Bills should stand pat

According to Barnwell the Bills are potentially in a position of trouble when it comes to making it to the cap floor. The Bills should focus on making sure guys like Freddy, McKelvin, and Levitre are locked up and happy and not make the mistake of overpaying for mid-tier guys (a la Derrick Dockery). He says that the Bills should lay low.

The only situation the Bills should sign a free agent in Barnwell's mind is dropping 40 mil into the wallet of Super Mario.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/19724/free-agent-countdown-teams-that-should-lay-low

Well, Bill Barnwell from Football Outsiders and Grantland… Bill Simmons' baby.

Thanks for posting this!

Looking forward to reading it.

"They've already done that with Stevie Johnson, but they might also consider deals for offensive lineman Andy Levitre, slot corner/returner Leodis McKelvin, and even 31-year-old running back Fred Jackson, who has just 817 professional carries and might actually play younger than his age would indicate."

"The problem, though, is that Buffalo's about to get squeezed by the new CBA rules. In 2013, the spending floor that the union fought to have included in the new bargaining agreement comes into play, which means that the Bills will need to spend 89 percent of the cap in cash on an annual basis. That means a payroll in excess of $100 million, and the Bills only have two ways to get there."

From 2008-2010 the Bills averaged 92% of the cap in cash, well over the required 89%. Last year they spent $130M or 106% of the cap in cash, again, well over the required 89%.

TLDR: The salary floor in 2013 won't faze us, Barnwell didn't do his research.

Whether he's right or wrong on the cap floor, locking-up the young talent is a good idea and one they're already pursuing. But I'd still go after a guy like Wimbley, even trading for him so as to help ensure getting him.

Interesting point of view, never really thought about it in that regard. I don't think anyone would mind going all out for Mario Williams, at the same time regardless we're going to have to spend more than other teams any way you look at it.

I sort of disagree, we can sign a couple of good players in FA (and we would be crazy not to try to Make Williams one of them). IMO it has a lot more to do with how the contacts are structured, when you are playing with somewhere around 30 million but good read anyhow. I like reading Barnwell, good writer :)

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/19276/why-are-nfl-teams-afraid-of-the-dark

Interesting read as well.

I sort of disagree, we can sign a couple of good players in FA (and we would be crazy not to try to Make Williams one of them). IMO it has a lot more to do with how the contacts are structured, when you are playing with somewhere around 30 million but good read anyhow. I like reading Barnwell, good writer :)

http://www.grantland...aid-of-the-dark

Interesting read as well.

Wow.

You can agree or disagree with some of his assertions (I generally agree) but regardless that's some deep stuff.

His discussion about Marshawn Lynch was very interesting.

Thanks for posting, Bowery.

Wow.

You can agree or disagree with some of his assertions (I generally agree) but regardless that's some deep stuff.

His discussion about Marshawn Lynch was very interesting.

Thanks for posting, Bowery.

"Two is that [Lynch] busted out one of the greatest runs in NFL history during the playoff win over the Saints, who were apparently receiving bounties for falling on their asses and lollygagging down the field during that game."

:lol:

"Two is that [Lynch] busted out one of the greatest runs in NFL history during the playoff win over the Saints, who were apparently receiving bounties for falling on their asses and lollygagging down the field during that game."

:lol:

All I remember about that run is Tracy Porter getting stiffarmed so hard that, even though he could have caught up with Lynch, he didn't even want to attempt another tackle so he jogged the last 10 yards on the opposite angle of attack.

"The problem, though, is that Buffalo's about to get squeezed by the new CBA rules. In 2013, the spending floor that the union fought to have included in the new bargaining agreement comes into play, which means that the Bills will need to spend 89 percent of the cap in cash on an annual basis. That means a payroll in excess of $100 million, and the Bills only have two ways to get there."

From 2008-2010 the Bills averaged 92% of the cap in cash, well over the required 89%. Last year they spent $130M or 106% of the cap in cash, again, well over the required 89%.

What else is there to say? This guy needs to get his facts straight.

I agree with this in so much as not going for broke on free agents. The article acts like we shouldn't sign anyone, which is retarded. Get more Nick Barnetts.

PTR

As always, PTR, your views are exceedingly pessimistic and, to wit, unrealistic. The Bills have the ONLY Nick Barnett in the league.

:ph34r:

I like what he said about Freddy's carries though. While it doesn't take into account receptions, his carries are not far from how many carries Steven Jackson had in about two seasons.

He's probably only counting NFL carries not his European football league carries. I could be wrong on that. Jackson will still be 31 which is old for a RB. Sorry guys I love him too but you can't expect 2011 production going forward for very long if at all.

The most important thing is to not overpay sub-elite free agents. Open up the checkbook for Super Mario, sure. But don't spend big for lower-tier guys like Colston, Manningham*, Wayne (he is old), etc. Remember that beyond just how bad it was in and of itself, the Dockery signing was also what first got Jason Peters PO-ed. And Chris Kelsay's first re-signing got Aaron Schobel upset. (Which no one ever talks about, because the Bills quickly gave Schobel a new deal, even though he had 3 years left on his old deal. Then decided they didn't do that anymore when Peters got upset.) Vincent Jackson is the one WR that might be both available and worth the big price tag. I personally say he is not elite and not worth going after, but you can make a good argument that he's at least borderline elite.

But the point is, you're fine to go after cheap guys like Nick Barnett, Andra' Davis, or Reggie Torbor (remember folks, cheap guys don't always pan out -- they're cheap for a reason!), and you're fine to spend big on an elite talent like Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, or Albert Haynesworth (ouch, even the elite guys don't always work either, but it's worth the risk), but never spend Steve Hutchinson money on Derrick Dockery.

*Especially Manningham! How many mediocre players need to have a big game in the Super Bowl, get way overpaid that offseason, then never live up to that contract before teams figure it out? Manningham began the last two seasons as a starter and lost his starting job as the season progressed both times. He's a decent NFL player who made a phenomenal catch in the Super Bowl.

Just more lazy reporting attempting to fit the writer's agenda. Just the fact they rolled over cap space from the previous year and increased their payroll commitment as a result should be enough proof the the 89% threshold is no big deal. I also get the impression teams are making deals with an eye toward the increased TV revenues which, I believe, kick in for the 2014 season.

GO BILLS!!!

They don't need to go crazy like the Redskins use to do in free agency. But the Bills need to add a couple of pieces via free agency. They don't have the picks to overhaul the D and tweak the O. They have too many holes to simply build completely through the draft. I would say they need to get a WR, OLB, and OT in free agency (Along with some depth) then they could focus the draft. But they need a modest infusion of talent via the draft.

I do agree with the author that the Bills shouldn't spend all their cap room on getting talent this off-season. Leaving room for the resigning of their own players in the next off season.

Edited by billsfan89

Sounds like pretty sound thinking to me !! The guy has a good point , if Buddy believes (which we all know he does) that the way to build a team is through the draft then get our guys signed & bring in young talent & let the scouts do their job .

So far it seems to be working pretty good & if Buddy continues the way we have been going i think we are going to be better off than a lot of the teams that blow huge money & in a couple of years need to get rid of players b/c they over paid ..

Like a dink in Dallas !! Did i say that ?? :blush: