If Fitz doesn't improve

Earlier in this thread I posted a youtube video of Fitz throwing a 50 yard pass to Stevie Johnson, perfectly thrown ball over Johnson's outside shoulder where the defender couldn't reach it even if he were right on top of Johnson.( too bad Johnson dropped it) I'll stand by my opinion that Fitz doesn't always have a pocket to step up into, and he tries to get the ball out so fast he isn't always properly setup when he does throw it. Fitz reminds me of Favre who didn't always strive to set up properly and threw the ball when he thought he could make it work. Brett Favre also holds the NFL career record in interceptions with his version of gunslinger mentality.

I'd have to think if Fitz's throwing motion was causing his inaccuracy I can't imagine Chan Gailey being fine with it, and not trying to correct it. JMO tho.

Anyway, regardless of Fitz. This team isn't going very far if they don't fix that O line this year. Buddy Nix went after OT Tyson Clabo last off season in July and after the draft, and I think he had a strong reason to do so. This move tells me that Nix wasn't entirely happy with that line. The problem is after he couldn't sign Clabo it looked like he gave up in adding OT depth to that line. Then to compound that issue the Bills cut G, back up center Geoff Hangartner in preseason....this one move really screwed the Bills hopes of a winning season. Hangman was the only reliable back up center on the team. Do you recall that Miami game where Levitre was the center, what a nightmare.

Then after last season judging the performance of that line after Bell had his season long injury troubles, then Eric Wood went on IR in week 9...that's when the long downhill slide started big time. This is the second year in a row that Center Eric Wood finished the year on IR. I know nobody remembers, but I stated last off season that the line would haunt the team all year. I'm thinking it will again unless the Bills add more talent and depth.

If I'm Buddy Nix I'm looking at the up coming draft and trying to figure out how I draft either OT Riley Reiff / Jonathan Martin THEN trade back up in the first round and get either guard OG David DeCastro / Cordy Glenn. Woo, what a line the Bills would have in 2012

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Buddy Nix has a simple philosophy, it seems, when building a team. Start with the lines, and start with the interior and go outward. Now, sure, some of aquiring talent has to do with who is available. But - look at the aquisitions and strengths of this team now: Wood, Levitre, Ubrik/Rhinehart - that's a solid interior, if Wood is able to stay healthy. Troupe, Dareus, Williams - and the other backups (now Carrington, apparently, who I really like) - this is a strong group, too. He went and solidified the outside of the defense's line. I think the Bills like Pears and Hairston, but they obviously want insurance and they want to stack the talent, and make it as good as possible. So, adding another LT capable of starting and playing well when starting is a must. Adding another C, or capable center, is a must. With those two additions, we'd have a line that was good enough to move forward with. With the right additions, we'd have a line that was not just good enough, but a strength.

Once these lines are done with , we can move to making the peripheral positions strengths. We have a couple WR's and two excellent RB's. We have a QB who is good enough to get us through a season. I think with the addition of a very good WR, and a QB who could be a franchise QB in a few years, we'd have all we needed to have a good offense moving forward.

On defense we have two linebackers who are good enough. We could use one very good, play maker there. We have a secondary, I think, in need of one more playmaker CB.

So, as I see it, before our team is set, we still need, in order of importance, a starting level LT, WR, OLB, CB, QB, C, and anothe TE wouldn't hurt.

It looks like in the first three rounds of this draft we could get 3 of WR, LT, CB, OLB. That would leave QB and another position for next offseason. Centers can be found in later rounds. As can other positions, as we've seen with this staff.

I think after next year's draft we'll have the Bills team that will be set to compete for a Championship for the next 5 years or so.

As for Fitz - I think they already know they need to find a QB to push him, to be ready to come in and take over if he falters. I think Fitz is the guy to carry this team until it is polished enough to insert the really talented Franchise QB, who they will have to go all in for at some point in the next few years, if they can't find him with some luck before then in the mid rounds.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree with you that there's a difference between "quick release" and "too quick" and that Fitz went over that line sometimes esp. with the injuries to the OL. I think it led to his league-leading INTs.

