Buddy Nix is a good GM

Buddy Nix has proven to have had a fiscal plan for this rebuild. However, it is all an illusion if we don't WIN a playoff game. I like his methods for setting the team up, but so far the players and coaches themselves have only mustered a 10 and 22 record so far. This time next year will paint a much clearer picture.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard the comment on ESPN that BUDDY Nix would be "vilified" if the Mario deal doesn't go through (per Adam Schefter).

I disagree.

Since it's now early Thursday & Mario's still here, how could you put all the blame on Nix; he's probably doing everything a Buffalo GM could.

Well, there's some that considers it to be either signed, or failed. And I can see why... we don't get a consolation prize for losing the Mario sweepstakes.

That being said, I think he's doing OK, it's just Buffalo is a hard place to sell players on. (No offense, guys)

'The Bills' offer eclipses the six-year, $91.5 million deal that Chicago gave defensive end Julius Peppers in 2010, a source has told The News. Peppers got $42 million guaranteed, and the package made him the league's top earning defender. It's believed Williams' decision will not be solely based on financial considerations. He wants to feel comfortable with his new team and have a good chance to win.'

After all we have seen them do over 2+ days and drop that kind of an offer, Kudos to you Mr. Nix. We will have given it the best and most reasonable shot anyone can ask for.

'The Bills' offer eclipses the six-year, $91.5 million deal that Chicago gave defensive end Julius Peppers in 2010, a source has told The News. Peppers got $42 million guaranteed, and the package made him the league's top earning defender. It's believed Williams' decision will not be solely based on financial considerations. He wants to feel comfortable with his new team and have a good chance to win.'

After all we have seen them do over 2+ days and drop that kind of an offer, Kudos to you Mr. Nix. We will have given it the best and most reasonable shot anyone can ask for.

It's very true....I wonder what all the Nix haters are saying this morning?? For many, they believed Nix wouldn't even attempt to get Mario, others believed "Ralph is cheap" and wouldn't pay him even if Nix wanted him, and then there were others that simply chose to believe what Nix said in public. You cannot blame Nix for this, you can only blame the history prior to Nix's arrival: Mario may not want to come here due to the difficulty in getting over that hump to a team in contention for the playoffs and Super Bowl year-in and year-out, but at least Nix is showing the world that for the right player who can drastically improve their team, the BILLS are willing to pay a player....and that's something this FO hasn't done in a very long time

It's very true....I wonder what all the Nix haters are saying this morning?? For many, they believed Nix wouldn't even attempt to get Mario, others believed "Ralph is cheap" and wouldn't pay him even if Nix wanted him, and then there were others that simply chose to believe what Nix said in public. You cannot blame Nix for this, you can only blame the history prior to Nix's arrival: Mario may not want to come here due to the difficulty in getting over that hump to a team in contention for the playoffs and Super Bowl year-in and year-out, but at least Nix is showing the world that for the right player who can drastically improve their team, the BILLS are willing to pay a player....and that's something this FO hasn't done in a very long time

I admit I had the first pitch fork ready and have been one of his biggest detractor, but I can't say anything about his attempt with this move other than good job Buddy. He had given it as good a shot as anyone in the NFL, its just up to Mario if he wants to be in Buffalo or not.

And how many people on this board tried to "educate" me on how "[i am] delusional if I think Nix has control of the money." blah blah blah? He obviously knew from the money guys that he had permission to go all out or he wouldn't have been talking up their FA aggressiveness for this season.

Nix is a straight shooter, knows what the team needs, and has the backing of the management to do what he can to make them winners. It's not an easy fix - but I don't see what the current regime has done blatantly wrong to try to fix it. Maybe making the inexperienced Edwards the first DC was the one clear error - but even that they've addressed now.

I have to say though - at this point (and price) I'm having mixed feelings about what I want to have happen.

I'd sure hate to see them get locked into a guy who doesn't ultimately provide much.

Don Banks' article (from the TBD front page but linked below) in SI was a pretty reasonable - and sobering - argument against Mario Williams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/03/14/free.agency/index.html?twobillsdrive

Edited by BobChalmers

And how many people on this board tried to "educate" me on how "[i am] delusional if I think Nix has control of the money." blah blah blah? He obviously knew from the money guys that he had permission to go all out or he wouldn't have been talking up their FA aggressiveness for this season.

Nix is a straight shooter, knows what the team needs, and has the backing of the management to do what he can to make them winners. It's not an easy fix - but I don't see what the current regime has done blatantly wrong to try to fix it. Maybe making the inexperienced Edwards the first DC was the one clear error - but even that they've addressed now.

