Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

Obama’s mixed-bag commentary on the Zimmerman case

In times of national tragedy we expect our leaders to speak with insight, seriousness, and solemnity. The Trayvon Martin affair isn’t a national tragedy, though, it’s a personal one.

Nonetheless, President Obama decided to discuss it today in an unscheduled appearance to talk solely about this matter. The transcript is here.

Obama’s remarks were certainly solemn, and were not devoid of insight and seriousness. At times, he rose to the occasion (to the extent this is one); at other times, not so much. My hunch, though, is that the latter times were to some extent in service of the former.

Early on, the president was short on insights. He doubled down on irrelevant biographical reflection:

You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.

But was young Obama suspended from school twice, once for getting caught with a burglary tool and a dozen items of property that did not belong to him? Was young Obama into fighting and seeing his opponent bleed? Did he ever sucker punch anyone, as Zimmerman says Martin sucker punched him?

Obama explained that very few African-American men haven’t had the experience of being watched closely in a department store or hearing car door locks click as they approach. But did Obama ever respond by “grounding and pounding” the observer or the lock clicker? If not, then there’s no reason to believe that Martin could have been Obama 35 years ago.

In any event, Martin’s death is no more or less tragic depending on Obama’s biography.

Obama then offered a less than focused discussion about the “history of racial disparities in the application of our criminal laws” and “the fact that African-American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system. . .both [as] victims and perpetrators of violence.” From this discussion, he concluded that there’s “a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different.”

Is this Obama’s “sense?” He didn’t say. He just put it out there.

This, it seems to me, is irresponsible. If Obama really believes that, on the evidence in this case, Zimmerman would have been convicted if Martin had been white, he should say so and explain why. Referring to America’s “history” of unfair verdicts in race cases won’t suffice, absent evidence that this pattern persists — of which Obama offered none. And the fact that young African-Americans disproportionately are “perpetrators of violence” should not produce a sense that the outcome of Zimmerman’s trial was race-based.

{snip}

Obama was on far more responsible ground when he called for non-violence on the part of those demonstrating against the verdict.

Next, in the most newsworthy portion of his talk, Obama indicated that, though Eric Holder is right to continue investigating the matter, it is unlikely that any litigation will come from that investigation:

Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government — the criminal code. And law enforcement has traditionally done it at the state and local levels, not at the federal levels.

Perhaps Obama’s personalized and other musings about race in the first part of his talk were designed in part to make walking away from federal prosecution of Zimmerman more palatable to blacks. By convincing African-Americans that he really is a black president, he positions himself to receive less blowback for not persecuting Zimmerman to the max.

http://www.powerline...merman-case.php

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is up with this white guilt crap? A good example of this white guilt bs is HLN news channel. That HLN is the worst. They seem to have no common sense. They base there facts from a emotional stand point.

Just as there's stupid people on both the left and right, there's stupid people who are racists and on the flip side stupid people who are race baiters. While we're on the subject of stupidity, this week Chris Matthews amazingly felt the need to apologize on behave of white people. Why? Because he's a completely out of touch idiot who's stuck way back in the 60s just like Obama, Hillary, Sharpton, Jackson and Holder. I'm embarrassed for Matthews, and I think he's a jerk. FYI, we can tack on another 4 years of this BS if Hillary is elected. Maybe the new generation will get tired of this because they probably relate to this stuff as much as they relate to the Rolling Stones or Motown music.

What is up with this white guilt crap? A good example of this white guilt bs is HLN news channel. That HLN is the worst. They seem to have no common sense. They base there facts from a emotional stand point.

I never watched HLN until this trial. It is undoubtedly the worst network on TV. The Brady Bunch screaming boxes, the Hysterical Ladies Network, the bias and lies, going to commercial with no segue, sometimes in the middle of a sentence and on and on.

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/sharpton-rallied-with-black-panthers-as-they-passed-out-zimmerman-dead-or-alive-flyers-video/

As I noted in a recent post, but will repeat again – a member of Zimmerman’s family actually sent a plaintive letter to Atty General Eric Holder pleading for help in April of 2012, asking him why the Panthers hadn’t yet been arrested for threatening his family.

“I am writing you to ask you why, when the law of the land is crystal clear, is your office not arresting the New Black Panthers for hate crimes?” the family member wrote to Holder.

