Nix hints it'll be a tackle

Lothar

If the Bills draft, and click on a top LT, it would be monumental. This is a team who has historically squandered it's best resources on defensive backs and running backs, the results of which were of course losing football games. This is beyond dispute.

Now, their biggest needs are LT, LB, and back-up QB. Having the #10, and additional late round picks, we could get lucky and fill these needs. This would, imo, make us a playoff team.

The above said, I am pretty sure that the #10 will be a wideout. We shall see.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like Nix said we needed a scatback and drafted CJ Spiller?

Spiller was BPA. I don't see a LT being BPA at #10.

BTW, Nix also said that they're comfortable with Hairston as the starter and think he'll be able to do the job, but want depth there.

. This is a team who has historically squandered it's best resources on defensive backs and running backs, the results of which were of course losing football games. This is beyond dispute

beyond dispute? More like patently false!

Mike williams and Eric wood were rd1.Williams was the ultimate bust and although wood was good when healthy he has a terrible injury history and had missed a lot time. Levitre rd 2 may end up being the only consistent contributor They also paid up big time in FA for dochety, another high profile bust. Not to mention all the OL picks in other rounds like Hairston, Wang etc ... This team has spent a lot of resource on OL

There is a swing tackle available, already living in Western NY . Adam Terry Syracuse 6-8 335. Can play both Right & Left Tackle. VERY high Character guy, who if his knees are healthy would be solid depth. He started ahead of Gaither at Baltimore, and was signed when Pears was released by Jax.

Worth a try Buddy!

Edited by BearNorth

If Nix hints it will be a tackle at 10, it won't be.

you must have gotten that from all the scat back references, then the spiller pick. or maybe it was the oogling over dareus, miller, and newton last year that made you think that nix is not upfront about what his plans are.

buddy is more than forth coming, if he says, it will be a tackle at 10, which he hasnt, if the tackle he wants is there, it will be. i dont get this

Not to mention all the OL picks in other rounds like Hairston, Wang etc ... This team has spent a lot of resource on OL

I suspect most teams spend 1-2 picks per year on OL. The difference is how high or low those picks tend to be based on your drafting success...

If the Bills draft, and click on a top LT, it would be monumental. This is a team who has historically squandered it's best resources on defensive backs and running backs, the results of which were of course losing football games. This is beyond dispute.

Now, their biggest needs are LT, LB, and back-up QB. Having the #10, and additional late round picks, we could get lucky and fill these needs. This would, imo, make us a playoff team.

There's no problem with a wideout at 10 if he gets a guy like Marcus McNeil in round 2 though, right Bill?

Nix will get the best player in the draft at a given position at #10. If they can't get the best LT in the draft at 10 (they obviously won't) then they'll pick a guy later that they feel has good upside at the position. The question will be which player will be available at 10 who is the very best at their position this year AND falls into the category of filling a need or lack of depth issue. My guess is defense at 10 unless they trade down. A DT would not surprise me. Whoever rotates in with KW and MD right now is a major drop-off in the middle. Players like Poe and Brockers would allow the team to cut or trade a number of the DT backups. Contractually speaking DT would be not only be a supremely formidable group but we could count on 2 years of not having to extend anyone. Just a thought.

Its called a smoke screen boys

Respectfully, no, it's not.

If Buddy says they're going to draft 2 OTs, then they will. If he makes it pretty obvious that they're going to go there early, then they will.

Remember, he said they wanted a "water bug" RB as a priority, and drafted Spiller in the first. He said they liked Newton, Miller, and Dareus, and picked Dareus when Newton and Miller were gone. He said this year they'd get a pass rusher in FA "one way or another", and they went out and got two of them.

Buddy is pretty straightforward, and if he's sayiing he wants OTs, he'll draft OTs.

As for who those OTs might be, I can only guess from his comments below:

http://bills-on-the-rise.com/2012/02/27/586/

It sure sounds like he likes Martin a lot, but that doesn't mean anything. As for small school guys, that could be their developmental target in rounds 4-6...

I think it's arguable that the biggest needs are LT, WR, and LB.

I think Chan still has hopes for Thigpen. I also think he'll be bringing in a late-round QB and possibly an UDFA to camp.

