4 FA signings that could cost between 20-25 mill a year

Marques Colston- $8 mill/year. He has northeast roots from attending Hofstra, so has played in cold. 6'4 225lbs. big receiver Buddy talked out in presser at end of season. Has had at least 1000 yrd and 7 TD's in 5 out of his first 6 seasons. The one season he didnt, he got hurt. While everone is whining and dining VJ,, Buddy should swoop in and get the better WR on the market for a cheaper price.

Jeremy Mincey- $6 mill/year. Had 8 sacks last year and 5 the year before in his 2 first years gettin significant playing time. He is starting to come into his own and could be a nice solid addition to an already very good DL.

Martellus Bennett- $4 mill/year. Has never really gotten a chance in Dallas playing behind Witten and Phillips but is the exceptional blocker Chan wants to have in his offense, and has the ability to become a very solid if not better all around TE. Ill take Bennett over Chandler any day.

Terrell Thomas- $3/4 mill/year with incentives. Yes I know he has blown his knee out twice, but hes still only 27, and when hes healthy, he is a big physical corner who could really help out the Bills defensive backfield.

These 4 player's arent the sexiest picks in the 2012 FA pool but are def 4 guys that could be brought in fast by Buddy and get signed, somewhere near the price I predicted. All 4 could really help the Bills get to the next level.

Then Buddy takes LT J.Martin at 10 to solidify the OL and he doesnt have to reach for his DE here. Use the picks in round 2,3,4, and 5 to focus on DE's, OLB's,and maybe even a future QB to finish out the draft.

These 4 FA pickups plus Martin at 10 and multiple picks on day 2 and 3 to address the pash rush and this puts the Buffalo Bills in good position to make first playoff appearance since 1999.

Thx for the tip on Thomas. When healthy he is worth 7/8 mill a year range but coming off 2 ACL tears, he's not worth anything in that range. That's whyy I said 3/4 with incentives, but if the Giants or some other team want to take the risk and spend the money, let them. There's other talent available between 3-5 million range who could help out the team.

Mine would be TE John Carlson (Bennett has had chances to show something but has never done it), LB/DE Kamerion Wimbley (Williams will be too expensive and probably doesn't want to be in Buffalo), and WR Laurent Robinson.

What about Manny Lawson. This guy is a free agent isn't he? I swear I must be dreaming when I don't hear people talking about him more.

I wondered why they didn't sign him LAST year. I know he hasn't been outstanding, but just getting up to "average" at linebacker would be a huge improvement in the defense.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I wondered why they didn't sign him LAST year. I know he hasn't been outstanding, but just getting up to "average" at linebacker would be a huge improvement in the defense.

I started a thread about lawson a few weeks ago, I think he's the perfect fit for our D.

Was Lawson anything special last year? In 16 games he had 52 total tackles (40% assisted) and 1.5 sacks.

I can't honestly say that I watched him play much, but I know the Bengals had a very good D. Here is a thread from when he was with the 49ers that shows how the fans felt about him there (they seem to love him). As I said, getting the linebacking corps up to "average" would be a big step...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=433557

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I'd much rather have Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett.

The kid's a talented head-case. He's even too much for Jerry Jones to put up with, which is why he's a FA. The same Jerry Jones who was OK with PacMan Jones on his team is tired of Bennett. He doesn't go hard consistently in games or practice. We want to spend big cash on him why??

I agree about Colston though - I'd be all over grabbing him - and with the cloud hanging over the Saints, leaving town is probably not too unappealing for him.

Edited by BobChalmers

Mine would be TE John Carlson (Bennett has had chances to show something but has never done it), LB/DE Kamerion Wimbley (Williams will be too expensive and probably doesn't want to be in Buffalo), and WR Laurent Robinson.

I hate the OPs FA list. I hope we sign 0 of those players.

I like Doc's list much better. I hope we sign 3 of those players.

colstons 5 knee surgeries and age tell me i wouldnt want any of that, meachem tho i would be happy with and it would free your cap scenario up to spend more on other players

Colston has taken a pounding over the years, plays in the slot, mostly in a dome, and with one of the best QBs in the league. It's caveat emptor with him.

I'd say that my list is very realistic.

Marques Colston- $8 mill/year. He has northeast roots from attending Hofstra, so has played in cold. 6'4 225lbs. big receiver Buddy talked out in presser at end of season. Has had at least 1000 yrd and 7 TD's in 5 out of his first 6 seasons. The one season he didnt, he got hurt. While everone is whining and dining VJ,, Buddy should swoop in and get the better WR on the market for a cheaper price.

Jeremy Mincey- $6 mill/year. Had 8 sacks last year and 5 the year before in his 2 first years gettin significant playing time. He is starting to come into his own and could be a nice solid addition to an already very good DL.