But actually, in the David Lee interview I heard, he commented that Fitz throws very accurately when he doesn't have time to set and is making "funny body" throws, and that this trait is something that is pretty much impossible to teach - but that sometimes Fitz is inaccurate when he does have time to set up in the pocket. His comment was that this had to do with how he sets his feet, and that it was something he felt he could help Fitz improve.

I looked for the article so I could link it- I'll edit and put it in if I can.

IDK, common sense would dictate to me that any QB that doesn't have enough time in the pocket is going to hurry their passes and be inaccurate. The more harried they get the more inaccurate they get.

Trent Edwards answer for being Harried was to simply dump the pass to the RB's, which he did quite often. :doh: Fitz OTOH would find that open WR and get him the ball, even when the WR wasn't always clearly open...kinda why he gets the nickname gunslinger. But the fact that he takes those chances that Edwards never would and moves the ball down the field is why we love him.

Just a side note I heard from a top ex GM on NFL network, one good WR is easy to defend. Two good WR's are much harder to defend. 3 good WR's makes it very difficult to defend. Probably kinda why with Roscoe Parrish healthy the Bills could easily move the ball in the air.

The Bills had one half way decent WR toward the end of last season...

1333715663[/url]' post='2431599']

Thought we agreed comparing QB stats was pointless? Anyway, It seems further discussions with you on this topic are looking moot as you obviously just don't have the imagination to think what would happen to Matt Ryan if he had been the Bills QB the last two years. Clearly you just don't comprehend just how bad the Bills teams have been the last two years in terms of WR's,TE's and O line. Not evey QB in the league could have done as well as Fitz with the talent he has around him, 3000 yards in 2010 is unreal. Then 3800+ yards in 2011 with one half way decent WR on the roster and the 3rd string QB as the #2 WR. is almost unbelievable to me! I suppose you just don't see it.

BTW, Matt Ryan hasn't really done all that great in terms of playoff wins considering how good a team he has been on since he was drafted by Atlanta, same coaches, same system, same players and yet not one play off win. 11-5, 9-7, 13-3,10-6. The year they went 13-3 they were smoked by the 9-7 Packers in Atlanta. Think for a min what Jim Kelly did with the Bills when he arrived in 86. Kelly in his first playoff game, he won it. In his first 4 years with the Bills he had already been to a SB and won numerous HOME playoff games. So Matt Ryan's ability to win big games is very questionable considering the talent around him.

I don't have the imagination to to think what would happen to Matt Ryan if he had been the bills qb the last 2 years? Lol. I think he's a better qb. I'd imagine he'd do better. Based on what we've seen in their careers to date (not just a great 6 game stretch to start the year in a season where there was no training camp), I'm stunned that you've come to the conclusion that Fitzpatrick is a better qb than Ryan. It makes zero sense to me, imagination aside. I guess your name explains it. You're a homer that's unable to look at the bigger picture.

Now you're comparing these falcon teams to the Bills team that went to 4 straight super bowls and Matt Ryan to Jim Kelly because they had similar records. Apples to oranges. Neither are in the same league as Kelly and those bills teams. The last 2 years, the falcons lost to the eventual SB champs. I'm not sure who they lost to in Ryan's first 2 years. You talk as if the Atlanta team Ryan played for is some amazing team. They're good. Definitely much more talented than the bills. Ryan's first year, he went 11-5. The year prior, they had the 3rd pick. Their OL is decent, but not great. Ryan's 1st 3 years, he had 2 good receiving options in white and tony g. His RB has stone hands and is a complete non factor in the passing game, limiting Ryan's ability to dump it off in the flat when the going gets tough. Something fitz has the ability to do due to his RBs ability catching the ball. Ryan throws a MUCH better deep ball and is MUCH more accurate throwing 10-20 yards as well. The only thing fitz MIGHT do better is read and react, and that's debatable as well. Fitz did lead the league in picks last season and made MANY questionable throws.

1333671518[/url]' post='2431422']

So in summation… ?

:)

Fitz isn't as good a qb as Matt Ryan.

Edited by NewEra

I support Fitz since he is our starting quarterback. Put saying we are "respectable" with a guy that has a losing record as a starter is a little over the top man.

Yeah, Fitz isn't very good and I still can't believe the Bills were DUMB enough to give him the money they did. And how is it that the Bills can never get even a decent TE??