Just like Nix said we needed a scatback and drafted CJ Spiller?

Respectfully, no, it's not.

If Buddy says they're going to draft 2 OTs, then they will. If he makes it pretty obvious that they're going to go there early, then they will.

Remember, he said they wanted a "water bug" RB as a priority, and drafted Spiller in the first. He said they liked Newton, Miller, and Dareus, and picked Dareus when Newton and Miller were gone. He said this year they'd get a pass rusher in FA "one way or another", and they went out and got two of them.

Buddy is pretty straightforward, and if he's sayiing he wants OTs, he'll draft OTs.

Wasn't it Gailey who said he'd like a "water bug" RB?

“The guys that are coming out now, there’s a bunch of those 5-9,

185-pound or 195-pound, quick-as-a-cat water bugs that are running

backs-slash-receivers that might give you a little bit of a punch on the

field, maybe make a big play,” Gailey told reporters Tuesday morning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/chan-gailey-wants-to-draft-a-water-bug/

Edited by Carey Bender

I'm anticipating WR at #10, then OT/LB in the 2nd/3rd. My guess is based on team need, not players who will or won't be available. I watched almost no college football last year and have paid no attention to the combine or draft gurus because, well, what does it matter? I have no say in the selection so why get my hopes up they will or won't draft a particular guy?

I AM confident Buddy knows how to evaluate talent and build a football team. His first draft (w/ Modrak) is still pretty questionable, but last year was a nice bounce back and of course we all know about this year's FA signings -- both our own and the new guys.

Wasn't it Gailey who said he'd like a "water bug" RB?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/chan-gailey-wants-to-draft-a-water-bug/

Good call...thanks for the correction.

I suppose it's more appropriate to say that the organization has been straightforward in their approach.

Nevertheless, if Buddy says he wants 2 OTs, I totally expect them to draft 2 OTs.

I think it's arguable that the biggest needs are LT, WR, and LB.

I think Chan still has hopes for Thigpen. I also think he'll be bringing in a late-round QB and possibly an UDFA to camp.

This ^, I was thinking the same thing. WR is a huge need IMO, maybe even more of a need than LT. LB depth is badly needed as well. I don't think backup QB is ever a "big need". Thigpen looked awful in limited action, but let's face it, for most teams in the league if your starter goes down you are done.

Whether you like it or not Fitz is our QB, and our success this year rides on him being healthy and effective.

Even though I'd like us to go with a wideout here, I get the impression Nix is thinking about picking up a couple tackles, including a first rounder.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/will-bills-draft-more-than-1-ot/

“Depth at tackle is problem,” said Nix. ”We’ve got depth inside. We’ve got guards and centers that can play in there. Last year we lost two left tackles and Levitre moved out there and he did a commendable job, but we’ve got to have at least one top tackle in the draft and another guy that we can develop.”

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

Prob taking Martin and Darko from FSU.

He said “We’ve got some guys that would hopefully be second or third round guys that we think in one year can be a starter for you,” said Nix. ’It’s not bad for tackles.”

which means he will be looker tackle but may not be in the first.....^^^^i dont know if you didnt read the whole article but it sounded more like we will be going tackle in rounds 2 or 3

I hope your right. I agree the draft is very deep at tackle, and WR for that matter. Which is why I would like to see us grab a LB with the first pick. This D will be totally unstoppable if they can grab a player like Hightower. I also like that the Pats are getting scared of us.

Even though I'd like us to go with a wideout here, I get the impression Nix is thinking about picking up a couple tackles, including a first rounder.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/will-bills-draft-more-than-1-ot/

“Depth at tackle is problem,” said Nix. ”We’ve got depth inside. We’ve got guards and centers that can play in there. Last year we lost two left tackles and Levitre moved out there and he did a commendable job, but we’ve got to have at least one top tackle in the draft and another guy that we can develop.”

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

Well it makes sense ! I do seem to remember Nix stating that if they draft line men that they would draft tackles b/c it is easier to change a tackle to a guard position than it is to put a guard into a tackle position ..

And so far Buddy has just about nailed it , maybe not perfectly but pretty close & his thoughts on the lineman thing seems to make a lot of sense to me !!!