Buddy Nix is a good GM

While everyone was calling Ralph cheap and the Bills a Mickey Mouse franchise for sitting on $20M in cap space in 2011, Buddy Nix knew he was going to roll money into this free agency period. Maybe he had his eye on Mario Williams all along and was saving his budget for today? If he did then it was a brilliant move. Bravo, Buddy.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1331677199[/url]' post='2403945']

While everyone was calling Ralph cheap and the Bills a Mickey Mouse franchise for sitting on $20M in cap space in 2011, Buddy Nix knew he was going to roll money into this free agency period. Maybe he had his eye on Mario Williams all along and was saving his budget for today? If he did then it was a brilliant move. Bravo, Buddy.

PTR

I just said the same thing to a buddy of mine. If Nix uses all this cap money he's saved and actually signs Wlliams... he comes off looking like a genius.

PTR

having spent many days fight the anti Nix crowd with you , I am hoping they hit a home run tonight

PTR

If you don't mind too much, maybe we could wait to give the Bills credit until AFTER they sign Mario...

If you don't mind too much, maybe we could wait to give the Bills credit until AFTER they sign Mario...

My point is he maneuvered the Bills cap to put us in this position. Short of pulling a gun and holding his mom hostage you can't make him sign if he doesn't want to. But considering the news of late he wants to.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

Too bad us Pollyanas are so stupid for sticking with Nix and his FO... :thumbsup:

I just said the same thing to a buddy of mine. If Nix uses all this cap money he's saved and actually signs Wlliams... he comes off looking like a genius.

I would agree. Granted, this is a pretty big if. A REALLY big if. But if Nix pulls it off, if he does indeed manage to get Williams to sign he will have corrected one of our biggest weaknesses with a superstar player, leaving us to concentrate on other weaknesses during the draft.

I'm picturing the line with Dareus, K. Williams, M. Williams and a healthy Merriman and getting chills. Hey, I can dream can't I?

I love that Buffalo is going after Super Mario and Meachem and might just cry if they were able to sign both of them.

With all that being said what happens to all this excitement if we don't get them? Does Nix become a failure again to the many nay sayers here?

Personally I think he is doing a good job and has finally given a clear plan for the Bills. So whether or not we get the big free agents I am still happy with what he's doing.

I would agree. Granted, this is a pretty big if. A REALLY big if. But if Nix pulls it off, if he does indeed manage to get Williams to sign he will have corrected one of our biggest weaknesses with a superstar player, leaving us to concentrate on other weaknesses during the draft.

I'm picturing the line with Dareus, K. Williams, M. Williams and a healthy Merriman and getting chills. Hey, I can dream can't I?

And what a happy dream it is!

It's encouraging but they need to close the deal.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

Buddy has set it up so we have the stable ready, and lots of water for him. I agree that we must must must get this deal done. But it takes two to get the deal done.

PTR

Buddy Nix will be considered a good GM when this team is a playoff contender and actually making the playoffs and doing well in them. Until then its just another GM that still hasn't gotten us into the playoffs.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

Buddy has set it up so we have the stable ready, and lots of water for him. I agree that we must must must get this deal done. But it takes two to get the deal done.

I think its done. The biggest FA outside of Manning isn't going to waste time. If Buddy Nix didn't have a deal he and his agent liked he wouldn't be in Buffalo right now

Buddy Nix will be considered a good GM when this team is a playoff contender and actually making the playoffs and doing well in them. Until then its just another GM that still hasn't gotten us into the playoffs.

I think its done. The biggest FA outside of Manning isn't going to waste time. If Buddy Nix didn't have a deal he and his agent liked he wouldn't be in Buffalo right now

You make a great point. Mario doesn't have to fly from city to city to field offers. Clearly the preliminary offer is in the stratosphere.

I'll hold off on calling him a "good GM" until he can put together a team that puts together a few years of making the playoffs. Until then he gets an "incomplete."

That being said, I'm happy with what I've seen this offseason (and I liked last year's draft too.) For years I've complained about the treadmill the Bills get on by letting their best players go and replacing them with rooks. Finally the Bills signed their own guys and are looking to make strides forward instead of treading water. Even if the Bills don't land Mario this offseason has already been better than most in the past decade.