WTH are the Dolphins thinking?

Not that I'm defending the Fish here, because I hate them as much as the next Bills fan... but looking at it objectively, they have a new coaching staff and the scheme/philosophy is going to change. They may be looking to do similar things as the Bills did in 2010. Purge some of the previous regime's talent and begin their rebuilding mainly by "building through the draft" as we remember Nix saying would be the main focus here.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I'm defending the Fish here, because I hate them as much as the next Bills fan... but looking at it objectively, they have a new coaching staff and the scheme/philosophy is going to change. They may be looking to do similar things as the Bills did in 2010. Purge some of the previous regime's talent and begin their rebuilding mainly by "building through the draft" as we remember Nix saying would be the main focus here.

I don't know how the Fish will do this year although it strikes me as quite odd that they are dismantling their quite successful 3-4 scheme and installing a 4-3 instead. It's similar to what the Bills did 2 years ago except in reverse and it's even worse in that Miami's D has been quite good the last few years.

Why would you want to tinker with something that isn't broken?

It makes zero sense to me.

Like I stated, I think the move is moronic to trade away a #1 WR, and a talent like Marshalls for 2 #3's. Marshall was in trouble again, but not to the extent Lynch was! Also, lots of players hit that proverbial edge where one more mistake and they suffer a big suspension and never make another. Example was Bruce Smith who's next mistake would have cost him a years suspension, he never made another. DE Jared Allen is still in the same boat as Bruce, if he screws up again he is gone for a year. Minnesota took a chance on him a few years ago and Allen led the league in sacks last year with 22.

Apparently, you and your Miami friends didn't watch the pro bowl either :D

yes.. he is a number one wr like lee evans... i believe lee evans in buffalo was better than marshall in miami (and i can care less he was in the pro bowl as a fin) Miami is a party city and he was bound to make another mistake, like a wife stabbing again.

Not trying to be facetious here -- Hey, I lived in South Florida till right before Mandich passed, so I know a bit about the fans. And the two 3rds they got in return might be a good trade someday for the Fins. But what about the timing? The first move in free agency? Any sane free agent QB would have to look at that and say... "Yeah. No..." imo.

lived in miami area for about 20 years. i know miami fans. not all fans love it, but 95% of miami fans are bandwagon fans anyways. but all the real fans knew right away when he got in trouble he was gone.

Well i heard on ESPN that Flynn is going to Miami for a visit tomorrow & if the can get a good WR in the draft they are where they were last year & maybe a bit ahead (depending on Flynn)

Heck you never know if they beg Jason Taylor back or bribe him with a couple of Million $ they could be a threat stranger things have happened , they did pretty good last year with all the injuries they had so i would under estimate them at all !!

If you are a Dolphins fan and they sign Flynn, then you are thinking exactly what Buffalo fans dis after trading for Rob Johnson. Many thought we had the QB for the futre. They will think the same thing. Still amazes me that no one could tell Johnson(and Losman) were just too dumb to play the position. Flynn may be smart enough but his noodle arm will not cut it in the NFL, West coast system or not.

Well i heard on ESPN that Flynn is going to Miami for a visit tomorrow & if the can get a good WR in the draft they are where they were last year & maybe a bit ahead (depending on Flynn)

Heck you never know if they beg Jason Taylor back or bribe him with a couple of Million $ they could be a threat stranger things have happened , they did pretty good last year with all the injuries they had so i would under estimate them at all !!

Not saying it won't happen, but was ESPN making the same claims that NFLN were making that Williams had left Buffalo Tuesday night? If so, their credibility might not be what it once was.

I don't know how the Fish will do this year although it strikes me as quite odd that they are dismantling their quite successful 3-4 scheme and installing a 4-3 instead. It's similar to what the Bills did 2 years ago except in reverse and it's even worse in that Miami's D has been quite good the last few years.

Why would you want to tinker with something that isn't broken?

It makes zero sense to me.

From what I'm seeing, 4-3 will be the base defense but it sounds like they will use a hybrid like a lot of teams these days... Really, several teams saying they are going to run a 4-3 or 3-4 "base" isn't set in stone any more.. 40-45% of our scheme the last 2 years was actually in a 4-3 nickel package, no? Kelsay was talking about that in this article: link

A couple of quotes from articles on the Dolphins new defensive scheme:

link

Philbin said the defense would use elements of both the 4-3 and 3-4: “I’m not married to one particular scheme. Without confusing our own guys, we want to present the opposition a variety of looks and make their offense practice a bunch of things so they get a little tentative.”

link

Although it’s base defense was a 3-4 last season, Coyle noted Miami only played out of the formation about 25 percent of the time. With a majority of the league deciding to air it out, it’s more important that teams remain flexible enough to make substitutions.

“It’s not about 3-4 or 4-3,” Coyle said. “Whatever we end up evolving to—and right now it’s an ongoing process as we’re evaluating players and talking about scheme and how they fit in—it’s going to be about execution.”

I think in this day and age defensive schemes depend on the offense they're up against from week to week. With all the passing these days, I would think a nickel defense is used as much as anything like Kelsay stated.

Edited by Pigskin Altar

Yeah Nix mentioned that the Bills were in 4-man nickel or dime 50% of the defensive snaps last year so I know of what you speak.

