TE that can stay healthy. ( I'm thinking Mr Wilson meant get him some linemen instead of runners, or perhaps that statement was made after Fred Jackson went on IR)

P.S. While I'm in agreement with you BB that the Bills need a developmental QB on the roster, and that Tannehill could very well develop into a top franchise QB someday. Forsaking that #10 pick for a guy who might ride the bench a year or two vs an impact player that could immediately help this team win now......hrmmm decisions, decisions! He could very well develop into a top NFL QB...but then perhaps he might not. I think that drafting a QB in the 1st round would only make the fan base go crazy to replace Fitz every time he throws a bad pass. If replaced on this team any rookie QB would then be subjected to the very same progressions that destroyed JP Losman & Trent Edwards.

I think you underestimate the level of Prospect and human that is Andrew Luck...

I was around for Manning/Leaf....What you are talking about is little more than rumor and innuendo...Most thought Manning was clearly the better Prospect...And certainly the more cerebral one...The truth is there may have been one or two teams, or one or two Scouts, that felt Leaf was equal to Manning...But they were in the clear minority...The Colts lost no sleep over that selection...Polian is on record about it...And the rumors were already out there about Leaf at the time...There were definite warning signs...

There is no comparison between the way Teams felt about Leaf in comparison to Luck today...It's not even close...It certainly is ridiculous...To me at least it is...Think whatever you wish for yourself...It's a free world... B-)

Rumor and innuendo?...Really?...A quick Google news search for the first four months of 1998 reveals lots and lots of rumor and innuendo...

"Leaf and Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning are undoubtedly the class of this year's draft."

""I think the consensus of opinion is that two guys like (Manning and Leaf) don't come along very often," Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard said."

Good lord, the parallels to this year's draft are stunning... San Diego traded up to #2 from #3 (yes, number THREE) to ensure they got either Manning or Leaf...

Now again, it's not that I think Luck (or RG3) will be busts, or that Fitz will lead us to the promised land...But you can't shoehorn the story of Leaf/Manning 14 years later into some revisionist argument that Luck is a surefire bet for Canton and everybody knew Leaf would be a bust and so Fitz should die homeless and penniless and 20 pounds overweight and that nobody will ever love him...But it is a free world, so I will go ahead and take you up on that offer to think whatever I wish... :thumbsup:

Edited by jimmyo

already said that in opening post.

Yes he is, the Bills can terminate his contract at the end of every year without penalty.

Except for the cap hit. You can say that about pretty much every player in the NFL then by that logic. Since contracts aren't guaranteed any team can cut anyone at any point with no issue except a cap hit. If they planned to cut him on their whim they wouldn't have given him all those years with all that money.

Its a real shame that after all these years, we find a guy at QB who has enough tools to take us somewhere and people who supposed "fans" of the team want to run him out of town. Look, people, Jim Kelly ain't coming out that tunnel. Do you know how many teams are replacing Hall of Fame Qb's with Hall of Fame Qb's?

Not many. Its not like you just go pick one up. There are so many factors into finding a guy for your team. Just because John Elway worked out in Denver doesn't mean he would have in Baltimore, or if Marino had ended up in Oakland. There are lots of guys who come out of college with "all the tools" to succeed. It takes more than tools and attitudes. Its a team game. Kelly doesn't put up crazy numbers in Buffalo if we don't have Reed, Thomas, crazy good OLine, outstanding defense, etc.

But, yeah, let's all crap on the one guy who finally has made the Bills respectable since 2003. I'm right on board. :wallbash:

Obviously you are a big Fitz guy and good for you. He is NOT the answer at QB. To have given him such a huge contract during the season was totally ridiculous as well. The Bills are always taking other teams' castoffs hoping they will pan out for them. Fitz is serviceable and a real cool guy but franchise QB? No.

Obviously you are a big Fitz guy and good for you. He is NOT the answer at QB. To have given him such a huge contract during the season was totally ridiculous as well. The Bills are always taking other teams' castoffs hoping they will pan out for them. Fitz is serviceable and a real cool guy but franchise QB? No.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to ask), but isn't Fitz' new contract pretty middle-of-the-road for a starting QB in the NFL -- like, say, around top 15 money or something like that?

He was certainly playing at a top 15 level through half the season, before injuries (his own and those around him) began to take their toll.

I noticed a physical change in the way Fitz played after "the hit", his throws weren't nearly as accurate.

I agree that it's more make or break for Chan. Fitz will have a job in the NFL even if he doesn't perform like a SUPERSTAR that we are all demanding. If the Bills don't have a winning record this season, I'd expect Chan to be fired.

Edited by Dorkington

Its a real shame that after all these years, we find a guy at QB who has enough tools to take us somewhere and people who supposed "fans" of the team want to run him out of town. Look, people, Jim Kelly ain't coming out that tunnel. Do you know how many teams are replacing Hall of Fame Qb's with Hall of Fame Qb's?

Not many. Its not like you just go pick one up. There are so many factors into finding a guy for your team. Just because John Elway worked out in Denver doesn't mean he would have in Baltimore, or if Marino had ended up in Oakland. There are lots of guys who come out of college with "all the tools" to succeed. It takes more than tools and attitudes. Its a team game. Kelly doesn't put up crazy numbers in Buffalo if we don't have Reed, Thomas, crazy good OLine, outstanding defense, etc.

But, yeah, let's all crap on the one guy who finally has made the Bills respectable since 2003. I'm right on board. :wallbash:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment about QB's and where they end up. I've said this many times before - how many QB's that failed would've succeeded in different systems? Or vice versa? Nevertheless, some QB's are so good they can succeed in most systems, and I think it is time we began investing in a young QB or two.

Sure, our team in Buffalo needs to get a lot better. But, Buddy didn't intend on putting the finishing touches to a Super Bowl contender in year three. He saw the talent level of the team, and the types of players here and decided to change it pretty much through and through. He went bigger - and I'm glad about that. I think he's done an excellent job of putting together a roster of big, capable guys - look at the O-linemen he's brought in off the waiver wire, for instance. These guys aren't bad - as one poster here suggested. They're pretty good.

I just think Buddy has a vision of what the team can be, and I think he's going to put the QB in place last. I think Fitz - with his contract as it is - is here to get us turned around, and if he proves to be better than we thought, he can finish a modest contract. But, if he keeps on being inconsistent, then by next year, if we draft another O-lineman or two, and another WR, we should have a pretty good offense to insert a young QB into.

My biggest concern about this offense isn't who Buddy has been getting to play, it's whether or not Fitz can be consistently good, whether or not we have a QB on the roster to supplant him if he can't, and whether or not Gailey can utilize the talent he has, instead of trying to make the team play out a theoretical system that doesn't exactly work to their strengths.

As for that QB - I don't think we need to necessarily get him in the first round. Sure, Cam Newton would have fit Gailey's system to a T, but there are other guys who can fulfill his wishes that are maybe just a little more raw, or a little less physically talented. It's up to Buddy to bring in the right guys. That, to me, will really be the deciding factor with how well Buddy will be remembered here. He needs to find the next franchise QB for the Buffalo Bills, and he has to do it soon.

1333393937[/url]' post='2428373']

Like I said, its incredibly difficult to find that one franchise guy. You did make the statement below which you led me to think that simply changing the QB will fix the offense.

What you fail to realize is that the normal progression for any rookie QB is a 3-4 year development period. That statement is providing the said QB gets drafted by a decent team that will allow him to develop properly. Not every QB drafted is a Dan Marino- Big Ben, and make an instant impact right out of the gate.

QB's like Joe Flacco (2008)and Mark Sanchez (2009) went to already good teams when they were drafted. Both those teams had a top defense, a top O line, good cast of WR's & TE's. Both teams had great running attacks and won because of defense and that running game, not because of the QB per se. Now both teams want the QB to throw more and win games for them. More specifically they want their QB's to lead them to a SB and win it. After all, that allotted progression period has been taken up. You could even throw Atlanta QB Matt Ryan into this, drafted in 2008.

Question: Do the Bills currently possess the type of offenses that the Ravens-Falcons or Jets have? O line, WR corps, TE?

IMHO the Bills currently have a QB as good as Sanchez, Flacco, and Matt Ryan. Fitz has been able to get more out of less then all 3 of those QB's the last two years. The Bills currently have the RB's as good if not better then all 3 of those teams.

The Bills need to build a better line, I can't state this emphatically enough. Fitz needs better protection that will enable him to throw those deep patterns and passing plays that require time to develop. The Bills need to get some better WR's, get a TE that can stay healthy and can make big plays.