Martellus Bennett- $4 mill/year. Has never really gotten a chance in Dallas playing behind Witten and Phillips but is the exceptional blocker Chan wants to have in his offense, and has the ability to become a very solid if not better all around TE. Ill take Bennett over Chandler any day.

Terrell Thomas- $3/4 mill/year with incentives. Yes I know he has blown his knee out twice, but hes still only 27, and when hes healthy, he is a big physical corner who could really help out the Bills defensive backfield.

These 4 player's arent the sexiest picks in the 2012 FA pool but are def 4 guys that could be brought in fast by Buddy and get signed, somewhere near the price I predicted. All 4 could really help the Bills get to the next level.

Then Buddy takes LT J.Martin at 10 to solidify the OL and he doesnt have to reach for his DE here. Use the picks in round 2,3,4, and 5 to focus on DE's, OLB's,and maybe even a future QB to finish out the draft.

These 4 FA pickups plus Martin at 10 and multiple picks on day 2 and 3 to address the pash rush and this puts the Buffalo Bills in good position to make first playoff appearance since 1999.

Positionally, I like your ideas.

I'm down with Colston, but I'd actually prefer a guy like Garcon, who's got a bit more speed. Jackson, of course, would be the ideal pickup, but Garcon might be more cost effective (plus he's not 1 DUI away from a long suspension, as Jackson is).

I'm not much of a Mincey guy. His numbers look good at a glance, but 5 of his 8 sacks last year came in the 2 games against the Colts, who had a brutal offensive line and were always playing from behind (so they were throwing on every play). I'm not saying Mincey won't be a good player with his next team, I'm just apprehensive about handing him the $12M in guaranteed money I think he'll get on the open market.

I'll pass on Bennett. I'd love another well-rounded TE on the roster, but he's been a headcase with Dallas and will want way more than he's actually worth. I'd much rather go after a guy like John Carlson, Kellen Davis, or Joel Dreessen. They'll likely be just as productive, with fewer off-field distractions, and for less money.

Love Thomas, but agree with the other poster that he won't come cheap. He's probably destined for Jabari Greer-type money at $5.5-$6M per year for 4-5 years. Just my guess. Also, it wouldn't shock me if the Giants let him walk, as they're already paying big money to Corey Webster and drafted Prince Amukamara last year. Plus, with their pass rush, they don't need great corners.

Just my 2 cents.

Here is some stuff I wrote about lawson a few weeks ago on here:

I think Lawson would be a key signing this offseason. He played in a 3-4 with san francisco but is much more suited as a 4-3 Sam LB position. The Sam LB to me is our next biggest void on the D besides the pass rush. He's 28, had some injuries in the past but has been healthy the last few seasons. I think he is worth that risk and would be a solid move by the FO to solidify the front 7. Here is a quick write up:

Manny Lawson, OLB, Bengals. Age: 28.

As expected, Manny Lawson thrived in the 4-3. He was a stout run defender as a two-down strongside linebacker in Cincinnati's stop unit.

Shep and Barnett would be our 3-down LBs and Lawson on early/run downs. He signed a 1-year $3mil deal with Cincy, lock him up for 3 or 4 years at around that rate and we instantly have stability in our LB corps.

Also from RotoWorld

Bengals agreed to terms with LB Manny Lawson on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson projects the former 49er as Cincinnati's Week 1 starter at strong-side 'backer. Lawson, 27, racked up nine sacks and a pick in San Francisco over the past two seasons. He has some Adalius Thomas to his game as a cover linebacker, which should appeal to Thomas' old coach, Marvin Lewis. Lawson has enough speed to run with tight ends and is a quality run defender. It's a very nice value pickup for the Bengals.

It looks like he's got cover skills too and length (6'5"), we may actually have someone to match up against Gronk.

He also played played on the same DL as Mario Williams at NC State (and cough... John McCargo... cough).

Positionally, I like your ideas.

I'm down with Colston, but I'd actually prefer a guy like Garcon, who's got a bit more speed. Jackson, of course, would be the ideal pickup, but Garcon might be more cost effective (plus he's not 1 DUI away from a long suspension, as Jackson is).

Laurent Robinson would cost a lot less than any of those guys, has 4.38 speed, and looks to be starting to "get it."

Robert Meachem wr saints say 4.5 million

Erin Henderson wlb vikings say 3.5 million

Martellus Bennet te cowboy say 3.25 million

Brandon Carr db Chiefs say 9.75 million

I don't think any of these contract are unreasonable for either parties. Of course it would leave that hole at de that is still there but I think it will be filled with Merriman, Carrington, and a draft pick (hopefully Mercilus). I only spent 21 million and think the team would be improved tremendously with these signings.

Thank you to the OP for posting some well thought out options for us. I would like to see Lawson here as well, though for some reason I think the FO is intent on handing the SLB job to Morrison (remember, we're looking for smaller quicker LBs according to the coaches). I like Robert Meachem (6'2, 210) and I think he is the type of WR we are realistically more likely to pick up over VJax. I'm not sure we look to pick up another TE, unless it's a waiver wire pickup in June (we've picked up like 3 in Chix's first couple of years here).

If we get two of the top 3 on that list I'll lay a bill on Buffalo in Vegas.

Optimistic are we? LOL. They could sign all 4 and I'd still be skeptical. The Bills haven't done or won anything yet. Lots and lots to prove to me and the fans of Buffalo...

Edited by mattsox

Thank you to the OP for posting some well thought out options for us. I would like to see Lawson here as well, though for some reason I think the FO is intent on handing the SLB job to Morrison (remember, we're looking for smaller quicker LBs according to the coaches). I like Robert Meachem (6'2, 210) and I think he is the type of WR we are realistically more likely to pick up over VJax. I'm not sure we look to pick up another TE, unless it's a waiver wire pickup in June (we've picked up like 3 in Chix's first couple of years here).

I have also come to the realization that Morrison will probably be our starting SLB with Moats backing him up. Considering that we will be in 2 LB sets (nickle package)a lot of the time it really makes it difficult to justify Lawson because it puts less emphasis on that position. I will say that Lawson does have ideal size and cover skills to match up with TEs (gronk) and for that alone could be worth the investment.

Here is some stuff I wrote about lawson a few weeks ago on here:

I think Lawson would be a key signing this offseason. He played in a 3-4 with san francisco but is much more suited as a 4-3 Sam LB position. The Sam LB to me is our next biggest void on the D besides the pass rush. He's 28, had some injuries in the past but has been healthy the last few seasons. I think he is worth that risk and would be a solid move by the FO to solidify the front 7. Here is a quick write up:

Manny Lawson, OLB, Bengals. Age: 28.

As expected, Manny Lawson thrived in the 4-3. He was a stout run defender as a two-down strongside linebacker in Cincinnati's stop unit.

Shep and Barnett would be our 3-down LBs and Lawson on early/run downs. He signed a 1-year $3mil deal with Cincy, lock him up for 3 or 4 years at around that rate and we instantly have stability in our LB corps.

Also from RotoWorld

Bengals agreed to terms with LB Manny Lawson on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson projects the former 49er as Cincinnati's Week 1 starter at strong-side 'backer. Lawson, 27, racked up nine sacks and a pick in San Francisco over the past two seasons. He has some Adalius Thomas to his game as a cover linebacker, which should appeal to Thomas' old coach, Marvin Lewis. Lawson has enough speed to run with tight ends and is a quality run defender. It's a very nice value pickup for the Bengals.

It looks like he's got cover skills too and length (6'5"), we may actually have someone to match up against Gronk.

He also played played on the same DL as Mario Williams at NC State (and cough... John McCargo... cough).

I'm with ya, but I think people in this thread wanna talk about wide receivers.

I'd much rather have Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett.

I'm with you on this one, Bob.

As for the other names mentioned in this thread, I believe Wannstedt recently said that he likes his linebackers to be real fast… so I think that Manny Lawson is not a good fit for Wanny's system (however Bruce Irvin or Zach Brown on the other hand… ).

The two wideouts from this free agent class I would most like the Bills to pursue are Laurent Robinson and Pierre Garcon.

Both of these guys are pretty young, very talented, look to be very productive as they enter their primes, and may command a bit less than some of the bigger names out there.

The numbers Garcon put up with Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins at QB are nothing short of amazing.

And Laurent Robinson was easily the best wideout in Dallas this year, far outplaying Dez Bryant and Miles Austin when he finally got a chance to play.

colstons 5 knee surgeries and age tell me i wouldnt want any of that, meachem tho i would be happy with and it would free your cap scenario up to spend more on other players

I actually know a few docs that have worked with colston over the years and without crossing too many lines they've said he's in surprisingly good shape really

Colston has taken a pounding over the years, plays in the slot, mostly in a dome, and with one of the best QBs in the league. It's caveat emptor with him.

I'd say that my list is very realistic.

Hes played on the outside mostly. Not always, based on packages but quite a bit.

As for the other names mentioned in this thread, I believe Wannstedt recently said that he likes his linebackers to be real fast… so I think that Manny Lawson is not a good fit for Wanny's system (however Bruce Irvin or Zach Brown on the other hand… ).

The two wideouts from this free agent class I would most like the Bills to pursue are Laurent Robinson and Pierre Garcon.

Both of these guys are pretty young, very talented, look to be very productive as they enter their primes, and may command a bit less than some of the bigger names out there.

The numbers Garcon put up with Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins at QB are nothing short of amazing.

And Laurent Robinson was easily the best wideout in Dallas this year, far outplaying Dez Bryant and Miles Austin when he finally got a chance to play.

