Buddy Nix is a good GM

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This maybe hard to imagine but maybe Nix didn't care about winning in 2010 because he knew the Bills still needed another year to be competitive? I know most GMs just snap their fingers and get good. We have to do it the old fashioned way.

PTR

You are right, I do find it hard to imagine a GM not caring about winning his first year. Particularly one who stated he didn't think the team was "that far away" before the 2010 season.

I understand that hope springs eternal in the minds of most Bills fans, its what kept the stadium filled the last decade despite all the losing.

But jeez, think ya can wait until Nix actually does something brilliant before you start praising him for it.

So far, SSDY

Edited by Fear the Beard

We haven't had a "Franchise" QB since Kelly retired. Butler did a terrible job as GM. By the time the team he inherited from Polian was broken up and he had to build a team on his own, he failed miserably. The 98, 99 and 2000 drafts netted us Sam Cowart, Peerless Price and Antoine Winfield. That's it. Three drafts and only 3 starters.

Keith Newman started 42 games in Buffalo and 77 in the NFL.

Robert Hicks started 21 games before he wrecked his knee in his third season. I remember him absolutely stoning Jason Taylor every time the two faced off. EVERY time.

Bryce Fisher played 7 seasons in the NFL and started 50 games.

Shawn Bryson played 7 seasons and started 27 games.

I'll grant that the players with the most "impact" were the 3 you stated but Butler left no stone unturned when he was with the organization and had 4 teams in 6 seasons that won at least 10 games. That's hardly a "terrible" job.

Keith Newman started 42 games in Buffalo and 77 in the NFL.

Robert Hicks started 21 games before he wrecked his knee in his third season. I remember him absolutely stoning Jason Taylor every time the two faced off. EVERY time.

Bryce Fisher played 7 seasons in the NFL and started 50 games.

Shawn Bryson played 7 seasons and started 27 games.

I'll grant that the players with the most "impact" were the 3 you stated but Butler left no stone unturned when he was with the organization and had 4 teams in 6 seasons that won at least 10 games. That's hardly a "terrible" job.

Butler was a good evaluator of talent and know what was needed talent wise to build a successful team

his skills at the "other" stuff was lacking which is what opened the door for Ralph to bring in OVerdorf

Butler relied on Littman for all of the salary cap stuff when he was GM, focusing on the talent side

While everyone was calling Ralph cheap and the Bills a Mickey Mouse franchise for sitting on $20M in cap space in 2011, Buddy Nix knew he was going to roll money into this free agency period. Maybe he had his eye on Mario Williams all along and was saving his budget for today? If he did then it was a brilliant move. Bravo, Buddy.

PTR

Good insight, PTR. This very well may have been "the plan." Buddy has been, in my eyes, the most straight-forward, smartest football minded Front Office guy we've had in a lot of years. A lot of Bills fans are excited about what they've been seeing in the last year especially. And many on this board have said so.

If he gets us some good free agents this year, bolstered by a good draft in April, it should really be a reason to party. Go Bills.

While everyone was calling Ralph cheap and the Bills a Mickey Mouse franchise for sitting on $20M in cap space in 2011, Buddy Nix knew he was going to roll money into this free agency period. Maybe he had his eye on Mario Williams all along and was saving his budget for today? If he did then it was a brilliant move. Bravo, Buddy.

PTR

PTR- I will admit, I have been skeptical (but not a hater) about Nix, but these last two days have won me over. It sure feels like everything is falling into place with Mario Williams... but no matter what happens with this, I can't help but be impressed.

Butler was a good evaluator of talent and know what was needed talent wise to build a successful team

his skills at the "other" stuff was lacking which is what opened the door for Ralph to bring in OVerdorf

Butler relied on Littman for all of the salary cap stuff when he was GM, focusing on the talent side

Two things to consider with Butler... it was during his tenure that the NFL salary cap came into affect...all of the sudden he goes from being a top NFL scout/talent evaluater, to an bean coutner? This was all unchartered territory when Butler served as the Bills GM. Sure, he had some whiffs in the draft (name one GM who didn't/hasn't), but don't discount the major role he played in building the Chargers into a near elite (underachieving I know) team in this century.

