We need a QB!

I'm OK with Fitz. What I'm not OK with is the fact that we now know he was fairly significantly injured midway through last season and it affected his play. And yet, we kept him in. To me that means we have zero confidence (justified) in our backups. With the moves we're making, I'd hate to see one injury to Fitz end our season.

Thoughts?

Edited by stevestojan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure no one has talked about this. Thanks for bringing it up

Sorry (really). I was trapped in Mario Land for a while. Ill delete the thread, but it seemed QB talk was very scattered about.

I don't think not even 1 person can diagree with the Bills needing another QB. The problem right now is cap space. At this point idc who they bring just as long as Thigpen is not the #2...

Right. If he's so bad that a half broken Fitz is a better option, I'm not really sure why he's even on the roster.

Sorry (really). I was trapped in Mario Land for a while. Ill delete the thread, but it seemed QB talk was very scattered about.

Right. If he's so bad that a half broken Fitz is a better option, I'm not really sure why he's even on the roster.

Actually this really hasn't been brought up. It has all been about DE, LB, LT, WR and me pushing a CB. We do have to look at the QB situation as well. I think I recall Nix saying we would draft one. We definitely need more depth all over the board. Next year at this time, we should be pretty damn close to having almost everything plugged. I am worried about what we have behind Fitz...IDK where we find an answer this year

I really like Russel Wilson. He was awesome at NC State before he completely dominated the Big 10 last year with an average bunch of WRs and TEs. Extremely clutch, a live arm and very mobile. Mature behind his years. Take him in the 4th-5th round and develop him behind Fitz. He'll start somewhere in a few year if not sooner.

I'm OK with Fitz. What I'm not OK with is the fact that we now know he was fairly significantly injured midway through last season and it affected his play. And yet, we kept him in. To me that means we have zero confidence (justified) in our backups. With the moves we're making, I'd hate to see one injury to Fitz end our season.

Thoughts?

WE, didn't do anything! It was Gailey's choice to keep playing Fitz, and keep him throwing game after game knowing he had an injured QB under center. :blink:

To me, it makes no sense having Tyler Thigpin even on the roster for millions if you don't trust him as a back up.to take over should the starter need to sit! The same can be said about Brad Smith who was underutilized all year as the WC option, and instead became the #2 WR. I'm not gonna harp on the fact that the Bills should have been trying to run the ball more often after Gailey knew Fitz was injured. Even with Spiller & Smith at RB they could have taken considerable pressure off of Fitz by running more.

What I don't get is Gailey is a supposed QB guru, why doesn't the team have a young QB on the roster like the Patriots have in Ryan Mallett so Gailey can be grooming him to become the franchise QB one day.

What I don't get is Gailey is a supposed QB guru, why doesn't the team have a young QB on the roster like the Patriots have in Ryan Mallett so Gailey can be grooming him to become the franchise QB one day.

Unfortunately Fitz is Chan's guy, despite his faults. I don't agree with the short-sightedness in not planning for the future but it is what it is.

WE, didn't do anything! It was Gailey's choice to keep playing Fitz, and keep him throwing game after game knowing he had an injured QB under center. :blink:

Here's a thought. Possibly Gailey's reason besides his previous connection to Thigpen is he wants no competition for the starting QB job. He was trying to build a career backups conifedence and no 2nd stringer was going to create any doubt.Thigpen is the perfect choice he sucks.

Thigpen and Brad Smith were basically useless last year. Thigpens salary at 3 million is enough that an upgrade should be easily doable. I don't even understand why Thigpen is even on a NFL roster. We need an upgrade at the #2 or risk flushing a season with a major injury too Fitz.

Thoughts?

I think there's something fundamentally wrong with having a QB you're just "OK" with.

I'm sure after last season, the Niners were ok with Alex Smith. He performed more than adequately in most areas. Yet, Lo and behold, they're working out Peyton Manning! Why? because they know what everyone else who isn't blinded by fanhood knows.

"OK" will not get you to the next level. And if by some miracle, it does, it will not keep you there. NFL Franchises serious about winning championships should always be looking to upgrade "OK" players.

Still, I'm curious, -what makes people "OK" with Fitz? Is it the fact that he threw more INT's than anyone else in the league last season? OR is it because he CHOSE to play hurt half the season for fear of losing his lucrative job?

Whatever the reasoning is, It is INSANE to build a dominating defense, just so some "OK" QB can keep them on the field ALL DAY. Sooner, or later, that will make them look bad. -No offense to the OP, but something else needs to be worked out. F@#k a backup. We need a guy that's looking to take Fitzpatrick's job. If for no other reason than to assure some type of quality control, and consistency when it comes to his performance.

That's my solution. Keep Fitz looking over his shoulder, and I guarantee you the beard (and the afternoons) won't be that long.

Edited by #34fan

I think there's something fundamentally wrong with having a QB you're just "OK" with.

I'm sure after last season, the Niners were ok with Alex Smith. He performed more than adequately in most areas. Yet, Lo and behold, they're working out Peyton Manning! Why? because they know what everyone else who isn't blinded by fanhood knows.

"OK" will not get you to the next level. And if by some miracle, it does, it will not keep you there. NFL Franchises serious about winning championships should always be looking to upgrade "OK" players.

Still, I'm curious, -what makes people "OK" with Fitz? Is it the fact that he threw more INT's than anyone else in the league last season? OR is it because he CHOSE to play hurt half the season for fear of losing his lucrative job?

Whatever the reasoning is, It is INSANE to build a dominating defense, just so some "OK" QB can keep them on the field ALL DAY. Sooner, or later, that will make them look bad. -No offense to the OP, but something else needs to be worked out. F@#k a backup. We need a guy that's looking to take Fitzpatrick's job. If for no other reason than to assure some type of quality control, and consistency when it comes to his performance.

That's my solution. Keep Fitz looking over his shoulder, and I guarantee you the beard (and the afternoons) won't be that long.

Your very long post about the word "OK" has me thinking of two words. First is Trent. Second one rhymes with Pilfer.

This is THE most insightful post on this board in a long time. Congratulations #34fan. You are an intelligent person.

Fitzpatrick is a weak link in this weak offensive unit.

I was thinking this morning of Mario Williams getting tired of being on the field so long because the offense goes 3 and out so much. I see him getting bored very quick!

Again, congratulations on your awesome post.