We Bills fans honestly don't know if Fitz is good enough to win a SB as he has had to deal with sub par talent all around him and yet managed play pretty good despite that lack of talent. Like Mr Ralph Wilson said, lets get him some runners, some WR's, a TE that can stay healthy. ( I'm thinking Mr Wilson meant get him some linemen instead of runners, or perhaps that statement was made after Fred Jackson went on IR)

P.S. While I'm in agreement with you BB that the Bills need a developmental QB on the roster, and that Tannehill could very well develop into a top franchise QB someday. Forsaking that #10 pick for a guy who might ride the bench a year or two vs an impact player that could immediately help this team win now......hrmmm decisions, decisions! He could very well develop into a top NFL QB...but then perhaps he might not. I think that drafting a QB in the 1st round would only make the fan base go crazy to replace Fitz every time he throws a bad pass. If replaced on this team any rookie QB would then be subjected to the very same progressions that destroyed JP Losman & Trent Edwards.

This is regarding your bolded statement regarding fitz having done more with less than Sanchez, flacco and Ryan. First off, you're correct about Sanchez, he's not a franchise qb (IMO anyway). Regarding Ryan, sure he's done more with less, what do you mean? Do you mean he's done more than Ryan and he's done so with less talent around him? I don't get it. He hasn't done more than Ryan. Statiscally the only thing he's done better is throwing interceptions. He hasn't won more games, thrown for more yards, completed a better % or thrown for tds in the last 2 years combined. The same can almost be said for flacco, but fitz has 2 more tds.

The case may be that fitz has less talent around him, so he's literally done more with less because Ryan and flacco have more. That makes it impossible for Ryan or flacco to do more with less, because they don't have less. According to this logic, Curtis painter did more with less than ryan and flacco too, because he has less. Saying fitz did more with less than ryan is like saying Joe flacco did more with less than Aaron Rodgers and drew brees.

Passing stats are also a result of how good or bad your defense is. Tom Brady didn't have to throw for 5000 yards when he had a good defense. If you're up 24-3 to start the 4th qtr, a qb is unlikely to let it rip for the next 12 minutes. If you're down 28-17 the qb is likely to throw all quarter, hence more yards and tds. Last year, we threw all game because we were constantly getting scored on. If our defense had been as good as baltimores or even atlantas, fitz would've had less yards because he would'nt have been in a position to fling it as often. It's true.

Comparing passing yards and tds aren't a very good indication of how good a qb is IMO. A teams scheme and defense can influence those stats greatly.

You like fitz and you think he's a good qb. Good for you. I like fitz and think he's an average qb. Id take Matt ryan every day of the week over fitz. I don't think flacco is very good, but I'd take him over fitz everyday of the week as well.

Myself I would rather have Gailey strictly as the OC. Sometimes his game plan and clock management were superb (just ask the hoody). Other times he seemed out of sync when the run game could have kept us going, he had us throwing, and sometimes very poorly. I could never figure out what he was trying to prove.

I dunno about superb. :rolleyes:

Although, it was good enough to steal a win from the minute-men.

This is regarding your bolded statement regarding fitz having done more with less than Sanchez, flacco and Ryan. First off, you're correct about Sanchez, he's not a franchise qb (IMO anyway). Regarding Ryan, sure he's done more with less, what do you mean? Do you mean he's done more than Ryan and he's done so with less talent around him? I don't get it. He hasn't done more than Ryan. Statiscally the only thing he's done better is throwing interceptions. He hasn't won more games, thrown for more yards, completed a better % or thrown for tds in the last 2 years combined. The same can almost be said for flacco, but fitz has 2 more tds.

The case may be that fitz has less talent around him, so he's literally done more with less because Ryan and flacco have more. That makes it impossible for Ryan or flacco to do more with less, because they don't have less. According to this logic, Curtis painter did more with less than ryan and flacco too, because he has less. Saying fitz did more with less than ryan is like saying Joe flacco did more with less than Aaron Rodgers and drew brees.

Passing stats are also a result of how good or bad your defense is. Tom Brady didn't have to throw for 5000 yards when he had a good defense. If you're up 24-3 to start the 4th qtr, a qb is unlikely to let it rip for the next 12 minutes. If you're down 28-17 the qb is likely to throw all quarter, hence more yards and tds. Last year, we threw all game because we were constantly getting scored on. If our defense had been as good as baltimores or even atlantas, fitz would've had less yards because he would'nt have been in a position to fling it as often. It's true.