I don't have the imagination to to think what would happen to Matt Ryan if he had been the bills qb the last 2 years? Lol. ! I think he's a better qb. I'd imagine he'd do better. I'd imagine he would get killed Based on what we've seen in their careers to date Ryan has a better won / loss record because he has had better teams around him since he was drafted, OBVIOUSLY (not just a great 6 game stretch to start the year in a season where there was no training camp), I'm stunned that you've come to the conclusion that Fitzpatrick is a better qb than Ryan. It makes zero sense to me, imagination aside. I guess your name explains it. You're a homer that's unable to look at the bigger picture. When you get over being stunned :lol: all Ive ever maintained is I'd take Fitz as the Buffalo Bills QB playing for the Buffalo Bills. I've also maintained Matt Ryan wouldn't have lasted the season behind the Bills O line the last two years! I have my reasons for thinking that! Clearly you missed that playoff game where the Falcons got trounced 48-21 IN Atlanta by the Packers. The Falcons won home field thru out and got whooped on their home field, as Matt Ryan looked so flawed in that game. The Packers sacked Ryan 5 times, he didn't play very well under constant pressure.

Now you're comparing these falcon teams to the Bills team that went to 4 straight super bowls and Matt Ryan to Jim Kelly because they had similar records. Apples to oranges. I know it must be difficult, but try and grasp the concept the the only time the Bills went 13-3 ( like the Falcons did in 2010 )with Kelly they went to a super bowl. The entire point was Matt Ryan has yet to even win a playoff game despite being surrounded by some of the best talent in the NFL...are you unable to understand this point?

Neither are in the same league as Kelly and those bills teams. The last 2 years, the falcons lost to the eventual SB champs. I'm not sure who they lost to in Ryan's first 2 years. You talk as if the Atlanta team Ryan played for is some amazing team. They're good. Definitely much more talented than the bills. Ryan's first year, he went 11-5. The year prior, they had the 3rd pick. Their OL is decent, but not great. Ryan's 1st 3 years, he had 2 good receiving options in white and tony g. His RB has stone hands and is a complete non factor in the passing game, limiting Ryan's ability to dump it off in the flat when the going gets tough. Something fitz has the ability to do due to his RBs ability catching the ball. Ryan throws a MUCH better deep ball and is MUCH more accurate throwing 10-20 yards as well. The only thing fitz MIGHT do better is read and react, and that's debatable as well. Fitz did lead the league in picks last season and made MANY questionable throws.

Fitz isn't as good a qb as Matt Ryan.

Yea, I get you love Matt Ryan. Now I realize I verbally stabbed you when i compared Ryan to Fitz :lol:

It might appear to you that Ryan throws a much better deep ball simply because he throws deep more often as he has more time to throw in the pocket, plus Ryan can even step up in the pocket to make those deep throws because his line is so much better. The Falcons also have more then one decent receiver on their team

I realize YOU don't think the line is much better, but it is. Go watch that first Jets game in 2010, the 14-38 loss. The one where Fitz is the leading rusher with 74 yards rushing. He gained those yards because the line was so bad he was forced to tuck and run it on almost every Bills offensive play. Talk about a jailbreak, Fitz was literally running for his life every play, and this is a QB that can get rid of the ball in under 1.5 seconds. The Jets only managed 3 sacks on Fitz that day which tells you that Fitz has crazy good escape ability, better then most any other QB I've ever watched.

If Fitz should ever be in position to play in a playoff game, I'm thinking he wins it... if he has even near the talent on his team the Falcons have had the last 4 years.

1333870251[/url]' post='2432679']

Yea, I get you love Matt Ryan. Now I realize I verbally stabbed you when i compared Ryan to Fitz :lol:

It might appear to you that Ryan throws a much better deep ball simply because he throws deep more often as he has more time to throw in the pocket, plus Ryan can even step up in the pocket to make those deep throws because his line is so much better. The Falcons also have more then one decent receiver on their team

I realize YOU don't think the line is much better, but it is. Go watch that first Jets game in 2010, the 14-38 loss. The one where Fitz is the leading rusher with 74 yards rushing. He gained those yards because the line was so bad he was forced to tuck and run it on almost every Bills offensive play. Talk about a jailbreak, Fitz was literally running for his life every play, and this is a QB that can get rid of the ball in under 1.5 seconds. The Jets only managed 3 sacks on Fitz that day which tells you that Fitz has crazy good escape ability, better then most any other QB I've ever watched.