Edited by Buftex

PTR

He sure looks like an idiot now when a WR that he stated he was "targeting" is in his town, flown in on a private jet, and while in town signs with another team for less money. FAIL. He has been an average GM so far. Jury is out. Lets see if he gets Williams signed and makes some other good FA pickups and a good draft. We also still need a backup QB. He also permitted the hiring of Edwards as DC, which was a total fail.

You are right, I do find it hard to imagine a GM not caring about winning his first year. Particularly one who stated he didn't think the team was "that far away" before the 2010 season.

I understand that hope springs eternal in the minds of most Bills fans, its what kept the stadium filled the last decade despite all the losing.

But jeez, think ya can wait until Nix actually does something brilliant before you start praising him for it.

So far, SSDY

Yep. Bring in big FA, they sign elsewhere. People on this board remind me of the overoptimistic fans of the Pirates. "Trying" does not count. Winning does. Let's see if he can put a playoff team together before calling him brilliant.

PTR

The last 24 hours have been anything but SSDD.

PTR

I don't at all buy the premise that he deliberately tanked any previous seasons in the hope of landing a big name FA now.

But I do give him a lot of credit for having found himself in this cap situation and seeing a big name FA that he feels would make a immediate and significant impact, pulling the trigger and making a full court press for that FA (Williams). Not an easy proposition getting a guy that high on every GMs list, particularly for a small market team with a dismal recent history. Every indication is Nix is pulling out all the stops.

Ultimately the final judgement is not dinners in Buffalo, but signings. Nix was most likely used by Meachem, but he is still in the hunt for the top prize.

I don't at all buy the premise that he deliberately tanked any previous seasons in the hope of landing a big name FA now.

But I do give him a lot of credit for having found himself in this cap situation and seeing a big name FA that he feels would make a immediate and significant impact, pulling the trigger and making a full court press for that FA (Williams). Not an easy proposition getting a guy that high on every GMs list, particularly for a small market team with a dismal recent history. Every indication is Nix is pulling out all the stops.

Ultimately the final judgement is not dinners in Buffalo, but signings. Nix was most likely used by Meachem, but he is still in the hunt for the top prize.

I wouldn't call it "tanking the season." But maybe he felt the FAs would be better this year and he could roll his unused cap over? Just saying that is good strategy if he did that.

PTR

PTR

When i first saw the heading for this post i was like OH ya now there on the Buddy wagon , but then when i got here & saw who the poster was i thought then that it made good sense ..

Seeing that it was PTR he is one fan here that has the teams back no matter what & is of the true Bills fan status , so the shock or what i first thought in seeing the post is now gone , rock on PTR i have always liked what Buddy has set forth to do & the longer he's doing it the more i am behind his ways !!!

Although i will admit when i saw the article on Rumblings that they were corting M. Williams hard i about fell of my chair b/c i swore they (the Bills) would never spend that kind of cash on a player but i will recant all of what i have posted about bringing Mario to B/Lo !!

I WAS WRONGGGGGGGG :huh::angry::thumbdown::wallbash::blink::oops: !!!!!!!! GO BILLS :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got to agree - even if they meet their pursuit of these high priced guys with total failure, Nix has made his bones. He has a plan and is trying to build a winner...though, the true test is what they dso when they hit a roadblock, say the targets of their millions going elsewhere. Either way, Nix can stay a while...

I wouldn't call it "tanking the season." But maybe he felt the FAs would be better this year and he could roll his unused cap over? Just saying that is good strategy if he did that.

PTR

I get the sense that Nix believes in building through the draft, and building depth through mid-rang FA's...then go for the knock-out signing, when you feel like you are ready to turn the corner.

I disagree

I fully believe they tanked the fist year with the plan to get Cam Newton.

However, they screwed that up by only getting the 3rd pick. After an 0-8 start, they should have locked up #1 to ensure their choice, but figured they had some slack

I disagree

I fully believe they tanked the fist year with the plan to get Cam Newton.

However, they screwed that up by only getting the 3rd pick. After an 0-8 start, they should have locked up #1 to ensure their choice, but figured they had some slack

When did they start tanking ? Newton wasn't even on the radar at the beginning of the season. Have to disagree there. Conspiracy theories.. oy