I have to say though - at this point (and price) I'm having mixed feelings about what I want to have happen.

I'd sure hate to see them get locked into a guy who doesn't ultimately provide much.

Don Banks' article (from the TBD front page but linked below) in SI was a pretty reasonable - and sobering - argument against Mario Williams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/03/14/free.agency/index.html?twobillsdrive

Next year, teams will be required to spend at the minimum 89% of the cap. Teams such as Buffalo and Cincinatti will no longer get away with spending at a below par level compared to the rest of the teams. Your fear that too much money will be wasted on a player who might not be worthy of such a gilded contract is misplaced. What the Bills need more than ever is adding talent to a non-competing roster. The Bills have not made the playoffs in 12 years and counting. As it stands they have the longest drought for not being in the playoffs. Over the past decade or even more the Bills have had only one winning season. Their long-term dismal record has occurred in a system designed for parity.

You are concluding that Williams is a risk signing because he had diminishing stats in Houston. There was a good reason for that: He was playing out of position as a LB when he clearly was more suited as a hands down DE. The article by Banks also indicated that Houston's defense continued to thrive with the injured Williams's on the sidelines. There is a good reason why Houston continue to do well in his absence: They had a lot of taletned players besides Williams.

Prior to the draft is the period of time where teams vie for free agents. If you look around you will notice that most teams are robustly involved in adding talent to their respective rosters. Now is the time for this lackluster franchise to get seriously involved in the action like the rest of the teams are. There is noting exceptional about offering a talented player a lot of money to play for your franchise. It is the norm. It is the cost of doing business.

There is noting exceptional about offering a talented player a lot of money to play for your franchise. It is the norm. It is the cost of doing business.

There is everything exceptional about the level of spending they are attempting here for this one player.

Sure - maybe they should have done more other years - but that doesn't mean spending the most on a single defensive player in the league isn't a big decision. Their prior history only weighs on this psychologically - not mathematically or practically.

By definition - it's the biggest risk ANY team of all 32 is taking on a single defender.

There is everything exceptional about the level of spending they are attempting here for this one player.

Sure - maybe they should have done more other years - but that doesn't mean spending the most on a single defensive player in the league isn't a big decision. Their prior history only weighs on this psychologically - not mathematically or practically.

By definition - it's the biggest risk ANY team of all 32 is taking on a single defender.

If you think that the Bills are going to get the most talented defensive free agent player on the market without paying the going rate (established by Julius Peppers) then you are mistaken. You have to remember that it is the Bills' organization that made the stunning high offer to Williams, not the other way around. Why did they do that? They knew what it would take to sign him. It is the Bills' organization that has put together the financial package to entice him to sign on.

There is no such think as a big contract risk free free agent signing. You don't think there are health related risks in signing Peyton Manning to an exhorbitant contract? Yet there are many teams vying for his services. The high roller cost/benefit calculation is part of the NFL business environment. It's like going to a high stakes poker game. If you can't handle the pressure then simply don't get invovled in the game.

The psychology of the Bills is the psychology of losing. If you want to change it you certainly don't do it by being passive. I don't know whether the Bills are going to be able to sign Williams. It is in Williams's court. If he decides to move on to another team then at least the Bills did their best to get it don. I''m not going to criticize them for aggressively trying. That in itself is a good sign.

In a way, I share your apprehension regarding what the Bills will get for their money on the field. Also, this appeared to me to be a very non-Buddy type move. In two years, he has not shown so much aggressiveness in going after one player. The Clabo situation was the closest so far to an attempt to get a high priced FA. Was it part of his plan to first take care of the base and then fill in the last bits with high priced FA ? Or is it an attempt to generate excitement in the fan/sponsor base after what has been a disappointing season ? (i.e. is this a Donahoe type move ?)

Having said all that, I think this is a move that helps the psyche of the team and their perception by the national media. If he indeed gets to be a significant presence at one end, he can funnel the play to the other side where the Kelsay/Merriman are more likely to make plays also. We have the money and maybe we should spend it for a change and see the results.

I think you are all misreading being selective with being timid. The attitude here at times is we have to sign anybody for any amount just to prove we can do it. Buddy makes offers that make sense for the Bills. If a player, such as Clabo, doesn't sign that's their prerogative. Mario Williams was one of the few players you break the bank for, and Buddy did just that. Again I say...BRAVO.