If Fitz should ever be in position to play in a playoff game, I'm thinking he wins it... if he has even near the talent on his team the Falcons have had the last 4 years.

Ok, you've done it. You've convinced me fitz us better than Ryan. End sarcasm.

I don't love Ryan. I think he's a pretty good QB. Not top 10 in the nfl right now. That's not saying very much. That being said, it's obvious to me that he's better than fitz. Talk all you want that Ryan throws a better deep ball because he has a better OL and a better receiving corps....it's simply rubbish. He throws a better deep ball because he has a better arm and more accuracy throwing it deep. Period. The same talented team that Carried Ryan to the playoffs his rookie year, finished with the 3rd worse record in the league the previous year. Sometimes, a good qb has the ability to make those around him better. You talk of his loss to the packers at home in the playoffs as if the packers were just some team. They were a great team that rolled through everyone in the playoffs...all on the road. They have the best qb in the league (IMO) and had a top notch pass rush that season (their defense was pretty good too). But Ryan hasn't won a playoff game. Fitz on the other hand, has never made the playoffs. But that means nothing, because his talent is inferior. So you're fighting a war you cannot lose, because you can always fall back on "fitz doesn't have enough talent around him". Support fitz to the day he leaves our franchise, just like I will. Just don't fool yourself. I know I won't be fooled. He's an average qb surrounded by inferior talent. With superior talent, he's still an average qb.

Ok, you've done it. You've convinced me fitz us better than Ryan. End sarcasm.

I don't love Ryan. I think he's a pretty good QB. Not top 10 in the nfl right now. That's not saying very much. That being said, it's obvious to me that he's better than fitz. Talk all you want that Ryan throws a better deep ball because he has a better OL and a better receiving corps....it's simply rubbish. He throws a better deep ball because he has a better arm and more accuracy throwing it deep. Period. The same talented team that Carried Ryan to the playoffs his rookie year, finished with the 3rd worse record in the league the previous year. Sometimes, a good qb has the ability to make those around him better. You talk of his loss to the packers at home in the playoffs as if the packers were just some team. They were a great team that rolled through everyone in the playoffs...all on the road. They have the best qb in the league (IMO) and had a top notch pass rush that season (their defense was pretty good too). But Ryan hasn't won a playoff game. Fitz on the other hand, has never made the playoffs. But that means nothing, because his talent is inferior. So you're fighting a war you cannot lose, because you can always fall back on "fitz doesn't have enough talent around him". Support fitz to the day he leaves our franchise, just like I will. Just don't fool yourself. I know I won't be fooled. He's an average qb surrounded by inferior talent. With superior talent, he's still an average qb.

You do love Ryan, or else you wouldn't defend him like you do, excuse after excuse. Even with all that talent around him he still folded like a lawn chair under a heavy rush pressure by the Packers. In my view he choked big time. Fitz see's that kinda of pressure almost every single game he plays, because he has played on some really bad teams. Most specifically that 2010 Buffalo Bills team had one of the worst offensive lines ever. I can tell you this right now, Matt Ryan wouldn't have made it thru that first Jets game in 2010 standing up, much less the season.

That 13-3 Falcons team didn't get home field thru out because they sucked, they got beaten in the playoffs by a wildcard 9-7 Packer team mostly because they got behind in the score and Matt Ryan couldn't handle the pass rush, even with all those star receivers he still couldn't get them the ball. Bottom line: I've watched both QB's play, and Fitz handles the pressure better then Ryan has done.

You missed the entire point in all my threads... because how dare anyone compare Fitz to Ryan. I'm happy for you that you are convinced Ryan is better then Fitz, and Fitz is merely average.

I know what I saw in Fitz the first 8 games of last season, Fitz certainly looked above average to me when he had some semblance of a decent team around him. (although no where near the talent level the Falcons have) He must have also looked above average to the Bills FO to sign him to a fat new contract during the season. So I'd have to say the Bills FO takes my point of view. :nana:

1333951186[/url]' post='2432963']

You do love Ryan, or else you wouldn't defend him like you do, excuse after excuse. Even with all that talent around him he still folded like a lawn chair under a heavy rush pressure by the Packers. In my view he choked big time. Fitz see's that kinda of pressure almost every single game he plays, because he has played on some really bad teams. Most specifically that 2010 Buffalo Bills team had one of the worst offensive lines ever. I can tell you this right now, Matt Ryan wouldn't have made it thru that first Jets game in 2010 standing up, much less the season.