“The Zimmerman family is in hiding because of the threats that have been made against us, yet the DOJ has maintained an eerie silence on this matter. These threats are very public. If you haven’t been paying attention just do a Google search and you will find plenty. Since when can a group of people in the United States put a bounty on someone’s head, circulate Wanted posters publicly, and still be walking the streets?”

The New Black Panthers have issued ultimatums to the Sanford authorities, saying they want Zimmerman arrested “dead or alive.” They have placed a bounty on Zimmerman’s head, and have called for the building of an army of vigilantes to track him down and effect a citizen’s arrest.

Most recently, the New Black Panther Party has called for violence.

In a conference call recorded over the weekend, the militant group said it planned to “suit up and boot up” and prepare for the next stages of the “race war.”

So far, however, no members of the New Black Panther Party have faced legal consequences.

The NBPP also called for a militia of 5,000 black volunteers to help capture George Zimmerman. Which Holder’s Justice Dept. also ignored.

And now, they’re at it again: New Black Panthers: Zimmerman Acquittal Means “War”…

Via
:

“Were at war,” Shabbazz Tweeted. “Its (sic) silly and immoral to call for peace when war has been declared.”

The NBPP slammed what it called the “white mans (sic) justice system,” claiming the courts base their law on “the white is right theory.”

“Only a devil would applaud that verdict. Only natural born devil. By applauding that verdict you in fact admit that you are a devil,” wrote Shabbazz.

“The major problem with whites is they see white as exalted over others,” the Twitter feed added.

A conservative black blogger pointed out the double standard a year and a half ago:

If the Klu Klux Klan or the Aryan Brotherhood came out and openly stated that they were going to issue a bounty and form a posse for the capture of a black man, how long do you think it would be before those involved would be arrested for racial intimation, conspiracy to commit a hate crime etc? Of course, it would be almost instant and rightfully so in that case. So
how is it possible that the NBPP is able to stand out in the open and issue a bounty on a citizen who hasn’t been charged by the government with a crime?

TALKLEFT: “Not once did he express any empathy for George Zimmerman, the man who was acquitted who spent the past 16 months under the cloud of criminal charges, and who continues to have a target on his back.”

“By the President comparing himself to Martin 35 years ago, is he saying he would have responded as Martin did, and physically attacked someone for following him? I hope not because our laws do not allow such conduct. It is not illegal for a private citizen to follow someone. It is illegal to physically assault another person who has not threatened him with the imminent use of force.

I am very disappointed that the President has chosen to endorse those who have turned a case of assault and self-defense into a referendum on race and civil rights.”

DISTRACTION: Why Obama staged his Impromptu Presser on Trayvon in three images.

Related: “A part of me cannot help but think that the only reason President Obama addressed this story so personally today was to get these other headlines off the table, and thrown down into the memory hole.” .......................................... Ya think?

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/congressional-black-caucus-members-would-support-economic-boycott-of-fl//#more

The push for an economic boycott of Florida has ratcheted up in recent days, with some members of the Congressional Black Caucus now publicly supporting the idea of such an action. The underlying target of their ire? Stand Your Ground laws, of course.

From The Hill:

A number of House Democrats are lining up behind the Rev. Jesse Jackson’s threat for an economic boycott of Florida following the not-guilty verdict in the death of Trayvon Martin.

The lawmakers, all members of the Congressional Black Caucus, are fierce critics of the process that led to George Zimmerman’s acquittal in the fatal shooting last year of the Florida teenager. Exerting pressure on Florida’s economy as Jackson is suggesting, they said, could help overturn the state’s controversial stand-your-ground laws that many contend contributed to the tragedy.

Among lawmakers who’d support an economic boycott of Florida is Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), who suggested that forcing the revenues to decline for conventions and prominent businesses in the state, such as Disney World and Universal Studios, “will get the attention of the powerful.”

Since the DoJ refuses to let Florida return Zimmerman's legally owned firearm which was not used in the commision of a crime, Author Brad Thor has offered to buy Zimmerman a new gun and some ammo

http://twitchy.com/2013/07/20/author-brad-thor-offers-to-buy-george-zimmerman-gun-of-his-choice/

Zimmerman is a legal US resident, not a convicted criminal, not under indictment or restraining order, not a fugitive, has no history of mental illness, was never dishonorably discharged from the armed forces

So why can't Zimmerman have a gun?

Since the DoJ refuses to let Florida return Zimmerman's legally owned firearm which was not used in the commision of a crime, Author Brad Thor has offered to buy Zimmerman a new gun and some ammo

http://twitchy.com/2...-of-his-choice/

Zimmerman is a legal US resident, not a convicted criminal, not under indictment or restraining order, not a fugitive, has no history of mental illness, was never dishonorably discharged from the armed forces

So why can't Zimmerman have a gun?