PTR

Let’s give major props to the front office. I think we all understand the importance of the Mario Williams signing and what it does for this defence, this franchise, this city, and this fan base, but Buddy’s Nix body of work extends far beyond this signing. The ability of Nix to re-sign or restructure the contracts of their our own players over the past year is equally important in my book. By re-signing or restructuring the contracts of Stevie, Fitz, Chandler, Urbik, Reinhart, K.Williams, Morrison, T.McGee, Lindell, Peers, and Wilson over the past year gives us stablity going into this year. This is the first time in a long time that we have kept our own key players and added to the core through free agency. Also, Nix has done a great job of finding undrafted free agents (i.e – Nelson, D.Jones, etc.) as well as picking players up from waivers (i.e – Ubrik).

For once we didn’t create more holes then we filled in an offseason. The holes on this team are getting less and less which is nice because now we can fill those final open holes through the draft as well as add to our depth through the draft, which is something this team sorely needs. If we can lock up Levitre and Byrd before free agency next year than that will further prove to the fan base that this franchise is serious. By no stretch am I saying we are Super Bowl contenders now, but the foundation is in place for success now as well as into the future. This is a young team that will continue to grow and mature. If we can continue to build through the draft (which Buddy has preached) we could make some noise over the next couple of years. The biggest wildcard for the Bills is if Fitz can be consistenly good. He doesn’t need to be a superstar, but he needs to stop being inconsistent. We have the pieces in place, now let’s see if we continue to build from this. Our chips are all in. Let’s go now.

Hats off to Buddy Nix and the gang for a job well done with the Mario signing as well as all other recent moves!

For once – Ralph is NOT cheap!

Let’s give major props to the front office. I think we all understand the importance of the Mario Williams signing and what it does for this defence, this franchise, this city, and this fan base, but Buddy’s Nix body of work extends far beyond this signing. The ability of Nix to re-sign or restructure the contracts of their our own players over the past year is equally important in my book. By re-signing or restructuring the contracts of Stevie, Fitz, Chandler, Urbik, Reinhart, K.Williams, Morrison, T.McGee, Lindell, Peers, and Wilson over the past year gives us stablity going into this year. This is the first time in a long time that we have kept our own key players and added to the core through free agency. Also, Nix has done a great job of finding undrafted free agents (i.e – Nelson, D.Jones, etc.) as well as picking players up from waivers (i.e – Ubrik).

For once we didn’t create more holes then we filled in an offseason. The holes on this team are getting less and less which is nice because now we can fill those final open holes through the draft as well as add to our depth through the draft, which is something this team sorely needs. If we can lock up Levitre and Byrd before free agency next year than that will further prove to the fan base that this franchise is serious. By no stretch am I saying we are Super Bowl contenders now, but the foundation is in place for success now as well as into the future. This is a young team that will continue to grow and mature. If we can continue to build through the draft (which Buddy has preached) we could make some noise over the next couple of years. The biggest wildcard for the Bills is if Fitz can be consistenly good. He doesn’t need to be a superstar, but he needs to stop being inconsistent. We have the pieces in place, now let’s see if we continue to build from this. Our chips are all in. Let’s go now.

Hats off to Buddy Nix and the gang for a job well done with the Mario signing as well as all other recent moves!

For once – Ralph is NOT cheap!

+1 The organization did everything first class and the results were outstanding!!

Edited by BRAWNDO

With these 2 articles, Buddy has cemented himself as the best GM since Polian. Now it's up to the PLAYERS to make the playoffs...

http://www.nfl.com/n...gn=Twitter_news

http://sports.yahoo....e_agency_031512

4-12 & 6-10 don't equal 4 super bowls with the Bills, 2 with the Colts last time i looked <_< kinda early for that sort of talk

However, this is a great move for the Buffalo Bills going forward, no question. Lets hope this move plus a good draft puts the Bills into a winning season and the playoffs for 2012 :worthy:

PTR can now gloat all he wants

Edited by Fear the Beard

PTR can now gloat all he wants

No gloating needed. I just wanted people to take a moment and appreciate what Nix did and how he pulled it off. I'm convinced he planned to roll cap money from 2011 to make a play for Mario. That is the kind of move we are in awe of when some other team does it....but WE did it!

PTR

How much cap room does this leave us? Hopefully we can still pick up a few key pieces.

*Now* can we start saying Nix is a good job?

I love that Nix has been active in his years as GM so far.

But in the end, it's results that matter. Right now we are looking at a combined record of 10-22. If we make progress this year, then definitely. But if not, then it's all been for not.