That 13-3 Falcons team didn't get home field thru out because they sucked, they got beaten in the playoffs by a wildcard 9-7 Packer team mostly because they got behind in the score and Matt Ryan couldn't handle the pass rush, even with all those star receivers he still couldn't get them the ball. Bottom line: I've watched both QB's play, and Fitz handles the pressure better then Ryan has done.

You missed the entire point in all my threads... because how dare anyone compare Fitz to Ryan. I'm happy for you that you are convinced Ryan is better then Fitz, and Fitz is merely average.

I know what I saw in Fitz the first 8 games of last season, Fitz certainly looked above average to me when he had some semblance of a decent team around him. (although no where near the talent level the Falcons have) He must have also looked above average to the Bills FO to sign him to a fat new contract during the season. So I'd have to say the Bills FO takes my point of view. :nana:

Lala land my fellow bills fan. You live in lala land. No. I'm not a fan of Ryan. I hate the falcons. I hate every team that isn't the bills. I don't think Matt Ryan is THAT good. It's obvious to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not as good as him. That's all. Make up all the lunacy you want, no one thinks fitz is better than Ryan except the Fitzy homers. You are a Fitzy homer. I sent some of my friends a link to this thread and they laughed. They hate ryan too, theyre niners and saints fans. They watch every bills game with me and see exactly what you see. Somehow, your vision is clouded with a love for another man. I applaud you for backing our man, as I back him in many instances (believe it or not), but I cannot see a valid argument how fitz is a better qb than Matt Ryan. There's absolutely nothing that can back your argument except "fitz has less talent on his team". Nothing.

Regarding the bills FO "taking your point of view".....lala land. What's your point of view? That fitz is an above average qb? That fitz is better than Ryan? That fitz is getting paid like an average starting qb gets paid? Enlighten me on how the bills FO "agrees with you". When he was signed, it was during the best 6 game run of his career (by far). He most definitely looked like an above average qb. Then he looked like a bum after that. Injuries, talent level.... I know and I agree that it affected him, and that he's not the same qb we saw to close the season. According to his career, he's somewhere in between and thats how the FO paid him. 10mill a year is the going rate for an average starting qb. We'll never know, but I'd be fairly certain Ryan would get a similar deal from our FO, most likely larger. Oh wait, he's just a product of the talent level around him. The same team that earned the 3rd pick in the draft used to draft him. That pick is earned by being really bad if you didn't know. What was the falcons record his rookie year? Oh yeah. It was all the talent they had that carried Ryan.

Edited by NewEra

Lala land my fellow bills fan. You live in lala land. No. I'm not a fan of Ryan. I hate the falcons. I hate every team that isn't the bills. I don't think Matt Ryan is THAT good. It's obvious to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not as good as him. That's all. Make up all the lunacy you want, no one thinks fitz is better than Ryan except the Fitzy homers. You are a Fitzy homer. I sent some of my friends a link to this thread and they laughed. They hate ryan too, theyre niners and saints fans. They watch every bills game with me and see exactly what you see. Somehow, your vision is clouded with a love for another man. I applaud you for backing our man, as I back him in many instances (believe it or not), but I cannot see a valid argument how fitz is a better qb than Matt Ryan. There's absolutely nothing that can back your argument except "fitz has less talent on his team". Nothing.

Regarding the bills FO "taking your point of view".....lala land. What's your point of view? That fitz is an above average qb? That fitz is better than Ryan? That fitz is getting paid like an average starting qb gets paid? Enlighten me on how the bills FO "agrees with you". When he was signed, it was during the best 6 game run of his career (by far). He most definitely looked like an above average qb. Then he looked like a bum after that. Injuries, talent level.... I know and I agree that it affected him, and that he's not the same qb we saw to close the season. According to his career, he's somewhere in between and thats how the FO paid him. 10mill a year is the going rate for an average starting qb. We'll never know, but I'd be fairly certain Ryan would get a similar deal from our FO, most likely larger. Oh wait, he's just a product of the talent level around him. The same team that earned the 3rd pick in the draft used to draft him. That pick is earned by being really bad if you didn't know. What was the falcons record his rookie year? Oh yeah. It was all the talent they had that carried Ryan.