I like both. Garçon matured a lot through the Haiti crisis and seems to have a great head on his shoulders

Robinson has ties to nix in SD

1331126722[/url]' post='2397471']

Likewise. I don't want Colston or Bennett. Thomas will be too expensive and Mincey is eh. I picture him being the newest version of dawn edwards/spencer Johnson....decent player, but a player we can love w/o, and he'll be more expensive.

Wimberly, Carlson and Robinson are all good players. I think Wimberlys gonna command 8-10 mill per though, especially if he signs with us. While I think it's doubtful, the two other guys I like are Lawson and Garçon. Garçon should be a little cheaper than Stevie and has the speed we need. Lawson will be mid lvl salary as well and would start from day 1. I wonder of buddy think we have our 3 starting lbs already (sheppard, Barnett and sign Morrison). Sure hope not.

1331169869[/url]' post='2398201']

I'm not sure how fast Lawson is 5-6 years in the league but I believe he ran a 4.42 at the combine. Pretty darn fast.

I'm not sure how fast Lawson is 5-6 years in the league but I believe he ran a 4.42 at the combine. Pretty darn fast.

Holy Crap, really!?

Isn't he really huge? Like 6'5" and 250?

Watching him play for the Niners I was never impressed with his speed or quickness.

I guess I wasn't watching closely enough.

My brother has jumped fully on the Robinson bandwagon. Having not seen much of Robinson, whom would you choose, Garcon or Robinson (factoring in what each will get paid)?

My brother has jumped fully on the Robinson bandwagon. Having not seen much of Robinson, whom would you choose, Garcon or Robinson (factoring in what each will get paid)?

I've seen a lot of Robinson play because of Fantasy Football.

I thought he would have clicked when he was on the Rams, but it didn't happen.

He looked great on the Cowgirls. He started as an injury replacement then the 4th option, as teams focused on Austin (when back) Bryant (when Back) and Witten and was open and took advantage of it.

By the end of the season teams were keying on Robinson and he was still performing.

He would be a great fit with SJ13, Nelson, Chandler, FJAX & Spiller coming out of the backfield.

I would love a Robinson signing,

Garcon I'm not as impressed with, although he did look good with Painter and Orlovsky.

I wouldn't hate a Garcon signing I'd just fear that he might not perform as well.

Either way Garcon or Robinson is a huge upgrade to The Ghost of Easely\Donald Jones\CJ Spiller\Ruvell Martin\Naaman Rossevelt

And more importantly would solidify the #10 pick as one of the Top 4 OT.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Holy Crap, really!?

Isn't he really huge? Like 6'5" and 250?

Watching him play for the Niners I was never impressed with his speed or quickness.

I guess I wasn't watching closely enough.

Yea - 6'5 and 240. Maybe a case of straight line speed vs agility? Especially at that height maybe changing directions loses a step?

Haven't seen many games with him and never keyed on his play when I did though - so maybe your just wrong!

I've seen a lot of Robinson play because of Fantasy Football.

I thought he would have clicked when he was on the Rams, but it didn't happen.

He looked great on the Cowgirls. He started as an injury replacement then the 4th option, as teams focused on Austin (when back) Bryant (when Back) and Witten and was open and took advantage of it.

By the end of the season teams were keying on Robinson and he was still performing.

He would be a great fit with SJ13, Nelson, Chandler, FJAX & Spiller coming out of the backfield.

I would love a Robinson signing,

Garcon I'm not as impressed with, although he did look good with Painter and Orlovsky.

I wouldn't hate a Garcon signing I'd just fear that he might not perform as well.

Either way Garcon or Robinson is a huge upgrade to The Ghost of Easely\Donald Jones\CJ Spiller\Ruvell Martin\Naaman Rossevelt

And more importantly would solidify the #10 pick as one of the Top 4 OT.

Yeah, but did he perform only because it was a contract year? He did almost nothing his first 4 years in the league.

I would go after him, but not break the bank. However I think he'd expect at least what Stevie got.

Yea - 6'5 and 240. Maybe a case of straight line speed vs agility? Especially at that height maybe changing directions loses a step?

Haven't seen many games with him and never keyed on his play when I did though - so maybe your just wrong!

His 3-cone, short shuttle, VJ, and BJ numbers were excellent as well. Could be more of a workout warrior.

Yeah, but did he perform only because it was a contract year? He did almost nothing his first 4 years in the league.

I would go after him, but not break the bank. However I think he'd expect at least what Stevie got.

His 3-cone, short shuttle, VJ, and BJ numbers were excellent as well. Could be more of a workout warrior.

He was injured for part of the time on the Lambs.

I don't think anyone in the NFL is planning to offer him 7.5M a season.

I think 5M a season will be wear he signs.

He has essentially been in "a contract year" for the last two years.

I don't believe he has a lazy, work ethic issue, but thats for Buddy and other GMs to determine.