The question in my mind is why a team even feels the need to talk about what sort of schemes they are gonna run… especially if doing so will only confuse people (like myself) and open you up to more second guessing?

I really think Flynn signs with the Dolphins solely because of Philbin, and I fret that he may be the best Phins QB in a long time. That is total speculation of course, but I think Flynn knows he has to best chance of succeeding in an offense he knows with a coach who loves him, and if the Phins push hard for him, it tells me that Philbin loves him after watching him every day for a few years. If he signs with the Phins, I predict he's pretty good. If he signs with the Seahwaks or anyone else, I think it's a much greater chance he flames out. He looks very good to me, and always has. This is not a Rob Johnson situation.

Peyton Manning informed the Dolphins he won't sign with them. so upon learning this they might step up the chase for Flynn. I'm hoping they don't get him because there is the chance he is the real deal and not a Matt Leinhart- Kevin Kolb. Philbin might not even be the real deal either, don't forget he didn't even call the offensive plays during the games Mike McCarthy did.

This years Dolphins team is starting to look a lot like the 2010 Buffalo Bills the way they are switching around the defense 3-4 to 4-3, stating that 6-10 to 4-12 perhaps this year?

The biggest reason Brandon Marshall never lived up to his potential in Miami was the lack of a top QB, watch what he does in Chicago now that he is back with Cutler. This should be another nail in Ireland's coffin for phins fans. Don't forget this franchise had a shot at hiring Jeff Fisher and blew it because Ireland didn't want to give up any say in player decisions.

I'm loving that the Dolphins are looking more inept then usual, I'm hoping they keep Jeff Ireland forever :lol: Rex Ryan keeps forgetting to run the ball and just keeps running his mouth. The Jets keep dumping their good RB's for not so good RB's. The QB has no confidence anymore, and they just hired an OC who was an ex HC / O line coach that has never called offensive plays before.

This year could be a good year for the Buffalo Bills, if they can only stay healthy!

Make way for the Miami Dolfelons at the position of perennial bottom-dwellers of the AFC East. The team is quickly gaining a terrible reputation, going after 3 people publicly (2 coaches and Manning) and losing out has their fan base fuming. Now, they are reportedly trying to low-ball Flynn, thinking he'll take a smaller offer WHILE VISITING SEATTLE in order to sign with Philbin, his former coordinator. I truly hope that he signs with Seattle and Tanenhill goes before the Dolphins' pick, leaving them with not QB of the future. Perception is everything in signing free agents. Buffalo has been taking major steps at shaking the perception of being a franchise in disarray and it looks like Miami is taking up that public mantle and running with it. Here's to them becoming the new Raiders East!

Dolphins? Didn't they sweep us last year? Just sayin' <_<

Yep. After the rash of injuries and with a healthier and better team than they'll have this year.

It also doesn't suck that the Jets are imploding. Last I heard Sanchez was calling some teammates "gutless" for calling him out anonymously.

This, plus Bart Scott wants out and Burress is gone.

Marshall was better than any WR they'll get in the draft this year. And they lost Mike Nolan as DC and replaced him with a rookie DC, so that's a big downgrade. And we'll see if Flynn a) leaves Seattle and b) turns into anything better than Kolb.

Yep. After the rash of injuries and with a healthier and better team than they'll have this year.

This, plus Bart Scott wants out and Burress is gone.

Marshall was better than any WR they'll get in the draft this year. And they lost Mike Nolan as DC and replaced him with a rookie DC, so that's a big downgrade. And we'll see if Flynn a) leaves Seattle and b) turns into anything better than Kolb.

Like I said, they are looking so much like the 2010 BB"s

Then,

Appearing on Sports Center Friday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Dolphins have "emerged as the favorites" to sign free agent QB Matt Flynn.

"I think the Dolphins are the team to beat," added Schefter. The Dolphins are expected to be the highest bidder, though Yahoo's Jason Cole reports the team is currently "low-balling" Flynn, believing he'll give in just to reunite with coach Joe Philbin. It's hardly a shocking report considering the shenanigans of the Dolphins front office the past couple of years.

http://www.rotoworld...4949/matt-flynn

This GM is a complete and utter moron, how this owner was fooled into retaining him is beyond me. Ireland is taking it to Matt Millen levels :lol: I'm hoping Flynn gets pissed at Miami because of Ireland and signs with Seattle

I really think Flynn signs with the Dolphins solely because of Philbin, and I fret that he may be the best Phins QB in a long time. That is total speculation of course, but I think Flynn knows he has to best chance of succeeding in an offense he knows with a coach who loves him, and if the Phins push hard for him, it tells me that Philbin loves him after watching him every day for a few years. If he signs

with the Phins, I predict he's pretty good. If he signs with the Seahwaks or anyone else, I think it's a much greater

chance he flames out. He looks very good to me, and always has. This is not a Rob Johnson situation.

I completely agree with this...I'm really pulling for seatle tho!

What makes any more the "real deal" than Kolb or Rob Johnson?

PTR

the teams that signed those one game wonders did not have a coach on staff who personally worked with the QB for 4 years so as able to make a valid assessment of his future success.

I know it takes Chan and the boys a year or two of personal scouting to be able to tell if a player sucks or not - but 4 years should be a good enough window

stop being hater just because its not the Bills pursuing him