Ok you have got to be the most dense poster I've met on this board... I NEVER SAID FITZ WAS BETTER THEN RYAN, for the last time! Good lord, I said I perfer him as QB of the Bills. The mere fact that after all these posts and you still don't understand this concept shows me what I'm dealing with. Show this point to your friends so they also get a better understanding of you.

Remember reading this, or perhaps you don't. From the post above that I highlighted in blue text.

When you get over being stunned :lol: all Ive ever maintained is I'd take Fitz as the Buffalo Bills QB playing for the Buffalo Bills. I've also maintained Matt Ryan wouldn't have lasted the season behind the Bills O line the last two years!

Edited by Fear the Beard

1334015042[/url]' post='2433450']

Ok you have got to be the most dense poster I've met on this board... I NEVER SAID FITZ WAS BETTER THEN RYAN, for the last time! Good lord, I said I perfer him as QB of the Bills. The mere fact that after all these posts and you still don't understand this concept shows me what I'm dealing with. Show this point to your friends so they also get a better understanding of you.

Remember reading this, or perhaps you don't. From the post above that I highlighted in blue text.

When you get over being stunned :lol: all Ive ever maintained is I'd take Fitz as the Buffalo Bills QB playing for the Buffalo Bills. I've also maintained Matt Ryan wouldn't have lasted the season behind the Bills O line the last two years!

I remember reading this :

I'm happy for you that you think Ryan is the better QB on a better team or even Flacco. I happen to think both those QB's would have sucked badly in Buffalo.

Fitz didn't suck badly last year, but Ryan wouldve sucked badly. Or did fitz suck badly last year and ryan wouldve equally sucked? Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but your above quote can be seen as Fitz is a better qb than Ryan If said person didn't think fitz sucked badly last year. I don't think he sucked badly.

I remember reading this :

I'm happy for you that you think Ryan is the better QB on a better team or even Flacco. I happen to think both those QB's would have sucked badly in Buffalo.

Fitz didn't suck badly last year, but Ryan wouldve sucked badly. Or did fitz suck badly last year and ryan wouldve equally sucked? Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but your above quote can be seen as Fitz is a better qb than Ryan If said person didn't think fitz sucked badly last year. I don't think he sucked badly.

I never said Ryan was better at anything. Perhaps you need to stop reading between the lines and read the actual lines :lol:....seriously!

1334031317[/url]' post='2433584']

I never said Ryan was better at anything. Perhaps you need to stop reading between the lines and read the actual lines :lol:....seriously!

You said Matt ryan would have sucked terribly. Ryan Fitzpatrick did not suck terribly. 1+1 = 2.

Either way, I'm over this. I'm 100% behind fitz and I have hope that he improves as our talent level improves. I believe he can get us to the playoffs this season if our team stays relatively healthy. Our schedule is weak and our talent in improving. Let's hope we can have this conversation this time next year and We can agree that Fitzy is better than Matt Ryan.

You said Matt ryan would have sucked terribly. Ryan Fitzpatrick did not suck terribly. 1+1 = 2.

Either way, I'm over this. I'm 100% behind fitz and I have hope that he improves as our talent level improves. I believe he can get us to the playoffs this season if our team stays relatively healthy. Our schedule is weak and our talent in improving. Let's hope we can have this conversation this time next year and We can agree that Fitzy is better than Matt Ryan.

we agree at last :D

The Bills still need to upgrade that O line or nothing changes for this up coming year, even if everyone healthy Fitz doesn't always have time to throw the deep passing plays. Its why Chan Gailey setup that short quick passing game. That game plan was merely a band aid as are some of the current starters on that O line. Players that were picked up off the waiver wire and are not really top talent at their positions. These players will show their deficiencies once Gailey starts opening up the play book for more 5-7 step drop back passes.

I hope the Bills draft OT-G-WR-TE this year, it seem unlikely. But again, all I can do is hope the Bills go mostly offense this draft as Fitz needs better protection and more then one good WR.