Ralph Wilson and One Bills Drive Appreciation Thread

Kelly is the same guy who didn't want to come to Buffalo in 1986 and here he is with his wife more than 25 years later as our recruiting ambassador to get players in Buffalo and get them comfortable. No matter if you like him or not one thing is for sure in my mind the Bills might not even exist without him. Thank you Jim for still being a leader and wearing the red white a blue proud.

I was so impressed with the Kelly interview at BB.com that I almost started a new thread, which I seldom do.

I've watched his career closely from the beginning (University of Miami) and one thing he's never been was a good public speaker or a very polished person.

After his playing days were over there was a short stint as a game analyst for one of the networks. It didn't last long because the guy is just not terribly articulate.

But somewhere on his journey, life has really burnished the steel of his character and his interview from earlier today is Jim Kelly at his finest. Jimbo seems like a beer and whiskey guy… but he's aged like a fine wine.

Kelly was alternately thoughtful, enthusiastic, and factual and throughout the entire interview there were no wasted words, no stuttering, no cliches, just a steady stream of really good takes… from a guy who has continued to get wiser as he gracefully ages before our very eyes.

http://www.buffalobi...nnelName=Recent

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

BUT... BUT.... BUT....Ralph is cheap!

oh wait 97 million, 50 mill guaranteed....good lord....NOBODY can ever make that statement again!

wow what a signing, good job goes to Buddy Nix, Ralph Wilson, and even the 3 headed monster :P

Ralph was cheap - he did not give 9 digit contract. :devil:

[ yeah is sounds as stupid as all of the other comments about Ralph being cheap ]

I was so impressed with the Kelly interview at BB.com that I almost started a new thread, which I seldom do.

I've watched his career closely from the beginning (University of Miami) and one thing he's never been was a good public speaker or a very polished person.

After his playing days were over there was a short stint as a game analyst for one of the networks. It didn't last long because the guy is just not terribly articulate.

But somewhere on his journey, life has really burnished the steel of his character and his interview from earlier today is Jim Kelly at his finest. Jimbo seems like a beer and whiskey guy… but he's aged like a fine wine.

Kelly was alternately thoughtful, enthusiastic, and factual and throughout the entire interview there were no wasted words, no stuttering, no cliches, just a steady stream of really good takes… from a guy who has continued to get wiser as he gracefully ages before our very eyes.

http://www.buffalobi...nnelName=Recent

That Kelly interview was terrific. Thx for linking it. That's a must-see for Bills fans. He has really turned into quite an ambassador.

That Kelly interview was terrific. Thx for linking it. That's a must-see for Bills fans. He has really turned into quite an ambassador.

The other thing Kelly is that I do feel like Jimbo was very instrumental in closing the deal.

The Kelly's and Mario and his girlfriend spent a large portion of Wednesday night together at the Kelly house.

I would not discount Jimbo's role in making this come true.

The other thing Kelly is that I do feel like Jimbo was very instrumental in closing the deal.

The Kelly's and Mario and his girlfriend spent a large portion of Wednesday night together at the Kelly house.

I would not discount Jimbo's role in making this come true.

Absolutely. A lot of stuff happened that all worked together to make this thing happen. Surely Ralph opening the pocketbook, the brass going all in on this guy and treating him like a man, the WEATHER I really think led to him having a good feeling throughout his visit, Kyle had a huge impact along with the Kellys, other players and their wives (like Brad Smith's mentioned by Nix) helped seal the deal. Overdorf even deserves a lot of credit. Mario is not a big city guy, which helped a ton, but they played their cards perfectly.

To me, after following this closely, and watching almost all of the interviews afterward, think the delay was really all about the agent knowing Mario was going to sign, and doing his job to get the very most he could out of the Bills knowing their desperation. Everything worked out, and even with the huge contract, I don't think we overpaid.

… even with the huge contract, I don't think we overpaid.

I was not hot and heavy for Williams before free agency started. Many here expressed the concerns I felt that we would need to overpay for him and that his 53 career sacks was not earth shaking.

However after watching the interview with the guy and getting a sense of the kind of person he is, and seeing the community and national reaction, I feel pretty certain that the Bills will not regret signing him to this contract.

Nice to see our own Jim Kelly having prominent role in recruiting our new no-longer free agent.

I use that word because Williams gave him a mention in his press conference.Jim apparently talked up the joys of living in western New York. Jill helped too! Jim had nothing to gain from this. As far as I know, he has no official position with the team. So he did it because he cares.

Jimmy, hoist a cold one on me. :beer:

Just wanted to say Thanks to Buddy Nix.

The more I hear him speak and then actually do what he says, the more I trust him. I did not think I would trust a front office after the whole Tom Donahoe debacle. But Buddy's a real straight shooter and as a fan, I really appreciate that. He is making it enjoyable to listen to his interviews without searching for Bernanke-esque double-speak the way every interview with Donahoe was.

Thank Buddy. Heckuva a job you are doing!

i thought post this was for our Ralphie boy?

Thanks Mr. Wilson for all you have done and creating and then keeping our beloved Buffalo Bills here. I hope you get your wish and see us go super bowling again soon. You have entrusted the right folks this time and we are in good hands. You also have united us, as enthusiastic/ rabid fans again.

kindest regards

eric

Thank you for giving the bills a chance to possibly win a championship while you still grace us with your presense.......you have proven your doubters wrong and shown that you really do want to win and continue the WINNING legacy of the Buffalo Bills wich has been gone for so long but not forgotten.

Thank you

TSW equivalent of premature ejaculation.

I doubt he reads the board and I am sure he has learned to tune out the public.

I have been a critic, but I would love for them to make a run for Wilson at the end, and have the Bills stay in Buffalo. I will help lead the charge to build a statue for him