On the one hand it seems ridiculous to connect the pettiness of the Jacksonville team to the pettiness of the DoJ, but the state played games to keep any of GZ's family from attending the trial, now the DoJ is playing games for political reasons. GZ's 9mm has no bearing on a civil rights case. Doesn't really matter, GZ, if not already, will have a !@#$ing arsenal donated to him.

yeah, but, that's like...you're not supposed to know about that!

On the one hand it seems ridiculous to connect the pettiness of the Jacksonville team to the pettiness of the DoJ, but the state played games to keep any of GZ's family from attending the trial, now the DoJ is playing games for political reasons. GZ's 9mm has no bearing on a civil rights case. Doesn't really matter, GZ, if not already, will have a !@#$ing arsenal donated to him.

he needs to take the offensive soon. His civil rights are being g taken from him. How many amendments and laws are being restricted against him?

he needs to take the offensive soon. His civil rights are being g taken from him. How many amendments and laws are being restricted against him?

The DOJ is holding all evidence leading into a civil rights trial.

I don't disagree, but imagine what he is going up against. If he does raise hell, he's going to need many millions of citizens backing him up. This !@#$ing government is out of control. Scandal after (Chicago style politics) !@#$ing scandal and the MSM is keeping a majority of the voting public in the dark. The DoJ refuses to take up cases that are clearly wrong. The New Black Panthers put out a bounty and the DoJ ignores it? The IRS becomes political and injures opponents to the Prez? How long has it been, and those bastards haven't even contacted the agreived parties? Then there are Benghazi, Detroit and Obamacare. How many of his actions/inactions can be explained away by FUBAR?

I don't disagree, but imagine what he is going up against. If he does raise hell, he's going to need many millions of citizens backing him up. This !@#$ing government is out of control. Scandal after (Chicago style politics) !@#$ing scandal and the MSM is keeping a majority of the voting public in the dark. The DoJ refuses to take up cases that are clearly wrong. The New Black Panthers put out a bounty and the DoJ ignores it? The IRS becomes political and injures opponents to the Prez? How long has it been, and those bastards haven't even contacted the agreived parties? Then there are Benghazi, Detroit and Obamacare. How many of his actions/inactions can be explained away by FUBAR?

you have to look at it thru dumbass glasses.

The MSM to a dumbass is the MSM and not bad.

The DOJ is not doing anything wrong. Smoke, fire, interests of public...its doing its job.

The NBP are harmless quacks like the KKK. No one pays attention to them.

The IRS did something bad? I bet it was a mistake by just a few people. I haven't seen it much in the news, it can't be that bad.

ObamaCare has commercials that make sense. It seems like a good idea.

bengahzi was a long time ago, get over it. Obama cannot be responsible for everything.

Detroit, look...its just rough times. Who buys American cars nowadays? Things will get better, besides...I live in ____.

We just have to take time to recover from all the housing crisis and stuff from the bad economy.

The DOJ is holding all evidence leading into a civil rights trial.

I don't know. Maybe we need Glenn Beck to come out of his void and let him out to maybe work something up. He does it better then Rush, Palin, O'Reily, etc. This could be a liberal cause taken up by conservatives and really set a stage for the next elections.

Imagine, the Right going hard after Constitutional law and civil rights!

you have to look at it thru dumbass glasses.

The MSM to a dumbass is the MSM and not bad.

The DOJ is not doing anything wrong. Smoke, fire, interests of public...its doing its job.

The NBP are harmless quacks like the KKK. No one pays attention to them.

The IRS did something bad? I bet it was a mistake by just a few people. I haven't seen it much in the news, it can't be that bad.

ObamaCare has commercials that make sense. It seems like a good idea.

bengahzi was a long time ago, get over it. Obama cannot be responsible for everything.

Detroit, look...its just rough times. Who buys American cars nowadays? Things will get better, besides...I live in ____.

We just have to take time to recover from all the housing crisis and stuff from the bad economy.

I don't know. Maybe we need Glenn Beck to come out of his void and let him out to maybe work something up. He does it better then Rush, Palin, O'Reily, etc. This could be a liberal cause taken up by conservatives and really set a stage for the next elections.

Imagine, the Right going hard after Constitutional law and civil rights!

Follow the "Yellow Brick Road".