Comparing passing yards and tds aren't a very good indication of how good a qb is IMO. A teams scheme and defense can influence those stats greatly.

You like fitz and you think he's a good qb. Good for you. I like fitz and think he's an average qb. Id take Matt ryan every day of the week over fitz. I don't think flacco is very good, but I'd take him over fitz everyday of the week as well.

Comparing the stats between the 4 QB's is kind of pointless considering the difference in those 3 other teams

Consider the talent around all 4 QB's, then tell me that any of those 3 could have done better in Buffalo then Fitz did these past two years. Think more in terms of exactly what Fitz has had to deal with vs those 3 other teams loaded with offensive talent.

A Bills defense so bad it set a record for worst in franchise history in 2010 and wasn't much better last season.... which means opposing teams usually get the lead and then they can blitz the hell outta the QB. I highly doubt stone legged Flacco could even survive a game behind this current Bill O line, and Ryan / Sanchez aren't known for their scrambling ability either.

Understand that the Bills O line in 2010 was so bad that Fitz was on par with Michael Vick in yards per carry, basically running for his life most every other play. The pocket lasted about 2 seconds and he rarely had time to step up in the pocket which is the typical norm for most QB's to complete passes. 2011 it got somewhat better until Wood went on IR, then the crap hit the fan again.

Bills team, ONE freaking decent WR that drops a lot of passes in Stevie Johnson. the Bills #2 WR on the roster most of the this year was the back up QB in Brad Smith. exactly how do you compare that to (Anquan Boldin-Torey Smith / TE Ed Dickson) (Santonio Holms / Plaxico Burris / TE Dustin Keller)-(Roddy White / Julio Jones /TE Anthony Gonzalaz)

Do I really need to go over the offensive lines, the different offensive schemes, the coaching?

The Bills might have looked good in the first 5 games last year, but they were masking the limited offense set up by Chan Gailey with that short quick passing scheme that eventually was figured out and shut down by most good defenses the Bills faced in the second half of last year.

I still contend that if you put Fitz on any of those 3 other teams he could have played as good, if not better then those other QB's. I also still contend the current Bills offense needs some major upgrades in order to improve and be completely comparable to the Ravens-Falcons-Jets

Edited by Fear the Beard

I can only hope this to be true, but judging from all the Fitz haters should the Bills have a bad year in 2012 I'm thinking the fans ...plus Nix / Gailey will blame it all on the QB. Fitz is already getting thrown under the bus because "HE" doesn't win more games. Too many fans only think in terms of the QB. This team will then draft a QB next year. Should that happen and should this regime not make improvements to the line and receiving corps the world will finally see that it wasn't Fitz.

I disagree with the comment about Fitz's arm being below average. Think about how much time it takes for Fitz to take the snap, drop back and deliver the ball to the open receiver. This entire process usually takes around 2 seconds and at times Fitz is not setup properly when he throws. I think this is his main problem.More time in the pocket to throw would help this process. That and the fact that he doesn't always have a pocket to step up into, Wood going on IR really showed this. Also, don't forget that Fitz is a gunslinger and tries to force the ball into places he shouldn't, but then he wouldn't be Fitz if he didn't take chances.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I disagree with the comment about Fitz's arm being below average. Think about how much time it takes for Fitz to take the snap, drop back and deliver the ball to the open receiver. This entire process usually takes around 2 seconds and at times Fitz is not setup properly when he throws. I think this is his main problem.More time in the pocket to throw would help this process. That and the fact that he doesn't always have a pocket to step up into, Wood going on IR really showed this. Also, don't forget that Fitz is a gunslinger and tries to force the ball into places he shouldn't, but then he wouldn't be Fitz if he didn't take chances.

I think the problem is more mechanics than time (though more time would certainly help any QB). Look at Fitz's throwing motion then look at Marcias, or Eli's, or Peytons, or even Dirty Sanchez's. It's that odd 3/4 delivery in my opinion, not over the top like the others, that makes Fitz inaccurate. Try it yourself, throw a football with a 3/4 delivery then throw over the top to see what I mean. The further you have to throw it Fitz's way, the more difficult it becomes.

I never noticed Fitz's mechanics until I saw him at camp. It is very pronounced at ground level when you are close to him.

I like everything about Fitz, except for this. I cannot imagine he can become an accurate passer for anything but short routes with those mechanics.