The USFL is back

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make it a late spring/summer league so it's not up against the NFL. It would make the USFL a good league for teams to send players who they might consider signing for further evaluation. How about a team in Rochester at Sahlen's Stadium?

PTR

Now they can get a team back in Los Angeles.

Make it a late spring/summer league so it's not up against the NFL. It would make the USFL a good league for teams to send players who they might consider signing for further evaluation. How about a team in Rochester at Sahlen's Stadium?

PTR

Exactly. This worked out fine for NFL Europe.

Also since they are targeting San Jose, it would be foolish to have it going the same time as the NFL season, especially with the 49'ers moving to Santa Clara.

Great idea, if only they would do it in the former NFL Europe cities. I hope they don't make the mistake the NFL did with NFL Europe (which was turning over the complete rosters every year, making it very hard for fans to bind with the players). Another mistake NFL Europe made was that their players would miss out the OTA's and only have one week off for training camp, the league needs to be finished with two weeks off before OTA's start if they trully want to operate as a minor league and allow players to sign with NFL teams.

$3000-3500 per game is what NFL Europe players would get paid a month (QBs were an exception though), given the fact that the UFL with known names on the field and a TV deal with Comcast seems to be destined for chapter-11 this year and the offcial reason for folding NFL Europe was that it was turning $10,- million a year in losses ($20 million income) with Amsterdam and Cologne being the main culprits (allthough Amsterdam greatly improved in the last 2 seasons, Cologne was a lost cause (too close to Rhein Fire)), with that in mind USFL seems to be destined to fail financially before they even get off the ground (I still believe the only reason NFL Europe was folded was because the new commish (Goodell) wanted to make a statement (standard new-CEO practise; sacrifice the love child of your predescor).

The ideal scenario for a spring league with a revised NFL Europe format should be

1. Takes place in the spring and finishes 2 weeks before OTA's start.

2.League should consist of 16 teams (4 divisions of 4, 6 games, numbers 1 and 2 get to compete in playoffs (3 more games), 2 pre-season games to get the level of play up to par).

3. Each team should be bound to one AFC team and one NFC team.

4. Those AFC and NFC teams commit their PS and their 3rd QB to those teams without the teams having the obligation to take them.

5. Coaching and staffing should be on the NFL level (AFC and NFC teams can place interns for developing their FO staff).

6. Coaches and staffing should be 100% free to play and choose who they want.

7. Rules should equal the NFL rules.

8. Pre-season games lasting 2 quarters , 1 quarter - 10 minute break -1 quarter. 4 teams to play in single stadium for preseason games.

9. Pre-season games to be played in the stadiums of the teams not having made the playoffs the year before (1 game per such team), including their home team.

10. Sponsoring NFC/AFC teams allowed to make 3 players of their regular roster available (to cover PS guys they want to develop further but who had been called up to the roster for depth).

I'll stop dreaming now... :/

The NFL already has a minor league. It's called College Football. :thumbsup:

NFL Europe alone proofs that statement false. The number of pro-bowl players that were developed in NFL Europe was staggering. At it's height the Superbowl featured 22 players with NFL Europe experience. Scouting is not an exact science, some guys only get there after they have been rejected by the NFL or because they start developing into NFL material a little bit later then others.

Now they can get a team back in Los Angeles.

Exactly. This worked out fine for NFL Europe.

Also since they are targeting San Jose, it would be foolish to have it going the same time as the NFL season, especially with the 49'ers moving to Santa Clara.

It's been announced as a spring league. Also it didnt work out for NFL Europe, a lot of the players returning werent given a roster spot because they allready had 11 games under their belt (not fresh enough to last a season), missed OTA's. As a result the NFL Europe players that made it did so often in the year after they played in NFL Europe.

Edited by bladiebla

NFL Europe alone proofs that statement false. The number of pro-bowl players that were developed in NFL Europe was staggering. At it's height the Superbowl featured 22 players with NFL Europe experience. Scouting is not an exact science, some guys only get there after they have been rejected by the NFL or because they start developing into NFL material a little bit later then others.

Considering NFLE doesnt even exist right now, I think my statement is a little more accurate to the current situation. :thumbsup:

I think the NFL has needed a minor league in America for years. I used to watch NFL Europe, but it wasn't the same as a minor league baseball. Hope it works out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/01/new-usfl-aims-to-be-true-nfl-minor-league/

Great idea but it should a true farm league where all the players are on a team can be called up to your main franchise. As part of our regionalization efforts we could put a Team in Toronto to get more fans from there to be interested in the Bills and expand our fan base and income.

Great idea but it should a true farm league where all the players are on a team can be called up to your main franchise. As part of our regionalization efforts we could put a Team in Toronto to get more fans from there to be interested in the Bills and expand our fan base and income.

True farm team would turn my interest from 0% to 100%. That would be exciting.

True farm team would turn my interest from 0% to 100%. That would be exciting.

Agreed. Though, I am not sure that Toronto is the best place for this. They've got this thing called the CFL that needs Toronto to survive as a league. They can hardly support the Argos as it is and they would not be inclined to support a minor-league franchise when they aren't supporting the professional one. Toronto, I have come to realize, is not a good NFL market. Keep the league fully in the US, maybe give Mexico City a try, and target cities with strong fan bases like OKC, Portland, Richmond and San Antonio.

Agreed. Though, I am not sure that Toronto is the best place for this. They've got this thing called the CFL that needs Toronto to survive as a league. They can hardly support the Argos as it is and they would not be inclined to support a minor-league franchise when they aren't supporting the professional one. Toronto, I have come to realize, is not a good NFL market. Keep the league fully in the US, maybe give Mexico City a try, and target cities with strong fan bases like OKC, Portland, Richmond and San Antonio.

MX city would be a long drive :P

Maybe Hamilton or Syracuse.